• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Xbox - "A New Generation Revealed"

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Xbox - "The Xbox One Revealed"

nc-evite-eng.png

Now, if you were following E3 or Microsoft or whatever, for quite some time now, you'd know that Microsoft is planning a special unveiling on May 21, 2013. Granted, this has been talked about in the chat for a while, however, this thread was created to just poke at some more thoughts and ideas about this.

If you haven't heard about this news before, allow me to give you the 411, by a quote from a website called 'the verge':

Microsoft's next-generation Xbox will be revealed on May 21st, 2013, an invitation from the company has revealed. The announcement from Don Mattrick and the Xbox team, titled "a new generation revealed," will take place at the company's Xbox campus in Redmond, Washington.
Microsoft says that the event will "mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV, and entertainment," and will stream the event to the public on Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and on Spike TV. "We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we've been working on," writes Xbox Live's Larry Hryb ("Major Nelson").
The announcement lines up with earlier indications that Microsoft would unveil its new Xbox in May. Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans earlier revealed to The Verge that the event will be at a small venue with a focus on providing the first details on the new Xbox, codenamed Durango. Like Sony's PlayStation 4 announcement, Microsoft will hold a preliminary unveiling with a larger reveal promised for the E3 conference in early June, where it will "continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games."
UPDATE: The new console that Microsoft revealed, is called The Xbox One.

XboxD_Logo_Consle_Sensr_controller_F_GreenBG_RGB_2013_610x610.jpg

Microsoft debuted the Xbox One this afternoon live from a tent on its Redmond, Wash., campus, putting to end months of speculation about the company's next-generation video game console. The console will be available "later this year." Microsoft exec Don Mattrick called it out as an "all-in-one" box. The core strategy is "simple, instant and complete." It was debuted alongside a new gamepad as well as a new Kinect motion camera.
The system itself is all black and features a two-tone finish with both matte and gloss in equal measure; a slot-loading Blu-ray optical drive sits out front on the left face, while a power button with the traditional incomplete circle symbol is emblazoned on the right side (which looks to be touch-based). A new Kinect was also unveiled, and it powers the console -- "Xbox On" is being trumpeted as the most important feature. There's instant switching from the Xbox One dashboard to live television (which seems to confirm that HDMI-in rumor), and a live demo showed off impressive speeds. "Switching between live tv and all your games and entertainment is now as simple as using a remote," Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi said. He also demonstrated gesture controls for the console's UI, quickly snapping back to the dashboard with a pinch command.

A ton of UI is being shown off, with an updated version of the Xbox 360 Dashboard (the tile-system we're accustomed to with Windows 8). The dashboard has a new trending window, in addition to the standards you're used to: games, music, movies, etc. The trending concept stretches across the console's media functions as well as games, with integration in the TV program guide.
In terms of specs, the console has an eight-core CPU, USB 3.0, WiFi direct, Blu-ray, 500GB HDD, HDMI input and output and 802.11n wireless -- no mention of the GPU. It's these specs that enable the aforementioned multitasking and Snap Mode, not to mention enabling much more powerful games.
Xbox Live is also getting a major update, with 300,000 servers backing up the service. "Your content is available and it's stored in the cloud," Microsoft's Marc Whitten said. That includes a DVR-like service for capturing game developers, and offloading processing.
EA's Andrew Wilson announced during the event that EA's sports games would be available on Xbox One "in the next 12 months," so that tells us to expect that company's sports titles in the not-too-distant future.

Now, following this announcement, what do you think we can expect from this "new Xbox" that Microsoft will unveil? What could this "new Xbox" bring to the new generation of console gamers that haven't been already provided by the variants of the Xbox 360?

Feel free to share any other thoughts you might have in this thread! What do you think of all this?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
My guess is they simply seek to rival Valve and have the 'Steam of consoles' in some way; I simply don't see Microsoft as capable of doing anything genuinely innovative (in a good way, at least).

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
My guess is they simply seek to rival Valve and have the 'Steam of consoles' in some way; I simply don't see Microsoft as capable of doing anything genuinely innovative (in a good way, at least).
I don't think they need to, they've already got an incredibly large and eerily dedicated fanbase that will run through sea and lava to pay for Xbox Live buy their systems, regardless of pros and cons. Worse yet, they're aware of this and take advantage of it.

Years
I don't think they need to, they've already got an incredibly large and eerily dedicated fanbase that will run through sea and lava to pay for Xbox Live buy their systems, regardless of pros and cons. Worse yet, they're aware of this and take advantage of it.

It is kinda weird how dedicated they are. I've had a mixed experience with Xbox over the 2 years I owned a 360. If it wasn't for Halo or the fact that it's most of my friends primary console, I would have long ago switched and stayed Ps3 and Wii/WiiU. I'm not interested in a not-broken Kinect or any sort of DRM and I'm almost guessing that Microsoft will be pushing both. That being said, I'll end up getting one 7 years down the line just to play Halo 5 and 6.

Years
From the rumors I've heard, Microsoft plans to end the used game market by producing games for the new Xbox with a one time use code. Once you use the code on one system that's it and you can only use it on that system, which isn't going to be getting my money any time soon.

Years
I certainly hope that isn't the case where games are stuck on just one system, since there's a very real possibility that someone might need to get a replacement, but wouldn't be able to play any of the games that they bought completely new. I'm personally fine with the current method of having to buy online passes for used games, since it still compensates the game producers on used game sales.

I haven't really followed along with much news of either the PS4 or the new Xbox, but while I'm leaning towards a PS4 at this point, I'll still be interested in hearing some of the details of the Xbox, and see if it changes my opinion at all.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Microsoft have a very long way to go before I even consider purchasing their next console, because I have heard absolutely nothing positive about it. Always online? One time use codes for games? The ridiculously extortionate fees for Xbox Live are bad enough, but rumours suggest that Microsoft are clearly trying to up the ante in practices of corporate greed. Unless I see some very, VERY good exclusives coming out for it, the new Xbox will most definitely be off my purchase list if these ridiculous practices are incorporated.

Of course, I'll wait until the big reveal on the 21st before I condemn the console entirely, but at the moment I'm extremely put off by it. There is usually a grain of truth to rumours, after all, and some have come from fairly credible sources. I do not like what I'm hearing...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
So it's the Xbox One....

XboxD_Logo_Consle_Sensr_controller_F_GreenBG_RGB_2013_610x610.jpg

While the Wii U may have had a rather odd name, at least it made sense. Calling it Xbox One just confuses the consumers (sadly, not the dudebros -_-).

At least there is still E3 with this thing, hopefully with more games and less kinect trash. There was nothing interesting, and it was too focused on multimedia over games, which really concerns me. I just doesn't feel 'next gen'. Sure it looks next gen, but this feels like the same ideas, just better graphics. :/

Also, no used games for you. You've got such a tantalising offer there Microsoft.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
@Matt_LRR "We want the Xbox One to be your one-stop-shop for all your entertainment - unless you're entertained by xbox or xbox 360 games."

I really don't know what to think about this :| Both Sony and Microsoft are all about multimedia now since it's apparently the most amazing thing ever (and the best way to sell your computers and tablets and phones and); but all the games-related innovation seems to be "better hardware woo"... and yet they have said that they "did not target the best graphics". So uh help I'm lost.

Oh also no second-hand games- a game means you get one free install and you need to pay Microsoft if you want to install the game again in any other Live account.

It's- just- is this a videogame console? Looks like one, at least, buuut...

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I heard you have to use Kinect too, is that true?

If Sony follows suit just with the whole no used games thing, I'll be more than content with the Wii U + the handhelds this whole gen. What a disappointment, especially after the 360.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The name seems sort of weird by itself. The Xbox One? Thought it might of been the Xbox 720 or Xbox 3 or something.

Anyway, nothing really seems to stand out... the controller and the console look okay for a new generation console, but, the graphics aren't that appealing to me (well, graphics pail to the gameplay and storyline to me anyway), and if that used games bit is true...

..Yeah.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I keep reading about it on my local news, I won't buy it, as long as I have my Nintendo 3DS XL, I won't need to buy any other console, my only reasoning is Pokemon (new games are made for the 3DS - its the only system for me).
If you are already dead set on not buying an Xbox One (bet you didn't see that ONE coming) because it doesn't have Pokemon then was there any reason to post this? And why even post in this section if Pokemon is the only thing you're interested in?

I wonder if there are anyone that'll support this business practice. Even my friend who was 360 only last gen is going to skip this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Holy **** I'm dying here. Excuse my verbal slip up, but hot damn its like watching rome burn.I mean I get their direction, Xbox has always been the 'Muricabox, but still everything else....
No used games?Always Kinect? Why MS why?! Never was planning on buying one, but the market alienation is too big. And forgive my romanticism, but EA's witch hunt against Nintendo alongside this obvious display of their nostrils so far up MS's scphinter is sickening. I can't take the market seriously anymore when your basic rights are being taken away is rewarded with praise. And how in the name of googlymook isMS gonna pass mandatory instals and pay fees in the EU with such a strict consumer's rights lawbook?

Years
Thought they had a good opportunity to name the console the Xbox3 (cubed), so I'm a little disappointed they went with the confusing 'One.'

And like I said before, I'm trying to keep an open mind about both the PS4 and XBox One (at least until E3), but some of the stuff that's been trickling out doesn't sound all that flattering. Needing to have the Kinect on at all times- even to turn on your system? Tying games to a single account rather than, say, all the accounts on the original system? Mandatory installation to play the game? I really hope a lot of these can get improved before release, otherwise Microsoft's basically asking me to buy a PS4 instead. Hopefully when E3 does roll around, we'll get a clearer picture of what it can do beyond being a multimedia device.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The Xbox One? Really, MS? It'll only confuse consumers for the original Xbox. And it looks like the "always online" rumor is mostly true, but the feature is considered to be optional, so it's not always online.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Whoo, that was a pretty underwhelming presentation. They showed no games except for Forza and the "new innovative definitely not like the rest" Call of Duty Ghost. They also announced that it's not backwards compatible, you'll have to pay full price to play an installed game on another account, and it looks like a VCR.

On the bright side, it has pretty specs and recording. Normally, I'd say that I look forward to E3, but that presentation just gets worse each year. God, I miss the good ol' days.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
They'd better not be Kinect only. I will not play Halo 5 with a freaking Kinect. 343i would be foolish to allow that.

Back