• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Looking at various perspectives

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've been thinking. Take a look at the speculations on why these new games are named Pokemon X, and Y; it can be because that these games are named after the 3Ds motif, of the XYZ plane. But, I can't help but wonder, why? Could there be a more deeper reason why these games were named "X and Y" because of the 3Ds motif?

Well, consider this. What if X&Y is trying to teach us a very important lesson here? Take a look on how pokemon have been considered over the years; first of all, controversy of pokemon has been thought to be evil by religious beliefs. Also, pokemon have been often regarded as only a thing for little kids. Furthermore, some pokemon fans, known as "genwunners", have always thought that generation 1 has been the best, and no other generations can compare. Heck, we've been used to the 2-D gameplay for so long that some people think it'll be strange to adapt to a new style, or maybe people might think it'll be strange to adapt in something in general.

But, looking at the X&Y games, would they possibly teach us to look at things from different perspectives? Could it possibly teach us to look at pokemon in a whole new light, or look at things in general from other ideals?

First of all, just look at the names, X and Y. Doesn't it sound weird that all this time, Pokemon have been named after actual names and words like colors and gems, but now they're simply using letters? Could the changes from names and words to simply letters let us think, "there are various ways of naming something, but it can still be something"?

I like to think that 2-D, and 3-D can be referred to as dimensions. We've looked at pokemon from a 2-D perspective, but now, here we are at a 3-D perspective. From the screenshots, one person can maybe classify this pokemon game as, "taking a whole new look at pokemon in general". Even the new style of battles are a change. What if in a 2-D scene, we've looked at pokemon on a point where they are just fighting machines, but now, we're seeing our pokemon's feelings and emotions right on the battle field? Would that change people's perspective of pokemon and battling in general?

What if in the Pokemon X and Pokemon Y game, we have to look at perspectives from the different choices we make? Consider this, but, isn't moving into a third dimension is similar to "thinking outside the box" or "choosing a third path", so perhaps we will see new things that we've taken for granted in previous games? Could that teach other fans to consider what they have ignored or haven't taken seriously in past generation of pokemon games?

Could it teach other beliefs that, we have to look at a children's perspective, and think, pokemon aren't as evil as claimed?

Do you guys think that Pokemon X&Y might be going with the idea of changing perspectives, or to look at various perspectives in general? Could there be deep lessons from this? Or, could this be a little too deep? Do you have any other thoughts?

Last edited:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Umm. I think thats going way too deeply into things. I think X and Y is just a new gimmicky name Nintendo invented. You know because of the 3d of things. I might be wrong but I dont think there is much of a "change the whole point of view" thing here.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think the names being X and Y stresses the new "era" Pokemon is entering. We still don't know all the details, but who knows how many suprises and new perspectives these games are going to offer?
As was mentioned earlier, X and Y break the Color/Gem pattern, and might be the beginning of a whole new pokemon experience. Of course, the basics will always be the same, but i still think there are going to be major changes in the way we look at the games, and maybe even at Pokemon in general.

I wouldn't look as deep into it as Doronjo, but i really like some of the ideas you are throwing out there, and your post definitely got me thinking and will keep me pondering for a while

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I saw BW as being the different perspectives, with one looking at things from the side of truth, or from the ideal side. However a continuation from that theme may work.
Personally I like to think that XY(and maybe Z) are a combination of the cordinate grid used in 3D, Chromosomes, and crystal structure (which are sometimes refer to in terms of XYZ).

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I agree with KriegStein, I honestly think you're just thinking way too much into. I just think the change from 2D pixel art to 3D character models was advancing the games in a way that the new hardware of the 3DS can handle. I don't think there's any underlying message in the change of perspectives that you're viewing the game, it's just that: an advancement. Was there any hidden meaning when we changed from the similar first and second generation pixel art to what the third generation had? No. It's just graphical change.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well while the graphics may not have anything to do with the theme, the titles sure do. Black and White can refer to views, in a similar way X and Y refer to destinations...perhaps this game will be about reaching one's dreams and the long path to it, that or destiny.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, bear in mind, I wasn't just making reference to the graphical changes. D: Basically as Derk put it:

I would love for Pokemon X and Y to offer different perspectives, as well as change existing perspectives on the game~! Unfortunately though, that's only just wishful thinking. When we look at it from the perspective that we're used to seeing it is: Pokemon is and will always be what it is: A Pocket Monsters battle game, and it's because of that, that really, regardless of how aesthetically different Pokemon is, most people are just still so conservative as to not change their views period.

It's kind of a shame, because I believe X/Y would bring about such an amazing change to most people, and once they give it a try, that their perspectives would radically be changed! Haha, I'm talking like the games are out already, but still, as potentially awesome as it could be, I could barely see it budging others that already think that Pokemon is evil, though I do think that, as far as children's perspectives are concerned, that I believe they would continue to enjoy the series, if not even more so because of the massive changing X/Y are about to bring with the series, especially assuming they utilize the 3DS features to the fullest.

Yes, I was thinking that as X/Y brought a new world to us, maybe we should, in a way, consider how we view things when it comes to having standard expectations about pokemon in general.

Back