• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen If The Follow-Me Feature Came Back...

Years
I don't really care it would be really nice in 3d but it isn't a let down if they aren't adding it
But I hope they'll finally add the feature that you're actually surfing on the Pokemon who uses surf and not some random Wailmer/Lapras/whatever If I use surf on my feraligatr I want to surf on Feraligatr and not some other ugly pokemon...

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I guess it could be fun, seeing as 3D is easier to work with. The limitatons of 2D mean that they really weren't going to make a crazy huge spriteset's worth of unique animations per Pokemon, but in 3D, they could give them some sort of mind of their own.

Here's an example: Say you aren't moving anywhere for a while. The game can now have idle animations.

The animations are based on three criteria: The nature of the Pokemon, the time of day/how much it's been worked, and how much it likes you.

However, to keep things interesting, no dreadfully uninspired and boring animations allowed. Period (like just because the Pokemon's a Caterpie doesn't mean that all it does is blink, if that (or go into a default battle pose). Don't give all the animations to Pikachu simply because it's Pikachu). At the plainest, a Pokemon can look back and forth to get its bearings, but that's it. I feel like if a Pokemon really doesn't like you, after a few seconds, it should get "angry eyes" and then turn its back on you until you start moving again. If a Pokemon has a jovial disposition, maybe it does some backflips in place. If a Pokemon is a trickster or ghost type, maybe it makes a scary face behind your back. Or steals something from your bag (a prop, not a real item) like an apple and eats it. If a Pokemon really likes you, it'll run circles around you if it's small like Eevee or Rattata (and your trainer'll react and have an n_n face or something). If it's bigger, maybe it'll tackle hug you or something.

If it's tired from it being late at night, worked for a long period of time, or is just a lethargic Pokemon like Slakoth, it'll just yawn and go to sleep. For something Poke specific, Skitty could chase its tail, Meowth could count the coins it stashed to itself, etc.

I think just including stuff like this will give your Pokemon more of a sense of being, because as it stands now, they're just weapons with faces. Honestly, that's all I really want to see in these games. Give me some kind of signs of life with these creatures. I just don't understand why I'm playing a game called Pokemon instead of Advance Wars if Game Freak isn't going to make the effort to have me empathize with the creatures.

Years
I would definitely want this feature to return omg. It'd be so fun to have a caterpie follow me around. Yes, I'd have to go with caterpie, just because it's the first cute pokemon that popped into my head. The list of pokemon I would want to follow me is enormous (sandshrew, golett, dratini, kabuto, bidoof even...) so basically anything adorable would be what I want. I'd love if they could help you out of battle, like if you could use their attacks to complete miniquests or something! And also, it'd be cool if there was a more realistic friendship system, where it was harder to gain a mon's friendship depending on their nature etc. And having them automatically do some actions would be cool too!

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I'd like pokemon to follow me, but with slightly better scaling, steelix in hg/ss was slightly taller than a ten year old so if they made some big pokemon look slightly bigger then I'd love it

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
Years
I loved it when I had my starter following me, especially when I was marching up to Indigo Plateau. I really hope this feature is in again, cause it adds more emotion, kinda, and it builds attachment.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
I don't expect it to happen, but what if you could go into a room that had all of them just walking around, like in the Dream World?

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
If they are going to make following pokemon return, I would like a proper size scale for each pokemon, like the pokemon would be scaled to their actual size - just like in the anime! Wouldn't it be so cool to have a small bug type buzzing around your character as you walk along, or a bird pokemon (such as Archeops XD) flying beside you as your trusty ally?
I like what some other guy said, you could ride your pokemon! Screw the bikes! In this 3D environment, I think it would be a great feature, the only problem is that you have to get a ride-able pokemon, I mean you can't really ride on a joltik now can you? No.
I would also like to be able to turn the feature off, you know, just in case I get sick of the follow-me thing.

(The size scaling probably wouldn't work if you had a wailord on your team, and it would be pretty tricky using wailord for surfing as well, it's just too big! An onix would work though, it's pretty big but thin at the same time, so it could walk around with you. One way to solve the wailord problem is to not put it in the game at all. There! Problem solved! Who cares if it's not in the game anyway, there are far better water types to choose from.)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
It would be cool if all my party Pokemon decided to follow me. :P That way I don't need to find out which Pokemon I have. It's probably not gonna work for every Pokemon though, as if I caught a Yveltal for example and decided to make it follow me inside a building it would obviously be too big, and it might obstruct the camera's view as well.

So, I do like to see it return; GameFreak may not have realized how useful this feature can be.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If they are going to make following pokemon return, I would like a proper size scale for each pokemon, like the pokemon would be scaled to their actual size - just like in the anime!

Not all Pokemon were properly sized in the Anime. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Size_discrepancies_in_the_Pokémon_anime

There isn't any way to properly size them and allow for easy gameplay. They'd all be scaled up or down similar to how they were in HG/SS and in D/P/Pt.

That said. I really do not want this to return. I did not like them using it and found it a huge waste of data that could have been better put to adding more attacks or in game content.

MidiMasterShiro

Music Hacker/Composer
Years
I really don't care whether this feature is added in or not. But, it would be pretty useless if they did add it in. Not to mention the data it will take up since they would most likely have to remodel every Pokemon again just to put it in the overworld.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
I would like them to add the follow me feature again :( While they're at it, make an option where you can choose when you want it to follow you or not.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I really don't care whether this feature is added in or not. But, it would be pretty useless if they did add it in. Not to mention the data it will take up since they would most likely have to remodel every Pokemon again just to put it in the overworld.
Other than picking up a few items here and there, the Follow-Me feature was never supposed to be seen as something useful. It was really more or less an aesthetic change from the norm and another selling point to HG/SS at the time.

I would love to see it back, but as an optional feature. Sadly, I find it unlikely unless otherwise shown. Playing White2 right now and seeing a number of Pokémon out and about makes me realize they could have kept this feature in Gen V, but chose not to. So I'm guessing the Follow-Me was something of an exclusive to HG/SS until they decide to pick it back up again, if ever.

Fennevyrom

Oh and charizard XD
Years
It would be wonderful having a pokemon following you in 3D but riding them would be pure epic. Especially if you traded a zekrom over lolz or rayquaza, imagine riding them! You should also be able to play minigames while surfing/flying/digging/waterfall scaling. I would love that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You guys know B/W 2 had the code inside and the sprites but they were left unused. Right?

I was not aware of that! Although the fact that it was unused makes me think that in both sets of games, the feature could return via special download, or 3DS app, or something along those lines. I mean if they did it for B2/W2 and from what we've seen of X/Y there's been no following, chances are the pre-installed code could reoccur and actually have purpose later on!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
With the move to 3D models I would absolutely love for it to return. Having fully rendered Pokémon following beside or behind you would be awesome to see. It'd be an awesome step forward, since I hated that they removed it after HGSS.

Years
I honestly hope they bring it back. Since they are creating complete and new models for the 3D battles, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a follow-me feature. But I would imagine there's already going to be OW Pokemon.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I always liked that feature and I certainly hope it makes an appearance. Even if not in X and Y, at least somewhere along the line, It'd be a nice show-up if they do happen to remake the Hoenn games. Also,

With the move to 3D models I would absolutely love for it to return.

Completely agree!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I personally think the follow me feature is one of the most overrated things in the history of the Pokémon franchise... But! If done right, I'm fine with it.

By done right, I mean YOU choose the Pokémon that follows you, and it can be ANYONE of the six you're currently carrying, not the first. Because, if you're having a mon follow you, it's because it's your favorite one. So, even if fainted, the mon I choose should be the one that follows me, and not necessarily the first one in the party.

I mean, in Yellow, Pikachu followed you regardless of position in the party, I'm sure they could do something similar in future games, too. You assign a Pokémon the role of "follower", and it follows you whenever it's in the party, and even if fainted.

Back