• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh the humanity! YouTube's new comment layout.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
Okay, so maybe this is a little off topic, but it's YouTube-relevant, so I though I could post this here.. but apparently in Google Chrome, I'm now being forced to use the HTML5 player, and I can't turn it on or off at all. It's just being forced onto me.

Same here, but the HTML5 player is much more reliable and the speed options on them is much more useful.

Also just saw the new homepage layout. It actually looks better than the current one we have but the white empty space is even worse.

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
It's Awful I can't even see the new comments on Pewdiepie's page (or even Smoshs) and everytime I comment it asks if I will show it in my Google+ page and I didn't even have a Google+ page. :( (F**k you Google.)

Years
Why can't YouTube see that we don't like these useless changes and go back to the 2005/2006/2007 layouts and where we didn't have this Google+ ****? I'm forced to have Google+ on my new accounts, which I do not want, let alone will ever use.
What's the point of having Google+ when all I do on YouTube is comment and watch videos anyway?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Google being one of the mightiest companies there is did nothing else than using its power. Many people complain so much about Google, but that doesn't change the fact that YouGoogleTube is the most popular video platform existing.

Even though they said that they want to do something against spam, haters, etc. it actually got easier for them since all they need is a fake Google+ account. Also content producer actually seem to have much more trouble dealing with such comments since stuff like bold font, hash tags and unlimited comment size can be abused easily.

The main reason why Google forces people to use Google+ is that they are so powerful. Google+ is a flop, everybody knows it, even Google knows. There are way better social networks out there, but as long as the majority of the people doesn't stand up against it (what will never happen), nothing will change for the better.

In the future, Google+ will be even more integrated into GoogleTube and viewers will have no choice but to create an account.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Oh god.. I remember my old Youtube accound and the profile.
But when youtube did the changes it sucks. Google, this is madness! this is sparta!

Years
I'm very fed up with Google making changes every month and forcing everyone into it. Pretty sure they're just doing it for the hell of it/sake of change and most things they update get changed once again within a few months anyway. The new comment system is the absolute worst thing to date so far, though.. good thing I don't leave comments very much. Feel awful for those who do and aren't into G+. ;x

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
All the hate. Even Facebook doesn't get this much backlash. I think the implantation could've been better. They fixed up the replies which were honestly horrible to begin with.

Tone down the Google+, keep it out of the drop down settings, still require a account. I think the tag and the Google+'s notification bell is brilliant, defiantly better.

I say just tone down and refine. Then we'll get used to it, we'll grow to love it. I love now how they moved the description, some of the new stuff, multisize, I mean Google has enhanced Youtube, well making dodgy decisions. Facebook goes more downhill than this.

Google+ isn't meant to be like facebook, their different beast entirely. Facebook is meant more for Family and Friends, well Google+ works for discussions.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
In the old days, we all could set a Background, colours, customise our entire Channels, Embed any Video to our Channels, etc.

Today, all you can customise, is a ****ing Banner.

countryemo

Years
In the old days, we all could set a Background, colours, customise our entire Channels, Embed any Video to our Channels, etc.

Today, all you can customise, is a ****ing Banner.

Myspace > Facebook. Which ones more popular? The old days were nice, but simple and uniform is what everyones doing now.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
This is what the co-founder of YouTube said about all of this:
0EPtN65.png

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I could see myself moving on to Dailymotion if this keeps up. I think it's stupid how you have to have a G+ account in order to comment on youtube. For god sake, this ain't some social networking site. I'm lol'ing at the ASCII art myself.

countryemo

Years
Can I get answer on why everyone is up in flames? I mean I get it, it could've been a better implentation. But:
-Better reply system (Grouped/Threaded)
-Reply Notifications without digging through the menus)
-One you link the account you don't have to use G+, it's just a option that there.
-Youtube is a sort of social site, without the social features till now.

I think Google should change it all back, but keep the replies grouped/threaded and the notification bell. Those are superior to what we had before. And make G+ optional.
Without change we cannot grow. And since Google owns Youtube and you expect it not to have a Google touch? Naive. I feel the same way when a site requires your facebook or twitter linked. But those are fine because their more wide-spread. Same principal though.

Guest123_x1

With the changes YouTube has been pushing more and more since Google bought them out, it's clear that Google only wants one thing: Domination. Google is using the same 'bundling' tactics Microsoft used in the 1990s to enforce their operating system monopoly. There is no technical reason for this commenting system change, much like there was no technical reason for Microsoft to bundle Windows 4.0 and MS-DOS 7.0 together and sell them as a single product (Windows 95). The DOS/Windows bundle was only done to enforce Microsoft's operating system monopoly position and wipe out the market for competing brands of DOS (such as Novell's DR DOS.)
This also reeks similar to how AT&T/Ma Bell forced their telephone subscribers to only use telephones leased to them by Western Electric (owned by AT&T), a practice which led to the 1970s antitrust lawsuit that resulted in the Bell System's 1984 breakup.

Instead of forcing a flawed social networking platform (Google+) down unwanting customer's throats by bundling and integrating it with a video sharing platform, Google should about-face and admit its faults, and invest in improving G+ (and maybe put out a commercial promoting such an effort, much like how General Telephone {GTE, now Verizon} put out a commercial in 1970 in response to their California customers complaining about "less than adequate service.")

countryemo

Years
Instead of forcing a flawed social networking platform (Google+) down unwanting customer's throats by bundling and integrating it with a video sharing platform, Google should about-face and admit its faults, and invest in improving G+ (and maybe put out a commercial promoting such an effort.[/URL])
- Better video calling. (Which some has said it's better than Skype. Especially G+ Hangouts w/ extras.)
- Better image editing. (Facebook doesn't even have this.)
- Better for discussions. (The communities option, better than Facebook pages.)
- Great for events. (Imagine a facebook event page, with that cloud images (all images taken there would be shared with the people their (controllable.)
Plus another great thing is you can easily contact big ceos and other of companies, on facebook is pretty much pr team, you get real answers, from the big dogs, without hassle.
And Google is consistently investing and improving the service, at Google I/O, a event they just had 2 or so weeks ago. Google+ and Facebook are different beast. I do admit it's not perfect though, neither is any other social network. Facebook screws updates all the time.

I was on a youtuber forum earlier, and well there was some haters, some people who do youtube as a job actually see use in it, and could get to like, with some more work in the future.

Guy

just a guy
Years
My problem isn't that they changed the comment system. In all honestly, it wasn't exactly perfect before. My problem is how much they've been forcing Google+ accounts onto Youtube. For months now they've been asking if I wanted to link my Youtube account with Google+, and every time I politely declined their request. Now why go through all that trouble of asking for so long if you were just going to force it upon everyone anyway? That's just rude.

I like that we have more threaded comments, unlimited (?) character space, and more in the new system. Those are all good changes, however, the integration of it was poorly done and the force of Google+ is obtrusive. Youtube is incredibly lucky to have built the amount of success that they have, they're also lucky that there really isn't any other video upload site like it to give it any competition. But, they're isolating their users and changing things that are not wanted over things that need fixing. Not cool.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
- Better video calling. (Which some has said it's better than Skype. Especially G+ Hangouts w/ extras.)
- Better image editing. (Facebook doesn't even have this.)
- Better for discussions. (The communities option, better than Facebook pages.)
- Great for events. (Imagine a facebook event page, with that cloud images (all images taken there would be shared with the people their (controllable.)
Plus another great thing is you can easily contact big ceos and other of companies, on facebook is pretty much pr team, you get real answers, from the big dogs, without hassle.
And Google is consistently investing and improving the service, at Google I/O, a event they just had 2 or so weeks ago. Google+ and Facebook are different beast. I do admit it's not perfect though, neither is any other social network. Facebook screws updates all the time.

None of those things really seem to drive me to prefer Google+ over Facebook or other social network.The thing for me is, I just don't feel the need to join one more social network when I have Facebook, Intsagram, Tumblr, and Twitter (and DeviantART if you count that as a social network). That's enough for me and that's the problem with the new comment system. I'm being forced to use Google +, a social network I don't want or need, everytime I want to make a comment on video, like a comment, or reply to someone. I quite like Youtube so I don't see myself just switching to another video sharing site. They don't have as good video creators as Youube does. I mean have you ever heard of a famous Vimeo user or Dailymotion user? I haven't. Threaded comments doesn't seem bad at all cause it makes looking at replies easier. No character limit is nice and all , but now there's been more spammy and trolling comments such as these for example.
(Spoilered for being NSFW.)
Spoiler:

There's a lot worse ones, but they're definitely not PC appropriate but yeah 5th comment down on this video.

I've seen more of these kind of comments after the new intergration was made public and they're annoying honestly. So in an attempt to make Youtube less spammy and have less trolls, they've actually made the problem worse. Also the top comment system is awful. The comments on this video for example.

All of the top comments lately seem to be more against her and more for Google +. But if you look at like/dislike bar, you'll see there's way more likes than dislike. 115,000+ likes is much greater than 3,900+ dislikes. And if you clicked on "Newest First" You'll see more comments supporting her and agreeing with her. This post explains it better than I can. He also posted a comment on the video which got over 400 thumbs up which now seem to have disappeared. It looks like to me Google is manipulating the top comments to make it seem people support the integration and love Google +. This is another example of this. Just simple censorship at it's best. As I said though, nothing wrong with threaded comments or the other features, just the fact you're forced to sign on to Google+ to make a comment. What would of been fine if it were just an option for people to be able to comment on Youtube using their Google+ account. Then I wouldn't be forced to have a social network I don't even want.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
My problem isn't that they changed the comment system. In all honestly, it wasn't exactly perfect before. My problem is how much they've been forcing Google+ accounts onto Youtube. For months now they've been asking if I wanted to link my Youtube account with Google+, and every time I politely declined their request. Now why go through all that trouble of asking for so long if you were just going to force it upon everyone anyway? That's just rude.

I like that we have more threaded comments, unlimited (?) character space, and more in the new system. Those are all good changes, however, the integration of it was poorly done and the force of Google+ is obtrusive. Youtube is incredibly lucky to have built the amount of success that they have, they're also lucky that there really isn't any other video upload site like it to give it any competition. But, they're isolating their users and changing things that are not wanted over things that need fixing. Not cool.

These changes are why I am giving up on vlogging on YouTube. I like G+, and I loved YouTube until the most recent changes. Of course in a few years many users will have just gotten use to it, it's still a hassle.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I wish Google didn't bought YouTube at all.
Ever since they bought it, YT has been going uglier and uglier in every update... -,-

What I really hate the most is that I'm now forced to visit my G+ account to check on my newly received comments. -,-

Back