• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Congrats! Its a boy!

Years
Does it matter to you whether a certain Pokemon is male or a female?

For me no, it is not a big deal unless the male and female look or function dramatically different like the Nidoran line or it has an evolution that is gender specific like combee.

Some players however do have a gender preference, even if there is no fundamental difference between the male and female. For instance I recently traded a milotic of mine to a nice lady in Germany. I sent a girl at her express request. But wouldn't a male have made just as sleek of an addition to her team as a female? I think so :)

Gender preference was also on my mind recently when breeding a batch of hidden ability pokemon for a friend. I was asked to breed an adamant Primeape with defiant. I offered him the first one I bred with perfect ivs, a girl. I thought it was a good thing because he would always be able to pass down the species with a girl and have better odds of bestowing the hidden ability if he wanted more Primeape. However, he didn't want her when he found out she was a girl. He wanted his fighting pokemon to be boys. So I stored the rejected female monkey and chained until I had a boy with the same IVs :/ I feel sorry for the girl one with nobody to love her.

Is gender important for you in Pokemon?

Last edited:
Years
It's never been important to me, other than the one time I wanted a female Ralts.

In the past for some reason my best Pokémon have been male though.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I never have this problem because I play Generation 1 where Genders(exception Nidoran) and breeding don't exist. Therefore I have to use my imagination on what Gender they happen to be. My latest run ironically is following:

Pikachu(Male) nicknamed Gus
Spearow(Male) nicknamed Diaval
Sandshrew(Male) nicknamed Mickey
Bulbasaur(Female) nicknamed Rosetta
Vulpix(Female) nicknamed Vixey
Tentacool(Female) nicknamed Ursula

*Cookie to those who can tell me the nickname theme there*

Years
I like my pokemon team to consist mostly of females, specifically for breeding purposes. However, gender is irrelevant to me in terms of starters or pokemon such as Eevee who are considerably more likely to be male.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Nah. Except for a few. I prefer male Wobbuffet since the female has that weird unfitting lipstick on it, making it look silly. And the female Heracross design has grown on me, and its pretty rare so I slightly prefer it more now.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
For me it really depends on the nickname I have planned for it. Most of the time my team consists of female Pokemon, even when I decide not to nickname them. Not exactly sure why my preference is the way it is tbh.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've never really cared what gender they are. Though I have a friend who will restart her game until her starter is a female and all of her Pokemon on her team have to be female. I really just don't see a reason for it they do the same thing.

Years
I used to often have female-dominated teams, that was until X, where I had a gender-equal team in the main story for the first time. Granted, the males I had were all in that 7 males to 1 female ratio, but it was a sign.

My main story team in Ultra Moon had three females (Lopunny, Tsareena, Hawlucha), two males (Primarina and Dusk Lycanroc) and one genderless, which was a Magnezone. Still half females, but at least unlike my Soul Silver, Black, Black 2 (R.I.P.) and Moon teams that still had more females.

Years
A majority of the time I don't care, since most Pokemon are pretty much the same on battle regardless of gender. The only times that it actually matters to me is if I prefer the way one looks to the other (ex: Pyroar, Meowstic, Hippowdon), I want a single-gender evolution (ex: Snorunt -> Froslass), or I've got a nickname already in mind, and it would work better with one gender than the other.

I don't try to balance out my team for gender and rarely even notice. I think the first time I even paid attention to my entire team's genders was going through Ultra Moon, and I happened to see I had a 5 female/1 male split for a good portion of the game.

Years
It's actually really not super important to me, honestly! Unless, as some people have mentioned before me, I want to use a gender-specific evolution of that Pok?mon. I also usually name my Pok?mon as I get them, so it's not like I ever have any plans messed up by a Pok?mon not being a specific gender.

I do generally try for the rarer gender of Pok?mon with uneven gender ratios, though, especially if the ratio is 7:1 like starters, Eevee, etc.

Last edited:

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I try to keep my Pokemon team gender balanced. Three males, three females. If I'm using genderless Pokemon, I still try to keep the ratio at least somewhat equal. The only exception is the generation two games where I go for males unless the Pokemon in question is a Special Attacker. I specifically chose to get a male Hoppip for my Jumpluff solo run.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
I usually don't care about a Pok?mon's gender unless the male/female design looks more interesting or the Pok?mon has a masculine/feminine appearance.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Yeah, gender of a Pok?mon matters to me for certain Pokemon. But most of the time, I really don't care.

Obviously, I always want a female Salandit and Combee. Sometimes I actually do want a balanced gender team--ie, half male, half female, but not always. It doesn't really bother me.

Years
yes! I tend to prefer specific Pok?mon as certain genders. Just better for me to imagine that way, since I like to think of my player as a character and her Pok?mon as characters with their own distinct behavior and personalities, which can tie in to their gender for some.

Years
It really depends on the name i put to them, my red/blue team mosty is full of males and there is only 1 female, that is nidoqueen, same to my fr/lg, other than that, i don't care really much.

Years
For some reason, I've cared a lot about gender over the years. @___@ I like most of my Pokemon female, but idk I don't really care if they come out male in certain cases. It's rather hard to explain.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
No, I don't care, unless I get a team of mostly a certain gender but 1 mon and I didn't expect that.

Usually, I end up with a gender nuetral team in both nuzruns and regular play. In my latest nuzrun, I have a team of 5 females and 1 male. I think that is worrisome, but for a really dumb reason. The last death montage I watched online had all his feamale teammates dead... :freaked-out:

Back