• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Speaking of Breloom, it's best off hiding behinds Subs, then firing off STAB Focus Punches or weakening the opponent with Leech Seed. It can also regain lost HP with Poison Heal.

try

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Careful
236 HP / 212 SpD / 60 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

it's the best set breloom can run

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I'm going to make a Sand Storm team, BW OU tier.

I've decided on using a Tyranitar with Superpower, Crunch, Fire Blast & Ice Beam. Don't remember the EVs, but I can VERY easily look up Smogon.

Also, I'll have Reuniclus for obivious reasons, thinking about the Calm Mind set.

Now, I'm wondering what Stealth Rock user to have...

I already have a Metagross that's fully trained with Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash & Earthquake, but it's a strategy from Smogon in the 4th generation... not sure it'd hold up...

& I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to have Hippowdon, who also can use Stealth Rock... It'd make it easier to set up/keep my Sand Storm going against other weather teams & make it harder for them to take away my weather advantage... But if Hippowdon & Tyranitar has problems against the same pokemon, this strategy isn't worth a hill of beans...

Suggestions for a better Stealth Rock user would be VERY nice...

I'm still deciding between Forretress (for Toxic Spikes) & Ferrothorn... (whom, if I got it right, counters any water type without fire or fighting attacks.)

For my Sand Sweeper, Landorus looks appealing, but I'd like to hear the ups & downs of it compared to Terrakion... Are there others that can be considered Sand sweepers? (I think Lucario may be one...)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

I've decided on using a Tyranitar with Superpower, Crunch, Fire Blast & Ice Beam. Don't remember the EVs, but I can VERY easily look up Smogon.

Also, I'll have Reuniclus for obivious reasons, thinking about the Calm Mind set.

I already have a Metagross that's fully trained with Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash & Earthquake, but it's a strategy from Smogon in the 4th generation... not sure it'd hold up...

& I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to have Hippowdon, who also can use Stealth Rock... It'd make it easier to set up/keep my Sand Storm going against other weather teams & make it harder for them to take away my weather advantage... But if Hippowdon & Tyranitar has problems against the same pokemon, this strategy isn't worth a hill of beans...

I'm still deciding between Forretress (for Toxic Spikes) & Ferrothorn... (whom, if I got it right, counters any water type without fire or fighting attacks.)

For my Sand Sweeper, Landorus looks appealing, but I'd like to hear the ups & downs of it compared to Terrakion... Are there others that can be considered Sand sweepers? (I think Lucario may be one...)

Just so you're not crowded with team slots, you'll have to make do with Tyranitar as your Stealth Rocker.

Just by looking at what you have, your team isn't very vulnerable to hazards (bar 3 layers of Spikes). I'd say go with Ferrothorn because of its ability to counter bulky Waters. You already have Reuniclus to cover your Fighting weakness. To be safe against Fighting Pokemon, maybe you can go with Landorus.

In short, your team will be:
-Tyranitar
-Reuniclus
-Ferrothorn
-Landorus
-Metagross (use the Agility set)
-(whatever you want)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
So I came across this set in DPP in an albeit gimmicky team, but Gallade is a lot better now and I was wondering your thoughts on this:

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly or Adamant (most likely Jolly)
Trick
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Filler move, Night Slash / Shadow Sneak, something to provide coverage.

edit, the basic idea behind it is that you trick something that comes in on it, lets say spiritomb and then you set up a free (or pretty dang close to free) swords dance and attack. obviously based on whatever filler move you use you need to adjust your team around support, but in theory it might work.

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
Fourth move can be Psycho Cut for STAB and coverage. This was actually posted in smogon too.

Terrakion still has 2x Fighting weakness, same goes with Lucario. You're gonna be better off with Landorus since it gets a lot of help from Ferrothorn (to cover up 2x weakness) and Metagross (covering up 4x Ice weakness).

Ferrothorn is good since it can counter bulky water types, Forry is nice but doesn't really kill anything. (It can kill Ghosts with Payback though)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy (Sassy because it fears Fireblast/Flamethrower) 0 IV on Speed too
252 HP 88 Def 168 SpDef
~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~Leech Seed
~Protect / Thunder Wave

You get SR set-up by TTar, so you narrow down your 4th move to Protect and T-Wave. Protect if you want to scout, T-Wave to cripple opponent's Pokemons.

Metagross can be use Agility or be a revenge killer.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Adamant/Jolly
252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Def
~EQ
~Meteor Mash
~Thunderpunch
~Zen Headbutt/Explosion/Trick/Hammer Arm* (if you want it to cover Air Balloon users)

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Jolly
52 HP 252 Attack 204 Speed
~Agility
~EQ
~Meteor Mash
~Thunder Punch / Zen Headbutt / Hammer Arm*

*Though Metagross will get -1 Speed from Hammer Arm, it is likely to switch out after the KO.

As suggested by Platinum Dude

-Tyranitar
-Reuniclus
-Ferrothorn
-Landorus
-Metagross

You can have an Electric / Dragon / Bulky Water on your 6th. Electric Pokemon can counter Flying types such as Skarmory. You can opt to use Magnezone with Magnet Pull to just get rid of Skarmory or other Steel types like, CB Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn, etc.

Magnezone @ Leftovers / Choice Specs <-- since you're just going to kill, Choice Specs is better used. LO is just for recovery.
Modest
148 HP 252 SpAttack 108 Speed
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Fire
~Flash Cannon
~Volt Switch

Last edited:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
@ PlatinumDude & Musica:

WOW!!!
I got a LOT more help from you 2 than I did on Bulbagarden!
(I'm General Volcano there, by the way.)

I was wondering if Heatran had a place on my team... Any advantages over Metagross? (both can use Stealth Rock, as I recall... but I see where setting up Stealth Rock & Sandstorm at once makes things simpler... but I also recall Smogon saying It'd like to have those 4 moves for max coverage...)

Hmm... Electric, Dragon or Bulky Water...

The electric type I really like is Galvantula, but while it can be used in OU, I'm not sure it's that good... (Too bad Game Freak didn't give it a Sp.Atk stat of at least 105...) If someone can, can they PM me on how to make sure Magnezone gets base 70 powered HP Fire? & how to make sure Ferrothorn has 0 Speed IVs?

There are 2 Dragons I'm interested in:
Haxorus:
For it's sheer power, since Landorus is my speedy sweeper, X can be my Wall Breaker, using a Sword Dance set.

Hydreigon:
It got pretty good stats overall & I'm thinking maybe my team could use a special threat...

If I use a Bulky Water, I'd like to use my favorite water Pokemon, Milotic.
I have one with Rest, Sleep Talk, Surf (can be replaced with Scald) & Dragon Tail. It has the EVs from the DPPt Resttalk set, not sure if that's the same as the BW resttalk set...

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
Years
Team Idea

Hey everyone. I'm not really a competitive battler, but I want to make a team just so that if I want to enter a tournament or something I'll have somewhat of a chance. I haven't started assembling it yet because I want to know what I need before I begin. So far I'm thinking something like: Wobbufet Heracross Claydol Aerodactyl Snorlax Absol I would like some ideas on movesets, EVs, natures and items. Thanks.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Okay so, I have a question about the ability Guts. Being burned while having Guts ability, does the status still affect the att stat in the same way or is that cancelled out by the ability? I always see people using a Toxic orb @ Guts so I was wondering.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Okay so, I have a question about the ability Guts. Being burned while having Guts ability, does the status still affect the att stat in the same way or is that cancelled out by the ability? I always see people using a Toxic orb @ Guts so I was wondering.

Its cancelled out and gives you a 50% boost so essentially a free +1 i.e a CB boost without being locked in lol. ^^

butterbiscuit

Potential!
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2013
Personal Team Building

Hello! This may seem a little over the top, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I want to competitively battle, which I haven't gotten into very seriously in the past, but I need some help building the team. I know all of the basics of competitive battling, obviously, I just need to have a team planned out so I can get started.

My philosophy with competitive battling is to use the Pokemon that I LIKE, not that I think are "the best". This is a comprehensive list of all the Pokemon that I like, and I just need to pick the ones I'm gonna use on my team.

What I'd like to do is have you select the six Pokemon from the list that I could use as a team. If possible, I'd like the moveset, nature, ability, and EVs shown along with them, but I don't necessarily need that, mind you. I don't actually expect this thread to do too well since I doubt people would want to take this much time to sift through all these Pokemon to help me make a team, but eh, I thought I'd give it a shot. As far as I know, no one as done anything like this before.

=========================================================

=====
Normal
=====

Clefable
Wigglytuff
Snorlax
Noctowl
Granbull
Ursaring
Miltank
Slaking
Porygon-Z

=====
Fire
=====

Ninetales
Arcanine
Magmortar
Chandelure

=====
Water
=====

Blastoise
Tentacruel
Slowbro
Cloyster
Seaking
Starmie
Lapras
Omastar
Kabutops
Feraligatr
Azumarill
Politoed
Slowking
Octillery
Swampert
Ludicolo
Whiscash
Crawdaunt
Milotic
Walrein
Huntail
Seismitoad

=====
Grass
=====

Vileplume
Parasect
Victreebel
Jumpluff
Sunflora
Sceptile
Ludicolo
Shiftry
Breloom
Serperior
Simisage
Whimsicott
Ferrothorn

=====
Poison
=====

Vileplume
Victreebel
Tentacruel
Gengar
Weezing
Crobat
Swalot

=====
Bug
=====

Parasect
Forretress
Shuckle
Masquerain
Crustle
Escavalier

=====
Fighting
=====

Breloom
Hariyama
Gallade
Scrafty

=====
Rock
=====

Omastar
Kabutops
Sudowoodo
Shuckle
Aggron
Gigalith
Crustle
Archeops

=====
Dark
=====

Shiftry
Crawdaunt
Krookodile
Scrafty

=====
Psychic
=====

Slowbro
Hypno
Starmie
Xatu
Slowking
Grumpig
Claydol
Metagross
Gallade
Musharna
Reuniclus
Beheeyem

=====
Ghost
=====

Gengar
Drifblim
Chandelure
Golurk

=====
Dragon
=====

Flygon
Altaria

=====
Ground
=====

Piloswine
Swampert
Flygon
Whiscash
Claydol
Excadrill
Seismitoad
Krookodile
Golurk

=====
Steel
=====

Forretress
Aggron
Metagross
Excadrill
Escavalier
Ferrothorn

=====
Flying
=====

Noctowl
Crobat
Xatu
Jumpluff
Masquerain
Altaria
Drifblim
Archeops

=====
Ice
=====

Cloyster
Lapras
Piloswine
Glalie
Walrein

=====
Electric
=====

Ampharos
Manectric
Eelektross

Also, I think I know my favorite Pokemon types after typing up this list...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hello! This may seem a little over the top, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I want to competitively battle, which I haven't gotten into very seriously in the past, but I need some help building the team. I know all of the basics of competitive battling, obviously, I just need to have a team planned out so I can get started.

My philosophy with competitive battling is to use the Pokemon that I LIKE, not that I think are "the best". This is a comprehensive list of all the Pokemon that I like, and I just need to pick the ones I'm gonna use on my team.

What I'd like to do is have you select the six Pokemon from the list that I could use as a team. If possible, I'd like the moveset, nature, ability, and EVs shown along with them, but I don't necessarily need that, mind you. I don't actually expect this thread to do too well since I doubt people would want to take this much time to sift through all these Pokemon to help me make a team, but eh, I thought I'd give it a shot. As far as I know, no one as done anything like this before.

=====
Normal
=====

Clefable
Wigglytuff
Snorlax
Noctowl
Granbull
Ursaring
Miltank
Slaking
Porygon-Z

=====
Fire
=====

Ninetales
Arcanine
Magmortar
Chandelure

=====
Water
=====

Blastoise
Tentacruel
Slowbro
Cloyster
Seaking
Starmie
Lapras
Omastar
Kabutops
Feraligatr
Azumarill
Politoed
Slowking
Octillery
Swampert
Ludicolo
Whiscash
Crawdaunt
Milotic
Walrein
Huntail
Seismitoad

=====
Grass
=====

Vileplume
Parasect
Victreebel
Jumpluff
Sunflora
Sceptile
Ludicolo
Shiftry
Breloom
Serperior
Simisage
Whimsicott
Ferrothorn

=====
Poison
=====

Vileplume
Victreebel
Tentacruel
Gengar
Weezing
Crobat
Swalot

=====
Bug
=====

Parasect
Forretress
Shuckle
Masquerain
Crustle
Escavalier

=====
Fighting
=====

Breloom
Hariyama
Gallade
Scrafty

=====
Rock
=====

Omastar
Kabutops
Sudowoodo
Shuckle
Aggron
Gigalith
Crustle
Archeops

=====
Dark
=====

Shiftry
Crawdaunt
Krookodile
Scrafty

=====
Psychic
=====

Slowbro
Hypno
Starmie
Xatu
Slowking
Grumpig
Claydol
Metagross
Gallade
Musharna
Reuniclus
Beheeyem

=====
Ghost
=====

Gengar
Drifblim
Chandelure
Golurk

=====
Dragon
=====

Flygon
Altaria

=====
Ground
=====

Piloswine
Swampert
Flygon
Whiscash
Claydol
Excadrill
Seismitoad
Krookodile
Golurk

=====
Steel
=====

Forretress
Aggron
Metagross
Excadrill
Escavalier
Ferrothorn

=====
Flying
=====

Noctowl
Crobat
Xatu
Jumpluff
Masquerain
Altaria
Drifblim
Archeops

=====
Ice
=====

Cloyster
Lapras
Piloswine
Glalie
Walrein

=====
Electric
=====

Ampharos
Manectric
Eelektross

Also, I think I know my favorite Pokemon types after typing up this list...

That's a huge list. o_o

Anyway, here's what I think:

Ferrothorn is a great Pokemon to use defensively, so how about using this set to start out?:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/68 Def/188 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Tentacruel or Starmie pair well with Ferrothorn because they resist Fire and Fighting. Both also provide Rapid Spin support:

Tentacruel:
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Protect/Ice Beam
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze/Rain Dish

Starmie:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Rapid Spin
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

Arcanine can be used if you want a FWG core:

Arcanine:
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

You can use Gengar to cover the Ground weaknesses of Arcanine (and Tentacruel if you choose to use it):
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

You can use Scrafty for some Fighting coverage:
-Dragon Dance
-Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Ice Punch/Taunt
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Moxie

or
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Crunch/Dragon Tail
-Rest
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/8 Atk/248 SDef
Ability: Shed Skin

Reuniclus can be used to help against stall:
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Ability: Magic Guard

butterbiscuit

Potential!
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2013
That's a huge list. o_o

Anyway, here's what I think:

Ferrothorn is a great Pokemon to use defensively, so how about using this set to start out?:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/68 Def/188 SDef

Tentacruel or Starmie pair well with Ferrothorn because they resist Fire and Fighting. Both also provide Rapid Spin support:

Tentacruel:
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Protect/Ice Beam
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze/Rain Dish

Starmie:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Recover
Ability: Natural Cure

Arcanine can be used if you want a FWG core:

Arcanine:
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

You can use Gengar to cover the Ground weaknesses of Arcanine (and Tentacruel if you choose to use it):
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

You can use Scrafty for some Fighting coverage:
-Dragon Dance
-Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Ice Punch/Taunt
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Moxie

or
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Crunch/Dragon Tail
-Rest
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/8 Atk/248 SDef
Ability: Shed Skin

Reuniclus can be used to help against stall:
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Ability: Magic Guard

Thank you for all of your help! I will definitely take this into consideration! :]

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I have a question so I recently have pokemion online but there is something I don't understand.
Actually those clauses. Can anyone please give some information about it?

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I have a question so I recently have pokemion online but there is something I don't understand.
Actually those clauses. Can anyone please give some information about it?

Just follow this link, here. It has everything you need to know about clauses ^^ Not to mention linking is easier than describing every clause haha :P

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Hey folks, tell me what ya'll think about my newly completed Choice Band/Scarf Dragonite. I can run a Scarf on him, but it's mostly going to be Banded.

Dragonite @ Choice Band/Scarf
Adamant nature
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Outrage
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall

I just threw Waterfall on there as a filler, there might be better choices like Rock Slide of Stone Edge. The idea is to hit with as much power as possible right off the bat. Or faster with max attack. And Extreme Speed isn't an option, because I don't use RNG or Pokemon online or whatever you use to change stuff around, like perfect IV's on your whole team. This was strictly done on the actual DS system, breeding for the right nature and EV training it manually.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey folks, tell me what ya'll think about my newly completed Choice Band/Scarf Dragonite. I can run a Scarf on him, but it's mostly going to be Banded.

Dragonite @ Choice Band/Scarf
Adamant nature
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Outrage
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall

I just threw Waterfall on there as a filler, there might be better choices like Rock Slide of Stone Edge. The idea is to hit with as much power as possible right off the bat. Or faster with max attack. And Extreme Speed isn't an option, because I don't use RNG or Pokemon online or whatever you use to change stuff around, like perfect IV's on your whole team. This was strictly done on the actual DS system, breeding for the right nature and EV training it manually.

Ice Punch is redundant with Outrage; use Fire Punch instead (for the Steels that EQ can't hit, like Skarmory). You can also consider ExtremeSpeed over Waterfall for the priority (but Dragonite learns it as an event move from HG/SS or by breeding a male ES Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite (from HG/SS) with the female counterpart). Is your Dragonite's ability Multiscale?

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
Years
Would it be smart to combine a sandstorm and trick room team into one? My team would consist of Hippowdon, Carracosta, Bronzong, Steelix, Aggron, and Torterra.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
Years
Would it be smart to combine a sandstorm and trick room team into one? My team would consist of Hippowdon, Carracosta, Bronzong, Steelix, Aggron, and Torterra.

I mean, you can if you so choose, as the majority of those Pokemon are pretty slow. You could use Bronzong as your lead with TR/Screens/SR/Gyro Ball to get set up everyone else, but if you're playing OU you might want to give Reuniclus the nod over Zong, and maybe Landorus & Gliscor over Aggron and Torterra, as they'll last longer and be more beneficial in sand imo. If it's not a serious OU team, then use who you wish!

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
Years

I mean, you can if you so choose, as the majority of those Pokemon are pretty slow. You could use Bronzong as your lead with TR/Screens/SR/Gyro Ball to get set up everyone else, but if you're playing OU you might want to give Reuniclus the nod over Zong, and maybe Landorus & Gliscor over Aggron and Torterra, as they'll last longer and be more beneficial in sand imo. If it's not a serious OU team, then use who you wish!
I would use this team to battle in OU. I was going for the unorthodox look. If I were to bring in Landorus what should it's set-up be? Also a second question: Is there some kind of secret to EV training? It seems like I have lots of trouble with it.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I would use this team to battle in OU. I was going for the unorthodox look. If I were to bring in Landorus what should it's set-up be? Also a second question: Is there some kind of secret to EV training? It seems like I have lots of trouble with it.

Landorus might, emphasis on the might, work in a TR team. With minimal speed investments, it can reach a speed of 183, slower than base 76 speed Mons, with no EV investments and a neutral nature. Just don't get too excited.

As for EV training, you're gonna have to be a little more specific. What part to you have trouble with? Keeping track of the EVs? Finding spots to train? 'Cause EV training is pretty simple.. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back