• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Anime Chat Café

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
And I will start by saying something ranty:
I just watched the Zoroark movie. The plot wasn't centered to children, but rather the children and the countless parents watching. It was a cohesive plot, and the ending was a genuine twist. And Kodai is a genuinely disgusting villain. Why can't they make more Pokémon movies like this (and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew)?
It's too bad the movie failed to advertise Zoroark as Lucario's successor, thus not becoming OU material unlike the former. They even quickly went back to advertising Lucario and abandoned Zoroark during the 2nd season of Best Wishes.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
That's…waaaaaaaaaay too late.

I personally dropped off the Decolora arc. Twenty episodes of Ash coming home just won't cut it for me—and with no goal in sight, it was just antics after antics after antics. I then got turned off when I skipped to the two last episodes, where Cilan and Iris just… went… just like that.
Yeah, it didn't took us that long for us to see Lucario's anime debut in DP, so I guess they really did lose faith in Zoroark for its lack of popularity.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
The one thing that I feel Best Wishes did far better than the other series was the art. The textures were much more defined and there were more translucent animations than before.

Here is a comparison of an Orange Island and a Decolore Island:
Spoiler:

And XY's artwork has been even more impressive imo
Spoiler:

i love the op's design btw

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Those are some really gorgeous screenies. Almost makes you wish you lived in those places, haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 1, 2017
I already live with my fantasy in the great Pokemon World. :D

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Okay, so we're still going through XY, and I think I'm feeling fatigued from it.
I feel like that, too. But, for me, it has more to do with the fact that this anime releases a new episode almost every week than anything to do with XY in particular. There are no seasonal breaks or anything, and after a while the anime always gets to the point where following it starts becoming more of a chore than anything enjoyable.

But FWIW, I feel like XY's second year is shaping up to be more interesting than the first. There's more stuff to look forward to, IMHO: Satoshi vs. Citron, Serena's Tripokalons, Numera's storyline, the kid with the Kimori who showed up in the opening, new Mega Evolution specials, etc. Before, XY had so little going on that it felt uncomfortably like Jouto.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I feel like the first year of XY was just... a lot of building. Especially concerning things like Serena. But the second year of XY, just from the OP, might be more of that we all want with the series. It's taken them a lot time -- too long for a lot of people -- to get the point but hopefully they'll finally be getting to that point.

If that makes any sense at all. But like what Lizardo said I'm looking forward to what the second year of XY is going to be like. I really hope they don't disappoint me.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
Years
Now lets talk filler episodes. I actually don't hate all of them. In order for a filler episode to be good for me, it has to make up for the lack of story progression. To do this, you have to make it as funny, entertaining, or interesting as possible so you still get a fun ride. For example, The Bicker the Better is one of my more favorite filler episode because of how much of a fun ride it is to watch. I also like A Hot Water Battle due to it starring johto starters.

However, if there's one pet peeve I have, it's when they start rehashing each other. Not with the formula, but with the plots. How many episodes are we gonna have where a main Pokemon is in love with another one only for said love interest to go with someone else?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 1, 2017
The XY Series now is okay, but it was not much going on.
I hope in the future episodes gets in this point better. ^^
And since when has the pokemon anime filler episodes? :O
Mostly have manga based animes filler episodes.
But the pokemon anime is not manga or game based.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Pokémon has always had filler ahaha. Since they realized they would stick with a format that is based off current gen games and wouldn't stop that saga until the next games were due to be released.They have to stretch it out a lot more for the story to fill the years between games and not have all the plot happen at once. So gotta fill the time somehow.

I'm sooo looking forward to XY year 2. It really does seem like this is the point things will pick up in terms of character development and plot. The last year seemed a bit aimless almost, but now that Serena's dedicated to a thing and Ash's roster is nearly full, I'm hoping to see a lot more focus on training from both of them.

Wobbu

Years
It's an interesting episode title, that much is certain. I think there may be some shipping moments in the episode, but I don't see it continuing outside the episode. Or maybe the word "date" is being used loosely. In any case, I'm looking forward to see how the episode plays out.

Unfortunately the dub took a break right at the beginning of Serena's progress, so I've only witnessed her catching a Pancham :\

GengarsTeeth

Ghost Breeder
Years
Is there a Rotom episode of Pokemon does anyone know please? I caught the porygon one years ago and absolutely loved how insane it was (luckily no seizures) I can imagine a Rotom episode being pretty crazy as well, would love it for there to be one, I hope there is :)

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
Years
Is there a Rotom episode of Pokemon does anyone know please? I caught the porygon one years ago and absolutely loved how insane it was (luckily no seizures) I can imagine a Rotom episode being pretty crazy as well, would love it for there to be one, I hope there is :)

Yes there is. It's called Get your Rotom Running. It's the first episode of season 12.

Wobbu

Years
There was also an episode from the Decolore arc in which Professor Oak catches a Rotom. I'd say that episode is worth a watch, because how often do we see Professor Oak catch a Pokémon? The episode is BW128, To Catch a Rotom!

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Anyone rewatch the Hoenn seasons because of ORAS recently? May is still one of the best developed companions of the anime to this day. The Hoenn saga itself also probably has the second most humor of the series after Kanto and Orange Islands. The Contest episodes really were the best addition to the series at the time, especially since it came directly after Johto which soured the anime on repetitive episodes and stale characters.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I re-watched some Battle Frontier episodes not too long ago, if that counts. Easily my favorite part of AG: Kanto Grand Festival, Satoshi bringing back older Pokémon like Lizardon, the Jukain episodes, and Movies 8 and 9 (whatever happened to Pocket Monsters movies where the main characters actually mattered?). With the exceptions of Kogomi, Azami, and the third Jindai battle - which is mostly good, save for the ridiculous finish - the Frontier Brain battles are really good. Better than I remembered, in fact. The Satoshi vs. Heath double battle is a particular highlight.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Is Azami Lucy? I liked her battle quite a bit. In fact I thought all the Frontier Brain battles were good and were a preview to how good the Gyms would be in DP.

As for AG my favorite part of the saga is actually the very early episodes, like the first 50 eps of Hoenn or so. Everything felt so fresh at the beginning because it was the first new group dynamic we had, and May was the first new female companion after 5 years of Misty. I felt the anime never had that same freshness feeling as the beginning of Hoenn ever again. Back then you felt like, "anything could happen" because we didn't know the formula of the show would stick for years to come.

Back