• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Poll: Sub or Dub?

Sub or Dub?

• Sub

Votes: 54 63.5%
  • Dub

Votes: 31 36.5%

• Total voters

Meeptasm

Eevee of Mystery
Years
Hey, everyone! I've had many friends with different views on anime/cartoons, some saying they like the Japanese versions with english subs and the others preferring the American dubs. Just to see where the PC community stands on this, I'd like it if you could vote for your preference of anime. Thank you for your time!

P.S.: I will only watch anime if it's subbed. After localization, I just don't find the dubbed voices fitting for the character. Also, American dubs censor a lot of what was in the original.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Anyway, I say both. Generally Japanese is better due to the fact that the anime were created with being spoken in Japanese in mind, thus there is allowed for more freedom in the Japanese (voice acting training is also a bigger deal over there, or rather, it was). Dubs, on the other hand, are only as good as the script their given, and similarly Voice Actors are also only as good as the scripts their given. For instance, I'm playing The Last Remnant and the main character is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, a great voice actor (he also voices Vash the Stampede and Kaneda from Akira. Oh, and Ichigo Kurosaki). Problem is, the script they give the character is so cliched and a failed attempt at capturing the contemporary audience that his own performance comes off that way. Dubs are restricted to what they're given, and they can't make any really changes without pissing someone off. Luckily, as time goes on, script writing gets better and better (Persona 4 and Summer Wars are two examples, even if the former is a game (it's probably got my favorite dub in any piece of media)), and as such, so does voice acting. Similarly, as anime becomes more prominent, people get better voice acting training, thus leading to more good voice actors.

So, in my case, I'll watch dubbed if it's available, subbed if it's not. Plus, I always go language over quality, so if there's a dubbed version available and a higher quality subbed version, I might take the subbed version. Reason being, anime is art, and I don't like to avert my attention from the show to read the text.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I wouldn't watch a dubbed live-action film or TV show, so I'd rather not watch a dubbed anime either. I'm sure that many dubs are very professionally done, but there'd always be something in the back of my mind saying "this isn't what was originally aired". The Japanese voice actors would have had direction from the actual director of the episode, as opposed to a one from the dubbing company, and the way that the mouths move is never going to be a 100%-sync do the original designs. But those are admittedly nitpicky concerns. For me, I just like to see the original product, be it in Japanese with horrible voice acting. I'm anal for stuff like this, really. Having said that, I don't judge people who prefer dubs; I'm just not one of them. :D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I wouldn't watch a dubbed live-action film or TV show, so I'd rather not watch a dubbed anime either. I'm sure that many dubs are very professionally done, but there'd always be something in the back of my mind saying "this isn't what was originally aired". The Japanese voice actors would have had direction from the actual director of the episode, as opposed to a one from the dubbing company, and the way that the mouths move is never going to be a 100%-sync do the original designs. But those are admittedly nitpicky concerns. For me, I just like to see the original product, be it in Japanese with horrible voice acting. I'm anal for stuff like this, really. Having said that, I don't judge people who prefer dubs; I'm just not one of them. :D
Usually they do, most anime, rather than trying to match the lips to the words (other than for powerful moments, in some cases) use looping animations between several different mouth movements that are relative to what is being said, thus they can talk for a long amount of time and it would take little effort to animate. Not every anime does this, but most do, so it's usually not a problem in localization/translation since it also looks natural in translation.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Yeah, anime uses flaps for the most part so it doesn't matter what language it's dubbed in, it's completley different than the dubbing of a live action.

As for the director directing the voice actors, it could happen. But really, make your voice sound angry when the character is angry doesn't take a lot of directing.

Years
For me, it usually depends on the setting. If the setting is blatantly Japanese (Sengoku Basara being the first example that pops into my mind), then I'll stick with the sub. Otherwise, I ALWAYS watch the dub if it's available...unless it's just horrible, but that doesn't happen often these days.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I prefer the dubs because reading the subs sometimes takes away from the immersion of the plot because I pay attention more to them then whats happening.
Saying that I can't watch something dubbed if I saw it subbed first because it just won't stand up to it and the different voice actors will kill me, even thought they are just for different languages.

So my stand, Dubbed if available, subbed if not and is worth watching.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
Honestly I like both. I enjoy watching dubs a little it more then I do watching subs. I really don't mind the subs. The only time I dislike a dub is when the voice-acting is bad.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
raws

I generally go subbed as far as anime goes. Japanese voice acting sounds a lot less forced to me.

and while voice actors here HAVE gotten better, that also means that dubs can't really push bad shows into the "so bad it's good" territory anymore

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I hate English dub. I was watching it but at some point I started to hate it...
Japanese is beautiful language and it fits anime perfectly.
Even Pokémon which was anime I watched in English for a long time started to be boring in English.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
God, dubs. Give me dubs any day. English dubs though, not like Japanese people trying to speak English.

I wouldn't watch a live-action movie with subtitles, I wouldn't do it for anime either.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I go for the English dubs of anime. I've seen a few subs here and there, but I don't find some of them particularly interesting.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I don't mind sub or dub, my preference neither - closer to sub (that's my vote in poll). I do want to first watch the anime in a language I understand (English or Spanish) and then later to watch the original (as long as its not English or Spanish the originals - in this case Japanese). Many banned episodes I do have to see it with subtitles to understand whats going on in the cartoon, maybe just the first time. Like Graceful (after my post) mention while learning Japanese, its great to listen, watch, or eat too not loose what little we learn at times.

Also agree on the changes of the jokes and phrases to suit the dubbed language better.

• I find the subtitles too distracting.
• Many dubs don't match up with the voices of the characters (by lip movement).

Last edited:

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
I prefer the subs.
First of all - I'm learning Japanese so it helps to be surrounded by the language XD
Second - I like it because it's in it's original form. And also, with dubs, the conversations completely change. I mean, they could be completely serious in a Japanese version but in a dubbed version, they could be attempting to crack an extremely bad joke. Also, I've grown used to multi-tasking which includes reading the subtitles and watching what's happening :3

I only watch dubs if I'm watching anime with someone, such as my brother. I can name a fair amount of good anime dubs and decent English voice actors, but I prefer the Japanese seiyuus.
Also. Johnny Yong Bosch is a perfect example of a (wayyy more than) decent English voice actor, but Daisuke Ono is equally as good (Both played Itsuki Koizumi in the Haruhi Suzumiya series)

Matthew

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2015
I opt for subs. I remember a few good English dubs -- Death Note, Full Metal Panic, Bleach, but other than those, English subs work out for me just fine. I even can't imagine an anime character speaking English tbh.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I opt for subs. I remember a few good English dubs -- Death Note, Full Metal Panic, Bleach, but other than those, English subs work out for me just fine. I even can't imagine an anime character speaking English tbh.
Why not? There are a crapton of anime that either take place in America/Europe, don't take place in Japan, or take place in a world where Japan exists (especially the last one). What's so hard to imagine about them speaking English?

Matthew

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2015
Why not? There are a crapton of anime that either take place in America/Europe, don't take place in Japan, or take place in a world where Japan exists (especially the last one). What's so hard to imagine about them speaking English?

Nothing to people who have watched a lot of anime, but I don't. I've watched very little anime, particularly mainstreams like Bleach and Naruto who I'm presuming all take place in Japan. I started a couple of years ago. I tried watching few anime which I only found dubbed and I honestly hated the dubbing. It's probably a case of not watching a lot of anime outside of Japan that I said that, but yes, I can't really picture an anime character speaking English.

Do you recommend any good English-dubbed anime -- with voices that actually complement the characters?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Nothing to people who have watched a lot of anime, but I don't. I've watched very little anime, particularly mainstreams like Bleach and Naruto who I'm presuming all take place in Japan. I started a couple of years ago. I tried watching few anime which I only found dubbed and I honestly hated the dubbing. It's probably a case of not watching a lot of anime outside of Japan that I said that, but yes, I can't really picture an anime character speaking English.

Do you recommend any good English-dubbed anime -- with voices that actually complement the characters?
Baccano, Eden of the East, Summer Wars (which has an all-star cast) and Cowboy Bebop; the first of which you have to watch in English. There are very few English dubs that I say are so authentic that they completely outdue the Japanese one, but Baccano fits the bill.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I mostly watch the Japanese version. I watch German and English dubs occasionally for the lulz. I started watching Durara on English recently, and it's hilarious. Don't know if it's in the "so-bad-it's-good" category, but they always make me laugh when they talk.

The only shows where I really avoid dubs are shows like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and similar shows. I used to watch them dubbed, but Yu-Gi-Oh! is a different show on Japanese. I mean it's obvious why (4Kids). Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z on the other hand have the same story, but they changed the script and edited some stuff.

Back