• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Hey, guys! Did you hear that Shingeki no Kyojin is getting an anime? Can't wait to see potato-chan animated.

CBk02.jpg

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Yes, I can't stand the Harry Potter series after a few books. The same pattern of going to school, having an adventure, encountering and barely escaping Voldemort, and then going home gets really old really fast.

r u kidding me.........................
that is by far the most ignorant view of the series i have seen lol

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
That's nice of you. :P
Also blowing me up doesn't prove a point as to why Harry Potter is a good series.
EDIT: I've read through book five and everyone else has spoiled the rest of the series. It's not ignorant if its true ;>.<
Name one book where Harry doesn't barely escape from either Voldemort himself or one of Voldemort's minons.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
It's not ignorant if its true ;>.<
Name one book where Harry doesn't barely escape from either Voldemort himself or one of Voldemort's minons.

it's ignorant if it's ignorant???????????????????????

That's the point of the series, Harry facing off against Voldemort and his minions, what are you trying to get at? You're claiming the series is boring because he's facing off against his greatest enemy and surviving every time? What did you want Harry to do, change course and create a new vendetta against a new mortal enemy just for you?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Blowing you up certainly doesn't prove that Harry Potter is a good series, it just serves to make me feel better. I don't need to prove to you that Harry Potter is a good series. It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a worldwide acknowledged fact. JK Rowling spent 17 years proving it to you, it would be a disservice to her work not to let it speak for itself.

What you're doing though, is oversimplifying the books into a shadow of what they are so that they can fit into a formula that you can pass off as boring. If you have no interest in the intricacies of the books beyond that nuts-and-bolts shell you've created to house your opinion on them, then there's nothing I can do for you.

Reactions: Her

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Besides, those "patterns" are suppose to build up the hype for the final battle between Harry and Voldemort in The Deathly Hollows.

Years
Personally I felt the last book was not so great. In the company of myself I call it Harry Potter and the Overly Long Camping Trip.

But really, as a book series I think it's best enjoyed in the company of others so that you can share in the story. It's like going to a movie with friends. You can talk about it after. I think that's the best part of the books. Without that, I don't know if I'd have gone through the effort of finishing them so I can see why, at this point and time, someone wouldn't really care for them.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Avengers and Young Adult, but it was freaking amazing.

Funny, touching, moving, deep, insightful. I was hit by a truckload of feels.

Also Emma Watson.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Personally I felt the last book was not so great. In the company of myself I call it Harry Potter and the Overly Long Camping Trip.

But really, as a book series I think it's best enjoyed in the company of others so that you can share in the story. It's like going to a movie with friends. You can talk about it after. I think that's the best part of the books. Without that, I don't know if I'd have gone through the effort of finishing them so I can see why, at this point and time, someone wouldn't really care for them.
I don't know. I got through the first four books when I was the only one reading this series at my school. I think one person was reading book 5, but I waited a couple of weeks for school to end until I picked it up.

In high school, I knew others who read the books. But it didn't strengthen my appreciation of the books. Also, a couple were diehard fans and I had no idea what they were talking about most of the time.

I simply liked to read them. I liked reading on my terms. I enjoyed the movies. But I was never fanatical on either account.

The books are classics and they were fun to read.

Years
I don't know. I got through the first four books when I was the only one reading this series at my school. I think one person was reading book 5, but I waited a couple of weeks for school to end until I picked it up.

In high school, I knew others who read the books. But it didn't strengthen my appreciation of the books. Also, a couple were diehard fans and I had no idea what they were talking about most of the time.

I simply liked to read them. I liked reading on my terms. I enjoyed the movies. But I was never fanatical on either account.

The books are classics and they were fun to read.
I think you must have enjoyed the books more than I do then. Maybe I'm just a snob, but there are a lot of things I've enjoyed which I know aren't that great and which I enjoy more because I'm sharing them with people. I think that's the primary enjoyment I get out of at least 50% of the things I read/watch/play.

Not that I'm saying HP isn't good (because Andy would, I dunno, set my hair on fire or something), but there are a lot of other series I've read that I enjoyed on my own and would read again (like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books). I don't really feel like I'll pick up HP for a long time, if ever.

Years
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite possibly the best movie I have seen this quarter. I won't say "this year" in a year that included The Avengers and Young Adult, but it was freaking amazing.

Funny, touching, moving, deep, insightful. I was hit by a truckload of feels.

Also Emma Watson.

You had me at Emma Watson.

I wanted to see Wallflower but never had the chance. Gotta go see Silver Linings Playbook too.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Blowing you up certainly doesn't prove that Harry Potter is a good series, it just serves to make me feel better. I don't need to prove to you that Harry Potter is a good series. It's not even a matter of opinion, it's a worldwide acknowledged fact. JK Rowling spent 17 years proving it to you, it would be a disservice to her work not to let it speak for itself.

What you're doing though, is oversimplifying the books into a shadow of what they are so that they can fit into a formula that you can pass off as boring. If you have no interest in the intricacies of the books beyond that nuts-and-bolts shell you've created to house your opinion on them, then there's nothing I can do for you.
I do appreciate the character's stories woven together, and how each character has their own backstory and whatnot, but you don't even get into most of these "intricacies of the books" until number 6 or 7. Also, the whole idea of escaping death every time bugs me. People are going to die, sorry to say, if the odds are stacked against them one-million to one, even in the first couple books. Oh, and once someone (Harry) does die, he comes back to life. Yes, I understand this is a fiction book involving magic, but coming back to life always bugs me because its so unnatural. You're dead, now stay dead.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I do appreciate the character's stories woven together, and how each character has their own backstory and whatnot, but you don't even get into most of these "intricacies of the books" until number 6 or 7. Also, the whole idea of escaping death every time bugs me. People are going to die, sorry to say, if the odds are stacked against them one-million to one, even in the first couple books. Oh, and once someone (Harry) does die, he comes back to life. Yes, I understand this is a fiction book involving magic, but coming back to life always bugs me because its so unnatural. You're dead, now stay dead.

The ghosts who haunt Hogwarts would like a word with you on that. The characters who died still stay dead, but their spirits live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back