• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Haven't seen Amagami but it sounds like the set up of that twincest show a couple of years ago, fine with me as long as the arcs are interesting.

I finished that oldschool mecha cartoon an it wasn't great.......until the film. Damn my draw hit the ground about during the finale, was amazing.

After that I started Nodame Cantabile, another show that makes me wonder if JC Staff might actually do Little Busters well.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
Not judging a show to be crap just because of its animation studio? Looking past all the preconceived notions of their previous works and judging a show on its own merit? What a novel concept. Please, tell me more.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I wonder if there's a difference between judging a show crap because of it's producers and expressing worry due to how said producers have handled other projects in recent years.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
What's even so bad about J.C. Staff's recent works that would warrant such worry?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I take it you didn't watch the final series of Zero no Tsukaima and Shana as well as Kill Me Baby, Heaven's Memo Pad, Raildex, Aria (the one with guns not boats), Dream Eater Vagina Bones and Onagai Senpai.

They do have that Kasai guy who directed Aoi Hana, Bakuman, Honey and Clover and Nodome though so they're not all bad.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
Elaborate on how that ties in to why J.C. Staff animating Little Busters warrants worry.

And Kill Me Baby was so bad it's good. It's simplicity is what makes it so good. It wasn't trying to sell, it had no astounding detail for any aesthetics, and had literally 5 seiyuu working on the whole thing. Like, what were you expecting, Nichijou? J.C. Staff didn't try to dress up KMB with fancy orchestrated music, overly detailed and fluid animation, or loads of character related merchandise. They knew KMB was stupidly simple and kept it as such. Sure, it didn't sell nor was it popular, but it was still a pretty dang amusing adaptation of a super simple 4koma series.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
A string of terrible to mediocre titles doesn't signal any worry to you? Perhaps I was just looking forward for this announcement more. :/

Kill Me Baby source was pretty amusing, perhaps the anime got better after I dropped it but even with it's simplistic feel it just wasn't good. Garzey's Wing, Guilty Crown, Chaos;Head, Kaze no Stigma and School Days are shows I'd class as so bad they're good, Kill me Baby was just meh.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
Could it be that the source materials were subpar and not the animation adaptation? And if they were horribly butchered abominations of their source material? What would I need to worry about then; it's pretty much guaranteed that Little Busters would be terrible too. Nothing to worry about.

And yeah, it wasn't GOOD (still love it though), but at least it wasn't trying to be (unlike Nichijou).

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
As long as they weren't trying it's cool then.

Punches aside the Index novels are a hell of a lot better than the cartoon, I've been told that Shana is a lot better in novel form, I can't back that up though. The ZnT and Shana manga are better than the anime although that's just a case of less QUALITY moments. Ano Natsu was just an uncreative original, thinking about it the pacing wasn't horrible and the character design was ok so I was probably a little harsh including that in the bad pile.

Nichijou was good, both source and adaptation.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
The adaptations weren't outright terrible though, right? Like, EVERY ANIME EVER is worse than the source material, even the ones that are the original. It happens every single time with every single adaptation. So long as they don't Tsukihime again, Little Busters! will just be like every single other adaptation: inferior to the source why are you even watching it go read the manga/novel/game.

Nichijou is good, in both source and anime, but the quality of the final product doesn't reflect the amount of effort they put into it. They put a lot of freaking effort into it. Sakuga-styled animation, an orchestral score, super artsy eyecatches, changing EDs, and character singles for 9 characters. They even added extra scenes in bluray and aired an abridged version last winter. All of this for something that didn't even sell. It only seems to be a hit among English speaking circles. Behind all the bells and whistles, it's just a simple slapstick, deadpan, overall clever comedy gag 4koma. To me, Nichijou anime is good, but not great. A couple of great memorable scenes, but not much more. I can't help but feel that I would've enjoyed it much more if they just toned it down a bit.

tl;dr: KyoAni tried way too hard.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Shana F is the worst anime I've ever seen, it made other horrible titles like Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Mouryou no Hako, DearS, Oremo and Eiken look like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Gintama. ZnT was same old heremcrap, any progress in the relationship is reset at the start of every episode, but Shana was just awful, I mean how can an action orientated show be so dull?

As for the whole source is king statement, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. I could probably rattle of a list 30 strong of adaptations I liked more than the source (would probably be more if my read and watched overlapped more).

I can't believe I'm reading what I'm reading, an anime fan complaining about a studio putting too much effort into a show. Who cares if the Elevens bought it or not the final result was a lot of laughs, what more can you ask of a slapstick comedy show? Also without the dramatic shifts in animation quality a lot of the scenes would have had so much less impact....take

Talking about Nichijou makes me sad that there are no really good comedy series airing right now. sadfrog.jpg

Oh and the only reason the Elevens didn't buy it is the fact that a couple of the girls liked boys, would have bought it if those girls weren't so ****ty.

Last edited:

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
I'd think it'd be the constant onslaught of dialog and jargon on top of the constant reminders of the numerous romance side-stories. I'd imagine that a battle of words, along with the narration of feelings of romance, work much better in novel format than they would animated.

You probably still go to /a/, you know better than I how most people feel about the anime adaptation in relation to their source.

That's the thing though, I wasn't asking for more, I was asking for less. Laughs are what I want from a slapstick comedy series, not much else. That's why I liked Kill Me Baby so much. The scene you just posted is pretty much what I didn't like about Nichijou's presentation. I can understand a dramatic change in animation to complement the scenes, but the degree to which they took it did much more to overshadow than to complement. The problem isn't necessarily that it's too much effort, just that it's misplaced. This is pretty much what I feel KyoAni did to Nichijou. It's still funny, but so many unnecessary additions detract from it.

I think that Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is probably the funniest show this season, but it's the typical otaku-pandering kind of humor, so it might not be your thing.

Most anime that sold extremely well have girls that like another male character in the anime. Irrefutable proof: Bakemonogatari (Nisemonogatari more so since the imoutos both have boyfriends). It's the comedic, non-character centric nature of the source that didn't allow Nichijou to sell really well, so why go to all the trouble of creating so many incentives such as a whopping 9 character song singles, extra bluray shorts, extra bluray scenes if the nature of the source wouldn't have been profitable anyway?

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
AAAAH LET'S STEER AWAY FROM BAD SONGS

Well they're all good in their own way tbqh.
---------------------- :offtopic from here on:
Spoiler:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Implying The Titanic wouldn't be made *insert Dragon Ball Z reference* better with that treatment, I guess I just appreciated the silliness of the show more than you.

But I wonder what monogatari would have sold without fetish fuel for every fetish imaginable, and the sisters having boyfriends*....another fetish, oniichan NTRing both of them, I joke of course but without the t&a I wonder what the sales would look like. We all know the only way to sell big in Area Eleven is to have gracious fanservice, giant robots (the worse the protagonist the better), have otaku pandering moeblobs or to be Dragon Piece.

Pandering humour/shows are ok sometimes, I'll think about checking it out come the end of the season. I've heard the main guy is an annoying pussy so that would probably be it's main stumbling block.

As KyoAni is the topic of discussion what are your thoughts on this, can't say I'm excited but will probably at least try it anyway.

*I would love to see the otaku uproar if the Keions got boyfriends at uni.

jpp8

Producer
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
That's just its presentation. I have a whole other long list of things that I don't like about Nichijou, but at the very least, I don't hate it.

I subscribe to the theory that good anime that can appeal to their audience well enough sells. Like, entertaining enough to want to make you give them your money so that you can have sort of a souvenir of the experience.

Nyaruko male mc is more of a killjoy than a pussy. If anything, the main problem this show is looking at is keeping a constant pace, since they pretty much already resolved the main conflict in episode 2 (PROBABLY NOT REALLY SPOILERS) and both episodes were excellent. Things will probably go downhill from here, unfortunately.

My thoughts on that series is that getting off the high of the cash cows that were K-ON! and Shoushitsu when Nichijou flopped immensely, KyoAni decided to go back to pandering to their main audience, K-ON!, Haruhi, and Lucky Star's watchers. And if what I heard about Hyouka is true and that it's 11 volumes priced ¥1000 higher than the norm, then 中二病 is definitely a fallback. Still going to watch it and enjoy it anyway.

Maybe I just like crappy anime, OK? ;;

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Jenna Rose >>>>>>> Rebecca Black.

'My Jeans' should have gotten so much more exposure than 'Friday'.

HANNAH MONTANA IS WEARING MY JEANS
ASHLEY TISDALE IS WEARING MY JEANS
How did this song slip under my radar?

Continuing the discussion, may I introduce to you the one and only, Penny Coats!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
And I know that a number of the "dating sim adaptation OVA" series I've watched aren't the pinnacle of great entertainment, but I can still enjoy them for what they are, lol

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
High school romance series, well at least the shounen ones have become rather hit and miss with me, I probably burnt myself out on them during my first few years watching cartoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back