• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Egyptian President Morsi overthrown in Coup d'Etat

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
**UPDATE**

President Morsi overthrown in Egypt

The Egyptian army has overthrown President Mohamed Morsi, announcing a roadmap for the country's political future that will be implemented by a National Reconciliation Committee.

The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday evening suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel
Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.

Sisi called for presidential and parliamentary elections, a panel to review the constitution and a national reconciliation committee that would include youth movements. He said the roadmap had been agreed by a range of political groups.

50 hours ago, the Egyptian military gave President Muhammad Mursi a 48-hour deadline to open his Islamic Government to the civic opposition groups, or else- the "else" is not pretty clear but they have hinted they'd remove him, call for a technocratic Government and ammend the Islamic constitution before considering any new elections.

Events developing right now, with tanks heading to Tahrir Square to join the thousands of people who have been demosntrating for Morsi's resignation for the last days.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/jul/03/egypt-countdown-army-deadline-live

BOQ4XZOCYAAxf8i.jpg

(Picture: HuffPost)

Last edited:
Years
I'm kinda excited how this will turn out. It's been 2 years? Egypt has been collapsing ever since. I think a firm rule and political repression will be needed to turn it around.

Years
The Brotherhood failed at reforming old institutions and maintaining rule of law. Furthermore, they were the "lesser of the evils" to many Egyptians that voted for them. There's no easy way out. The Brotherhood was elected in, so if they were removed now, that would upset their constituency because Morsi was democratically and constitutionally elected. But keeping him now will just make the protests larger and more intense. Egypt will probably continue to become increasingly divided. As for al-Assad, I think it's about time he just crushes the rebels and wins the civil war. There are Islamists filling in the gap of law and order where the state once existed. The rebels may also be tempted to form alliances with Islamist groups. A Catholic priest was confirmed to have been beheaded by al-Qaeda linked groups, I've seen the video and I can't unsee it. I don't know if the rebels are united enough or have the tools they need if they win to fill the ensuing power vacuum.

Years
Well it's been 1 year...this is a problem with a new democracy, everyone goes to the streets right away. I dunno it's a really bad prescient if the first democratically elected government in decades is toppled through street protests rather than elections.

President Morsi overthrown in Egypt

The Egyptian army has overthrown President Mohamed Morsi, announcing a roadmap for the country's political future that will be implemented by a National Reconciliation Committee.

The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday evening suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel
Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.

Sisi called for presidential and parliamentary elections, a panel to review the constitution and a national reconciliation committee that would include youth movements. He said the roadmap had been agreed by a range of political groups.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
Interestingly, the Government spokepeople themselves said there had been over 17 million people demonstrating against Morsi. Morsi won the elections with 13.5 million votes and passed his new constitution with even fewer votes. So uh. Certainly a coup is not the cleanest way to remove him but the popular anger against him was too enormous to justify keeping him around.

It's a very complex situation, we'll need to see how it develops.

5951e7db-c2bf-4965-9d86-b6607eadfdb9-460x307.jpeg

Fireworks in Tahrir Square. Photograph: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Hopefully going forward Egyptians realize that they can't just overthrow someone they've democratically elected. The whole point of a democracy is that whoever gets the most votes gets elected and every set amount of years a new election is held. If you don't like what's going on, stage non-violent protests, and wait for the next election cycle.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Ugh....

"BREAKING NEWS: President Obama: U.S. "deeply concerned" by Egypt military's move to oust president, suspend constitution."

Can't we just stay out of everybody's business? I know we offer them some sort of financial support (I heard it was over 1 billion), but it seems the U.S. is always butting into issues that virtually have nothing to do with them.

On to the topic, I'm very happy for Egypt. That is democracy at its finest. I just hope civil war does not break out between those who support Morsi and those who are against him.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Ugh....

"BREAKING NEWS: President Obama: U.S. "deeply concerned" by Egypt military's move to oust president, suspend constitution."

Can't we just stay out of everybody's business? I know we offer them some sort of financial support (I heard it was over 1 billion), but it seems the U.S. is always butting into issues that virtually have nothing to do with them.

On to the topic, I'm very happy for Egypt. That is democracy at its finest. I just hope civil war does not break out between those who support Morsi and those who are against him.
Morsi was already democratically elected on June 30, 2012. The Egyptian people elected him, then in 368 days decided he wasn't doing well enough, and staged a coup. Morsi wasn't a dictator, and he didn't abuse his power. The situation in Egypt is extremely concerning. I agree with Obama.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
Morsi was already democratically elected on June 30, 2012. The Egyptian people elected him, then in 368 days decided he wasn't doing well enough, and staged a coup. Morsi wasn't a dictator, and he didn't abuse his power. The situation in Egypt is extremely concerning. I agree with Obama.

Obama should be more concerned to what's happening in US..as Egyptians aren't the only angry people...better to keep his concerns for himself....like we Egyptians said today...American people! we love you the people but your politics (government) better to keep their nose out of our business!

Ivysaur

Years
Well, let's not go to those extremes- Egypt is an American ally and there has been a Coup d'Etat. It's not like Obama can just ignore all of it and just go watch football on TV as if nothing had happened, and "I'm concerned" doesn't mean that he approves or disapproves or wants to invade the country, just that... he's worried because nobody knows what's exactly going to happen next. He's not "getting involved in foreign issues", he's just commenting on them, and giving a harmless opinion, at that.

Honestly, when in 1982 a group of crazy army members took over the Spanish Congress and tried to install a dictatorship, we weren't extremely happy that the US said "Well, it's just Spanish business, we'll stay away from the issue"- quite the contrary, in fact.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I've learned and seen that the U.S. will always come out losing. No matter if our leaders say something or ignore it someone will be mad at us...we can't please everyone...not even ourselves...

Anyways I'm hoping Egypt doesn't become like France during it's own revolution...I don't want to see Egypt return to a Dictator by the end of this like France did.

Years
Morsi was beginning to act like a dictator though, I remember hearing about people in protest about giving himself overreaching power and working without judicial oversight last year - they've only grown since then. The people didn't stage a coup, the military did. Perhaps it was the lesser of the two evils. Or perhaps it was the only option. I can't see Morsi ordering the military to fire on the protesters, and the protests were only growing larger. Sooner or later there would've been a confrontation. The military is happy enough to stay out of politics as long as they keep their power and perks, so perhaps they did the right thing by helping out the inevitable transition to a new political order.

And democracy should not be respected for its own sake, it should be respected for the process of achieving good government. Which this democracy clearly did not deliver, judging by the people in the streets and the petitions with millions of names calling for Morsi to resign. If the whole point of democracy was to get the most amount of votes, then all politicians would care for is getting elected versus doing a good job in office. Elected officials also have an unstated mandate to their constituency, kind of like an honour rule if you will. If you were elected in a landslide, you're probably safe doing whatever you want. If people voted for you hesitantly and because you were the best of bad choices, then maybe you shouldn't be making some big moves.

Egypt is going through a very difficult time economically. If this helps gets people off the streets, if they have to do this every couple of years until the economy can restructure or recover, then so be it for there will still be peace. The alternative would be a violent confrontation between the Brotherhood and the opposition, and for now we have a military-mediated deal. I'm okay as long as the peace is kept and Egypt doesn't spiral into war and collapse.

droomph

weeb
Years

woopth

If I didn't know any better, I would just say like "give him a chance!" because in two years, they've gone through 3 governments soooooo sounds like chaos there

But as I know what little I do from NPR, they're still trying to find someone who's good at helping keep order. I can't do anything about that from what I do have with the SAT classes and the I can't make a huge difference all by myself aspect, but I will support whatever changes they need and whatever help I can do.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
No, it isn't. And it's been a dictatorship for the last 30 years, except the guy prefered to side with the US than with the crazy Muslim countries.

Lol that's true. No extra points for guessing why, though.

But yeah it's a pandemonium out there, and mega-switching up the stacks bring down the morale of the people, too. I really want to know what the people think of this.

PS - Heard about that Judiciary guy? That one being sworn in as the intern pres?

Sir Codin

Obama should be more concerned to what's happening in US..as Egyptians aren't the only angry people...better to keep his concerns for himself....like we Egyptians said today...American people! we love you the people but your politics (government) better to keep their nose out of our business!

I agree. We're spread too thin as is financially.

Sometimes it's important to just let a country stand on its own and deal with its own problems. It may seem harsh, but pulling someone out of the gutter deprives them of the experience and reward of pulling themselves out.

Back