• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Well, it depends. Are you willing to sacrifice the ???-type? If you are, then no, otherwise, yes.

i forgot about the ???-type. xD
i'll just replace that. nobody will miss Curse, right?

ok, i think this next predicament will be the last one... for now. :P
is there any way i can put the underwater tileset from R/S/E into FireRed successfully? i've tried, but it always ends up looking horrible, off-colored, and with many tiles missing. is there a tutorial for this i can be directed to?

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
Does repointing your text in Advanced Text do any harm?

It seems everyone just ran over your question sorry :D.

Most likely no, as long as the text it being correctly re-pointed to free space. This shouldn't be a problem with editing Fire Red or Ruby, but I'm not sure if the latest A-Text re-points to Emeralds free space or not.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Is there any engine for Fire Red with all the names and stuff decapitalized? Although I can find and decapitalize most text, there's still a ton that isn't in Advanced Text and I'm the worst Hex Editor ever.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
speaking of text editing does anyone know where i can find "TRAINER is about to use POKEMON"? you know the line when the npc is about to send its next pokemon. for fire red btw

KhaosKnight

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
speaking of text editing does anyone know where i can find "TRAINER is about to use POKEMON"? you know the line when the npc is about to send its next pokemon. for fire red btw

Should be 3FD186

Code:
\v[&H1C] \v[&H1D] is
about to use [PLAYER].

Will \v[&H23] change
POKéMON?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Hello.

I'm trying to create a new Trainer Sprite, using Nameless Sprite Editor. I've finished the first sprite, but somehow, it refuses to save. When I attempt, I get the following error:

"842 bytes is too long for this offset, Aborting"

The Save window says "Data Bytes: 815", so I'm supposing that's the limit. I have the option to not abort if it's too big, but I fear I may corrupt something by doing so. I tried reducing the amount of bytes, but I don't get how it's calculated.

Any idea on what I should do?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hello.

I'm trying to create a new Trainer Sprite, using Nameless Sprite Editor. I've finished the first sprite, but somehow, it refuses to save. When I attempt, I get the following error:

"842 bytes is too long for this offset, Aborting"

The Save window says "Data Bytes: 815", so I'm supposing that's the limit. I have the option to not abort if it's too big, but I fear I may corrupt something by doing so. I tried reducing the amount of bytes, but I don't get how it's calculated.

Any idea on what I should do?

The way compressed images work is, instead of mapping each byte out one by one, it maps out how long one of each color is. For example, if you had a single line of red pixels, uncompressed, the data would read "red, red, red, red, red, red...", while compressed would read "red sixteen times".

But that's beside the point. To save the picture somewhere else, you need to repoint it, basically, put it in free space and tell the game to look there instead of the original sprite. Both the Classic version and the 2.X version do repointing, although the error message usually reads something like "X bytes is too long. Would you like to repoint to $YYYYYY?" Which version are you using?

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
This is getting ridiculous.

AdvanceMap 1.95, almost all of the time when I make a map, it asks if I want to save. I click yes, and try to go to a different map, but it asks if I want to save again, over and over. Closing out of the program bugs the map, not letting me see it. Any help?

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
i forgot about the ???-type. xD
i'll just replace that. nobody will miss Curse, right?

ok, i think this next predicament will be the last one... for now. :P
is there any way i can put the underwater tileset from R/S/E into FireRed successfully? i've tried, but it always ends up looking horrible, off-colored, and with many tiles missing. is there a tutorial for this i can be directed to?

Well, I have had relatively good success with it. I actually hated the purple colored tiles that ruby had, so I decided to make them a blue instead. I'll attach a youtube video of mine, and it also shows a dive system. My system is actually quite simple and cheating a bit, it just fades, moves the player on the map to another part, and unfades :) I only need 1/2 dive spots at max and it was working better than other solutions I came across. If you would like to use my tiles, just let me know - I don't have too many right now, but I just colored them differently.

(Since I don't have 15 posts yet...) youtube dot com/watch?v=hLiK1SsmexA

BrandoSheriff

Years
oh, i see, so it is possible...
let me see if i understand it now: in order to get the tiles into the game properly, i would have to recolor them to colors that exist in one of FireRed's palettes?

also, nice video! i hope to be doing something like that in the project i'm starting soon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
The way compressed images work is, instead of mapping each byte out one by one, it maps out how long one of each color is. For example, if you had a single line of red pixels, uncompressed, the data would read "red, red, red, red, red, red...", while compressed would read "red sixteen times".

But that's beside the point. To save the picture somewhere else, you need to repoint it, basically, put it in free space and tell the game to look there instead of the original sprite. Both the Classic version and the 2.X version do repointing, although the error message usually reads something like "X bytes is too long. Would you like to repoint to $YYYYYY?" Which version are you using?

I'm using version 2.X. I just tried saving without the option "Auto-abort if data is too big", thinking it would ask me to repoint. However, it didn't ask anything, and afterwards, I've had problems: the Palette somehow broke (I saved sprite as Bitmap before, in case something would happen). I just struggle to unglitch it, and I'm not sure how I managed to do it.

I'm not sure what exactly I've done wrong. Any idea?

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
This is getting ridiculous.

AdvanceMap 1.95, almost all of the time when I make a map, it asks if I want to save. I click yes, and try to go to a different map, but it asks if I want to save again, over and over. Closing out of the program bugs the map, not letting me see it. Any help?

Just use 1.92, since 1.95 is currently a beta. Make sure to report that to LU-HO though so he can fix that, that used to happen to me sometimes.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I'm using version 2.X. I just tried saving without the option "Auto-abort if data is too big", thinking it would ask me to repoint. However, it didn't ask anything, and afterwards, I've had problems: the Palette somehow broke (I saved sprite as Bitmap before, in case something would happen). I just struggle to unglitch it, and I'm not sure how I managed to do it.

I'm not sure what exactly I've done wrong. Any idea?

By turning off auto-abort, it'll just write the image wherever it started...even if it was bigger than the original. That means the data immediately after the game was overwritten, messing up things. By your post, I assume it messed up the palette, and possibly some more images. At this point, you'll need to boot up a backup, since you've already done damage. Also, check under "Options" and see if the last two options are checked.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
Just use 1.92, since 1.95 is currently a beta. Make sure to report that to LU-HO though so he can fix that, that used to happen to me sometimes.

Made the switch, no errors so far. Thanks.

Two more questions.
The starting town I'm setting is Four Island. What storyline issues does this come up with? Just so I know what to watch out for. I attempted to remove Gary and that script, but it crashed my ROM last time, so I'm hesitant to do it again.
Is there a way to create a script that will activate after a certain amount of steps? Something like the Safari Zone.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014

Two more questions.
The starting town I'm setting is Four Island. What storyline issues does this come up with? Just so I know what to watch out for. I attempted to remove Gary and that script, but it crashed my ROM last time, so I'm hesitant to do it again.
Is there a way to create a script that will activate after a certain amount of steps? Something like the Safari Zone.

Hmm...I would suggest just removing all the scripts on the map. Just click the even and press delete event on the right hand column that comes up when you click an event. To delete level scripts (if there are any on four island), you need to go to headerview and press "remove map scripts" until they're all gone.

As for the steps thing...yes it's possible. It can be done by putting a script tile on every space. The first tile sets a variable. Then every tile after that adds a number to the variable until the number you want is hit. Then, when it's hit, the script will do something else and deactivate the rest. The better way, however, would be to make an ASM routine that counts steps...I'm not sure how the safari zone works though, sorry. My method works, although its definitely not ideal or the best way to do it.

BrandoSheriff

Years

Two more questions.

i believe something like that can be done using the FR Hacked Engine.

KhaosKnight

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015

Two more questions.

I think the commands to start a Safari Game in FireRed and Ruby are "special 0xCD" and "special 0xCE" and for Emerald they are "special 0xD0" and "special 0xD1". One is for the Safari Balls and the other is for the steps I think. You can play around with those specials to make something work.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
How do I change the sprites for the people you see just before the Pokémon come out in battles? All I know is how to change overworld sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back