• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Kaizo

How Kaizo was this?

• Truly Kaizo

Votes: 1,168 71.9%
  • Fairly Challenging

Votes: 264 16.3%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 133 8.2%
  • Needs more Kaizo map edits

Votes: 66 4.1%
  • Unfair

Votes: 175 10.8%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Pok�mon Emerald Kaizo
3eIzEKA.png

Day and Night Only.
Romhacking dot net location. Now with Update Version 2.0.
Emerald Kaizo Link:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4291/

Day and Night Link:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4291/

Introduction

Here it is, the super hard mode of Pokemon Emerald, inspired by Firered Omega and Pokemon Stadium, with extra features such as legendary pokemon events and some postgame content. All 386 Pokemon can be caught in this version, but in order to get access to all of them, you will have to beat the game, and this one pulls out all the stops. How hard is it? People say nuzlocking and high level gaps is hard; this one is completely unforgiving to misclicks, misplays, and other mistakes, and there is enough enemy variety to be overwhelming to casual play of Emerald Kaizo. This game also gets progressively more difficult as the game goes along, as opposed to the hardest point in the game being the earlygame in the majority of hacks and all pokemon games.
Also, nuzlocking the elite four in Emerald Kaizo may be impossible unless you have explicit knowledge of the elite four roster, and great luck in acquiring specific pokemon to counter 5 powerful teams, and remember, you can't use anything but held items in battles.
This is a very imposing super hard mode hack, but as I have playtested, it is not impossible to beat, and I even tested to see if the Pokemon League can be nuzlocked, the most critically difficult point to nuzlocke, and it is possible, but I advise to actually practice with the game before attempting to nuzlocke it, because I won't release the details on how I no-deathed the Pokemon League. Don't let that aspect fool you though, the Pokemon League is genuinely difficult to get past without dying, as it took me several tries to find a reliable no death pattern.

Features
You cannot use revives, or any other item during battle. Fortunately, the enemies will not use them either. You can only use held items in battle.
MpbAMAs.png
ePRXUdZ.png
byOmxZS.png
GTBfkkD.png
pa2psdD.png
hya8Aco.png
uVQolk6.png
8FfmXKc.png
J6i91Vn.png
cjpZbv7.png

Many fights are made exponentially difficult compared to the original version. Just to preface, it is not merely higher levels, they have movesets that increase in quality as the game goes on, and bosses typically have coverage, some degree of synergy, higher quality pokemon, and strategies.
There are even some avoidable double battle traps, but you may be forced to double battle sometimes.
Especially in the seventh gym.
zdQk1m1.png
f3ncBjD.png

Be particularly cautious with gym trainers, villain teams, and victory road trainers.
q2vMljC.png
j75C9b9.png
J1DbMU4.png
hxX3Od9.png

Gym leaders have six pokemon of higher quality than most NPCs. Some do perform additional strategies or follow certain themes.
fL1duJq.png
MJJpEeQ.png
wsqQEIz.png

You can catch 386 pokemon, including Kanto and Johto Pokemon, as well as certain late game Hoenn Pokemon a bit earlier, but there are some pokemon that are exclusively lategame, or even postgame. Postgame pokemon can be traded for Legendary Birds.
JChyffL.png
4mvqnUx.png

TgwMfVQ.png
GoCVVLr.png
KIUltdR.png
K5cFbpm.png

Movepools have been altered for the majority of 350 pokemon. I will have up a list organized later on.
You cannot harvest berries until Postgame, so be cautious when using them.
Gym leader rematches have been edited so that you fight them at their toughest immediately with the first 2 rounds, with all subsequent battles being round 2.
There are event tickets in forgotten optional areas, which will enable you to reach destinations to catch event legendary pokemon.
In addition, there are additional legendaries hidden in areas you normally never visit, or hidden in places you have visited, but they are inaccessible until postgame.
rFID1L0.png

There are minimal map changes compared to my older hacks, but some areas do have significant obstacles, particularly the postgame Trick House, which is essential to reach Rayquaza.
2uiv6nc.png
JChyffL.png

There are also some other changes with the game that I can only leave as a surprise.
Evolution stones can be bought at Fallarbor town. Slowking and Huntail evolve by water stone, and Umbreon and Espeon evolve by Moon Stone and Sun Stone respectively.
FgeUxQl.png

Additional grass is available in most cities in case you are nuzlocking. All of them are in out of the way locations.
OvZo1RL.png
7R1y65w.png

4ykE8t2.png

You can get the other Hoenn starters in Evergrande city.
FjUBwn0.png
MGO7SXA.png

There is no Physical Special split, nor is there fairy types. This is gen 3 mod, with some additional moves from later gens for additional coverage for weaker pokemon, as well as base stat changes for certain underwhelming Pokemon, mostly from newer gens, but also some gimmicky pokemon.
There are some modified moves, such as Overheat, Superpower, and Sky Attack being recoil moves, and a few pokemon have some base stat changes and ability changes.
There are additional postgame bosses as well.
Pending docs on evolution levels, abilities, and some base stat changes, but Wailord, Glalie, Sableye, and Castform are the only ones with radical changes. Spinda has base 80s instead of 60s. Dewgong, Hypno, and Ninetails have increased special attacks.

How to apply ips and update:

Spoiler:

Level Curve
Now unlike most hard mode hacks, there is no need for excessive grinding in Emerald Kaizo; I did not have to grind at all on wild Pokemon during my playtests, and only used the lucky egg after getting surf. I have a level curve list to show the levels of bosses. And there is no point to grinding just for evs either, you will not get evs in this game. If you do grind several levels higher than bosses, just be warned that the Elite Four will come as a very nasty shock to you when you no longer have a significant level advantage.
Note that you will have access to very cheap rare candies to purchase right before the Elite Four.
Ge8RLim.png

Here is the level curve average.
Spoiler:

Boss Fights (Spoilers)
Spoiler:

POST GAME GUIDE
Here is a link to the playlist:

The rest of the Video.
Spoiler:

TRICK HOUSE GUIDE:
Spoiler:

Notes:
Currently posting a Pokemon Movepool List in the Attachments.
A potential softlock area in the route near altering cave is fixed. Version 2.0
The new Legendary Pokemon no longer re-spawn once caught. So you only have one chance to catch it. No multiple catches.
Fixed some weird movesets in Rival Battles near Trick House and Mauville.
Spoiler:

Slight increase in earlygame encounter rates.
Some move descriptions have not been updated, but should not gamebreak the game.
The only graphical bug comes from when you begin a trainer battle. Fortunately there are no reported bugs that crash the game, or have corrupted cries.
Now in Day and Night only. More trans-formative that way. Check the link.
Now Kaizo Emerald.

Attachments

• 151 Movepool.txt
    32 KB · Views: 18,380
  • 251 Movepool.txt
    17.9 KB · Views: 15,381
  • 386 Movepool.txt
    28.9 KB · Views: 18,192
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
Really want to play this hack, yet everytime i try opening it on myboy all i get is a white screen...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
Delete the .sav file for the game. It's usually in the same folder as the rom.
If it's not that, then you might have patched the wrong rom. The Trashman one worked for me.

ill try deleting the .sav but i am using the trashman one as well

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 5, 2017
Looks cool. I'm not a fan of "unfair" kaizo games, but this looks like something done with a thought.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 14, 2023
OH YEAH IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS...

Ive played Blue Kaizo and Crystal Kaizo as Nuzlockes, and now this is the final challenge nuzlocke for me.Started!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 22, 2017
Hey man,

I love your hacks.

I waited patiently for this one, but it seems to have a problem with the frequency of encounter on the roads, it takes way to long.

Is it voluntary?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Have you considered using Dizzy eggs patch that allows levels to max out at 255 (or any custom level) instead of 100? It makes it more fun for post game in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
I never seen the dizzy eggs patch in action. But I don't want to risk corruption.

Oh and there is a quick update to sort out a move error with Roxanne's anorith, it's supposed to have x-scissors, not signal beam.

Boss team documents are in the spoiler sections, though try to avoid certain spoilers within spoilers, near the Pokémon league teams. Rivals are not mentioned because too many teams.
One rival fight in a rainy section only has 5 Pokémon because it has bad boss placement in the original and editing was painfully long for these rivals.
Speaking of, I have another update, I fixed some missing data from the optional Brendan battle, and a wrong overworld sprite from a random optional trainer.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 12, 2017
Hi! Is there anyone who can help me out in Emerald Kaizo? I am stuck at the underwater seafloor pattern with Team Aqua. Each way I go, the currents send me through the entrance to the beginning of the cave. How do I do it? Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Hi! Is there anyone who can help me out in Emerald Kaizo? I am stuck at the underwater seafloor pattern with Team Aqua. Each way I go, the currents send me through the entrance to the beginning of the cave. How do I do it? Thanks!

Have you made it past that part yet? I'll give you a clue if you still need it. Just let me know.
Key thing is some good memory.

Since nuzlockes are very popular, I'll soon release locations on very specific Pokémon to tackle the elite four, along with my own "play by play," if I see one casual play succeed at beating the game. They are the only ones that can get through without dying in a nuzlocke, because I'm not pulling punches when in-universe bosses are supposed to be the best in the land.

Surprisingly the first recorded play was done by nuzlocke and on twitch. Multiple attempts though.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jul 19, 2021
Hey where can I find Larvitar/evos in? It says its in Meteor Falls but nothing there. And the pseudos area says theres a place on Route 130 but nothing there too

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 14, 2023
Um, i found a bug on a move - Flash Cannon still behaves like a sound-based move and is blocked by Soundproof.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
I am going to be looking into how to change one of the ids in the sound table.

Until then, here is another update:
Exploud family gets Vital Spirit
Electrode gets Static only
Mr.Mime gets own tempo

This will be temporary hopefully, until I can fix the sound table.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
I am going to be looking into how to change one of the ids in the sound table.

Until then, here is another update:
Exploud family gets Vital Spirit
Electrode gets Static only
Mr.Mime gets own tempo

This will be temporary hopefully, until I can fix the sound table.

I don't get it. Were the download links updated since the original release? Because I don't see any version numbers.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 14, 2023
I asked around, and I found this -
but there's a list in FR
2D 00 2E 00 2F 00 30 00 67 00 AD 00 FD 00 3F 01 40 01 30 01
Search for that
It's a list of move IDs that are explicitly blocked by soundproof
Sonicboom and perish song are blocked in script

This was given from FR, and upon searching, it is also present in Emerald.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 18, 2017
Hi all

Currently this hacked version and love it so far very challenging. I need some help tho im stuck in route 119 at what looks to be a dead end about halfway up near the bridge and have no idea where to go next. Can anyone help?

Back