• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battling

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Sky battle is a new battling system introduced in generation six, where you fight against others in air instead of the ground. Only a select number of Pokémon could participate in this type of match; flying-types (not all) and those who have Levitate ability. What are your thoughts on this? Do you enjoy it? In total, how many sky battles have you participated in thus far?

Elements1

Meh
Years
I've been in one sky battle, not sure how many there are though. I think their ok, I like how that sorta changed up the battles with sky battles. I wish they had something like ocean battles though, with just water pokemon. What would make it better though is if they an online battle version of the Sky battle not just with NPCs.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Sky battles are interesting, to say the least. Pokemon like Aerodactyl are advantageous against most of them. And it kind of irks me figuring out how the Sky Trainers are able to get to those impossible-to-reach places.

Years
I always found the eligibility of Pokemon in sky battles kinda weird, because there's some Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon that still can't take part solely because their models don't depict them hovering in the air, like some of the lowest evolution stage birds. I pretty much used Mega Charizard X to destroy those Sky Trainers on my playthrough.

lol even Gengar can't take part, but its pre-evolutions can. Game Freak logic.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Not exactly. Some of their Pokemon also have Levitate, like Cryogonal and Flygon. Still doesn't exactly explain how they get to those places, IMO.

Well, they have wingsuits- so one can assume that they simply hired a plane and jumped. Their 'mons helping them make such precise landings.

Years
I find them very neat and interesting. Though, like many have said before, the selection of available pokemon for sky battles is a little small. And heaven forbid if you enter a sky battle thinking you have one that will work only to have it already fainted and the only other flyer is a low level. Yep, I did that.
I completely forgot I was on the way to the pokecenter when I seen the sky trainer and accepted his battle. D'oh!

Years
+1

The idea was good, but it wasn't at all incorporated into the story. You could easily play a full runthrough without encountering them once.

Yeah, I agree. The sky trainers are completely optional battles, which I'm okay with since sometimes you may not have an eligible Pokemon for the battle anyway.

Years
I honestly don't like the sky battles and I like that they are optional so I can completely avoid them if I should feel it.

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
Years
I completely avoided them throughout the whole game. I didn't have many flying types until late in the game. I will try a few someday possibly if I get X, but I think it's a bit of a gimmick.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I like it and it's actually very unique, but… it feels sort of random, you know? If we're having some battling system like this, why can't we have one that utilize sea and underground as well? I know there's still time and whatnot, but still. Anyway. even though it's fun, I try to avoid these kind of matches. I just haven't been able to get used to them yet. :P

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I don't really like Sky Battles. You can't use Gengar because Mega Gengar doesn't have Levitate. The fact that my second Sky Battles pitted my Pidgeot against an Emolga really didn't help.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
They were a nice change of pace, but felt so underwhelming. Only having a few of them and not making it some sort of post-game challenge at the Battle Maison seemed like a missed opportunity. Hopefully we see more of it in the next game, and maybe change some of the requirements (like make it so that any Pokemon with wings can be used, along with the levitators.)

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
There isn't really enough pokemon to do this sort of thing regularly, be nice is you got something extra for winning, especially since not everyone carries a battle ready flying type. the play through i'm on now is the first time ever i have 2 flying on my team. I think this and inverse battles are just being tested out in this game, maybe in upcoming they'll fine tune it so it'll be worth the time to have decent pokemon to participate in special battles like that.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
It was basically made for commercials, there's no difference at all other than that. I think it'd be neat if it was one of those monthly online battle guideline things.

Years
I don't really like Sky Battles. You can't use Gengar because Mega Gengar doesn't have Levitate. The fact that my second Sky Battles pitted my Pidgeot against an Emolga really didn't help.

The reason Gengar is ineligible is because its model in general is not hovering, even in the non-Mega form.

Shhmew

Years
Ehhh I have mixed feelings about them I guess. I LOVE flying types and pretty much any pokemon that flies looks super awesome with its 3D model. But, I completely avoid them, because they're so random and gimmicky. I'll think I have a battle on lockdown with my super awesome high leveled Noivern, and they send out an Aerodactyl with Ice Fang, or a Cryogonal, and I have no choice but to let myself get creamed. :l You just never know what to expect.

So, well, I think they're kinda cool in theory, but overall not exactly my cup of tea. I've done maybe four of them total and from then on just started ignoring/avoiding them.

Back