• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Worst memories from GSC

pkmin3033

Chasing down the Legendary Dogs. This is the one part of the second generation's legacy that I truly cannot stand - they introduced the concept of roaming Pokemon. Cue several tedious, frustrating hours of chance encounters followed by swift exits as I fail time and again to capture them.

Also, solving those tile puzzles in the ruins was hard for me as a child, and they never unlocked anything particularly special, which was disappointing.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Honestly, I can't remember a part of the game I loathed or had a difficult time with to the point where I'd call it the worst memory. If anything, my worst memory is turning on my copy of Silver a few years ago and discovering my save file from when I was 11 was gone.

If I had to pick an in-game moment, I guess I would say Morty's gym. I had a hard time figuring out how to maneuver through the place and even when I did, Morty was a tough cookie. Lost a handful of times, haha. Everyone else complained about Whitney's Miltank and my issue was always Morty's Gengar. And Chuck's Poliwrath tbh, but that gym puzzle was much simpler, so it can stay off my shit list. ;)

Sirfetch’d

I don't have a particular worst memory of any play through, but I have never gotten a shiny from the secret egg in my dozens of play throughs of Crystal. Kinda sad tbh :(

Schizii

Always tired.
Years
-Raikou. I always had trouble with him, and not the other two. The other two were pretty chill with sitting in my PC box and collecting dust.
-I was playing a Nuzlocke on HG/SS once and my Togepi used Memento. I was shook.
-I didn't like Lugia or Ho-oh so I usually just ignored or killed them off.
-Once did a run through with Cyndaquill. Probably my least favourite fire starter of all time lmao
-Whitney.

Nothing else comes to mind. I loved the Geisha's with the Eeveelutions though.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
KOing a Shiny Zubat, using Chikorita my first time playing (and coincidentally my first pokemon game ever, have you tried dealing with the first 2 gyms not levelled properly using only chikorita and trash mons?), also releasing an Articuno by accident :|

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
My absolute worse memories was losing both my Silver and Crystal versions in the past. Silver was lost to the void under a staircase and Crystal was....destroyed.

Ingame wise fightning Lance was a nightmare and not realizing that I had ran into a shiny Hoothoot once and simply ran.

SOH972

Banned
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
Full game. Johto was the worst region and G/S/C the worst games. Its a reality

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
My worse back in the day was the fact that all these people use to tell me that you could get a Pokemon to level 1000. Some said it was just in red and blue then some said there was a way in gold and silver. One kid even showed me something on his mobile phone saying Venusaur 1000 making me believe this so called cheat was true and cry as a 11 year old boy then as I thought how he was explaining it was impossible. I nearly sent a question on it to Professor Yew (someone in a UK Pokemon magazine that answered questions kids sent in). About over 20 people locally told me that they knew a cheat and had level 1000 Pokemon.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
If I had to pick an in-game moment, I guess I would say Morty's gym. I had a hard time figuring out how to maneuver through the place and even when I did, Morty was a tough cookie. Lost a handful of times, haha. Everyone else complained about Whitney's Miltank and my issue was always Morty's Gengar.

You think Morty was hard for you? Imagine this. You just got into Goldenrod. You had just caught some nice Pokemon on Route 35, but you had also caught this stupid, ugly-looking pig-elephant-thing, that the only reason you even bothered catching it was because you were told to "Catch 'em All". You were going to go check out the Gym, BUT, being the clever little kid you were you decided to go check out the other buildings, talk to people, stock up on a few items. Well, in the Goldenrod Department Store, this guy offers to trade you a Pokemon that you don't yet have in return for the "butt-ugly pig-thing" as you had taken to calling it. Obviously you wouldn't refuse, right? Catch 'em all, after all.
So, now you had just traded that pig for this little dude, not really that cool but a lot better than the pig, and, on a whim, you put him on your team for Whitney's Gym battle. Wow! That little dude is SO TOUGH! He just one-shotted EVERYONE! Even that Gym Leader that your friends say is super-hard! Not only that, but he levels really fast. A lot faster than your other Pokemon. So you think, "Man, this Machop guy is really cool. Let's keep him on my team permanently." So you do that. Not a bad idea, except you put him on your first slot, and barely switch him out for any other Pokemon.
Now your Machop, now a Machoke, has just hit level thirty. Suddenly, he's not listening to you anymore! Oh well, you'll figure it out later. Lets fight the new Gym Leader, Morty... Bad idea. Every single one of your Pokemon is severely underleveled, except for your Machoke, who isn't listening to you! Well, you're not going to stop now! Let's go on! I'll get the levels back off of these creepy old people. WHAT IS THAT!? WHAT SORT OF CREEPY POKEMON IS THAT?! A GHOST-TYPE? WHAT'S A GHOST-TYPE?!?! WHY DID I JUST GET SENT BACK TO THE START?! Ugh, finally at the Gym Leader. WHAT?! THIS MORTY GUY IS TOUGH! Guess I'll just have to hope Machoke listens to me. Go, Machoke! Use Punch Attack!!! WHAT?!?! What do you mean he's sleeping. Come on man! You're getting beat up! Machoke, use Dropkick! WWHHHAAAAATTTTT!?!!?!1?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING?! MACHOKE LISTENED TO ME AND IT DID NOTHING?! WHYYYYYY?!?!
Repeat until Ghost-Types have become cemented in your mind as the most powerful Pokemon type in existence because it took you LIKE A GAJILLION TIMES TO BEAT THAT GENGAR!!!

That is my experience with Morty.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
You maaay find this silly, but... I played the games in English while I didn't know that language back when I was a kid, so... not understanding more than half the dialogue was frustrating? XD

Oh! And the constant phone calls in the game (most noticeably Youngster Joey and his Rattata
019.gif
)
kept interrupting my gameplay. XP

Well... I could also say that not being able to capture Celebi
251.gif
due to not having the event or GS Ball really upset me, seeing how I was/am madly in love with her. -_-
(No, not in that way! oO I just loved how beautiful she is, keep seeing her as a female legendary despite having no gender, found her adorable in the movies, and seeing her makes me relieve good memories of my childhood. ^^)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
My worst memory is a stupid shiny Rhyhorn at victory road. I accidentally knocked it out. My first shiny and I killed it :(

Diaperless

Moo.
Years
Training for Red is really annoying. Despite as much an effort I may go through, still I can't reach his Pokémon's levels... And everything that appears in that one route is either a Weezing or an Arbok. So I'd say that it's the worst experience I went through during my constant play-throughs as a child.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
Morty's Gengar can be pretty annoying if you don't have the right Pokemon or if you aren't leveled enough. Other than that, I just didn't like how weak some of the wild mons in Kanto are, like come on :(

Back