• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokemon Prof?

Years
All new Pokemon trainers could use a little help. Which pokemon professor would you prefer to learn from?

If you had the chance to pick a mentor just like you pick your starter then who would be the right one to work with you? Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, Sycamore or Kukui. The choice is yours.

If you really want someone not from the main series games like Professor Willow or Ivy then I guess that's fine too!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Birch, definitely. He was always a doer, studying the habitats of pokémon and being able to give me good hints about where to find pokémon. And he's also a good father so he'd be keen on helping me out and be patient with me hopefully.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Based off my experiences thus far (note : I'm unfamiliar with titles that go from gen5 to the present)
I can tell you that, as mentor, I would most lively revere either prof. Hastings(inventor of the capture styler)
or mentor Chatot(from Wigglytuff's exploration guild, even if he's not an actual professor).
The hasty prof. Hastings seems quite a funny fellow, who happened to break the fourth wall twice in a row.

Issaac, thank you! That took courage! This could save Almia!
Tell the researchers! The password is "Melody!" Wait,
there's no exclamation mark! It's just "Melody." Without
a period either!

As for mentor chatot... I can't quite remember why I had a thing for that 'mon...
Oh wait, could it be because of... this?
images

The problem with the two : whereas they could still give us some reminders about
type advantages, one comes from a place where pokéballs aren't seen and there's
no league, and despite he could help us when it comes to the styler, he probably can't
when it comes to pokéballs or TMs...

The other, well... could give tips regard TMs but is without a doubt unfamiliar with any
(other) man-made item. He did, actually feel helpful early in the game, unlike various
professors, however it is also true that it's thanks to said professors if we got our starters,
and after mentore taught us basics about the billboards, well... leaving most of the earnings
to the guild federation as part of the training didn't really feel gratifying, but again there's
barely anything to use the team's funds for, since the kecleon mart keeps changing wares
and said wares are pointless most of the time...
EDIT: Forgot to mention that mentor chatot *redacted* for you and your partner at the bottom of the Brine cave

Last edited:
Years
These are some cool choices so far.

Of the professors I'm familiar with I think Professor Sycamore would be nice. It came down to either him or Prof Juniper. They are of a somewhat similar ilk. They are not just bright minds but are also free-spirited with some youthful vigor that you would not get from say Prof Oak.

Because Sycamore's one of the most involved professors story-wise I feel as though he loves and nurtures the trainers who come to him a bit more, and really gives you a beautiful send-off at the end of XY.

He's this cool, classy guy doing some of the more ambitious research out of there-- unlocking the mysteries of mega evolution. He's the first prof in the main series who will battle you to keep you on your toes. The man is even awesome enough to even have a Garchomp hanging out with him in his lab.

string555

Banned
Years
Professor Oak, because he's the OG. :P

But I would rather be a student of Fantina, since she uses the Ghost-type. :D (I realize she's not a professor)

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Professor Juniper due to being the first female professor in game and is from unova.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
Birch because he doesn't study inside a building, and in the beginning he's getting chased around so we would probably get into a lot of funny situations.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Juniper! Maybe I'm biased due to my love for Unova, but I like her cheerful, breezy sort of attitude, and...I don't know, she just seems like somebody I'd interact with in real life, somehow. Plus, she was willing to take Bianca under her wing, who is...more similar to me than I want to admit. XD

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Rowan no contest

he dosent play favorites (oak)
he isnt absent minded (elm)
he dosent spend far too much time in the field (birch, kukui, juniper to an extent)
he actually acts like a professor rather than a bland nobody that could easily be replaced by any random npc (sycamore)

he's firm but fair, he's happy to put young trainers on their journey if their intentions are pure, he's chosen to study one of the most mysterious aspects of pokemon and he hits the right balance of field work and lab work.

Years
Professor Juniper, Rowan, or Sycamore. I've always loved Juniper, as she's almost a motherly figure, and I admire her youthful and energetic spirit.

Sycamore is similar to Juniper this way, he's very friendly, and personally I would love to learn about Pokemon in a place as grand as Lumiose City. He also is very involved with his 'students' if you will, and he genuinely cares about them.

Rowan, he's is full of knowledge and wisdom, which I admire and Pokemon Pearl was my very first game so learning from him would bring up a lot of nostalgia. :)

But really, all of the professors are unique and amazing, these ones just happen to be my favourites.

Last edited:
Years
Professor Rowan is my favourite of all the professors. He is grizzled and stern, having devoted his life to his research, and as a result has no respect for those who waste his time (such as Team Galactic grunts), though he does help those who work for their dreams, showing that he can be kind.
His appearance makes him seem almost scary, like an old lion, but that only helps highlight his wisdom. You respect what he has to say due to his seniority.
He is a lot like his region Sinnoh: quite cold and formidable. Unlike other video game professors, he isn't overly friendly with you - you only met at the beginning of the game - but he still congratulates you at the Hall of Fame.
I also find his research on evolution the most interesting (after all, everyone loves evolution.) It seems much more mystical and alien than other Professors' research, such as Kukui's research on Pokemon moves.
He also treats Dawn/Lucas very well, so based on all that I've said, I'd probably enjoy learning from him.

Another Professor I like is Professor Hastings from Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia. Because another user already gave a pretty in-depth look at Professor Hastings, I'll just say that he is like a more humorous Professor Rowan, which is great in my book, and his travels would provide great hands on experience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Aug 1, 2022
I loved Pokemon Rowan! But maybe just because it is also my name? XD (my name is Roan)

Years
I think I'd go with both of the Junipers if that counts. Both Professor Juniper and her dad have different fields of expertise, and sometimes have differing opinions on things, so it would be nice to learn from different points of view, instead of just one.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I've always liked Professor Rowan more than the other professors, although Kukui is a close second. Even though Hoenn is my favourite region, I'm not a big fan of Professor Birch.

Years
Oak, Juniper, or Sycamore! I love those three. Oak is such an experienced and iconic character, who wouldn't want him as a mentor in the Pokéworld? + Juniper and Sycamore are v beautiful <3 ya that is a reason ok

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I'm going to have to go with Oak. Elm was too energetic and weird (I hated him in the anime). Only benifite from him is the starters. Cyndaquil > Charmander. Birch maybe. Except that I don't want to live in a place like Hoenn where it's tropical. Sinnoh is nice except for the stern Professor Rowan.

Back