• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 10 - 22nd October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This was never up for debate. Essentials will use the FRLG tiles, for the many reasons I stated. It's everything you need to make a game - it may not be the most visually appealing game to you, but it'd still be a game.

This makes you sound kinda rude but since you are developing the project by your lonesome and working your butt off you have every right to come off the way you do....

good work, I am sure your hard work will be well appreciated(by most)...

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I haven't actually been able to start on my planned project yet, but the Town Map update sounds like just what I needed... thanks for all the hard work, and I hope to be able to actually work with this stuff someday.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
If people want to change tilesets they can do that themselves. Essentials isn't about being beautiful, it's about giving you what you need to make a Pokémon game. If you want to do more with it, do it yourself.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If people want to change tilesets they can do that themselves. Essentials isn't about being beautiful, it's about giving you what you need to make a Pokémon game. If you want to do more with it, do it yourself.

That's exactly the point I was trying to give ''the__end''.

Still been meaning to download this >.<

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Why you don't put my Hall of Fame script?
Oh! I see, you only forget to add in the changelog, now you add it.

Well done Maruno! The Essentials project has luck to have someone like you! Very good sample events/maps! Some like the text box in movement and particle effect I didn't know that are in the kit! Neat thing putting references to wiki! This can make the use of kit easier. Now, the next important thing that Essentials need is to put some sound effects.

But I didn't like the new tilesets, I prefer with only three major (inside, outside and cave/dungeon) and recommend to the ones who prefer to use gen 3 tiles to use the extended version of the old ones, with Essentials v9 tileset passage.

lol Lorem ipsum. lol Deoxys normal form doesn't have balanced stats like the meteorite description.

Put more "basic things" near the Lappet, specially trainers (that are too far away0, and put less advance things like textbox movements, downloads for internet and the karate-man minigame. Some beginners get lost with too many events, this is a little intimidating.

To beginners only copy and paste the Deoxys/Mew, put the island switch on the boat event. Put one to return if isn't captured and the player beat the E4 (like the games starting in Platinum).

A little problem: You trainertypes change mess with some Battle Tower trainers. Example: Kindlers became Engineer and say fire speech and use fire pokémon.

There's a Rotom form change event?

Shiny and Shadow pokémon really needs a better animations.

I didn't like the relic stone sprite. Try to use the pokémon default statue.

About the apricorn tree, at least put in a different color to not be confused with headbutt trees.

How about making a true Elite Four? I saw some beginner with problems of making the five trainer rebattle after the player win all/single lose.

How about a swimmer trainer, a sloped cycle road, ribbon example, a coin exchange house and a Key Item seller (maybe the Lerucean Seller)?.

Don't be lazy and make another map for ice cave basement XD

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
lol Lorem ipsum. lol Deoxys normal form doesn't have balanced stats like the meteorite description.
I watched a YouTube video of someone playing BW and using the meteorite in the museum on their Deoxys, and copied the messages. Balanced or not, it's what the official games say.

Put more "basic things" near the Lappet, specially trainers (that are too far away0, and put less advance things like textbox movements, downloads for internet and the karate-man minigame. Some beginners get lost with too many events, this is a little intimidating.

To beginners only copy and paste the Deoxys/Mew, put the island switch on the boat event. Put one to return if isn't captured and the player beat the E4 (like the games starting in Platinum).
There's a teleport straight to the main areas. I also wanted to avoid clutter by having too much in the same place.

Fair enough. I can see how the current events would be more complicated for newbies.

A little problem: You trainertypes change mess with some Battle Tower trainers. Example: Kindlers became Engineer and say fire speech and use fire pokémon.

There's a Rotom form change event?
Cosmetic, and I don't care about the Battle Frontier anyway. If anyone wants to update them (particularly as they only go up to Gen 3), they're welcome to.

Nope. There's a Deoxys form change event(s), though, which is the same. I'm not going to duplicate an example needlessly.

Shiny and Shadow pokémon really needs a better animations.

I didn't like the relic stone sprite. Try to use the pokémon default statue.

About the apricorn tree, at least put in a different color to not be confused with headbutt trees.
There's a thread about making better battle animations (which has of course died, because apparently no one wants to actually do any work themselves).

'S not really a stone if it's a statue. Anyway, it's up to you what graphics you want to use.

I've already recoloured it a yellow/green.

How about making a true Elite Four? I saw some beginner with problems of making the five trainer rebattle after the player win all/single lose.

How about a swimmer trainer, a sloped cycle road, ribbon example, a coin exchange house and a Key Item seller (maybe the Lerucean Seller)?.

Don't be lazy and make another map for ice cave basement XD
Good point. I didn't think there was a use for an auto-resetting trainer, but the Elite Four are just such things.

Okay, stupid, okay, okay (I thought they were more complicated than what they actually are), okay.

Well, okay. It'd be a pointless little map, but fine.

Majarath

ROM-hacker
Years
Very neat! :cer_boogie: I'm using v9 for my project, but I'll be taking some very interesting things from this release (for example, the bridges; they definitely work much better now!). Creating a much longer sample game is a very good idea, as well. I've been playing through it a bit and there's plenty of options I dind't know about.

Thanks a lot for your work, Maruno. This kit is the dream of any Pokémon fan come true, and it keeps getting better with each version! :)

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
put less advance things like textbox movements, downloads for internet and the karate-man minigame
I wrote wrong. Instead of "put less" I meant "put away for Lappet". Anyway, I think that is good to have at least one basic trainer in some location near Lappet, otherside some newbies may copy wrong trainer events to normal trainer battles, like the GYM ones, even with Youngster Ben on trainer area. Maybe a Trainer event without comments.

'S not really a stone if it's a statue. Anyway, it's up to you what graphics you want to use
The original resembles more a statue. Both ways are ok.

I didn't like the way that you made the choice selection in the boat event. The selection is fine for this example, but imagine if the boat has two more tickets?

How about some wild enconters in Tiall Region? To check the pokedex area in multiples regions.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Okay, stupid, okay, okay (I thought they were more complicated than what they actually are), okay.

Well, okay. It'd be a pointless little map, but fine.

First things first: I don't consider an example of a sloped cycling road stupid. Partly because I tried it once a long time ago and couldn't get it working properly at the time. I probably could if I tried it now, but either way, I think that's something a lot of beginners would want to know. Plus, you've already got the FR/LG cycling road in there as is, inaccessible house included.

Inaccessible house, once again. My suggestion would instinctively be to put something there (and a way to get there). As for what, I'm not too sure. Maybe an example item maniac or something?

Also, in reply to what FL said, honestly, I disagree with FL in that I think it's a bit unnecessary to add a second floor to the ice cave, Though, I did just have a thought. How do boulders work being pushed over ice tiles? If there's any importance to that, maybe that's what you can add to the second floor should you choose too.

Maruno

Years
As easter eggs were mentioned earlier, you might be interested to know that there are two related to the fossil reviver. What are they?

I didn't like the way that you made the choice selection in the boat event. The selection is fine for this example, but imagine if the boat has two more tickets?
Then you can use the "more than 4 choices" message command, which is demonstrated in the player's house. I'm not going to do everything for you; users will have to do a bit of thinking for themselves.

First things first: I don't consider an example of a sloped cycling road stupid. Partly because I tried it once a long time ago and couldn't get it working properly at the time. I probably could if I tried it now, but either way, I think that's something a lot of beginners would want to know. Plus, you've already got the FR/LG cycling road in there as is, inaccessible house included.

Inaccessible house, once again. My suggestion would instinctively be to put something there (and a way to get there). As for what, I'm not too sure. Maybe an example item maniac or something?

Also, in reply to what FL said, honestly, I disagree with FL in that I think it's a bit unnecessary to add a second floor to the ice cave, Though, I did just have a thought. How do boulders work being pushed over ice tiles? If there's any importance to that, maybe that's what you can add to the second floor should you choose too.
There's a tutorial for making a map sloped on the wiki, and it is by no means necessary for a cycling-only map to be sloped southwards. Besides, the map looks flat.

I can't think of anything to put in that house, and it would be one more map adding to an already sizeable selection. Is an item maniac someone who buys certain items for a higher price than you could ordinarily sell them for? I'll put one in the Lerucean market.

For the record, pushing a boulder through a hole onto ice works exactly the same as the existing boulder-down-hole example, except it should become an inert non-passable event downstairs rather than a boulder. I may make such an example. As for pushing a boulder directly onto ice, it behaves exactly the same as on regular ground, i.e. it moves 1 tile. I could make them frictionless and slide just like the player, but I'm not sure if I should - either option could be used to make nice puzzles.

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2012
Hey Maruno, first off, huge respect to you - this is the best thing since toasted crumpets (and I love crumpets, that's for sure). I do have two things to query though, if that's okay :D

Firstly: Rock Smash. I've tested this on your map after the Kung Fu mini game. The rocks outside the "Cave" seem to be smashable, even if Rock Smash is not learnt by a Pokemon, as well as not owning the TM. I have everything default, was just playing around and testing it and it said "Would you like to smash it?" *Click Yes* Then it smashes. Is there a conditional branch missing or is there a problem with the coding itself recognising whether you have the TM or not. Minor though, I know you can manually work around it but thought I'd point it out :)

Also, I seem to be noticing in some maps that there are invisible walls! Mad right? Specific example would be that I duplicated the Poke mart map that you made for another city (Yeah I'm lazy!), and I couldn't even get up to the shop assistant as there were invisible walls blocking the way. It made the sound when you walk into a solid object but when I checked tilesets etc... All seemed good as gold. A known glitch? Ever occurred for yourself?

Info on these would be fantastic. Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Firstly: Rock Smash. I've tested this on your map after the Kung Fu mini game. The rocks outside the "Cave" seem to be smashable, even if Rock Smash is not learnt by a Pokemon, as well as not owning the TM. I have everything default, was just playing around and testing it and it said "Would you like to smash it?" *Click Yes* Then it smashes. Is there a conditional branch missing or is there a problem with the coding itself recognising whether you have the TM or not. Minor though, I know you can manually work around it but thought I'd point it out :)
did you started the game with "Game.exe" or just testen it on the RPG maker window?
if its the later try it with Game.exe and you will see that its possible on the RPG maker window just for testing purposes... ;)

Maruno

Years
Hey Maruno, first off, huge respect to you - this is the best thing since toasted crumpets (and I love crumpets, that's for sure). I do have two things to query though, if that's okay :D

Also, I seem to be noticing in some maps that there are invisible walls! Mad right? Specific example would be that I duplicated the Poke mart map that you made for another city (Yeah I'm lazy!), and I couldn't even get up to the shop assistant as there were invisible walls blocking the way. It made the sound when you walk into a solid object but when I checked tilesets etc... All seemed good as gold. A known glitch? Ever occurred for yourself?

Info on these would be fantastic. Thanks again, and keep up the good work.
As a Brit, I have to say that crumpets are superb. I'm not fond of tea, though, strangely.

Rock Smash - That's a debug feature, designed to make testing a bit easier. You can use any field move without having a Pokémon which knows it nor the correct number of badges. That won't happen for the player.

Invisible walls in the Mart - That's a mapping error caused by the map using tiles which don't exist. For each layer of the map, try filling in all the tiles that are supposed to be blank with one of the red cross tiles, and then filling them back in with the actual blank tile (top left in the tileset). I think it only applies to layer 2.

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2012
Ah thank you the__end and Maruno, that's perfect! Silly me for not trying that :P Pretty awesome now that I know, cheers!

And ohhh, that seems to have fixed it, yippee! No more Mr Mimes haunting my maps with their invisible walls. I guess it's because you swapped the tilesets? Nice job, all is great now, I haven't had any other problems :D

*thumbs up*

PS. Don't like tea?! I'm from Scotland and even I like tea :P I guess it does have a taste that you either love it or hate it (like that terrible marmite stuff!) :O But I'll stop going off-topic now xD Sorry! :P

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
As easter eggs were mentioned earlier, you might be interested to know that there are two related to the fossil reviver. What are they?

Then you can use the "more than 4 choices" message command, which is demonstrated in the player's house. I'm not going to do everything for you; users will have to do a bit of thinking for themselves.

There's a tutorial for making a map sloped on the wiki, and it is by no means necessary for a cycling-only map to be sloped southwards. Besides, the map looks flat.

I can't think of anything to put in that house, and it would be one more map adding to an already sizeable selection. Is an item maniac someone who buys certain items for a higher price than you could ordinarily sell them for? I'll put one in the Lerucean market.

For the record, pushing a boulder through a hole onto ice works exactly the same as the existing boulder-down-hole example, except it should become an inert non-passable event downstairs rather than a boulder. I may make such an example. As for pushing a boulder directly onto ice, it behaves exactly the same as on regular ground, i.e. it moves 1 tile. I could make them frictionless and slide just like the player, but I'm not sure if I should - either option could be used to make nice puzzles.
I am talking my opinions to improve Essentials. Of corse, I can do a several ticket boat example, but this event has no use for me.

About the house, you can move some things from other locations (like Kurt House and the internet/messages info) or make new events like the woman that says your pokémon happiness, and/or gives the Footprint Ribbon (but please put the League Ribbons in League). The man that gives the Effort Ribbon and/or Legendary Top Pokémon Breeder.

PS: I like Tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back