• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advanced Palette Editing Tutorial

DarkFear

I will ^^
Years
  • Age 29
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 22, 2010
Hmmm... if you change just that scene, will it have effects on all the textboxes? (I don't understand that part, but everything else is great Christos!)

Red

Pokémon Trainer
Years
Look at all the blue colors until you find two blue ones that their RGB numbers match with the ones from the textbox.
If you notice, it tells you which palette it is in the map viewer. It ranges from 0 to 15, in the screenshot it even shows that. (So you don't have to search.)
4otsew0ys6.png

Just edited your screenshot.

Also, if you guys want to edit the palette manually, there is a way. I figured this out about a week ago.

First, you get each color of red, green and blue.
Let's say you wanted to make the RGB of 22,37,103. First, you have to round off to multiples of eight. (Meaning if you divide the number by 8, there will be no decimal/remainder.) So, my new numbers are 24,40,104. They are all multiples of 8.
Now, you need the windows calculator. In Windows XP, it's located Start>All Programs>Accessories>Calculator. Once the calculator is open, you need to change to Scientific view.(View->Scientific)
Next, make sure you have decimal selected("Dec").
Now, first divide each number by 8 and we have the valid numbers we can use. So, with the numbers I had before, this gets me 3,5,13. The numbers only range from 0 to 31. The numbers will show up in the game as multiplied by 8.
Now, convert these numbers to binary, by first typing them when decimal is selected and then clicking, "Bin". You'll get a series of 1's and 0's. If the number you get is less than 5 digits long, you'll need to add zeros to the left of the number so that it is 5 digits long.
For example, '3' converted to binary is '11,' so the number you need is '00011.'
Now, with all three numbers converted, now my values in red, green and blue are 00011,00101,01101. Now, the next thing you need to do is simply reverse the numbers so it is now blue, green, red(instead of red, green blue). So, now I have 01101,00101,00011(13,5,3) of blue, green, red. This is your binary code version of your hex colors.
So, remove the commas and the code is '011010010100011.' Now, type the full 15-digit code into the calculator while in binary("Bin") mode. Then, click "Hex" to convert it to hexadecimal. In my case, I get 34A3 as my hexadecimal code. Now, reverse the bytes and instead of 34A3, you now have A334, this is the code as it would appear in the hex editor. Now the first post tutorial can help you with the rest.
(I think that tool was made simply to help with this step.)

And, also instead of writing down the hex codes for every single palette color, it's easier just to rip the whole thing. First, get the address of the first color in the palette you're editing.
addressyh0.png

Then, open the Memory Viewer(Tools>Memory Viewer in VisualBoyAdvance) and click "Save..." Then, type in this address with a size of 20(Hex for 32) and it will save a .dmp file.
dmpbl5.png

Open the .dmp file with a hex editor and the entire palette is put there for you already. You can simply copy the entire thing and then search for it in the rom to find the palette.

Last edited:

EdDi

EdDi
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2008
nice one...
Hey CAn Some1 Tell Me how to Play with Gary???
Change the icon Ash to gary??How??

Years
Nice new tutorial...Really good for hackers who don't know pal. changing

i guess it helps some people but i just dont see the point in changing the colour around the text

its too bee creative and for me I could really tell the difference

this should given an award cuz it helped me a lottt

Last edited:

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
I went to >tools But All i saw is Colour Picker Gradient O matic and RGB/GBA COnverter..I cant find the map view

Back