• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PETA and Pokemon

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Guess what they targeted this time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/10/08/peta-pokemon-animal-abuse/

Animal rights group PETA has condemned the Pokémon media franchise and video game series, saying it "paints a rosy picture of what amounts to thinly veiled animal abuse."

The Pokémon series tells the stories of young "trainers" who befriend wild critters called Pokémon, help them grow stronger, and coach them through a series of non-fatal sparring matches against other trainers.

In a statement released on October 8, the day after Nintendo released Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, the latest games in the franchise, PETA blathered:

PETA said:
"Much like animals in the real world, Pokémon are treated as unfeeling objects and used for such things as human entertainment and as subjects in experiments. The way that Pokémon are stuffed into pokéballs is similar to how circuses chain elephants inside railroad cars and let them out only to perform confusing and often painful tricks that were taught using sharp steel-tipped bullhooks and electric shock prods …if PETA existed in Unova, our motto would be: Pokémon are not ours to use or abuse. They exist for their own reasons. We believe that this is the message that should be sent to children."

Aside from the fact that this is clearly a lame attempt to attract publicity on the back of a major video game release (which is why I'm not linking to their site, and you shouldn't look for it, either) PETA seems to have missed the single biggest theme of the Pokémon series: That Pokémon should be treated humanely and live as our equals. The games are loaded with an endless stream of characters who go on and on about true friendship between man and Pokémon. It's so saccharine and so completely the opposite of what PETA suggests that it boggles the mind.

As part of the campaign, PETA also developed and released a flash-based parody game which it calls "Pokémon Black and Blue." It is awful.

Last November, PETA attacked video game icon Mario for wearing "fur" –the Tanooki Suit, a frequent power-up in Mario games that grants the ability to fly.

PETA did not disclose in its statement how many actual, living, breathing animals died waiting for rescue while the organization spent its time and money campaigning against fiction.

lol

You're only like 14 years late PETA. I'm pretty sure you're already in the game anyway and children already find the concept of Pokemon liberation ridiculous, I'd assure them. Just a stupid ass publicity stunt.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
PETA is a joke and doesn't deserve to be seen as anything but.

Instead of doing something to actually make a difference, they target a game that, if they bothered to do their research, promotes treating Pokemon as equals.

SURPRISE!PETA IS STUPID WHO KNEW :'D

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
I personally do not find the concept of Pokemon liberation ridiculous at all. I empathize with N who empathizes with pokemon.

Koyan

Ghost/Dark Trainer
Years
Peta is straight up dumb... They refuse to acknowledge that humans are omnivores, as well. LOL. Right.... They ignore scientific fact. It bugs me.

droomph

weeb
Years
I personally do not find the concept of Pokemon liberation ridiculous at all. I empathize with N who empathizes with pokemon.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=284255

I feel that Pokémon only let the ones they deem worthy and friendly to be their trainers. There's no animal abuse, saying as we have the friendship system. It's even encouraged to raise that level, so that says something.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
"Much like animals in the real world, Pokémon are treated as unfeeling objects and used for such things as human entertainment and as subjects in experiments.
This is pretty much exactly the opposite of the truth. GG peta.

Sirfetch’d

Just more proof that Peta is scum. They are so stupid and are in everyone's business.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I know we all said Team Plasma are the PETA of Unova, but seriously now?

But oh well, at least theres a game to play.

But on a different note, I wonder how much copyright they've infracted due to these games.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Pokemon has been around for 16 years, why do they wait until now to say something. It's hardly promoting animal abuse in any way shape or forme.

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Silly PETA, you already exist in Unova! You're Team Plasma!

But seriously though, I hate PETA. They overreact at every little thing, and they're very hypocritical. I hope they go bankrupt.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Spoiler:

Not sure if I should be proud or ... what?

But lots of things didn't make sense in it.

Pikachu is fighting Cheren and the text reads ''You're escaping your trainer, time to fight him''
But Ash then says You were my pokemon till you escape, now I'm gonna re catch all 4 of you''

:l

Years
This flashgame scared me. If that's what PETA thinks pokemon is like...
Well, they need to actually play a game since EVERY SINGLE PROFESSOR TALKS ABOUT FRIENDSHIP AND FRIENDLY BONDS WITH POKEMON THROUGH BATTLING GAAAA!

I also enjoyed how using "group hug" and "protest" don't defeat Cheren, but violence - violence does. Good message as always PETA!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
People Eat Tasty Animals. Enough said.

Really, PETA has been a joke for years now, and they're choosing to attack Pokemon NOW? Pokemon don't get harmed excessively from this, and in the anime, there haven't been any Pokemon deaths to my knowledge (movies = different story). Is anyone actually going to listen to the crap PETA is spewing? I never will.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That game looks scarier than what they make the real games out to be... -continues playing White 2-

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I hope people realize this is supposed to be a parody and nothing serious or promoting whatsoever. (And thus, it's legal.) With Pokemon Black/White 2 being the big thing this week, and PETA being the attention seekers they adore to be, it's not surprising they'd go with Pokemon.

That game looks scarier than what they make the real games out to be... -continues playing White 2-
Looks pretty hilarious to me. I like the art style, it fits the parody theme and amusingly enough, nicer to look at and not as dull as Pokemon B/W2 itself. Although, purely judging from all the screen shots I saw, the writing is terrible, but it's to be expected considering it's the same with all Pokemon games, regardless if it was intentional or not.

I liked their 3D Land parody, it was fun. Interestingly enough, 3D Land ended up being my GOTY when I got it shortly after haha. Whoever develops their games is pretty good, as much of a joke as they are.
Haven't really tried this due to my uttermost loathing towards the franchise though for the present, can't stand looking at anything Pokemon related until I recover.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I haven't played the game yet myself, but the screenshots I've seen are hilarious.

I'm just wondering how they think any of this applies to... yanno, the real world? Researchers who test on animals, fur trade workers, and abusive pet owners didn't get the idea from playing Pokemon. And when was the last time you heard a news story about a kid, inspired by Pokemon, forcing his pets to fight each other? Like really just... what are they trying to prove here?

Back