• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ahhhh.... Teen Love.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
I guess there's a few variables in "will this relationship work or not"

I know of couples that have met from a teenage age and have hit old age together; it does happen, and even though I haven't had such luck myself, I'm not going to undermine or belittle a relationship with people younger than me involved.

There's a couple I know that did have an immature argumentative spree and did break up and end up apart for like six months. They soon realised that they were actually a really good couple and with that time apart and lessons learnt they've become a better couple!

I would say that a good relationship involved both people being consistently happier in each other's company than they would be without each other. Being able to understand each other, being generally compatible in terms of interests and such.

The thing that works AGAINST teenagers; particularly younger ones that perhaps aren't quite sure of themselves and what they like/dislike, is that lack of experience. It's perfectly possible to get it right first time, but that lack of a backlog to refer to doesn't help. There'll be plenty of people getting it wrong and realising that the other person isn't right for them. Possibly a majority.

One point I'm very surprised to not hear about is how more adult relationships can be a clinical affair. I mean that in teenage years, you're not going to be thinking "is this person going to be successful in life are we going to live together well is this practial", you're just often simply looking for a companion as everyone else around you seems to be. Adults can often go for others based on status/income etc... it does happen. Frequently.

Adult romance isn't as carefree or loving. I'd say they're probably a lot more cynical about romance than younger people; and while eventually two adults can have the maturity to click... is it truly a good relationship? Maybe it is. But surely the people who are exceptional finds and exceptional partners have all been taken. It's more likely that people who haven't settled down in their 30s are going to be people that... aren't particularly good with being a partner to someone than someone who's finding love at 16, say.

I'm not writing this in my own favour at all, haha. Someone who can't find the one in their teenage years is going to be stuck with me eventually!

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
My paternal grandparents were married at 18 and 17. They're still married today. Technically, they had an arranged marriage, but the two of them were quite close even before that. On the other hand, my parents didn't meet each other until Dad was 22 and Mum was 21. As for me, I have had a steady girlfriend for nearly a year and a half. She's my second girlfriend - I had my first girlfriend when I was 16. We broke up after three months - it was because we had some conflicting interests.

Back