• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Non-legendary Pokémon that should've been legendaries?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
There are a lot of Pokemon out there, 649 species to be exact. Out of them all, except for the 47 legendaries, what Pokémon do you think can fit being a legendary?

For me, I've always thought that Gyarados should've been a legendary Pokémon. Evolving from a weak Magikarp, and turning very legendary as it evolves. And Arcanine, of course, its PokéDex entry even said so.

blue

gucci
Years
Dragonite, Salamence & Hydregion (not sure how it's spelt) they all seem like legendarys, with high base stats but I'm happy they're not because they suit the way they are.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Dragonite, Salamence & Hydregion (not sure how it's spelt) they all seem like legendarys, with high base stats but I'm happy they're not because they suit the way they are.
Well, those Pokémon you mentioned are pseudo-legendaries because of their high base stats. Tyranitar and Metagross are also pseudo-legendaries.

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
Years
Arcanine, it says it's a ledendary on the card. Ninetails as well it's legend is along the lines of the japanese Kitsune folk tale in the mystery dungeon game.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've always thought that Arcanine was a legendary too--the pokedex in Pokemon Yellow states that it is a legendary Pokemon in China. Also...Rotom maybe. Not sure why on Rotom; it just "feels" legendary.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
Absol, not because of its stats, but its description.

"It has the ability to foretell natural disasters. Its life span is over a hundred years."
"It senses coming disasters and appears before people only to warn them of impending danger."

Sounds pretty legendary to me. Also perhaps Zorua and Zoroark, since they seem to be so closely tied to Celebi and the Legendary Dogs.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
I honestly think Lucario should be legendary. It's powerful, it looks badass, etc.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I know it's a fossil, so presumably there were lots of them millions of years ago in the Pokemon universe, but Aerodactyl seems like it could fit with legendary status. It's old, for one thing, it's kinda big and awe-inspiring to look at, and probably has some special power heretofore unknown to the game designers/Pokemon scientists in the game.

Also, Lapras. Maybe it's just its G/S/C habit of one appearing every Friday, but that playing-hard-to-get attitude is just the thing that legendary Pokemon just love to do! It's also pretty powerful, has the ancient look of a plesiosaur and kinda rare anyway.

There's also pretty much any Dragon, due to the connotations of myth and legend that the mere name brings up, although to give a whole type of Pokemon some uber-powerful statuses simply because of these connotations probably wouldn't be a brilliant idea in the long term.

But, in a way, I'm glad most of these Pokemon AREN'T legendaries, as they would inevitably have suped-up stats that would reduce the fun of playing with them, in the games at least. Who knows what consequences this could have for the anime/TCG/whatever...?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Volcarona screams for legenary status because only one can be found in relic Castle's basement. It's also hard to level up a Larvesta all the way to level 59 just to evolve it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Arcanine, Gyarados. Rapidash, and Dragonite are the four Pokemon that should have been labeled "legendary". They all scream legendary because they all evolve from *tiny* Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I always thought Arcanine and Absol should be considered legendary. They just feel like they should be. (idk how to explain, lol)

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
Arcanine, Gyarados. Rapidash, and Dragonite are the four Pokemon that should have been labeled "legendary". They all scream legendary because they all evolve from *tiny* Pokemon.
Whoa, wait, what? Rapidash? Ponyta's not that small, just about the size of a young horse. Rapidash isn't much more than two feet taller. That's nowhere near the difference of the others you listed. (and, in fact, Dragonite is smaller than Dragonair!)

I think to some extent Unown should be considered somewhat legendary- there's lots of them, yeah, but there's a variety of forms and they can't breed. Plus, in large numbers they seem to be able to warp reality (like the Arceus event in HGSS, or the third movie even if that is from the anime). Perhaps they're a hive mind, or the instruments of some greater being we can't imagine- a Lovecraftian horror Pokemon!

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
Whoa, wait, what? Rapidash? Ponyta's not that small, just about the size of a young horse. Rapidash isn't much more than two feet taller. That's nowhere near the difference of the others you listed. (and, in fact, Dragonite is smaller than Dragonair!)

I think to some extent Unown should be considered somewhat legendary- there's lots of them, yeah, but there's a variety of forms and they can't breed. Plus, in large numbers they seem to be able to warp reality (like the Arceus event in HGSS, or the third movie even if that is from the anime). Perhaps they're a hive mind, or the instruments of some greater being we can't imagine- a Lovecraftian horror Pokemon!
Totally agree with the Unown. They've got some serious mystery surrounding them and it's not like they're common Pokemon... always surrounding Legendary beings as well.

Volcom22

Weepingbell Collector.. ^.^
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2011
I always wondered why Riolu/Lucario wearn't made legendaries seeing they're so unique. Same goes with Ditto & Castform.. I think they should be legendaries seeing there abilities are quite rare as well. Theres actually a few more like Milotic, Zangoose & Relicath I thought should of been legendaries to because there seems to be interesting story-lines behind them.

Back