• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Where does sixth generation land among your favourite generations?

Years
Very high up there. Kalos had a lovely design for a region and ORAS were my favorite remakes and some of my favorite overall main series games to date.. I miss the discussions that went on when XY and ORAS just came out. They will always have a special place in my heart. Buh, now I want to replay X. ;-;

Years
I've been playing Pok?mon since it came out, so I am of course gonna love the old school. Here's mine:

1. Gen II
2. Gen I
3. Gen III
4. 4, 5 and 6.
I put Gen 4 onward in their own little group.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Very high up there. Kalos had a lovely design for a region and ORAS were my favorite remakes and some of my favorite overall main series games to date.. I miss the discussions that went on when XY and ORAS just came out. They will always have a special place in my heart. Buh, now I want to replay X. ;-;

<33333333

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
6th gen is my 3rd favorite. I've only played Omega Ruby, not X or Y. But it was one of my favorite games in the series. I still prefer gen 2 and gen 3, but playing X/Y could change my opinion though.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
Eh, my relationship with gen 6 is a bit complicated. I do like many of things it featured, including: character customization (and I feel it was better executed in Kalos than in Alola), fairies, 3D (though I was quite sad to see the sprites go), and the new Pok?mon were pretty great overall. In fact, Espurr is likely my second favourite Pok?mon of all time, and Xerneas is currently my top legendary. Kalos is also pretty cool geographically.

However, on the more negative side of things, there were a fair few issues I found with Gen 6. The first is X/Y's storyline, it's fairly weak, which is even more glaring considering how strong its predecessor was plot-wise. Gen 5 also featured developed rivals, a super-interesting evil team, and involved gym leaders; none of these things made it over to Kalos.

ORAS, oddly enough, didn't captivate me the way I thought it was. I can't even pinpoint concrete reasons for this, I just lost interest before finishing the main story. I may replay it and try using a different team to see if that helps, but yeah. I was sad you couldn't decorate your room or unlock the older outfits (could have made a cool reward for beating the evil team, for example).

I was also going through an extremely rough time when Gen 6 kicked off, and things didn't get better for a long time. It's possible the ongoing difficulties influenced how I reflect upon this gen. That being said though, I'm very grateful that I had X when I did, and it helped distract me from what was happening. My X team is quite special to me, they saw me through grief and medical difficulties.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Eh, my relationship with gen 6 is a bit complicated. I do like many of things it featured, including: character customization (and I feel it was better executed in Kalos than in Alola), fairies, 3D (though I was quite sad to see the sprites go), and the new Pok?mon were pretty great overall. In fact, Espurr is likely my second favourite Pok?mon of all time, and Xerneas is currently my top legendary. Kalos is also pretty cool geographically.

However, on the more negative side of things, there were a fair few issues I found with Gen 6. The first is X/Y's storyline, it's fairly weak, which is even more glaring considering how strong its predecessor was plot-wise. Gen 5 also featured developed rivals, a super-interesting evil team, and involved gym leaders; none of these things made it over to Kalos.

ORAS, oddly enough, didn't captivate me the way I thought it was. I can't even pinpoint concrete reasons for this, I just lost interest before finishing the main story. I may replay it and try using a different team to see if that helps, but yeah. I was sad you couldn't decorate your room or unlock the older outfits (could have made a cool reward for beating the evil team, for example).

I was also going through an extremely rough time when Gen 6 kicked off, and things didn't get better for a long time. It's possible the ongoing difficulties influenced how I reflect upon this gen. That being said though, I'm very grateful that I had X when I did, and it helped distract me from what was happening. My X team is quite special to me, they saw me through grief and medical difficulties.

You wrote beautifully, Thankyou <3

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
gen 6 honestly felt too short. like what really did we get? X/Y ORAS and Super Mystery Dungeon, that was it. considering there was a 4 year gap between diamond/pearl and black/white and in that time we saw remakes, a third version and a plethora of side games including 3 pokemon ranger games, a pokemon mystery dungeon game an its expansion version. a new stadium style 3d battle game and several more. 3 games form gen 6 just feels like a let down.

though then again this could be the norm nowadays and after USUM we could be looking at gen 8 in a years time. i hope not.

but yeah gen 6 is low for me, not as low as Gen 1 or Gen 3 but low still, probably 3rd bottom ahead of Gen 3 and Gen 1

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 29, 2018
X/Y are the games I liked the least personally. The story was boring, I didn't like the rivals, and there were very few memorable characters.

OR/AS on the other hand were fantastic. If they had included the Battle Frontier (still salty about that honestly) they'd be my favorite games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I liked some things and really didn't like other things. Kalos wasn't very fun, for example, but battle gameplay was very fun compared to gens before it.

It's not my fav, probably on the lower half of my fav gens list.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
1: Gen 2
2: Gen 6
3: Gen 1
4: Gen 3
5: Gen 5
6: Gen 7

I mainly rank them on time I played them, not for plotlines (Didn?t realize Pokemon games had plotlines until someone mentioned it on here). I figure if I spend a lot of time in a game I must like it. I played gen 2 for over 10 years, I?ve maxed the time out in gen 6 thanks to picking up shiny hunting in this gen. In comparison I realized pretty early on I wasn?t as interested in gens 3, 5 and 7. The latter I played for maybe a couple weeks.

I haven?t played Gen 4. I have purchased some of the games recently but I?m more interested in shiny hunting in gen 6 right now.

Last edited:

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 26, 2018
Gen 6 is honestly my third favorite gen. Despite its problems, it has so many things going for it. The sheer variety of Pokemon available in XY, Mega Evolutions, Fairy type, Super Training, Pokemon Amie, PSS, O-Powers, the new EXP Share mechanics, and plenty of great Pokemon introduced that are now favorites of mine (Delphox, Chesnaught, Sylveon, Goodra, Klefki, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Vivillon, and Diancie are just a couple of examples). Only Gens 2 and 3 rank higher to me for personal reasons.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
3th place for me! Right after 2 and 5.
I loved the game and played more than 600 hours on it, definitely the game I spent more time on that I can remember. I completed the Pokedex and the shiny dex isn't going that bad neither. Great Pokemon, I liked the villains and the story, it was fun. The mega Pokemon did impress me at first. Great game imo and so many good memories.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
hard bottom of the list. sorry
it introduced awesome new mechanics and that's really all it has going for it in my eyes. even with that, it didn't introduce enough to make up for what it removed from the previous generation.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I like the sixth generation mainly for x and y. I wish these games just got a better story and they would probably be my favorite of all time. I know a lot of people dislike this generation mainly because of x and y, but let me explain lol.

I'm one of the people who hated the fifth generation. I don't like most of the pokemon, the characters, the story, and I thought the graphics looked pretty bad. So because of that I liked how x and y took a less is more approach. There were significantly less pokemon, but I thought they were of higher quality. I liked the addition of fairy types, the overhaul into 3D looked so much smoother, trainer customization, plus wonder trade and amie... need I say more? Even after USUM I think trainer customization had a lot more variation clothing wise in x and y.

I also felt that x and y handled legendaries well. For the past couple generations before the sixth, we had so many minor legendaries dumped on us which made the idea of being a legendary pokemon seem so much less special. I thought that yveltal, xerneas, and zygarde were well designed and I enjoyed the story behind them.

As for mega evolution, I think it's okay but it's nothing that has enticed me too much. At the same time, even though it was apart of the story you never really had to use mega evolution at any point if you didn't want to. Besides with lucario once I believe?

Also laugh at me, but when I first played y, it brought a tear to my eye because I couldn't believe how far everything had come. Kalos as a region was designed well along with the pokemon. Sadly, there was so much overhaul that I think the story was put to the side and the difficulty wasn't really present at all.

Back