• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Tested in unmodified Essentials, an opponent with the move Stored Power (reported working by the wiki) will never take any action. The player will continue to be able to do so.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Tested in unmodified Essentials, an opponent with the move Stored Power (reported working by the wiki) will never take any action. The player will continue to be able to do so.
That's a bug in the AI for function code 8E. Change it to behave like 8F's AI code (but using the attacker's stages, of course).

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
If an opponent's pokemon faints by a U-Turn attack, no experience is gained, and the pokemon sprite won't leave the scene until the next opponent's pokemon comes into play (when a sudden change happens).

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
Hi,

I'm not whether to post this here, as it is not really a bug or an error. I'm also not sure whether this was already posted.

Anyway, I am working on adding a third type to a pokemon. This is quite a change so I am going through some pieces of code.

In the script PokeBattle_Move, around line 805, I stumbled upon this:

Spoiler:

Now I thought Charge was supposed to double the damage. It also says so on Bulbapedia (not sure whether this is sacred though). As I read the code, it multipies by 1.5, while it should say 2.

Am I right or am I seeing things (as usual)?

Maruno

Years
Hi,

I'm not whether to post this here, as it is not really a bug or an error. I'm also not sure whether this was already posted.

Anyway, I am working on adding a third type to a pokemon. This is quite a change so I am going through some pieces of code.

In the script PokeBattle_Move, around line 805, I stumbled upon this:

Spoiler:

Now I thought Charge was supposed to double the damage. It also says so on Bulbapedia (not sure whether this is sacred though). As I read the code, it multipies by 1.5, while it should say 2.

Am I right or am I seeing things (as usual)?
You're right, Essentials currently has Charge adding 50% to the power of Electric moves rather than doubling it, and yes, Charge should double power.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Just so I know I'm not crazy, Flinching removing a turn doesn't work right? It says it happened but doesn't take a turn away?

I just downloaded and unrared a fresh copy to make sure it isn't any sort of edits of mine to cause it. I tested it with a 100% and 99% chance Iron Head.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
In the version that was released today: going to the options screen then exiting messes with the windowskin. Badly.
Prove it. I can't replicate any problem with the Options screen and windowskins. I haven't even touched those scripts.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I have no idea where I'm supposed to post bugs for 12.2... So I will post it here until told otherwise.

Code:
class PokeBattle_Trainer
  attr_reader(:name)
  attr_accessor(:id)
  attr_accessor(:trainertype)
  attr_accessor(:badges)
  attr_accessor(:money)
  attr_accessor(:seen)
  attr_accessor(:owned)
  attr_accessor(:formseen)
  attr_accessor(:formlastseen)
  attr_accessor(:shadowcaught)
  attr_accessor(:party)
  attr_accessor(:pokedex)    # Whether the Pokédex was obtained
  attr_accessor(:pokegear)   # Whether the Pokégear was obtained
  attr_accessor(:language)
I don't know if you know, but if you try to use the debug, changing your name, it will crash out. The fix is simple enough. But thought I'd let you know anyway.

EDIT:
Forgot the error haha
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
There is a bug in the following event:

Condition and effects: xScript --> $PokemonGlobal.lastbattle! =nil
script: pbPlayLastBattle
It does not work well, acts as if it was the same battle that you had record before in the Tower Battles, but is not a video, you can choose that you order to give your pokemon. (FIGHT, RUN, BAG or RUN)

Your pokemon will miss almost all the attacks that you use in this battle. (The same thing happens with the Pokemon of the rival)

I don't know if I have explained well.

EDIT: I found other bug:
When you take part in the contest of the National Park, in the battle there goes out the menu "Pokemon" and "Ball" changed site.
If you choose the menu "Pokemon", the trainer throws the Sport Ball. If you choose "Ball", you enter to the menu of observing the Pokemon team.
atw8at.png

All that in a clean essential 12.2

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
So, I recently discovered Essentials and I'm loving it. However, a rather vexing bug showed up when I tried to create an event for a door transfer.

I wanted to have a door transfer the player to another spot, specifically inside a building. I had written the event correctly, double-checking my work and such. I save my progress and go to playtest the game. I then approached the door, to which the game performed the necessary movements and animations for entering the door, but once I got inside the building, it was black everywhere on the map and an error message popped up. (picture 1)

Exception: NoMethodError
Interpreter:512:in 'command end'
Interpreter:295:in 'execute command'
Interpreter:193:in 'update'
Interpreter:106:in 'loop'
Interpreter:198:in 'update'
Scene_Map:103:in 'update'
Scene_Map:101:in 'loop'
Scene_Map:114:in 'update'
Scene_Map:68:in 'main'
Scene_Map:65:in 'loop'

I've tried looking this error up online, but to no avail. Apparently, this is an unknown problem within the wiki. So, I went to do a third check on the event: nothing wrong there. Except, on page two, when I made the conditional branch for Event page 2, I noticed that it made another command branch of "else," implying that there could be another option for accessing this door. I looked up how to event doors entering on the wiki, but the wiki page for it never talked about an "else" branch. (picture 2)

Anyways, I'd like to know if there is an answer to this problem yet. The article response for the bug problem was last updated in November, 2011, so there might have been a fix or two in the nearly two years after its discovery.

Thanks for your time and patience.

EDIT: I tried to post links to the source threads, but this site does not allow users who have posted less than 15 times on the forums to post links. I'm a new member and I don't want to get banned for making 15 irrelevant spam posts to meet this criteria, so PM me on here if you would like to see my sources.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Right click the conditional branch on page 2 and untick the box at the bottom labelled:
"Set handling when conditions do not apply".
I'm not sure why this is causing a problem though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Right click the conditional branch on page 2 and untick the box at the bottom labelled:
"Set handling when conditions do not apply".
I'm not sure why this is causing a problem though.

Thanks for the expedient response. Unfortunately, I received another error message, this time it's different. (Pictured).

So, I then tried copying a door event that was still in the essentials tutorial, fixing where the door would lead the character to be where I wanted the character to go. Instead, I got the same error message.

Could the problem be my map? If so, how would I rectify this?
View attachment 69593

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I recently saw that error message in a test game I made... It was because I didn't have a graphic in my graphics folder, maybe your error now is that you're missing a graphic that was originally there, but is not anymore.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
So, I'm assuming that I need to go hunt down a graphic then? For any ideas as to how I could accomplish this?

Also, thanks for your help and expediency!

Years
So I figured I'd post this here because, while it is rather minor, it is still a bug. Also, I'm not entirely sure if this has been reported (and solved) earlier but my quick, pre-emptive search didn't turn up anything so I'm just assuming that it hasn't been.

Anyway, the bug I came across was that the game/kit was (seemingly) not storing or retrieving the base EXP values of opponent Pokemon. I did a long and thorough search (which took me through the compiler and that was fun) and found the source of the issue.

As it stands, the base EXP value is being stored across two bytes but the method baseEXP in PokemonBattle_Pokemon is only retrieving the first. So the base EXP for any given Pokemon can only be a value between 0 and 255. It was pretty easy to fix (after some searching anyway; I hadn't done a lot with bitwise operations prior to this) but I'll just include the code below:

Code:
def baseExp
  dexdata=pbOpenDexData
  pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,38)
  ret1=dexdata.fgetb
  pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,39)
  ret2=dexdata.fgetb
  dexdata.close
  ret=(ret2<<8)+ret1
  return ret
end

Hope this helps.

Maruno

Years
Alternatively, just change a "b" to a "w":
Code:
  def baseExp
    dexdata=pbOpenDexData
    pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,38)
    ret=dexdata.fget[COLOR=Red]w[/COLOR]
    dexdata.close
    return ret
  end
Thanks for pointing it out.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I put some roamers in my game and decided to test them out. Upon encountering one, which was Entei, I thought it was fine. So I decided to try to find another one, this one was Raikou. Upon going to Raikou's area, I was greeted by an Entei instead. Since my game has modified scripts, I decided to test this with a clean copy of Essentials. I turned on the switch for Latias and Latios in the clean copy of Essentials. I went and encountered Latios. After that, I purposefully went to go find and encounter Latias. Latios came up where Latias was supposed to be! Next, I tried catching "Latios". I caught "Latios" and checked if I actually caught "Latios". It said I caught Latias!

So it's not just my game.

tl;dr Only one roamer can show up, and it will always take over a different roamer after seeing that one roamer!

Maruno

Years
So much for me thinking I'd actually fixed roaming Pokémon. This is really becoming a Herobrine for Essentials.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
So after starting a new game, I get the pokedex and pokegear. Then when trying to look at my party by clicking on pokemon, I get this:

Code:
Exception: RuntimeError

SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:341:in `new'

PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:614:in `new'

PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonParty:612:in `each'

PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'

Pretty sure it is because I haven't downloaded the pokemon pack and added it in.

Back