• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Who wants Pokemon games on 3DS Virtual Console?

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
I'm so disappointed that no Pokemon game has ever been released on Virtual Console for Nintendo 3DS! If you could get a Pokemon game for 3DS Virtual Console, what would it be?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
None. I own hard copies of all of them and don't see the need to get them on Virtual Console. I have a friend that would be able to fix my older games if they die, which he did the other night, so yeah.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
I'd actually love that option and would likely buy one from each gen if they were all available. I have physical copies of everything released since the GBA, but having everything in one place is much better for me than having to dig up old systems and hope the cartridges still work.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I've definitely questioned before why Nintendo hasn't put up any of the games for the Virtual Console, but I guess they think they'll profit more if they don't. If they did release any of the games on the VC, though, I'd certainly get the ones which I don't have a hard copy of at the moment.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I would love it. To go through a game without thinking too hard about EV training, IVs, and natures would be so relaxing!

Years
Despite having a majority of the games as physical copies, I'd love to see the games on the Virtual Console. I can only see it being a win-win for Nintendo, as people that never owned/no longer have their copy of an old game would be able to play it again, and they'd probably cut down on the number of people using ROMs by buying the games legally (and they'd be making a profit). Plus, I've never actually owned my own copy of Emerald, so I'd be more than happy to download it for $5 or something.

Brizz

TM87
Years
Like others here, I still own pretty much all of my Pokemon games and still play some of the older ones sometimes. It would be really cool though if they did get released on the 3DS virtual console. I'd definitely buy them!

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
None. I own hard copies of all of them and don't see the need to get them on Virtual Console. I have a friend that would be able to fix my older games if they die, which he did the other night, so yeah.

Why is that a reason to not put them on the VC though? :P

No I wouldn't want a game on the VC, since I only play the traditional handheld main series games.

OP is talking about main series games of the past included, RBY and GSC did release for the Gameboy (Color).

As for my own thought, only if they are able to emulate the link cable so we could trade and battle since GB/C/A were before WiFi. Some of my favorites back then evolved through trading. It would also seal the deal if we were able to connect to others globally in past games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Why is that a reason to not put them on the VC though?

OP said:
If you could get a Pokemon game for 3DS Virtual Console, what would it be?

Because he asked what I would get from the Virtual Console, not if we should have them on there or not. So I answered with my answer...none!

Though I'm not opposed to them being on the VC. I think it's unlikely, but that wouldn't be a bad thing if they were. My answer to what games I'd buy on VC is unrelated to why I think we won't have them, cause obviously not everyone still has their cartridges or even a system to play them on.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I must've misread something there. O.o I could have sworn I read it mentioning which games you think should arrive on the VC, sorry about that, haha.

Like I mentioned though, I probably would auto-buy them if they allowed you to connect with everyone online so the older games could be more interactive than before.

Koopa_T

Zygarde Infinite
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 24, 2023
I wouldn't mind buying Pokemon Yellow or Crystal on the 3DS VC only if it has online features. Online features: Battling friends, battle globally, trade, download content, etc.. This would truly inspired me and others who agree. I doubt this will ever happen.. jk, BUT it be nice for new players who never own a gameboy, can buy a physical copy of Pokemon Red for an example and downloaded it on his/her 3DS.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The problem with having a main Pokemon game as a 3DS virtual console is the trade system. They still use cables, and virtual consoles are suppose to be their original format without any alternations in the game's regional features, which means you won't be able to complete the games 100%. That's why Earthbound wouldn't be released as a virtual console in the U.S., because Itori didn't want to change the copyrighted music from the game in order to get NoA's approval.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I'd buy them all, Nintendo would have to figure out a way we could trade/battle which may not be worth the effort, since we already have B/W2 and XY on the way. I wonder how the 3D effect would have looked like on the main virtual Pokemon games though.

EpicSylveon

Sylveon Trainer
Years
I would love Pokémon games on the 3DS Virtual Console and even if they can't figure out how to make the multilayer work in the main series games like Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal yet they could release some of the spin-offs like Pokémon Pinball, Trading Card Game or Puzzle Challenge.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I'd like Gen 3 on Virtual Console (even though I have physical copies of all these games :) ) . Since all VC games are basically ROMs with official emulators attached to them, I don't see why Nintendo can't just program link cable emulation features using Wifi into their official emulator, and release Gen 3 with that (and other multiplayer games would benefit from that as well) . Authors of unofficial emulators like VBALink could do it, I doubt Nintendo can't.

blue

gucci
Years
Well their 20th anniversary will be in the coming years so they could do that as some sort of celebration, rather that than remaking Fire Red & Leaf Green..

Da7kmagician

The very best there ever was
Years
Well their 20th anniversary will be in the coming years so they could do that as some sort of celebration, rather that than remaking Fire Red & Leaf Green..

I agree. They should put Red and Blue on the eShop. People emulate Red/Blue/Yellow all the time, if they put it on the eShop then they'd make money from it. They could also make trading possible via Wi-Fi. If Ruby/Sapphire aren't remade then they should be on the eShop too.

Or they could do what they did with Kirby, put R/B, G/S, R/S, Pokémon Snap, Stadium and Stadium 2 for the Wii U.

Back