• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cubone-Marowak-Kangaskhan Relation Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2011
Now, first off let me apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in.

Second, this theory was originally formed to be used in one of my Fan-Fictions (to be explained by a researcher character) however, I've decided to post it here for some feedback as I develop the theory.

I recall first hearing the theory some time ago and thought, it could be true, however there were things that were not explained and being the nerdy type I am, I will not take an idea on a whim.

(I assume everyone is familiar with the theory, but if not: the theory is that a Cubone is an infant Kangaskhan, the mother has passed away and in mourning the Cubone takes the mothers skull and wears it. Basically.)

I require some form of evidence, or at least a proper theory.

Now, where to begin.

Here are some observations I have made:

-Kangaskhan appears to be a more social pokemon, while the Cubone line seems more solitary.
-Kangaskhan and the Cubone line have a large difference in size.
-Infant Kangaskhans and Cubones are different colors.
-If a Cubone is bred, it is wearing a skull but the mother is still alive, with its skull.
-Kangaskhan is a female only species; Cubone is 50/50
-The skull and femur of the Cubone changes when it evolves into Marowak.
-Kangaskhan has a helmet like patch on its head.

1.) Kangaskhan appear to be a more social, caring pokemon while Cubone and Marowak seem to be cold and solidary. I believe this difference, in accordance with the theory, shows a vastly traumatic experience present in the Cubone's life (such as, its mothers death). I believe an infant Kangaskhan whose mother has died is in a state of trauma and panic, along with a constant threat of attack by other predators. Perhaps it is an evolutionary instinct, but a young Kangaskhan in order to protect itself will don the skull of the dead mother (serving both as armor and for rememberance) and take a femur (as a weapon) so that it may defend itself.

I believe there is an evolution present only in a infant Kangaskhan; just as other evolutions require items, the evolution present here requires a threatening atmosphere, a traumatic experience, and the remains of the mother; thus fueling the evolution into a Cubone.

This would keep with the idea of evolution = growing up, albeit in an alternative way then a normal Kangaskhan. The social Kangaskhan, now left alone will be forced to defend itself, only the strongest will move on and become Cubones; its world will be shattered by the event of its parents death and the donning of the bones for its own protection will mark its new found ability to defend itself and survivor in a cruel enviorment.

We go from a sweet baby Kangaskhan, to a stoic, lonesome Cubone.

2.) There is a clear difference in size between Cubone and Kangaskhan. I believe this also has to do with the nature of a Baby Kangaskhans (supposed) evolution into a Cubone, and also perhaps a case of Sexual Dimorphism.

Size will not always benifit a solitary warrior; in fact, many larger animals (Elephants, Big Cats, ect.) move in herds, which more efficently keep away other predators. Cubone however, having lost the social aspect of its live, will be a loner warrior of sorts.

In this way, I believe its small size (and the size of a Marowak) serve this Pokemon perfectly for its survival purposes. The Cubone will likely be more agile and manueverable then a Kangaskhan as opposed to a large single target. In this way a Cubone is capable of both vicious attacks and daring escapes.

However, with the theory of Sexual Dimorphism, we must first decide if the two are compatable.

Cubone, Marowak and Kangaskhan belong to the Monster Egg Group.

If I am correct and these two species are related then I believed that in the wild, the common mate of a female Kangaskhan would be a male Marowak. In this sense, do to the differences in upbringings and life we see a clear sexual dimorphism between the species; with the famle the larger partner andthe male the smaller.

This makes it possible the Cubone and Marowak, though smaller, may in fact be related to the Kangaskhan species.

3.) Infant Kangaskhan are purple while a Cubone is a sorta orange, perhaps light brown color. In that same regard a full grown Kangaskhan is a dramatically different color to the child.

The evolution may explain the color difference in terms of age. The colors of a Cubone remain quite different then Kangaskhan's, however a Marowak (the adult form of Cubone) is a darker color closer to that of Kangaskhan. It is not uncommon to see differences in color between sexes (Later I will account for female Cubones) such as with peafowl. I believe this difference in color is trivial.

4. and 5.) All Kangaskhan are female. Cubones have a 50/50 shot. Cubones born from other Cubones hatch with skulls on their heads, while the mother is in fact fine.

I am currently reading into chromosomes and such to further my knowledge, but here is my theory so far.

I believe while at the infant stage, the baby Kangaskhan is hermaphroditic, with its proper gender emerging as it ages. Its gender will depend on certain factors, with basically all members growing into a Kangaskhan. But what about the traumatic evolution into a Cubone.

I believe this traumatic state puts in place the factors that will allow it to grow into a male, however, their still remains a chance it will be a female. The state only allows for the development of a male breed, not making it certain. It has been noted that a female Azurille will evolve into a male Marill, indicating that the process of evolution in some pokemon can effect there genders.

With a Pokemon like Kangaskhan (who may or may not evolve unders certain circumstances) an evolution may be enough to allow this divergance.

But at the same time as Marowak and Kangaskhan can mate, surely a Cubone can mate with a member of its own line. This may explain a why Cubones born in captivity hatches with a skull on its head; when a baby Kangaskhan evolves into a Cubone the skull is no longer just its mothers, its also the cubones, meaning it becomes a part of it.

If the skull is then thus a legitimate part of the cubone, then the skull of a hatched Cubone would not be its mother, but a form of hereditary armor passed down; as such, I also believe the solidary manner of the species is passed with it.

This could all explain while the Cubone-Marowak lines have survived even in a time when most Kangaskhans are well kept and less likely to die. Cubones have the ability to breed amongst eachother and continue their line, but it skips the hermaphroditic infant stage of the Khangaskhan and is born an infant Cubone.

6.) As pointed out above I believe the skull becomes a part of the Cubone when it evolves from a Baby Kangaskhan; I feel this point is backed up by Marowak, in which we can see structural changes in the skull and femur it wears; the skull changes to accomadate the Pokemon... its form changes for that purpose, it is only an extension of the Cubone.

Take for example Shellder and Slowpoke. The result is a Slowbro; but even though both a Shellder and Slowpoke are present, the Slowbro is considered an evolution of Slowpoke and not Shellder. Both Slowpoke and Shellder change forms in this evolution, Shellder more so then Slowpoke. While the Slowpoke becomes bipedal the Shelders form changes completly, into neither that of a Shellder or Cloyster. This leads me to believe these changes are dependent of it becoming an extension of the Slowpoke. But, this is a whole other theory in itself I suppose.

However, this might explain why a Cubone's skull doesn't 'exactly' match up to the shape of a Kangaskhan; perhaps the skull has changed to accomadate the infant.

7.) Finally, there is the morbid subject of a Baby Kangaskhan prying away itys mothers skull.

It is a grissly image believing the Kangaskhan to skin its mother own head; or even waiting for it to decomposs so it can get at it.

However, I believe the helmet like patch upon the Kangaskhans head serves for more then just a vicious headbut. In death this helmet could likely be a point from which an opening towards the skull could be made. From her the skull of the dead mother could be better be removed.

This would also remove the need to wait for decomposition; for as that process would take place the baby will be a threat for a great deal of time. By removing this helmet the baby can quickly remove the skull and from their heighten its chances for survival.

In this regard, the helmet like patch on a Kangaskhan may be an evolutionary step to accomadate the baby in the case of the mothers death.

/// /// ///

This all remains theory of course, but that is my case. Any opinions or critique would be appreciated and I apologize if at times this post appeared quite jumbled.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I've always thought that there is some truth in the Cubone - Marowak - Kangaskhan theory in the sense that Marowak was originally intended to evolve into Kangaskhan to complete a 3 stage evolution, but this was changed during the making of Generation I.

I think you've put more thought into this than you should have. Pokemon in general doesn't make sense in terms of real life situations, so pointing out that Kangaskhans baby would have to sit around and wait for the skin to decompose or skin the head itself isn't really something that would be taken into account for a video game/anime cartoon.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! I am not reading that. :P

I've heard of the theory before. It certainly is plausible but I still see them as separate species.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2011
I've always thought that there is some truth in the Cubone - Marowak - Kangaskhan theory in the sense that Marowak was originally intended to evolve into Kangaskhan to complete a 3 stage evolution, but this was changed during the making of Generation I.

I think you've put more thought into this than you should have. Pokemon in general doesn't make sense in terms of real life situations, so pointing out that Kangaskhans baby would have to sit around and wait for the skin to decompose or skin the head itself isn't really something that would be taken into account for a video game/anime cartoon.

True.

Though, alot of the finer details were made up on the spot.

I had a vague idea when I posted the original observations, and as I began addressing them I filled in the blanks with the most logical conclusions I could come up with.

Heck, I wasn't even aware they were in the same Egg-Group until I realized that was a major point in them actually being compatibal.

Overall I suppose one could chalk this up to a great many slow days; I dont have a job (and the weathers a bit to bad to go out looking for one) so I sit down and just think.

Come on, if there was a Pokemon discovery channel who wouldn't watch that?

"Here we see the magikark stalking its prey. See as it swims through the water, slowly approaching, the prey unaware of what fate awaits it."

"The Magikarp attacks! But it has no effect."

"Poor Magikarp, it appears he will go hungry again this night."

Years
I think the marowak's skull-helmet looks like an aerodactyl skull.
Diglett pops up into an old aerodactyl fossil, evolves into marowak, and climbs out of the ground. The new features of having a skull helm, walking on the surface, and wielding a bone club are then passed down to new offspring.

Pokemon evolution doesn't follow real evolution, there's no natural selection, they just adapt and then pass on the new features.

Last edited:

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
Unfortunately mate, there's already a thread for this located here so two is unneeded. If you want to get your ideas across, feel free to reply to that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back