• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: PokéCommunity Team Hack-off: Progress Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years

PokéCommunity Team Hack-off

This thread is where teams will post any progress updates on their hacks. The teams may use any contact method they prefer, and if they think a thread is necessary a member can post a thread in this section with the name "PokéCommunity Hack-off: Team #". Non-participants may post feedback and comments only in this thread, and not in the individual team threads. It is recommended that teams post at least one update every week.

Schedule

• Hacking (Feb 16 - Mar 31)
  • Voting (Apr 1 - Apr 15): The teams will then have to submit a playable release of their hack, with a length of preferably one or two gyms. A poll will be posted where the members can choose the best one out of the four.

Teams

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Hi, are the other teams allowed to use my routines in the resources thread for the duration of the contest?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Hi, are the other teams allowed to use my routines in the resources thread for the duration of the contest?

Sure, unless you really don't want them to. :p

Though I can understand you disallowing the use of some of your routines to keep your team hack's "dual perspective" feature, and a few others, unique.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Sure, unless you really don't want them to. :p

Though I can understand you disallowing the use of some of your routines to keep your team hack's "dual perspective" feature, and a few others, unique.

Nope, it's completely fine for me. I made a few NEW routines including field moves via the BRM and level caps based on badges. I was just wondering if I should post those in the resources thread, just going to keep them a secret for a month I suppose :P

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
There your routines so it's your choice what you do with them and who you give them to ^_^

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Team 3

Little update on Team 3!

There will be a thread posted later for Team 3.

New battle backgrounds:

Spoiler:

New indoor tiles:

Spoiler:

Finally, New tiles:

Spoiler:

Hope you like the battle backgrounds and the tiles!

- TheRealOCD

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I too shall show off some updates. Managed to get field moves working. We didn't need to replace/edit any of the existing ones nor did we delete any HMs in the process. Just a complete expansion and some patching up on the original code to support expansion :D

The Mew is shiny because it's like the award we're gonna get when we win this thing.

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
Years
Time for our first update; and if you didn't know already, we're Team 2.

Navenatox has made a berry tree routine that regrows berries after a certain time. Check out our full thread for more information.

Here is a little preview of it in-game:

Preview video made by Navenatox

Good luck to all!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Team 4 has finally decided on a hack name which is still in progress, Pokemon: Team 4ever!

Corny jokes aside, we've started on the mapping and scripting aspects of the hack, now that we've got some spiffy new tiles inserted. Revisions and such will be coming over the next few days along with even more graphical features such as battle backgrounds and new Pokemon sprites.

Grass_zpsl4gmszlq.png
Water_zpsvcxzeusm.png

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Hello everyone!

It's TheRealOCD for Team 3!

Here is a little update.

Team 3

Story

Okay, so the story so far is that the Hoffen Region(tentative name) is a region with several impoverished towns surrounding the single, wealthiest town/city of Clover. The hero of the game is trying to earn money for whatever reason by competing in gyms. Also, there may be a gang of trainers looking to take money.

Possible storylines:
Spoiler:

More about the story will be released later!

Here is the Hoffen region:

1o6d314ncx4vo3wzg.jpg

Media

dxgqu2cy7o5iuk9zg.jpg

That's all for now! Check the Team 3 Thread here!

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
Years
Hi everyone, this is Team 2 updating with an awesome mini(ng) game!

Our ASM brain, Navenatox, has made another routine, for a mining game. You have to enter a specific cave with a Mining Kit equipped to be able to mine. You can mine 10 times. Each time you mine, you have:

- 10% chance to find a fossil.
- 15% chance to find an evolutionary stone.
- 15% chance to find a valuable item.

The game can be played for P500.

Here is a preview of it in-game:

Preview video made by Navenatox

Stay tuned for more videos and updates!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Hey guys, there are two more weeks until you have to submit your work! By now you should have a storyline and a list of features for your hack. If you haven't started working on the actual ROM already, here's a list of stuff you could plan before:
  • hack's graphical style (default one could be kept).
  • the region map, or at least the maps available in the playable release. For example, two small towns, a forest, a city with the first gym, and a mansion.
  • story events. So for example, the events where you get your starter Pokémon in the first town, a rival battle in the forest, and an event related to the main story in the mansion.
  • main characters. The hero, rival, Professor, and the evil team if there are any. Also the first gym leader as your hack should be playable up to the first gym by the middle of March.
  • other features you plan to include in the playable version, such as mini games or side quests.
Once you have these planned you can divide the work between the team, someone will make/look for sprites, another one will insert the necessary custom graphics, and people can get started on the maps and scripts.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Here's some shamelessly copied stuff from the thread which count as updates :D

Spoiler:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Will post the preview of the tiles that Naventox inserted (:

I know double posts are prohibited, but we have another update, so I hope we can make an exemption here.

I've been working on tile insertion, and here's a preview of what it looks like:
Spoiler:

Credits to The-Red-eX.

This is only a test map and will probably not be in the final game. Also I'm aware there will be a need for more tiles, but this is to give you a taste of what the maps will look like.

As said, just a test and not final.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Looks like all the teams are doing well to put the basics together :o look forward to seeing how much they manage in the last week.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
So there's a week left but I haven't seen a lot of progress done by any teams, maybe no one's actually posting anything? :p If that's not the case, I'd be okay with extending the deadline to one, two, or even four weeks. Could one person from each team post their current progress here and if they'd like more time?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I suppose I could update for Team 1....

So far we've tweaked our story up a bit, you play as a young Looker and go through his/your first mission. Your starter is Croagunk, and we have a map up on our thread.
We're also working on the specific maps and scripts for what we need as well as backsprites for Looker and sprites for Croagunk.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I suppose I could update for Team 1....

So far we've tweaked our story up a bit, you play as a young Looker and go through his/your first mission. Your starter is Croagunk, and we have a map up on our thread.
We're also working on the specific maps and scripts for what we need as well as backsprites for Looker and sprites for Croagunk.

Do you think you can get progress up to the first gym (or equivalent if you're doing special cases for Looker) in one week, or could you use more time?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
So there's a week left but I haven't seen a lot of progress done by any teams, maybe no one's actually posting anything? :p If that's not the case, I'd be okay with extending the deadline to one, two, or even four weeks. Could one person from each team post their current progress here and if they'd like more time?

I don't think many people on their respective teams are active. Maybe next time something like this happens, make the teams a little bigger or more diverse for each role. I feel like all of one area is being piled on one person. It's unfair for us to drop all inserting and graphics on DrFuji for example. Smaller things like the story and such, we had a lot of disagreements (particularly me (and cabbage) not being happy with a go-happy story, and wanting this on-the-run hero idea quite a bit).

As for the learning aspect of the newer members learning from the more experienced, I've tried and failed-ish to help my team into the ASM world. There's a lot of gaps in their knowledge I find, and lots of concepts that require explaining. It'd take a much longer project and would be kinda harder to pull off.

Here's our Skype log of the past week for example.
Spoiler:

I liked how the Community Hack thread a few years ago went (with Darthatron running it). It was fun and nice while it lasted, sadly Darthatron couldn't stay active past the first couple of weeks :(
Maybe we can try something like that instead for next time. We had like...separate departments for each section (ASM, Mapping, Scripting, Story ect.) and everyone filled applications to get into said positions, regardless of skill. Your seniors would teach you/pull you through. I think this would've been better than splitting everyone into teams (that would serve the same purpose of the thread anyways, to make hackers work in teams). I for example, am now doing mapping, scripting and ASM. I don't like scripting or mapping because I find them boring, but I'm forced onto the roll due to lack of resources. It's something to think about for next time.

To get back on topic, we have no updates that I'm comfortable showing. We have the first town finished so far, lol.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

It would be super awesome if you could extend the deadline a bit. Life's super busy right now, and I'd rather not have to quit.

Right now the team's progress is at a bit of a standstill. A few of the maps have been outlined, but they're not ready for release yet. And scripting still needs to get going. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back