• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Identity

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Because I'm so innovative (and because interested in what other people have to say about it... but more-so because I wanted to make my own thread based on my opinion because I'm a little bit vain and very innovative you know me), I'm making a thread based on a reply I made to Razor Leaf's question on whether (if you're a guy) you feel manly, or (if you're a girl) you feel like a woman.

My reply read: "Judging strictly based on how I feel, I feel I'm androgynous. Judging on how I view masculinity and femininity, I'm 100% masculine just by being a guy. Judging on how society views masculinity and femininity, I'd say I'm about 60% masculine and 40% feminine. I'm not sure if it's progressive of me or not of my view of masculinity and femininity being so black and white, when there are so many people out there with gender identity issues, but I guess I feel that if you're a girl biologically, you're a girl as a gender even if you act like how society depicts a guy to act, and likewise for "girly" guys."

What's your opinion on gender identity? How do you feel about the way society has assigned gender roles and associated certain characteristics with masculine and femininity? Do you agree with their depiction, or do you challenge them in your mind? Another question for you to answer here. Just reply what you want to reply with now I guess.

Not here for debates, but a nice discussion would be nice I forgot to pick a prefix so if Nick or Harry could get on that, that'd be great xox.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
but I guess I feel that if you're a girl biologically, you're a girl as a gender even if you act like how society depicts a guy to act, and likewise for "girly" guys.

I agree to that, and I view people that way generally unless they're transgender, in which case, I refer to them as whatever they wish to be perceived as, and see them as such.

I know plenty of people are put off by gender roles that society as grown to follow. For example some of the guys that I know feel less manly if they don't fit ALL OF THE MALE STEREOTYPES, or follow any of the female ones. Likewise for girls who act boyish, and they feel like they're weird for that. For that reason I dislike gender roles, but I also find it fascinating when people aren't afraid to go completely against them. Myself, I'm pretty androgynous, or so I've been told. I'm biologically female, but sometimes if you're seeing me from afar or from a picture, that could be hard to notice because of how male I can be. In that way, I also fit more to the male gender role, but I also have moments where I can be pretty dang noticeably a chick. xD

I challenge gender roles all the time, and I enjoy doing so. I just go with what I feel, and in the end people can perceive me however they want. I don't exactly fall under being "transgender", not fully, I'm a bit fluid with it, and I tend to find people more interesting if they're a bit the same.

Gender identity itself is interesting, but also a bit weird when I think too much about it, because I end up wondering just how the typical male / female roles ended up being what they are, and why. Who says guys can't wear dresses without first wanting to be entirely female? Or visa versa for girls. It does create issues for society labels, and it could probably be discussed for hours without reaching any end.

Z_Z

Zzz
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2012
Gender roles have largely been broken for our generation. I don't relaly think many people are in touch with what it means to be masculine or feminine. A lot of people try and find identity by trying to fit a stereotype of what a man or woman is. But this is quite different.

^^^ this sounds confusing. I'll try give an example. Guys are now much more into going to the gym, body building, getting tattoos etc to display their masculinity. But although being buff is a male thing, focusing so much energy on your physical appearance is a feminine concept. It's a result of young women earning as much or more than a lot of young boys, and no longer judging their status on their wealth, but other things including appearance.

Years
I feel that identity is something a person should choose for themselves. Lots of people grow up thinking of themselves in terms that they didn't pick for themselves, or just went along with because it's what was expected of them. You see that in families where kids follow the same religion of their parents, or later in life adopting the same political stances their family have. I see gender identity in much the same way, only to a greater extent since almost all people accept the gender that they're given when they're born.

It's not always the case, and I think more people at least think about it at some point when they grow up, but most people just accept it. Probably because on the surface it's a very simple concept: male or female. I'm okay with that. People ought to do what feels right for them. But the problem I have is that because it's so prevalent for people to accept the gender they were assigned at birth they expect everyone else to do the same. And people rarely have the exact same concept of what a gender identity connotes.

Again, I wouldn't mind so much that people assume gender identities for others if it didn't have gender roles attached to it. I mean, what does it matter if a stranger thinks you're a girl or a boy? It wouldn't matter, except they often expect you to act differently depending on your perceived gender. Going back to what I was saying, I think people should do what feels right for them, so if you feel good wearing one style of clothing or doing one kind of activity then you should do that. But other people get in the way of that, sometimes get mad at that, and it bothers me.

I could ramble on forever so I'mma gonna stop here.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I view myself masculine in general but with more than a few effeminate traits thrown in for good measure. I am biologically male, but am not so insecure as to be unable to recognize than in certain instances I can relate better to females than to males.

My personal opinion is that we place too much emphasis on labels. While society requires this of us to some extent, I submit we should probably start to let go of some these labels where they don't quite fit. The way things are going, there are so many labels that can be attributed to people that instead of using the labels themselves, we'd have to begin using acronyms to describe individual traits.

Years
Sadly this generation seems to have been divided into different groups, and people are judged constantly, and judged on foolish things at that. If you're smart and have a interest in technology, you're considered a nerd/geek, etc. But more to the topic, people are called gay/homo, if they act slightly masculine or slightly feminine, and it's all just a bunch of Bull. Even more to the topic, I am completely masculine because I'm biologicly male, but I do think I act a bit more like you would think a girl would, just because I usually have stronger friendships with girls because I don't like most "masculine" things.

So that's my input.

Back