• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have an important question about fan games.

DeM0nFiRe

Running for Supreme Ruler :)
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 8, 2022
Can someone please tell me if itts true that a while back, nintendo began prosecuting someone who was making a fangame, then backed off and now allows fangames?

DeM0nFiRe

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 8, 2022
Ok, thanks.
One more question then, are you allowed to sell the games?(I kinda doubt it) Because what I want to do will cost me money. I suppose it's probably legal as long as you break even, but i don't want to deal with regulatuing any possible income.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
Ok, thanks.
One more question then, are you allowed to sell the games?(I kinda doubt it) Because what I want to do will cost me money. I suppose it's probably legal as long as you break even, but i don't want to deal with regulatuing any possible income.

Selling anything that has someone else's intellectual property/copyrighted material is illegal in any country where international copyright law applies. (In other words, pretty much the entire industrialized world and beyond)

DeM0nFiRe

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 8, 2022
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks everybody, I think that's all the questions I had.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
i thought that fan games where always ilegal -__-

Only if you profit off them. I don't know it word for word, but there's something called 'Fair Use' that illustrates how it goes.

But essentially, as long as you don't claim them as your own or profit off them, they can't really do much.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Acctually as long as you use your own sprites and not even one of the nintendo`s sprites, you could sell the game and also as long as you dont name it "Pokemon" in any part of game, Instead why not name them "Fakemon" that would free us from any legal issues if we plan to sell our games, but c`mon, who will buy a game made by a child? (to offend anybody)

Well i think i got a point in there xD

Laters, ima hit teh sack

DeM0nFiRe

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 8, 2022
you kidding? A real pokemon fan will be able to make a pokemon game better than nintendo. Everyone can see things missing from the GBA pokemon games, so we can put what's missing in (namely, a real storyline)

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Well that of the "buying" stuff was just me saying (where i live i bet nobody will (Dominican Republic and i even think your game wont come this far xD)) But everybody knows that we can make a game X3123189464531313132 times better than nintendo (and think that this all started (in a rice field BTW) with this guy dreaming of bugs you can catch raise and battle with them xD) Soooooooooo yeah, you just gotta remove everything that is Nintedo`s and youll be free to sell it (you can even sell hackroms if you even change the internal code and everything so it doenst say what version it is xD) but that is so annoying to do for me (lazy).

Well, its night like when i first posted here so ima go hit teh sack again xD

Back