• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Voice acting and cutscenes?

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
Do you think BW2 will have voice acting/ cutscenes? Do you want BW2 to have voice acting/ cutscenes?

Personal opinion voice acting
I'd really like it. For the important scenes I think it's a must: however, for the regular trainer battle I think it isn't necessery: however, it'd be more realistic that way.

Personal opinion cutscenes
We already saw some cutscenes in BW, and almost all of the other pokemong games. However, it was only at the legendary battle. I would love to see some combined with voice acting, for example, when you met Alder in BW, at the camping spot like thing, it would have been great. Things like that would be perfect for cutscenes in my opinion.

What's yours? Speculate!

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
I don't think we'll see voice acting in BW2, although I've always wanted it. It would add a whole new dimension of personality to characters and make the game more realistic. Battles aren't fought over text messages in the anime, are they? :P I think we will see more cutscenes in BW2 though, there were a lot more in BW and they made the storyline much more exciting. I'm excited to see all of the new additions in BW2 :)

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
God! I wish I could see voice acting and cut scenes, but it's very, very unlikely (well, it's impossible) I hope we'll get back the sneak-a-peak at the location from FRLG and HGSS.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
We won't get it, and personally; I wouldn't want it because I always play it in areas where there are people lol. ); But if they did voice acting etc it would probably increase their sales of the games.

Years
Nope. I think there will be too much audio files to fit in for the speech.
I prefer not having audio speech because I can use my imagination, some what.

As for the cutscenes, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them; they are nice to behold.​

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
I would like cutscenes with VA but in the other parts where its just the people talking no VA. kinda like what most games do. Don't see how people can say it can't handle audio files when load of DS games have.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
Imo it would be weird to have most dialogues written and only some voiced in cutscenes. Also, I think having not voice acting is part of Pokemon main games' style, the same like having no dialogues said by protagonist.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Do you think BW2 will have voice acting/ cutscenes? Do you want BW2 to have voice acting/ cutscenes?

Personal opinion voice acting
I'd really like it. For the important scenes I think it's a must: however, for the regular trainer battle I think it isn't necessery: however, it'd be more realistic that way.

Personal opinion cutscenes
We already saw some cutscenes in BW, and almost all of the other pokemong games. However, it was only at the legendary battle. I would love to see some combined with voice acting, for example, when you met Alder in BW, at the camping spot like thing, it would have been great. Things like that would be perfect for cutscenes in my opinion.

What's yours? Speculate!

Personally, there are several other features that I'd like in the games before I would consider adding in voice acting. The current text-based speech is fine with me. Maybe a roar by Kyurem during important encounters would suffice, but that's all I would expect... Moreover, the "silent protagonist" aspect of the main character that seems to be employed would get a bit weirder if everyone but the main character speaks (if I recall correctly, other games have managed to accomplish voice acting while still maintaining a mute protagonist, but I personally think it would be weird for the Pokemon series).

From clips I've seen of what appear to be cutscenes in BW, the visuals did seem like they called for voice acting, and I expect B2W2 will have similar visuals that seem fitting for voice acting.

I wish I could see voice acting and cut scenes, but it's very, very unlikely (well, it's impossible) I hope we'll get back the sneak-a-peak at the location from FRLG and HGSS.

This, although I'd prefer just the "entering new location" eyecatch/cutscene itself without any voices. Alternatively, a Pokedex-ish sounding voice could say things like "Unova Route 1" as the player enters another route.

Nope. I think there will be too much audio files to fit in for the speech.
I prefer not having audio speech because I can use my imagination, some what.

As for the cutscenes, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them; they are nice to behold.

I would like cutscenes with VA but in the other parts where its just the people talking no VA. kinda like what most games do. Don't see how people can say it can't handle audio files when load of DS games have.

I'm not too sure about how much space the data of BW and B2W2 take up on DS cartridges, but with other DS games managing to preserve amazing visuals while still including voice acting, I think it would be possible for voice acting to be included in B2W2 on the DS (especially since several Pokemon cries are identical to each other, just with different pitches and effects and such, which I would think helps to save data space).

However, the 3DS and the Wii/Wii U appear to be much better suited for such a task, so I'm guessing Game Freak (and Genius Sonority?) would wait a little while to attempt the inclusion of voice acting on games of those more-capable platforms.

Imo it would be weird to have most dialogues written and only some voiced in cutscenes. Also, I think having not voice acting is part of Pokemon main games' style, the same like having no dialogues said by protagonist.

And this. I think Pokemon cries and brief "cutscene roars" are the closest that the handheld Pokemon main series games will get to voice acting for a while, which is fine with me.

As for cutscenes, we'll probably have the "legendary Pokemon cutscenes" that we've had in the past whenever the player is about to meet and/or battle a legendary Pokemon in the games. It would be nice if cutscenes get embellished at important points in the games, though (i.e., when the player witnesses the Weather Trio battle from Emerald Version).

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I dont see Voice Acting ever being part of Pokemon, it might be cool but thats not what the game is about really. Its more about the Pokemon than the people tbh. I can see maybe more cutscenes and I enjoyed the ones in B/W, but thats about it. One of the best things about B/W were those cutscenes, I definately wouldnt mind seeing a few more in B2/W2.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
It'd be cool as heck if they actually had voices in the games, but I like the voices I create even better. I couldn't see it ever happening due to many technological reasons, but it'd still be cool.
I'd like to see cutscenes. The ones they had in Black and White were cute, but I want more, interesting cutscenes!

Ghiaccio

Ace Trainer
Years
I would definitely love to see voice acting in the series, but I don't think it will be coming in black and white 2, and probably not for a while. It's not a game like legend of zelda or something, where if they voice acted the characters, since there are a lot of recurring characters throughout the series, people have put there own voices to the characters, and voice acting could potentially ruin the series for many. the Pokemon series always has new characters within each generation, although there are a few repeats (like Cynthia, Looker, Professor Oak). Cutscenes already techincally exist, but better quality ones (like maybe on Gen 6 since we're still using the DS for B2W2) would be nice, maybe anime style or real 3D rather than the pixelated pseudo-3D. These would definitely be welcome additions imo to the series however.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
God! I wish I could see voice acting and cut scenes, but it's very, very unlikely (well, it's impossible) I hope we'll get back the sneak-a-peak at the location from FRLG and HGSS.

Just like gonz0 said it would be highly unlikely ( just imagine the many audio files for gym leaders/the elites/ and some main characters)
Me personally i would love for OTHER people to speak but not the silent protagonist i LOVE yelling out obscenities at the many dumb players

Professor oak- i cant happen to remember your name what was it again

Me- my names *****

The professor- *****!! Well thats a fine name

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While I think that voice acting would be a neat implication to B2/W2, I doubt it will be in there because as Fabio pointed out, the audio files may be too big to fit in the limited space for the game. If the voice acting were to be done, I think it would be reserved only for the very important scenes.

As for the cutscenes, I wouldn't mind having them because the cutscenes in the original B/W were absolutely brilliant.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I would enjoy a Pokedex voice thing, because I have a weird thing about computerized voice thingys, but I can't see any other thing included. Like everything else cool it will probably be implemented on 6th Gen.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'd like to see cutscenes but voice acting can stay away, I'd never go to a Pokemon Center again if I had to hear the VA for the Nurse time after time after time again but that's just me.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
I'd like to see cutscenes but voice acting can stay away, I'd never go to a Pokemon Center again if I had to hear the VA for the Nurse time after time after time again but that's just me.

That would be annoying having to hear her im assuming high pitched voice saying over and over again "Welcome to the PokéCenter! How may i help you"
Thats why i think, if they do it, VA should be only used by MAIN characters

I also want to know if they ever do everybodies voice how many voice actors and audio files will be in that ONE game

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I actually hope that Pokemon stay away from voice acting, and that's coming from someone who wants to be a voice actor!

The Legend of Zelda doesn't use voice acting either, only for reactions and whatnot, and it is still a great series of games. Pokemon doesn't need voice acting in my opinion, and it allows us to use our imaginations a bit. I'd rather read all the dialogue and know what I need to know than potentially miss it because I wasn't paying attention to the voiceover.

Plus, any available space they could've used for voices allows them to provide us with better usable features in-game. Voice acting isn't necessary for Pokemon since it's never had it to begin with. They've had plenty of chances to use it. (Probably in Colosseum and XD, and I bet B/W could have handled it.) but they chose not to, and I think it actually makes the games better to not have voices.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
I wouldn't like voice acting at all, for cut scenes though I wouldn't mind having a few more, I found the ones in B/W to be entertaining.

Back