• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I the only one losing anticipation for gen 6?

Years
So hearing about Pokemon X and Y when it was first released, I was surprised I though it was going to be a Gen 3 remake so I was caught off guard and from looking at X and Y I thought "Hmm Pretty cool"
However as time and time goes by I was slowly losing interest and seeing trailers just left me off with a "meh" impression.
It wasn't until e3 happened and the trailer came on and wow did my interest just plop.
Now don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but my main concern was that they were showing off features which was to be expected or just came off as flat out unneeded. An example from the top of my head was the interaction with Pokemon feature to be able to speak to them and interact with them. Look I understand people may like that but that's just felt pointless and unneeded. One thing that did annoy me though was the addition of the fairy type? Why because we did not need a new type added at all, with Gen 2 it was fair enough because Psychic types were pretty overpowered in gen 1 and Dark and Steel did that well. With Fairy type, the point of it was to be super effective against dragon. This was not needed because Dragon was never that overpowered as usuually the stronger dragon types also had a secondary type which helped other types make it easier to take them down. Another thing Marill is my main when it comes to water type and now I have to put up with a secondary type which is good against dragon? I could Ice Punch and that would sort the problem out and not only that Marill has more weaknesses. ugggh
Look I dont wanna dislike the game, I want it to succeed because it has great potential but these additions are annoying me to the point where its making me wanna skip first day release. If you think it looks great all the power to you but I just wanted to share my piece of mind and to know if my points seem valid.
P.S I know I Posted this on gen 6 forum but I realized that's for more discussion and theories so it will be better to post it here

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
You'll be sucked back in once they have a full release in a few months. You should give the new games a chance if you're looking to play them. I have missed out on alot of the games the past decade or so but I like the 3D aspect.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
It's most probably that they'll do a remake of gen III after the main games come out (Begins to imagine a remake of the remake of gen I in 3d when Gen VII comes out...)

As for losing interest, I kind of agree that some additions like the fairy thing you mentioned are unnecessary, but the expectations on the new pokémon always keep my interest running. Always love to wonder what kind of new pokémons are coming up... Just hope there's no weird things like the ice cream pokémon this time... like a lollipop pokémon...

Years
You know what part of me as well says they should of used the 3d model to make the Gen III remake first to give an example of what the 3d models can do to the hoenn region, I dunno it just feels like as Black and white 2 has just come out it felt a bit forced at first, but here's to hoping Gen 6 will rock

Years
I agree with you about the features that at catered to little kids are a little too much. As for your Marill, you just have to deal with it cause it's not gonna change. It might even make it better in the long run. Anyways I too will not be getting Pokemon X & Y because I do not have the money for a 3DS at the moment. I would get it if I had one, but I'm not going to buy a 3DS just to play pokemon.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
At the risk of sounding like the raging reject, I wasn't too enthusiastic of the release even of Gen 5. When the designer of Pokemon was trying to go for this "Sharper" and "Cooler" look to attract an older audience, a lot of the magic of Pokemon seemed to slip away. Sure, Pokemon had went through many changes in each generation -- the first was charming, the second even more so, the third a little more slick, and the fourth an intermediate of the three -- but they all, at least, still had a certain resemblance to each other.

Then the fifth generation came around. There were these rather unimaginative creatures born out of candles and ice cream cones and who-knows-what. . . I kind of plummeted. I got the game. It had the feel of the classic games, which cheered me up. It had a story line that blew me away. Yet, every time I stared at a Pokemon, I couldn't believe that it was part of the game.

Now here comes the sixth. I don't really see a difference between the fifth one and this one. If anything, it might have gotten a little worse. Great job on making them 3D, great job on revamping everything. The game play is probably more interesting too, seeing how it's over-killing everything it possibly could. Even after all of this, I just hope that one day it will return with the grandeur of my childhood.

Well, see me as a reject or not, that's my opinion.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

At the risk of sounding like the raging reject, I wasn't too enthusiastic of the release even of Gen 5. When the designer of Pokemon was trying to go for this "Sharper" and "Cooler" look to attract an older audience, a lot of the magic of Pokemon seemed to slip away. Sure, Pokemon had went through many changes in each generation -- the first was charming, the second even more so, the third a little more slick, and the fourth an intermediate of the three -- but they all, at least, still had a certain resemblance to each other.

Then the fifth generation came around. There were these rather unimaginative creatures born out of candles and ice cream cones and who-knows-what. . . I kind of plummeted. I got the game. It had the feel of the classic games, which cheered me up. It had a story line that blew me away. Yet, every time I stared at a Pokemon, I couldn't believe that it was part of the game.

Now here comes the sixth. I don't really see a difference between the fifth one and this one. If anything, it might have gotten a little worse. Great job on making them 3D, great job on revamping everything. The game play is probably more interesting too, seeing how it's over-killing everything it possibly could. Even after all of this, I just hope that one day it will return with the grandeur of my childhood.

Well, see me as a reject or not, that's my opinion.
funny, I feel exactly the same way. I definitely didn't like Gen 4 and 5... and to an extent, even Gen 3. But at least a few of the new Gen 6 pokemon look more like something that would come out of a Gen 1/2 package. I still hate that there are fugly-looking pokemon in it tho (Xerneas and that leaf-type starter) and yet more unoriginal ideas (Shinx <-> Litleo).

I despise the new fairy-type idea too... so what's next, devils? Human-type? While I see that they'd want to add a new meta... I also see that it's soon going to hell.

So anyway, I'd expect no less from Gen 6. To be honest, I'd be glad if they just ended the Pokemon series and made a new one much more befitting of our current generation. A spiritual successor, that is.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
funny, I feel exactly the same way. I definitely didn't like Gen 4 and 5... and to an extent, even Gen 3. But at least a few of the new Gen 6 pokemon look more like something that would come out of a Gen 1/2 package. I still hate that there are fugly-looking pokemon in it tho (Xerneas and that leaf-type starter) and yet more unoriginal ideas (Shinx <-> Litleo).

I despise the new fairy-type idea too... so what's next, devils? Human-type? While I see that they'd want to add a new meta... I also see that it's soon going to hell.

So anyway, I'd expect no less from Gen 6. To be honest, I'd be glad if they just ended the Pokemon series and made a new one much more befitting of our current generation. A spiritual successor, that is.

I never really saw any Pokemon in the 6th Gen that resembled the older Pokemon. Then again, I can't even bring myself to actually catch up with the news since. . . Well, you know. What Pokemon would those be?

I laughed a little at the Devil/Human types comment -- now it's starting to sound like a bad Shin Megami Tensai spoof (If anybody really knows what that is). However, with all the money an d stuff Pokemon is getting, I doubt they will let it go for moral reasons. Really, all people in the industry of many classic childhood games and TV series just want money and more money, so Pokemon is going to stick to these newer designs until nobody likes them anymore and then they will switch to something else. As for the spiritual successor. . . What would you mean by that?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I never really saw any Pokemon in the 6th Gen that resembled the older Pokemon. Then again, I can't even bring myself to actually catch up with the news since. . . Well, you know. What Pokemon would those be?
I wouldn't really say "resemble", but more like "remind of". Take Helioptile, Flabebe (remove it's flower) and Pancham for example. Gen I and II had very little detail as compared to the newer gens, but those designs would've fit in even 10 years back just fine. Fletchling could've also made a good candidate, but it's evolved form (Talonflame) is just design overkill >_>

Point is, "simplicity is beauty"... used to be Pokemon's hidden motto. Dragonite was pretty darn awesome during that time, despite his goofy looks, So I think they're thinking too deeply of what the new pokemon would look like nowadays. Granted, to me that Noivern design looks pretty darn badass though...

I laughed a little at the Devil/Human types comment -- now it's starting to sound like a bad Shin Megami Tensai spoof (If anybody really knows what that is). However, with all the money an d stuff Pokemon is getting, I doubt they will let it go for moral reasons. Really, all people in the industry of many classic childhood games and TV series just want money and more money, so Pokemon is going to stick to these newer designs until nobody likes them anymore and then they will switch to something else. As for the spiritual successor. . . What would you mean by that?
With all these new designs, they could've started a whole new different franchise instead.. where they could've added fairy types there and not on the current series. Nintendo's smart, they can always think of a new concept for their new ideas. Having some elements from the old for a new, different game is what i exactly mean about having a spiritual successor. They can do crossovers if they wanted, anyway.

But then again, I think they're just trying too hard to keep it going. I'm pretty sure pokemon could still be as awesome as it is now if they didn't really mind the design on details. The story and addition of wonderful features such as joint avenue and battle frontier was more than enough.

Seriously, grab a wild duck, give it some leek.. voila, Farfetch'd. Grab a bug, cartoonize it: Pinsir. Get a mouse, paint it like a clown: Pikachu. Draw a worm, turn it into a giant bug-looking dinosaur, and you have a Dragonite. It used to be that simple, no? Like i've mentioned before, some are not even original anymore (e.g Zorua-Fennekin).
Spoiler:

The evolutions may have stepped up their game (showing actual difference from prior forms), but the originality of some are very unsatisfying.

Truthfully, there are so many other animals left un-copied (waiting for the squid and flamingo) and while i do acknowledge that there could be same-species stuff... at least make it as differentiable as Ariados and Galvantula. Fur, no fur. Easy peesy. They used to be more creative than this. Ofttimes, I even acknowledge those fakemon artists more than Ken Sugimori's latest ones for originality. (please don't hate me Ken, i love Zekrom too! High-five!)

...and lol SMT didn't pop up into my head. Was thinking more into the Monster Rancher/Digimon side.

Dragging it (desperately) back to topic, while there's not much to anticipate in pokemon designs (I want more cute/awesome bugs, if they don't mind)... there's still that new story, new stuff, new places to explore, and most importantly, new moves to see in battles. (Even without new pokemon) That would be enough to keep me going.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2014
I actually think interacting with Pokémon would be great! But.... Fairy type is unnecessary. I think they're starting to ruin Pokémon. They're trying to make so many improvements, and Pokémon is already amazing. I think they should just leave it alone. It's not that I'm any less of a fan, or that I'm starting to dislike Pokémon, it's just they should keep it like the original seasons. Also, why the hell did they take Brock out?! Don't get the wrong idea, I still LOVE Pokémon, just not the "improvements" they're making...

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years

I think there's definitely merit to this thread, but as I think about the reaction to the new games more and more, I think it's less to do with the changes the game is making now, but the changes it's made over time, and how people react to said changes. Personally with every major change I'm a bit annoyed, and the new type is a great example of this. I'm fine with the type chart, and all the suggested new types seemed a bit superfluous. However, I'm interested to see how the Fairy type affects the metagame and it seems to have led to some interesting designs already. Take the Fairy thing that stands on flowers, for example. Grass/Psychic would have been its old type, and I would have thought that a bit off. As such, I see the introduction of a new type as simply a way to broaden the potential for new Pokémon designs, which I personally am fine with.

In any case, without trying to offend anyone, I'm inclined to believe that the people who complain are simply those who do not like change, or rather want the games to remain as similar to what they had in their childhood as possible. The reason for this to me is that Pokémon is not only a fun game, but a nostalgia train. The "newer" the game looks, the less it reminds one of their childhood, and that makes the new games less enjoyable for many (including me, to an extent). My point is that I don't believe the game is changing, objectively (or anywhere near objectively), for the worse, and I think people would do better to look at their mindset with the game before judging the game itself. Again, not a criticism - being nostalgic or simply not liking change is fine by me, but the game shouldn't cater solely to people who want Pokémon to remind them of when they were seven years of age. I think it's worth asking yourself if, were you a child again, you would prefer to play Generation I or Generation VI. I personally would choose the latter in a heartbeat, and I think most others (not to mention the children of today) would.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Personally, I think it's a mixture of nostalgia as François said and the fact that some of the changes being made are just, in my view, inherently bad. Pokémon like Vanillish and Trubbish being added, alongside the entirely unrealistic 'Pokéwood Studios' and the horrid Unova world map have certainly given the newer generations a pinch of salt, but I certainly would say there have been far more positive changes. I guess it's a case of in the later games there's simply more content so more of it is bound to be badly received, whereas the old games were simple yet still just as fun.

I think the nostalgia point is a very strong one, however. You can tell just by the rivalry of reception of the DPPt games and the HGSS games that HGSS was preferred vastly which I personally put down to a case of nostalgia, however there were many changes within (Pokémon followers <333) that hint otherwise so we'd have to look more in depth haha. I think nostalgia always will be a big factor in determining the reception to new games (which doesn't bode well for Gen VI's new take on game play), but I don't think it's a closed case either.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
In any case, without trying to offend anyone, I'm inclined to believe that the people who complain are simply those who do not like change, or rather want the games to remain as similar to what they had in their childhood as possible. The reason for this to me is that Pokémon is not only a fun game, but a nostalgia train. The "newer" the game looks, the less it reminds one of their childhood, and that makes the new games less enjoyable for many (including me, to an extent). My point is that I don't believe the game is changing, objectively (or anywhere near objectively), for the worse, and I think people would do better to look at their mindset with the game before judging the game itself. Again, not a criticism - being nostalgic or simply not liking change is fine by me, but the game shouldn't cater solely to people who want Pokémon to remind them of when they were seven years of age. I think it's worth asking yourself if, were you a child again, you would prefer to play Generation I or Generation VI. I personally would choose the latter in a heartbeat, and I think most others (not to mention the children of today) would.

I don't believe that is the issue, at least in MY case. I believe that these changes are rather unnecessary and are kind of dividing Pokemon as a whole. Is there really a reason behind changing the look behind Pokemon? Whichever designer decided that changing the Pokemon into "Sharper" and "Cooler" images wanted to draw older audiences, but does that mean that they are really Pokemon, or only derivatives based off of the concept?

Is there really a reason to introduce a new type into Pokemon? Yes, to counter Dragon-types, say many others. But wait, isn't Dragon-type already susceptible to two of the most powerful forces in the game? Aren't all the Dragon-types merged with other types? Is it truly necessary to bring in a new type when things worked out fine for the past 5 generations?

I'm not too choosy, either. The 4th Gen is my favorite generation (Sorry, Molivious, no hard feelings :)). It isn't exactly part of my childhood, but I enjoy the basic look and feel to the game and Pokemon. The third generation switched a few things up, but they still resembled Pokemon. What can we say about the 5th one? The 6th one? Can you honestly put Patrat next to Sentret and say, "Hey, those two look like monsters from the same game." I'm not afraid of change. I like change, it makes things more interesting. But when you change a thing into something completely different. . . What do you think of it after?

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I lost complete intrest for Gen 5. Didn't like a single thing about it besides the fancy graphics. Gen 6 is a whole new story though. I actually like the new pokemon designs, I'm excited for the new fairy type (Cause seriously dragon types did need to be pushed down a few steps), the region map actually looks intresting, lots of greenery. I haven't been excited for a pokemon game for a long time.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

François[/B]; 7715210]I think it's worth asking yourself if, were you a child again, you would prefer to play Generation I or Generation VI. I personally would choose the latter in a heartbeat, and I think most others (not to mention the children of today) would.
Problem is, that's not really the point. The games are actually still great; the story, the new features and all. People actually STILL love the game, generally. It's great for all ages -- and it kept that feel for 15 long years.

So, it's not exactly about "stick to the old stuff" rants, but rather "what the hell is that" or "is this still pokemon?". omgwtfbbq

While change is something interesting to see every now and then... not all changes could always be good. For some, even unnecessary. And some, even both. Take the Fairy type for instance. Just think about it, is it really necessary? They're stretching something best left untouched. Steel and Dark types were awesome changes when they came out... they made psychic (which were really a pain in the ass to deal with) and ghost types lesser of a threat, in addition to Bug and Rock types being a bit more viable for competitive battling... but i don't think i could say the same for Fairy. It's like a Joker card they plan to include in the currently complete deck.

What's worse, having a "fairy" type really threatens the metagame for more ridiculous typing in the future (like the Demon/Human types I've mentioned earlier). Not trying to make a joke out of it, but seriously, if pokemon goes that far... blarhgahrweah!? *explodes*

About the pokemon, then again, originality is my only issue. I've seen this pokemon already, why should i see it again, with only a change of palettes and a few lines drawn, in the next game? It's very tiresome to see. What's worse, they think that it's awesome to have included pokemon based on objects. It's simply ridiculous. Voltorb was ridiculous enough, but Ice cream, Garbage, Gears, House Appliances, and even a NOSE? Gods of all heavens and hells, I'll soon be having nightmares of butt creatures with eyes and teeth hiding under rocks.

So yeah, there's the originality, pokemon/region-appearance, and the new-features that I really check. Story is always interesting. I'll give that to Nintendo. Call us nitpicky, but everything here is undeniable.

The 4th Gen is my favorite generation (Sorry, Molivious, no hard feelings :)). It isn't exactly part of my childhood, but I enjoy the basic look and feel to the game and Pokemon.
Lol. I understand. A few things I know the 4th gen has offered greatly were the physical/special split, and my beloved Glaceon and Vespiquen. The story was much better than Gen III's too, imo... but yeah.

The thing is, I consider HG/SS as still GEN 2 (same as FR/LG being G1). But if i counted them as Gen 4, then Gen 4's probably my fave, followed by Gen 1.. Gen 3 really just offered the battle frontier to me, which was FUN.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
So hearing about Pokemon X and Y when it was first released, I was surprised I though it was going to be a Gen 3 remake so I was caught off guard and from looking at X and Y I thought "Hmm Pretty cool"
However as time and time goes by I was slowly losing interest and seeing trailers just left me off with a "meh" impression.
It wasn't until e3 happened and the trailer came on and wow did my interest just plop.
Now don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but my main concern was that they were showing off features which was to be expected or just came off as flat out unneeded. An example from the top of my head was the interaction with Pokemon feature to be able to speak to them and interact with them. Look I understand people may like that but that's just felt pointless and unneeded. One thing that did annoy me though was the addition of the fairy type? Why because we did not need a new type added at all, with Gen 2 it was fair enough because Psychic types were pretty overpowered in gen 1 and Dark and Steel did that well. With Fairy type, the point of it was to be super effective against dragon. This was not needed because Dragon was never that overpowered as usuually the stronger dragon types also had a secondary type which helped other types make it easier to take them down. Another thing Marill is my main when it comes to water type and now I have to put up with a secondary type which is good against dragon? I could Ice Punch and that would sort the problem out and not only that Marill has more weaknesses. ugggh
Look I dont wanna dislike the game, I want it to succeed because it has great potential but these additions are annoying me to the point where its making me wanna skip first day release. If you think it looks great all the power to you but I just wanted to share my piece of mind and to know if my points seem valid.
P.S I know I Posted this on gen 6 forum but I realized that's for more discussion and theories so it will be better to post it here

I lost interest when i saw the starters the only decent one was the fire type and even then it looks like a rip of a zorua mixed with a victini, so from that i can pretty much tell most of the pokemon will be lazily designed and or repeated designs. in my opinion they probably should've made X and Y into an mmo that includes atleast 3 other regions.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Pokemon Amie was by far the most exciting news I've heard regarding pokemon since Johto. Never had I squealed in delight so much. It's not really catered so much for the little kids, as it is catered to those who like to imagine their pokemon as pets.

As for dragons not being overpowered... Look at competitive. How the ubers and OU tiers are filled to the brim with dragons. Yes, they are overpowered.

As for your Azumarill having more "weaknesses"... How do you know that the Water/Fairy typing won't be more beneficial than pure water? Fairies will either resist/immune to dragon, and now you'll have a STAB move stronger than Ice Punch. Azumarill isn't exactly a high-tiered pokemon, so I think this will do more help than hurt.

I've never been as hyped for a generation as much as Gen 6.

Years
Pokemon Amie was by far the most exciting news I've heard regarding pokemon since Johto. Never had I squealed in delight so much. It's not really catered so much for the little kids, as it is catered to those who like to imagine their pokemon as pets.

As for dragons not being overpowered... Look at competitive. How the ubers and OU tiers are filled to the brim with dragons. Yes, they are overpowered.

As for your Azumarill having more "weaknesses"... How do you know that the Water/Fairy typing won't be more beneficial than pure water? Fairies will either resist/immune to dragon, and now you'll have a STAB move stronger than Ice Punch. Azumarill isn't exactly a high-tiered pokemon, so I think this will do more help than hurt.

I've never been as hyped for a generation as much as Gen 6.

most dragon types are Ubers/OU because the majority of them are legendary pokemon and have major stat advantages. Yes pure dragon types resist many types, but dragon moves are only super effective against other dragons; plus they take longer to evolve. I think Gamefreak did a good job balancing the Dragon-type, lets just hope they don't over-do it with the Fairy types.

Back