• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Favorite Starter Pokémon

Who is your Favorite R/S/E starter Pokémon?

• Mudkip

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Treecko

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Torchic

Votes: 30 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I've always foudn it kinda hard to choose between the starters in this generation, because they're all amazing. I mean, the only one that really falls short is Sceptile, but it still has amazing speed to make up for it, and their standards are just sooo much higher than those of any other generations in my opinion.

The Treecko family would honestly get my vote if it all came down to design. I don't know why, but I've always found Treecko and its evolutions' designs to be rather... intriguing for a lack of better word. I don't know what it is about them, but I've just always liked their design. Perhaps because I thought it looked a lot cooler compared to both Blaziken and Swampert which I've admittedly found to be relatively ugly :( I know a lot of people love Blaziken, but I just never really saw the appeal in its design. So when it comes to design, Sceptile all the way!

As for battle performance, I've found Swampert and Blaziken to be kinda tied. Again, a lot of people love Blaziken, but I've always found Swampert to be both strong, as well as having an interesting and original typing. Well, I know, it's not that original, seeing as Quagsire also had it, but at least it's not Fire/Fighting! (yeah okay, it was a new idea back then, but that's also one of the things that made Blaziken so awesome :p) But yeah, they're both insanely strong, and can hold their own in battle. Well above Sceptile, whom I found to be kiiinda struggling in staying strong all the way through the game. By the time I reached the E4, even though it was a few levels above the rest of my team, it was definitely not the strongest, and only really helped me in the battle against Glacia, where its speed really helped take down the part Water types. And that was pretty much the best thing about Sceptile. Its speed was definitely something I loved, and was the main reason I initially picked it, but yeah, it still fell kinda short in comparison to the other two. So yeah, in battle performance, Swampert and Blaziken are kinda tied from my viewpoint.

And when it all comes down to actually choosing the favourite, I honestly reckon I'd have to go with the Mudkip family. Not only is it great in battle and has an interesting and unique typing, it's also generally very lovable. I know I said I didn't like Swampert's design, but I sure as heck like Mudkip's, just because of the cute and derpy, yet somehow strong looking dynamic. It's not like Torchic that just looks like a little weak bird, but turns out to be one of the strongest and most popular starters to have ever been made, but more like you know that you're gonna get something strong out of it. And well, you probably herd i liek mudkipz ;)

Empire

Lurking since 2008
Years
I could never understand all the Torchic hate, it's super cute and even though it's first form doesn't look so fierce, it evolves into an awesome Blaziken.

I have nostalgia of a 9 year old me and his Blaziken just ripping through the Elite four, I'm sorry I'm getting a little teary eyed. *wipes away tears*

Yes, Torchic it is for me. My first starter in Sapphire who coincidentally became my first ever Pokemon!

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
Years
First time I played the Emerald I picked Torchic, because i see Blaziken, but now I'm choosing Mudkip, awesome evolutions ( Swampert ^^ ), move's .. and Swampert look the strongest for me :P

Last edited:

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
When I first got my dad to buy Emerald for my friend and I (I conned his girlfriend into buying two for like $160, it was amazing) we both decided to choose different starters, he chose Treecko so I went with Mudkip, ever since then he has been my favorite mainly because of his evolution's Water/Ground type. However I can't say I dislike any of Hoenn's starters. I've never had trouble with any of them, and I like all of their designs.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
Mudkip. Not because of the meme, though. To be realistic about it, the typing is one thing (despite the only sole 4x grass weakness), and back in the 3rd gen days, in its fully evolved state, it was one of the biggest troll Pokémon I used against other opponents. Vividly remember treating this one as a CursePert...threw in ice beam as a form of surprise. At least, I knew what I was doing with this.

blue

gucci
Years
The Hoenn starters are the best trio, love all three of em! However when first playing Sapphire I chose Torchic, and for that reason my vote goes to Torchic! All of them are awesome though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I hate all of them, in typing and design. Blaziken has competitive value these days from Speed Boost, but I really just don't like any of them.
Worst starter designs ever, IMO of course.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
Grass Grass & more Grass :D

I always chose between Treecko & Mudkip - They're both are awesome but the for a final form I choose Sceptile family - they're so badass looking .

walakatapia

z.1004
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
I picked torched because Blaziken looks cool. I hate those guys saying Blaziken sucks and is overrated or sceptile is the only awesome Pokemon in this gen or swampert because Blaziken looks ugly. I think all of them are cool and used all of them at different versions of gen 3, but you can't say you hate them because you think that it is not cool or overrated. Everybody has their own favorites. I aint saying that the others are not cool or nice but since the game came out, I picked charmander, which is a fire type and picked fire type starters since then, that's why the vote goes to torchic, my favorite. I'm not a big fan of the sixth gen fire starter though.

I hate all of them, in typing and design. Blaziken has competitive value these days from Speed Boost, but I really just don't like any of them.
Worst starter designs ever, IMO of course.

y u say hate? u want die?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? just kidding but don't say hate cause I never said hate on the sixst gen starters(specifically the fire type final evo, looks really lame and girly) Greninja is cool though.

Last edited:

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 5, 2014
My vote goes to Mudkip. Throughout my playthroughs of ruby I have found it the most usefull. Water/ground typing really goes a long way. On top of that, I happen to be one of those weird guys who goes with water the most often, rather than the more common fire. Until gen 4 I always went through a region the first time with a water type.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Torchic > Treecko > Mudkip

Torchic was my first Hoehn starter, and I usually pick it over the others, unless I'm doing multiple runs in a short period, so I want to play with the others too.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
1. Torchic
2. Mudkip
3. Treeko

Torchic is always my favorite, because dang is it adorable, and its a beast for stats.
Mudkip is adorable and has an amazing look in its final evolution.
Treeko, I guess I never sucessfuly played with, and got bored.
(By the way- I used each type for each version, Torchic:Ruby Mudkip:Sapphire Emerald:Treeko )

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Treecko, it was the first Grass Starter I picked on my first run through and it was a gecko and I liked geckos at them time. I still would pick Treecko over the others because of it's design.

Back