• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "Tying in" Pokémon to past generations

droomph

weeb
Years
So will this generation be like Gen IV or Gen V?

Gen IV - there were a lot of Pokémon with "extended" evolutionary lines (e.g. Magmar, Rhydon, etc.) and previous Pokémon without any evolution, given an evolution (e.g. Roselia, Snorlax, etc.), thus "tying in" the series to the previous generations. Generally trying to "keep it relevant".

Gen V - REBOOT TIME. NOPE NO NEW POKÉMON WITH ANY RELEVANT CONNECTIONS TO PAST GENERATIONS

so which one do you think it'll be?

I personally think it'll be Gen IV as they've already shown us a couple remixes of older Pokémon (Sylveon and Mewtwo 2.0), why not have some Pokédex space filled up quick and easy by having newer ones? Economical, I tell ya. And I like it that way.

And I notice a trend. Even generations -> "tying in" Pokémon to past generations, and odd generations -> REBOOT TIME (with the exception of Gen I which is just BOOT TIME)

So with that, I don't have any doubt they'll have another "reboot". Though I may be missing something here (since I came up with this theory about five minutes ago), so what do you think?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
We'll we're 26ish Pokemon in and so far only 1 has any real evolutionary ties to a previous Generation. This may actually be like Gen 3 which did add to a few Pokemon lines, but for the most part were almost all brand new Pokemon.

blue

gucci
Years
I hope it's balanced, so a mix of Gen IV & V style meaning some previous generation evolution additions and then obviously new Pokémon from this gen.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
We'll we're 26ish Pokemon in and so far only 1 has any real evolutionary ties to a previous Generation. This may actually be like Gen 3 which did add to a few Pokemon lines, but for the most part were almost all brand new Pokemon.

Yeah, IIRC, I think only Wynaut and Azurill were related to Generation 2 Pokemon (Wobbuffet and Marrill, respectively), which really surprised me because I thought Wynaut and Azurill were from Generation 2 while things like Skarmory were native to Generation 3 (this was at a time when I was newly engaged in the Pokemon games via Sapphire and knew a lot of but not all Johto Pokemon in existence)... Anyway, 2/135 Pokemon being tied to past Pokemon (excluding Expies like Plusle/Minun resembling but not being related to Pikachu) was quite shocking to me.

So will this generation be like Gen IV or Gen V?

Gen IV - there were a lot of Pokémon with "extended" evolutionary lines (e.g. Magmar, Rhydon, etc.) and previous Pokémon without any evolution, given an evolution (e.g. Roselia, Snorlax, etc.), thus "tying in" the series to the previous generations. Generally trying to "keep it relevant".

Gen V - REBOOT TIME. NOPE NO NEW POKÉMON WITH ANY RELEVANT CONNECTIONS TO PAST GENERATIONS

so which one do you think it'll be?

I personally think it'll be Gen IV as they've already shown us a couple remixes of older Pokémon (Sylveon and Mewtwo 2.0), why not have some Pokédex space filled up quick and easy by having newer ones? Economical, I tell ya. And I like it that way.

And I notice a trend. Even generations -> "tying in" Pokémon to past generations, and odd generations -> REBOOT TIME (with the exception of Gen I which is just BOOT TIME)

So with that, I don't have any doubt they'll have another "reboot". Though I may be missing something here (since I came up with this theory about five minutes ago), so what do you think?

I just love how you called Generation 1 "BOOT TIME". XD

I personally hope no more "reboots" occur (particularly, "forced/metaphorical" ones like Generation 5) unless they're due to issues regarding backwards compatibility as was the case with Generation 2 games being unable to connect to Generation 3 games (which I hope would be avoided, in any case). I hope Generation 6 is like Generation 4 (introducing a slew of new Pokemon related to past-generation Pokemon), to solve the "this Pokemon needs an evolution!" issue that's been persistent for a while (although I fear that there will always be Pokemon with low base stats that fall into that 'category'). But, IMO, Dunsparce, Basculin, Sunflora, Chimecho (maybe) desperately need evolutions. Alomomola and Emolga would've been nice Generation 5 evolutions for Luvdisc and Pachirisu, respectively, if it weren't for the "reboot!" mentality present... (Gen 6 retcon maybe? :o)
With subsequent generations, I hope they're like Generation 3 (introducing little to no Pokemon related to past-generation Pokemon), unless Generation 6 introduces more Pokemon that "need" evolutions... -_-

I just don't want another Generation 5 scenario where Pokemon are introduced that *would* work as good Pokemon evolutions, but in actuality are stand-alone Pokemon which need help themselves (Emolga, Alomomola).

Years
They gave us a lot of new Pokemon last generation, and since every odd generation (1, 3, 5) has given us a lot without many new connections to past Pokemon while every even generation (2, 4) has had fewer new Pokemon and several tie-ins, I'm inclined to think this one will be more like 2 or 4. Not as many new Pokemon, but more connections.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I hope that it's balanced. I felt Gen II was balanced as it introduced many new Pokemon and didn't go overboard on the tie-ins to Gen I (at least.. for as little Pokemon that were introduced anyway, I felt it was a good ratio). I felt that Gen IV had a little too many evolutions of previous generations that were unnecessary. I'm really loving all the new Pokemon they've come out with so far and want to see more new, but I would like to see some older Pokemon that have needed evolutions for a long time finally get them..

And maybe not such a large number of Legendaries, because that seems to get bigger with each generation and I feel like they're being overdone.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
Probably a bit like Gen IV, I just hope they don't overdo it, personally. And the new Pokémon better be good, unlike Gen V (in my opinion).

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Unlike Generations II and IV, I believe this game will focus more on tying-in with new megas than tons of evolutions.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I think the presence of Sylveon and the Mega Evolutions makes it seem like its gonna lean more towards a Gen IV model.

I would love to see some actual evolutions tied onto preexisting Pokémon. Pokémon like Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, and Spinda are just begging for an evolution.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Honestly, I love having old pokemon getting new evos/pre-evos. So please Gamefreak, make this gen like Sinnoh. Please!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think Mega Evolutions are the thing of this gen. So, if we see any improvements to previous Pokémon, it will be through Mega Evolutions and not standard evolutions.

I also hate when people say 4th gen evolutions were "unnecessary". Really, the only evolutions that looked unnecessary to me were Dusknoir and maybe Rhyperior. All the rest were greatly justified because those Pokémon were dwelling in the lowest tier, and some of them still do even after gaining much stats with their evolution. I like most if not all of the Sinnoh evolutions, most of them greatly designed, a mix of the old and the new like Johto was. The evolutions were necessary and tied into the theme of the generation, which was investigating Pokémon evolution. The only problem was not introducing enough new Pokémon, but Johto was also flawed in that way.

Back