• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not allowed to worship God in schools in America?

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
Ok. Annoyed by this post. Completely. 1. ITS NOT ILLEGAL TO WORSHIP IN AMERICAN SCHOOLS ONLY TO FORCE WORSHIP!
2. If anyone told me I couldn't bring a bible to school I'd ask them if they need gas money so they can go get f'ed.
My opinions are unbiased btw as I am an atheist.

I obey the law when I believe its right. But I won't hesitate to SMASH the law when I think what Im doing is the greater good over the supremacy of our "judicial system."

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This is perfectly reasonable. It gives everyone a chance to believe what they want without stepping on the toes of anyone else. I can't see how anyone would be upset with this unless they were trying to impose their beliefs on someone else.
I don't think purposely trying to impose one's beliefs on another is the only explanation.

I think an element here may simply be tradition or habit. They've "always" had a prayer before the game, no one's complained (as far as I'm aware), and so those who are upset are probably thinking "what's their problem"? It's a nicety that the community may have come to expect that was taken away

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Toujours summed it up, but going to second, triple, whatever.

It's illegal to force prayer; ie lead a stadium, or even a teacher to lead a class. It is true though that many schools no longer say the pledge before school. Mine stopped around the time I was in fifth grade (I remember because the 9/11 attacks happened that year.)

BUT a student can bring a Bible or any religious text to school. In fact, teachers can teach the bible as a form of literature, as long as it's not preaching.

This is only in public schools.

If you really want students/your kids to have prayer/religion actively in their school life then you can send them to private school. I went to private school since I was 5, we prayed every morning, before and after lunch, and we went to a school Mass once a week,. plus any religous holidays. (We even had a Cardinal visit the school once.) We even had organized Confessions once a month. When I was in my private high school we prayed before every class.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
What's the pledge people have brought up a few times? Not being an American, all I could reason is the Pledge of Allegiance. But... why would schools stop that? That seems kind of important o.o

Phantom1

Years
What's the pledge people have brought up a few times? Not being an American, all I could reason is the Pledge of Allegiance. But... why would schools stop that? That seems kind of important o.o

That'd be the Pledge of Allegiance.

Which is, if you don't know it...

We pledge allegiance, to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the republic, for which it stands
One nation under God, indivisable
With liberty and justice for all.

It's a few things that make people having objections to saying it. Here.

By the way, the 'under God' line wasn't added until 1954.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
That'd be the Pledge of Allegiance.

Which is, if you don't know it...

We pledge allegiance, to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the republic, for which it stands
One nation under God, indivisable
With liberty and justice for all.

It's a few things that make people having objections to saying it. Here.

By the way, the 'under God' line wasn't added until 1954.
Yes, I know when it was added. The Pledge itself isn't that old either.

But... it does say "In God we Trust" on your money (at around roughly the same time the Pledge was changed too). Are people suddenly opposed to use physical currency? Not having the Pledge just strikes me as odd. Kind of like if you didn't have the national anthem. It seems sort of important.

Personally, wouldn't have a problem with them changing either of them though. The "under God" part seems really out of place. And I prefer "E pluribus unum" over "In God we Trust". But, that's how they are right now and I think they should be presented as such.

Phantom1

Years
Yes, I know when it was added. The Pledge itself isn't that old either.

But... it does say "In God we Trust" on your money (at around roughly the same time the Pledge was changed too). Are people suddenly opposed to use physical currency? Not having the Pledge just strikes me as odd. Kind of like if you didn't have the national anthem. It seems sort of important.

It was only added during WWII.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm not really sure (because Government class was two years ago now) but I'm pretty sure the thing about the pledge wasn't religious- it was more that people shouldn't have to swear allegiance to the USA if they don't want to. Or salute the flag or something.

Oh here it is actually- West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette.
Basically what that says is public schools may not require students to salute the flag, stand for or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. All of the schools I've been to have done the Pledge, though- every day in elementary and middle school (where everybody recited it due to not feeling like they had a choice) and every Tuesday in high school (where nobody recited it because they couldn't be bothered).

But yeah on the main topic- it's completely legal to worship however you chose in public schools. If you have to leave class once in a while to pray, fine. Teachers can't stop you and can't punish you. If you want to pray before a test, fine. Just don't force others to. If you want to read a religious text in class, fine. Just don't do it while you've got work to be doing. I spent many years in multicultural public schools and observed all manner of religious practices being done quietly. No staff member in a public school is legally obliged or allowed to stop you as long as you are not imposing your beliefs on others.

Last edited:

Z_Z

Zzz
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2012
To those of you who live in America or don't live in America I want to get your opinions on this topic. In America it is now against Federal Law to pray in school. Football Teams for school used to be able to say a prayer before the game but now if they do it they're violating federal rules. Do you guy's think this is corrupt or do you agree with it? I honestly think it's a bunch of BS because America is suppose to be a free country but you can't pray in school? It's illegal to take a bible to school here in America, it's illegal to read a bible at school her in America, and most schools no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance no more because of this. So what do you guy's think? Agree or Disagree? In America your suppose to have the freedom or religion not freedom against religion.

I don't live in America, but I am pretty sure that none of this is true. There is no laws against bibles or praying.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
i'm happy i go to catholic school yes its corrupt but isn't our government always the atheist argument doesn't really apply because i remember in middle school i was nervous for a test so i do what every person who needs a miracle does pray... and got two detentions atheist are a small minor compared to religious people most of them are good then their are ... others

i think its ridiculous seperation of state and church why should the state say we can't pray what the big deal of letting students pray foras long we are not forcing them to pray if i was atheist id be happy while students pray i do homework

droomph

weeb
Years
The freedom of religion means not to have no religion. It means an ignorance yet tolerance to other's religions.

Unless your 'praying' means something like screaming at the top of your lungs, I don't have a problem with it.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Freedom of religion is necessary. So is separation of church and state, but if you don't specify any religion, why is praying a big deal? If you want to pray, then pray. If you don't want to, then don't. That's all there is to it.

Years
the atheist argument doesn't really apply because i remember in middle school i was nervous for a test so i do what every person who needs a miracle does pray... and got two detentions
Did you really get detentions for praying? Perhaps it was for talking in class or something else that would have been disruptive, but I have a hard time believing it was strictly because you were praying.

i think its ridiculous seperation of state and church why should the state say we can't pray what the big deal of letting students pray foras long we are not forcing them to pray if i was atheist id be happy while students pray i do homework
But states don't say you can't pray. Pray all you like. They only say you can't use school property, etc. to promote a religion like what would happen if a school let students lead a prayer rally in the gymnasium during school or something like that.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
I don't know how difficult this is to answer, guys. I live in Canada and I know that:

Religious activity is ONLY illegal within the schooling system when the teachers or board set a specific religious activity into a public setting (Example, the teacher having the students read the bible during an english, social studies, art class, or having everyone "Draw Down the Moon" before class begins)

Religious activity is okay, when it is not being forced upon/is optional, and does not disrupt the learning environment. A student may pray quietly before a test, but they may not say their prayer aloud (Thus disrupting others).

At my Catholic School, you are able to fill in a form every year where you have the option to state your religious path. If it is not Catholic, they allow you to not participate in Catholic Mass every month, and instead go to the Commons for a similiar, more religion-to-religion mass (Paganism, Buddhism, ect). This is a public school, and with this setup, they are abidding by the laws of Canada.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
A public Catholic school? That's a thing? Here in the US all public schools are secular and some private schools are religious. o_o;

Rogriquez, your situation had nothing to do with the law and what's illegal. It's not illegal to carry a gun with a permit, but it's against school rules to have a gun there. Bring it up with your school, don't blame the government for an unfair punishment.

Also you need to read up on your religion if you think praying for a good grade on a test works.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Yes. In Canada, that is a thing. We have public religious schools, unlike US.

Second, I would watch yourself on your final statement. Under my beliefs, a "Spellwork" or magick, can help inhance your memory and performance within the test. Something like Christian Prayer may also work, as they will be asking that their memory is vivid and they can get the test done to their proper abilities. Obviously, this wouldn't work if they didn't have a memory (they didn't study) of the subject at hand.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
He is Catholic. He already stated that. I didn't ask him to investigate your religion, I asked him to investigate his religion. From what I was taught as a 4 year Catholic school student as well as a year in RCIA and currently in a Catholic college, in Catholicism, prayers such as these (praying for a grade, praying for a parking spot, etc.) are trivial and are borderline on using God's name in vain. If you want a good grade, work hard.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
A public Catholic school? That's a thing? Here in the US all public schools are secular and some private schools are religious. o_o;
Yup. We have a public school system and a publicly-funded Catholic school system. They're known as separate schools.

Curriculum is the same except that in the Catholic schools you have mass associated with Christmas and Easter, there is a religion class (basically, you read Chicken Soup for the Soul-type material and write about how God loves you), your sacraments (Communion and Confirmation) is incorporated into the religion class at the appropriate grade and you accept them as a class.

Religion class in high school gets expanded to dedicated philosophy (I don't remember Catholicism being involved there at all) and world religion (you get to learn about other religions) classes.

We have the same science class as the actual public school. Big bang. Evolution. Whatever. All okay.

You also don't have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school.

We're also facing some "controversial" issues like allowing Muslims to leave class to pray or use school facilities after school, or having "gay clubs".

Further, the Church does not really have a say in the education at the school.

Where this all stems from is Canada's French-English heritage. Some areas have public Catholic (appeases the French) schools and other areas have public Protestant (appeases the English) schools. Supposedly to accommodate whatever the minority faith between the two were in that area at the time. Catholic is the majority now nearly everywhere between the two and there are very few Protestant schools.

Back