• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tedious things you've done in pokemon

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Pokemon can get pretty tedious sometimes.

I remember wasting time trying to sketch transform from ditto on route 45, but it turns out that sketch can't do that in gen 2. An annoying setback, so I ended up catching a Pinsir and Magnemite and putting them in the daycare and started biking back and forth through Goldenrod till they learned lock-on and guillotine. This took a very long time, I was doing other stuff and multi-tasking at that point because it was so boring. Then I took them to ruins of alph to use those moves on wild Smeargle so my Smeargle could sketch them.

It was so dull, only reason I did all of this was because I happen to really like Smeargle and wanted to use it in a playthrough, outside of competitive stuff. GF should of given him better stats damn it, then I wouldn't have to go out of my way to get rare moves.

Another tedious thing was losing to Whitney's Miltank when I was younger. I had probably reset my game over a dozen times from that. Miltank kept beating confusion, milk drinking and KOing all my pokemon. Even now Whitney is still a pain whenever I replay GSC.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I've gone back and forth on a bike hatching eggs more times than you can imagine. So much so, I used to be able to watch hour long TV show marathons while doing it.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I've gone back and forth on a bike hatching eggs more times than you can imagine. So much so, I used to be able to watch hour long TV show marathons while doing it.

Was it for competitive battling? Yeah, breeding and grinding are the most tedious things in pokemon.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Was it for competitive battling? Yeah, breeding and grinding are the most tedious things in pokemon.

Yes, but I'm a perfectionist regardless. The Pokemon have to be flawless specimens to use, and that takes a lot of time.

I did that even when I was on emulation and couldn't battle competitively.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years

This. Although in my case it's spinning my C-stick in circles when hatching eggs. I've done this tens of thousands of times and it's still not broken off from all the furious spinning. However in my case, this has pretty much burned into me to the sake of getting completely used to it, even though I pretty much occupy myself by watching YouTube, surfing Discord or listening to music to make the process less painful.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Not super tedious but the first time I went through Plasma Frigate I battled all the extra trainers then my game shut off unsaved and I had to rebattle everyone.

I guess another tedious thing is I?m currently shiny hunting for a Nidoran female in Gen 6. I?m at 2700 eggs so far without a shiny and am on phase 21 for the shiny in a horde. I started this hunt last Sept. For the record I am using Masuda Method but no shiny charm. The worst part is with Masuda I have a 50% chance to get a male. Ugh.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I'm currently trying to get all the (non-legendary) wormhole shinies in Ultra Moon - I've got 12 separate species so far. It's even more tedious because I haven't caught very many of the legendaries..."You sense a great presence!" "&@^%!"

I tried doing a run of Platinum where I caught one Pokemon from every obtainable evolution line in the Sinnoh Dex as soon as they were available (just to feed my Sinnoh nostalgia), but that turned out to be too tedious for me...^_^"

In one run of Y, running around in the grass until I found a 12.5% chance male Litleo, knowing full well that there was no functional difference between the two genders - I wanted that mane, dangit. >:|

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Trying to get a wild Politoed in USUM. 1% through SOS only in the rain. I had to get a Pelipper with Drought and just SOSed a bunch of Meowth until it appeared. It got even better because it used Perish Song and fainted so I had to do it all over again.

Bunch of other things:
-Chain fishing up a Shiny Dratini in Y. 3 days and over 40 other shinies (Poliwhirl and Basculin)
-SOSing a Volcarona. 1% Larvesta then 1% Volcarona through SOS when Larvesta calls rarely. Pain in the ass
-Hidden Grotto exclusive pokemon. Easily one of the most tedious ways to get a pokemon.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Attempting to get the Lurantis outfit before finishing Ultra Moon's main story. Right now I'm on the second island with one part of the uniform and my entire Festival Plaza is filled with lottery shops.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
I poured HOURS of gameplay into breeding perfect Pok?mon. I don't do it anymore just because of how long it takes, especially without a perfect Ditto to help. In Gen VI, I used to have to catch multiple Ditto in the Friend Safari and put them in the Daycare in different combinations depending on which two IVs they had.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
When I played Platinum, I would back track through every route and town after getting an HM, to see if there were any rocks I could break, or trees I would be able to cut. I didn't use repels either, so this could end up taking me a very long time.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I had a go at levelling up Magikarp once, but gave up after a few levels.

Training Magikarp early game and without a exp share is rough. In Kanto when I bought the $500 Magikarp from that shady guy Magikarp was dead weight for a while and even when it evolved it was useless in Surge's gym.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2019
I attempted to RNG an egg in Emerald once... On actual hardware... Using a really crappy stopwatch to try to get the exact time to take the egg... After days of this, I gave up because I realized it's pointless.

Oh and one time I decided to just walk around Mt Pyre in ruby for a while in the hopes of running into a shiny Duskull....... I walked around for 4 hours until I realized just how ridiculous that is.

Also, Head It.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
A couple days ago I was asking myself if I should buy a new game. I decided to go for it when I had made sure to at least have a postgame save file on every Pokemon game on the DS/3DS. I then had to realize that I had three games without such a file. As a result I spend three days doing nothing but beating them again. Well, technically I spend a couple more days beating another game for above reason, as well, but its not part of the Pokemon franchise, you know.

Other than that I still have fond memories of grinding in gen 1 and 2 back in the day. Those where the magical days when I still had the patience to do stuff like that...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Trying to find a Feebas in Pokemon Sapphire. It took three hours. Which seems like nothing compared to how long it's taken some other people to find one in that generation.

Finding a Dunsparce in SoulSilver was also kind of tedious--took me nearly four hours, but I found one eventually. It was still worth it.

& Using Pokemon that need to be traded to evolve in my teams, a lot of the time it's tiring to open up my other game just to trade the Pokemon back and forth to get it to evolve...

I'm not the type of person who gives up very easily when I'm dedicated to something, maybe I should try doing the tedium that is finding a Munchlax tree next time.

Last edited:
Back