• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Pokémon Trainer Academy (T) [Best Veteran 4Q '11]

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Charles Zernas

Charles arrived back at the Suicune dorm, his feet crunching softly against the cool snow coating earth. Charles threw to door opened, and the heat of the dorm filled his body, making him feel great. Closing the door behind him, he walked to his bed, slinging the coat off behind him. Phillip was lying down reading a book on one of the beds closest to the door. He nodded at Charles, not taking his eyes off the book. Charles sat down and asked, "So where is Oak Town? I want to go there." Charles waited as Phillip didn't answer. Charles was about to repeat himself when Phillip held up a finger, "Soon as I finish this chapter."

Charles tapped his foot impatiently, when finally Phillip responded, "Go north along the coastline. Or go northeast through the plains, but if you see the forest you've gone too far east. You'll have to go a little west in that case." Charles nodded staring at the wall, "Okay then. See you at the party later." Charles put his coat back on, and slung his backpack over both shoulders. He exited through the front door, but decided to heal his Pokemon first, everyone but Staravia would be tried out. Charles passed outside of the Entei cabin, seeing a sobbing student and three other kids. He paid it no mind though, the day wasn't particularly long.

Finally inside of the academy, Charles checked the wall maps again for the Pokemon healer room. He located it luckily rather quickly, as it was in the center of the building. He put the two Pokeballs that needed healing in the machine, and pressed the red button, waiting. About two minutes passed when the red button turned green. He removed the Pokeballs, and the button turned red again. He was getting hot inside with his jacket on. So he decided to hurry and run down the hallway.

Outside, his insulated jacket kept him warm, as he had just run a fair distance. Unwilling to walk anymore, Charles sent out Staravia. Staravia looked at Charles contemptuously, and Charles gingerly sat on its back. The Pokemon didn't react immediately, but as soon as all of Charles' weight was on its back, it launched itself forwards a few feet, and Charles tumbled off of its back. Sighing he said, "Please Staravia?" It turned away from him with a curt, "Star."

Sighing Charles reached into his backpack and pulled out a spicy poffin. Staravia loved those, generally one could get her to do what he wanted. He put out his hand, and she turned around, snatching the poffin out of his hand. Charles cautiously stepped onto her back. She made no signs of bolting, so he settled in. She didn't move, and Charles gratefully closed his eyes and look a long breath in and out. He lighting tapped her head and she took off. Checking his compass app on his X-Transciever, he nudged her to the right. They were high above the ground at this point. Falling would most likely be fatal.

Below him were some vast plain, on his right not far off he could see some mountains. Below him there were herds of Pokemon, some of the small ones disappearing into holes when the shadow above flew over them. Charles sighed and nudged Staravia downwards, she lowered towards the ground. Now landing however, she was a few feet above the ground. Charles smiled and-
Charles yelled loudly as he and Staravia tumbled to the ground, knocked apart by an unknown Pokemon and attack. Charles landed on his back and Staravia slide to a stop about ten feet away, heaving breaths.

A Fearow swooped down from the sky, using Aerial Ace on Staravia. Completely unprepared, Staravia toppled over and slid. "Staravia. Use Double Team." Shaking the dizziness out of its head, Staravia multiplied, leaving the Fearow confused. It made a decision and flapped its wings rapidly creating a mini-whirlwind making many false copies disappear. "Staravia, use Quick Attack." One version of Staravia shot forwards and the Fearow turned to face it, but that version disappeared. From behind it Staravia slammed into the Fearow, and all of the false copies disappeared.

Quickly regaining its wits, the Fearow turned around and poked Staravia three times with its beak, using Fury Attack, "Staravia! Use Wing Attack." Staravia spread its wings and smashed them down on Fearow. Fearow fell back a step, but then used Aerial Ace, slamming right into Staravia, then carrying it into the sky, and dropping it about twenty feet up. Staravia frantically tried to flap its wing to stop the fall, but had only one second to react, and hit the ground, hard. "Staravia! Get up and use Tackle!" There was no response. "Staravia?" Charles took out his Pokeball and returned Staravia. This was one aggressive Fearow.

Charles' eyes widened as he saw the Fearow flying strait towards him using Aerial Ace. He reached for Swift's Pokeball and sent him out, however he picked the wrong one, and his newly caught Feebas showed up. The Fearow swooped down on Charles, and he dove to the right. THis was going to be hard with a new Pokemon.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years
Kale David Reynard --- Oak Town

*CRUNCH* Kale felt a surge of pain rush up through his back as his clumsy footwork had him falling flat out on the icy and slippery floor. His pained cringe turned to a aggressive snarl as (to add insult to injury) he heard the muffled snickering of his trusted partners barely audible voice. Pulling himself to his feet, Kale turns to the small Mawile and gives her a piercing glare. "Oh yes Aria, it's very funny when it isn't you isn't it? Must you be so unfeeling?" Hearing these words the small pokemon growls in annoyance and starts speaking back. "Maw... Mawile? Mawile!" Kale simply sighed in response as he lifted his large bag onto his back, it contained the basic supplies required for academy life... aswell as a very large lump sum of cash (a going away/Christmas gift from his parents).

Kale had arrived on Oak Island on the boat that had entered port a short while ago and since then he had decided to partake in a personal exploration of Oak town and the facilities it had... while giving his silent admiration however, he had slipped on the icy ground and fallen hard on his back... much to his partner, Aria the Mawile's, amusement. "...Ma...wile?" Aria asked, glancing around at the surrounding buildings. Kale snorted, "Yes, it is in fact Christmas... we sure picked a hell of a time to arrive." Aria frowned. "Mawile? Mawile Maw?" Kale fell back to an expressionless face. "Of course they wanted me home for it... they're constantly trying to get me home for any reason at all." Using her massive jaws, Aria hooked onto and climbed up onto Kale's shoulder. "Maaaawile?" Kale simply tutted and rolled his eyes. "I'm not answering that... you know why." Aria pouted, evidently unsatisfied with his response but regardless apparently understanding that asking further into the matter was not the most intelligent course of action. An awkward silence fell between the two and Kale was (surprisingly enough) the one to break it.

"We should train some... don't you think? The cold weather isn't something we're all too used to back at home... unless of course you're in Giant chasm but I don't believe we ever made it that far." Hearing his suggestion Aria perked up, leaping forward from his shoulder and landing firmly on the cold ground she turned to her trainer. "Mawile! Mawile Mawile Maw!" Kales eyes widened. "You want to go where?! That's crazy... in this weather? Surely that's too dangerous." Kale asked... though he knew deep down his partner would have an answer. "Mawile... Mawile? Maw!" Kale smiled. "Experiencing the worst this weather has to offer will train the two of us at an elevated rate when compared something as simple as a slightly frozen battlefield?... It's a bit over the top... but I must admit you can't argue with that logic." Happy with his response, Aria smirked and began trotting off towards their new destination. A bemused Kale walking at a steady pace behind her.

Kale David Reynard --- Mountains

It had taken him a fairly long time to get to where he was... despite the fact that it had only taken him a few minutes to get lost... Perhaps heading straight into the mountains was a bit too impulsive, however Kale and Aria's joint desire for self improvement in extreme conditions had driven them forward into their fairly precarious situation. About two hundred paces back Kale had removed his black woolen scarf from his bag and wrapped it firmly around his neck and lower face so that it barely covered his mouth. With this in place he gave a muffled call to Aria who was still walking a few paces ahead of him. "Well then!.... This could have gone better..." Aria frowned and turned to him for a moment as she fought against bitterly cold wind. "Maaaawiiiiile!" Kale frowned, but gave no further response. A few more seconds walking, turned to minutes and eventually what might have been hours... though in reality it was at most an hour or less... the harsh cold and Kale's inexperience with it made it feel much longer... still he was never one to complain, so Kale continued walking solemnly for the purpose of finding a good spot to do what he had originally set out to do. Train.

Eventually however his eyes caught something that threw him off guard as he walked along a snow covered ridge... it was another human and pokemon pair... though by the looks of things they were worse off than he and Aria were. A fairly short girl, blonde hair evident though he was at a bad angle to view her eyes, gripped a Honedge tightly in her hand... no... with the way the Honedge's scarf like appendage gripped the girls arm... perhaps IT was holding HER. As he examined the girl a little more from his perch, he saw that she was quite sickly pale... and... tired? Perhaps she was also lacking sleep... she looked downright possessed. While Kale watched the girl from above, Aria noticed he had stopped and ran back to his side. "Mawiiiiile?!" Kale shot a dark glare at Aria as she noticed the girl and honedge aswell, her face turning serious and aggressive as she realised Kale didn't seem to be doing anything to help, so Aria decided to give him a bit of friendly encouragement. The boy flinched and stumbled slightly falling downwards as Aria knocked him forward from behind with her jaws.

Landing surprisingly gracefully on his feet from the ridge above, Kale brushed himself down as he realised his partner was once again living up to her title as the "deceiver pokemon". He stood before the sickly girl now, his eyes rolling over her details with greater care and patience as he had a better vantage of her, he noticed bags under her eyes and the Honedge's truly tight grip on her forearm. He felt his calm and relaxed mood being overtaken by his serious and dark persona. He wasn't with his pokemon alone anymore... now there was someone else.

"You there... are you lost aswell perhaps?" It was a typical thing for him to say, skipping the formalities and jumping to the obvious, if this girl could help him find his way so be it, best case scenario would be that she give a somewhat friendly response, help him on his way and proceed to never speak to him again... however taking into consideration the girls sickly complexion and evident exhaustion... he doubted it would be that easy. In reality the question was more to test her sanity rather than anything else.

As Kale made contact, Aria decided to wait crouched down on the ridge above. Deciding it better to not reveal her presence just yet... her part in the situation, she decided, would depend on what exactly happened next.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Valorie Ryder - Mountains
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valorie trudged along through the snow, her steps cautious as she tried to avoid slipping and falling even as her feet sunk in and offered valuable traction. She really didn't need more bad luck spiting her. In every direction there was only snow and perhaps a snow covered tree. She could see some pokemon in the distance, but they seemed to have no desire to harass the poor girl and kept their distance. What had she ever done to deserve this? Whom had she spited to have karma hit her this hard? ...MacKenzie, was that you?

For the longest time it felt as if there was no end in sight. She passed through a valley, ignored the pleas of her legs as her thighs began to burn and her shins began to feel stiff. This time she did not have Shu to help her 'take her mind off of it' so to speak and so she forced herself to ignore her body's natural 'GET HEAT' response to the frigid air and snow. A part of her had to wonder why the honedge wrapped possessively around her forearm had not resumed stealing her life force. In fact, it hadn't really done much of anything for some time now! Aside from the passive if not irritating trickle of it feeding off her it wasn't exactly killing her. If only Shu hadn't fainted she could have just asked him...

It wouldn't be until Kale was quite close that the sickly girl even noticed he was there. Her mind had been elsewhere. Exhausted blue eyes looked up at him with mild fright as if fearing he might be another ghost. Yet, as she absorbed his words she quickly calmed. The small girl's expression changed to one of mild relief as she became immediately convinced that her troubles were over. She'd found someone, someone she didn't -think- was a rocket spy! "Yes..." Valorie responded in a somewhat lackluster tone as if disappointed in herself. "I've been out here for a long time. I--I've been robbed and... and I'm freezing. Help me..?" Valorie then proceeded to explain, pleading with the boy between shiver-filled breathes. She seemed rather desperate, pathetic even. It didn't seem to occur to her to even explain the honedge attached to her arm, which seemed to tighten subtly as the two closed the distance between each other in an almost possessive manner. Perhaps Valorie simply had more pressing matters on her mind? Her free hand was balled into a fist, drifting to her chest in a concerned gesture. If one disregarded the blade there really wasn't anything remotely threatening about her, and it gave little indication of actually being able to control her.

"Most of my pokemon were stolen... The others aren't fighting fit." Valorie hurriedly uttered in a slightly distracted tone, wobbling a tad where she stood. She was clearly a bit excited. Out in this deadly winter wonderland, she now had a warm ray of hope shining down on her.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

Kale's eyes were thin slits as he looked the girl up and down. How pathetic she looked to him at first glance, her frail form was so beaten and tired... as if was she possessing of no further strength than that which had forced her feet onward across the cruel and hidden mountain pathways they had both walked. He felt a twinge of pity and guilt as she explained her situation to him... still, she wanted him to help her? The wind was picking up... he had a feeling that the weather would only get worse... she would be nothing but a liability if a crisis occurred here on these mountains... Not to mention he still didn't trust the Honedge that was so eerily gripping her arm. In short... saving her was not in his best interest... not at all... in fact worst case scenario it might get him or (more importantly) Aria hurt... maybe even killed. He couldn't afford such a luxury as helping this girl. So he pulled the scarf down from his mouth and spoke.

"I'm sorry... but no. I can't help you. I have my own problems. Good luck."

With that he turned to leave... when suddenly he heard a light crunch of snow and a slight shrieking voice behind him. "Maw! Mawile!" Kale, with his scarf once again covering his mouth turns to his partner, who now stands firmly between himself and the girl after jumping down suddenly from the ridge. He frowns. "You know as well as I do Aria... we can't afford to help her in our own condition... she can barely walk." Aria roars aggresively in response. "Mawile! Mawile Mawile Maw!" Kale's frown turns to a face of anger and he turns around fully. "I don't care about such things Aria! Come on! Now! Don't make me use your pokéball..." Aria's face flashes with hurt. "Maw...wile...maw?" Kale's face drops and he looks ashamed for a moment. He seems to debate with himself for a second before quickly walking towards the girl whom had pleaded with him.

Stopping a few paces before the girl he removes his scarf and wraps it around her neck. "Here this should fend off the cold for a while at least, with the scarf gone Kale's full face was revealed, he had a semi-sympathetic, mostly annoyed expression. His features were handsome enough and his fairly short but messy silver hair sat in an unkempt mess due to the wind, his eyes seemed to burn brightly with their brownish-red color in the harsh, cold weather. He pointed along the ridge where he had first spotted the girl to a point where there seemed to be a small alcove, covered from the wind and snow.

"You're weakened, tired and ill, that's obvious to see. We need to get you out of this wind and that alcove over there is the best place to do it. You see it? Good. I have some items that can help your pokémon in my bag and I might have something warm to eat in there to help get your strength back if you're lucky. If you need help walking then grab my shoulder and I'll support you, it's not that far away from here anyway so you hopefully won't have to. Once you're feeling better I'll help you with your pokéthief if that's still even possible." His entire ramble was very blunt and to the point... aswell as being the most she'd probably ever hear him speak at once. Aria hopped in front of Kale with a smile, as if pleased and Kale just growled at her aswell as the girl. "Consider yourself lucky it's Christmas..."

With those words Kale had begun to trudge through the snow, seemingly uncaring but secretly keeping in close pace with the weakened girl watching her carefully, he kept eyeing the Honedge grasping her arm menacingly. It bothered him. So over the wind he shouted back to her. "That Honedge. It isn't yours is it? Why do you have it? What's its purpose?"

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Charles Zernas

Adrenaline rushed through Charles's body as the Fearow barely missed him. Looking around, Charles did not see the bird, however his Feebas lay on the ground, looking practically useless. A shriek came from the sky as the Fearow went in for another pass, "Feebas, use Dragon Pulse!" Charles screamed shakily. The Feebas used its side fins to turn to Charles, and stared at him. The movement attracted Fearow's attention, and it switched its target.

"Feebas! Use Dragon Pulse!" The Feebas just stared at Charles before it flew though the air, tumbling as the Fearow sent it flying. Landing on its side, the Feebas struggled vaguely, and turned to look at the Fearow, seething with hatred. Its face actually looked rather comical, like an unhappy potato with a glare on its face. The Fearow made another pass at Feebas.
"Feebas! U-" But the Feebas was already on it. A Dragon Pulse flew towards the Fearow, but it moved too quickly to dodge. A head-on collision with a Dragon Pulse did not look fun...

The collision did not stop the bird entirely, it went spiraling down to the ground. Laying on the ground, it didn't move. "I think we got it Feebas," Charles smiled. Feebas sent out another Dragon Pulse at the already fainted Fearow. It hit it, and the Fearow slid a few feet.
"Feebas?" The Feebas sent out another Dragon Pulse at it.
"STOP IT!" Charles yelled, "NO POINT IN-" Charles was cut off by another Dragon Pulse flying through the air. "NO! BAD FEEBAS!" Charles returned it and stoutly put the Pokeball back into his backpack. He stared at the Fearow for a second. Then he resumed his traveling to Oak Town. Except he was walking this time around.

After about twenty minutes and aching feet, Charles arrived in Oak Town. He looked around for a place to either get food, or a Pokemon Center. He would also have to find the Pokemart to get a TM or two. Checking in his pocket, yup, it was still there. His wallet with all of his money in it. Maybe there was a bank here as well. Charles wandered around for a while. It wasn't a giant town, but it certainly wasn't small. He finally arrived at a place that looked like a Pokemon Center.

Walking inside the building, Charles looked around, seeing the room. Walking to the counter he saw a man dressed in white standing there. "Hello. How may I help you?" He asked.
"Can you heal these two Pokemon please?" The man nodded as Charles handed over his Pokeballs. The man went into a back room. Charles walked to a a chair and sat down. He looked around, and the man walked out again, holding his two Pokeballs.

Charles stood up and gratefully accepted his Pokeballs, "Thanks."
The man nodded, "No problem. Come back if you need us again."
"Do you know where I can find a Pokemart?"
"One block to the right and you should be there." Charles nodded and walked off, pocketing his Pokeballs.

After successfully finding the Pokemart and going inside, Charles immediately found the TM section. It was giant, and on the second floor. Charles looked around. He had earlier decided that he needed to buy Ice Beam. An ever-lasting Ice Beam. Searching the ever-lasting TM isle, Charles located it. He held it in his hand, admiring the disk. Gulping, he walked down the isle. Now in the non-everlasting TM section, something glinted out of the corner of his eye. Almost as if possessed he picked up two Hydro Pump TMs. If he bought all of this... Well he would have to find a source of income.

On his way to the counter downstair he picked up a few potions and one antidote, just in case. He set out everything he bought, and took out his wallet. He grew very self-conscious as he gave out his money. Peeking inside to seem what was left, he drew in a sharp breath. That would not suffice. But it would be fine for today. Stepping outside with his newly bought TMs, he headed straight out of town, he was going into the forest this time.

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
Alice Crenshaw
Mountains

Many minutes had passed since that battle against the Diglett and there was no sign of the Aron's Trainer. Alice was stroking the small Pokémon's metallic armor, while Jello and Grace looked around for any signs of human passerbys. But there was nobody around. The armored Pokémon's trainer might be in trouble as well! There were many reasons that Alice could come up with of why the trainer was nowhere around. But one thing was clear: staying there was no use. Somehow, they had to get a move on, but the injured Pokémon was too hurt to move and it was too heavy for Alice to lift. Trying to catch a strong Pokémon was out of the question as well, as the red-haired girl did not want to risk leaving Aron behind in case another Pokémon would come to attack it. There must be something in my bag that can help... she thought, then frantically began to search for something that would restore Aron's energy.

"Come on..." she growled, "Please... something..." She looked desperate as she looked through all the items in her bag. Potions were no use, since the Pokémon had fainted, and there were no Revives there... Then, suddenly...

"A-HA!" Alice happily exclaimed, and took out a Revival Herb from her bag.

She was aware that it was a very bitter herb that Pokémon disliked because of the flavor, but it was the only thing that could help at that moment. "Sorry about this, little guy, but it's all I got..." she said and brought the herb to Aron's tiny mouth. The small Pokémon ate the herb and looked disgusted. Then, all of a sudden, it leaped in the air, full of energy, as if the battle with Diglett had never taken place. Confused about what had happened, it turned around to see a red-haired girl with two Pokémon, and growled at them.

"S-Sorry, I know you didn't like that thing I gave you..." she mumbled, "B-But it was the only thing I had to revive you..."

Aron then let its guard down and walked up to Alice's leg, nuzzling it affectionately. Alice smiled, stood up and wiped some dust off her legs. "Aww, it's okay, you're welcome." she said with a smile and petted the tiny Pokémon's head. Jello then floated over to it.

"Listen, we need to get you back to your trainer." he said, "Do you know where he is?"

"I do..." Aron said, still feeling the bitter taste of the Revival Herb on its tongue, "We were training in a cave when suddenly a horde of Digletts came out of nowhere and attacked us. There were a lot of them. He told me to dig out of the cave and get help while he stayed behind and fought them off... I came all the way here, but one of the Digletts chased me... You know what happened then."

"Can you show us where the cave is? Your trainer could be in huge trouble..." Grace said.

"This way." Aron said, and led the group over to the hole he had made to escape the cave, "I don't remember where the cave was, but this is the hole that I dug to escape. It leads to where Mike was."

The hole was very small, however if Alice ducked and crawled everyone could get to the other side. "Come on, Alice, it's this way." Jello said telepathically. The red, haired girl nodded, got on her knees and crawled inside the hole after Aron and Grace had entered. Jello entered behind Alice to watch her six.

Dawn

Years
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valorie was rendered speechless as Kale... denied her. She seemed confused, temporarily unable to grasp that someone would leave her out here. That was so... wrong! How could someone do something like that?! For a very long moment the sheer shock left her speechless if not visibly frustrated as Kale went on to have an argument with... a pokemon. Valorie was decidedly too exhausted to stand there in the snow and argue in spite of how much what Kale'd said bothered her. As Kale turned back to her after seemingly having had a change of heart he would find that Valorie merely stared in a thoughtful manner. She was a bit tense, but seemed to relax as he relented in his harsh earlier response, moreso as he went out of his way to drape a scarf around her.

"I just want to get back to the academy." Valorie lamented in response to Kale's offer of hunting down the thieves. She knew exactly why they couldn't do that, on top of the fact that they had no way of tracking said thieves down.

Her feelings on the matter of Kale's initial rejection would be left unsaid, at least for now. Perhaps under less dire circumstances she would've condemned his actions on the spot, but there was a time and place for everything. Valorie trudged along behind Kale, trying her absolute best to keep pace as she entirely failed to notice he was slowing down for her. Only once Kale spoke did it occur to Valorie that he apparently wasn't exactly in a rush. Lifting the arm still being clutched by the wild honedge Valorie gave it a gentle shake as if trying to get it off of her as she began to explain. "...She won't let go." Valorie started in a frustrated tone. "She was--She attacked me and tried to drain my life force, but Shu used disable to stop her. I think she might still be disabled." Valorie went on in a now somewhat thoughtful if not subtly nervous tone. She of all people was aware of the unlikelihood of that being true, but that raised a much more unnerving question.

Why hadn't Honedge tried to finish the job?

As the two neared the afformentioned alcove an idea occured to Valorie, simple but reliable in practice. "If you could heal Shu... he's telepathic. He could ask her himself." she remarked, producing two pokeballs with her free hands. Valorie hesitated for a moment as she observed that the alcove was just a few moments away now. "He fainted trying to protect me from a wild pokemon." she added rather quietly, gaze watching Kale in search of something.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

Kale frowned lightly as the girl further explained the Honedge. "So what you're essentially telling me is that you don't know why it's gripping onto you?" Kale remarked rhetorically. "What a predicament..." Kale continued walking and thinking. Something the girl had said was bugging him. She just wanted to go back to the academy... even though her pokemon were presumably stolen... would she really abandon them like that? Kale had of course taken into consideration the fact that she may simply be a terrible trainer and/or person... however had she not just said that "Shu", whatever pokemon he was, had sacrificed himself to defend her? She could of course have been lying about that... but that could be said for any information she had given him... so for now, if he was taking everything she had said as true... why would a clearly decent and caring trainer care so little for the prospect of saving her stolen pokemon? There was only one potential answer that Kale could come to.

The girl wasn't telling him the whole story.

Aria padded along through the snow beside Kale, occasionally gazing up at her trainer. He hadn't responded directly to alot of what the girl had said... keeping his speech short and to the point. This didn't bother Aria of course, she was used to this kind of behavior from kale. But there was something off about the group they traveled with... that Honedge in particular. Aria shared its steel typing and as such held a sort of affinity for the other pokemons behavior... and even she had to admit that something wasn't right. She heard the girl mention something about healing her pokemon... allowing it to communicate telepathically with the Honedge to discern its purpose. She couldn't do it herself... she as a mawile wasn't capable of telepathy... but she was aware of a different method of communication... one of a higher power than regular telepathy... however if she knew her trainer at all... she was certain he'd revive the girls pokemon before even considering such a tactic.

Sitting in the underpass at long last upon a relatively large rock, Kale gestures for the girl to sit beside him as he removes his bag from his back. Should the girl have wished to she could have easily peered into the large bag as Kale wasn't exactly making any effort to cover it up. There wasn't much inside, some basic clothes were arranged neatly at the bottom, a few empty, basic pokeballs were scattered around here and there, clearly thrown in haphazardly as a last minute thought, jutting out of one of the inner side pocket was a very large envelope, filled to the brim with hard earned poke, though that was impossible to tell from the outside. Last but certainly not least amid the pokéballs and neatly placed on top of the clothes, a single medium sized black and blue box was placed.

Placing his bag on the ground, Kale removed the box carefully and opened it to reveal it's contents. It was quite literally brimming with survival supplies, mostly basic potions and bandades, however if one looked a little closer there appeared to be a few rare medicinals here and there, Kale removed one such ingredient, what appeared to be his only revival herb aswell as a bottle of clear mineral water before closing the box, placing it within and resealing the bag and then placing the bag back upon his back. "Here. This'll get your pokemon up." He said handing the girl the revival herb before placing the water on her lap. "That's for you. You're weak and tired... it's not much of a boon in reality, but at the very least you should keep yourself hydrated."

Kale looked at the girl more closely now. Without the wind and snow in the way he had a clearer view of her. If she weren't so tired and ill... she might have been quite attractive, blonde hair, big blue eyes... still Kale wasn't much for romance... especially not with some mountainside stray he had just picked up. Still... he didn't pick up any majorly bad vibes from the girl and he felt bad for his harsh treatment of her from earlier... it was Christmas after all and the one thing this girl needed more than anything was someone to lend her a helping hand. So... much to Aria's shock... Kale cracked a VERY slight smile and spoke in a VERY slightly warmer tone of voice.

"I'm Kale... by the way... and this little troublemaker..." Aria smiled and jumped onto Kale's shoulder as he spoke. "... is Aria... I don't believe I caught your name... do you mind sharing it?" Kale asked slightly awkwardly, he was absolutely terrible at social interaction... introductions especially... but hey, at least he seemed more open to trying now that he was burdened with guilt.

Dawn

Years
Valorie nodded in response to Kale's question; whom was she to pretend she knew why pokemon did any given thing? She certainly wasn't some sort of psychic, that was for sure--That's why she had Shu! Who better than a ghost to understand why terrifying blade-spirit monsters insisted on overstaying their welcome?! She would of course have to wait a bit longer on that one. She didn't much feel like overworking Shu, even if it was just to speak to another pokemon.

Valorie was silent, but not because she had nothing to say. She was still quietly coming to terms with Kale's initial decision to abandon her to the cold. Was she supposed to ignore that, simply forget it had happened? A part of her was hurt and that part of her very much wanted to confront the boy, but the more rational part of her knew there was a time and place for everything--But not now. She moves to sit down in the alcove. She wasn't thrilled about the cold ground underneath her but at least she was resting her aching legs. Crossing them before her she used her boots as a buffer between her knees and the ground. She supposed that was about as comfortable as she was going to get. Producing the two pokeballs from earlier she watched Kale with mild interest, allowing her train of thought to be diverted to the issue of reviving Shu.

As Kale approached her with objects Valorie looked up only to appear somewhat surprise as a waterbottle and a revival herb were placed into her lap. Somehow, she hadn't really expected much--Perhaps she was still sore over earlier. Valorie nodded, shifting her attention to the bottle of water. Did she really want this? Somehow she found the idea of drinking chilled water counterproductive, but a few moments of thought reminded her how warm people were and she nodded again in satisfaction.

"Thanks..." she replied in a slightly meek tone. Whether this was shyness or exhaustion wasn't clear. She began to try and open the water bottle, only to realize this was a somewhat complicated procedure without both hands to secure a grip and twist at the same time. The short, chilled and exhausted girl was clearly having a hard time with it. Kale's questions seemed to soothe her frustration however and distract her from her... greatest challenge yet. As she idly fiddled with the bottle she replied. Now that she was sitting she only seemed to be half awake, drawing a perhaps uncomfortable amount of attention to just how ready to physically collapse she actually was.

"My name is Valorie Ryder. I was a student at the academy before 'Team Rocket' dragged me off and locked me in their mountain base." Valorie replied in a somewhat friendly if not somber tone. "...Now they've somehow turned all my other pokemon against me and I don't know what to do anymore." she continued, her tone becoming hollow and exasperated. Crack! The seal of Valorie's water bottle snapped as she managed to twist the cap off. She took a moment to take a deep sip. This seemed to jog her out of her self-pity. "Oh..! This is Rex." she offers, simultaneously priming one of the pokeballs from earlier and releasing a tyrunt nearby. The pokemon looked tired, but it was certainly fighting fit. "I--um... I'm not good with nicknames, but I kind of forgot what his species is called." she admitted, only slightly defensive. Producing Shu's pokeball, she hesitated a brief moment to eye the dragon type pokemon. Rex was less than thrilled with the snow, but his response was simply to quickly move over next to Valorie and huddle up to her for warmth. Valorie in turn offered Kale a bashful smile as she leaned against the pokemon readily.

Producing her other occupied pokeball she this time aimed down at her lap for ease and released Shu. A golden human mask formed on her lap, which she promptly took and shifted to the side. "And... this is Shu. I just need to--" Valorie started as she began fiddling with the revival herb. How did she even use this thing? Did she... throw it at Shu's mask? Was that how this worked? Valore held the herb out, only for a shadowy tendril to reach out and snatch it as it got within a foot of the mask. The herb was enveloped by shadow after a moment, vanishing completely. The tendril retracted only for Shu's shadowy body to materialize out of the mask. If it hadn't been apparent already, he was a yamask.

"Uuuugh! What WAS that?! It tastes like--It tastes like a foot..! A really gross foot that has been stuck in a shoe over several hours of travel through a desert!" Shu's ghostly voice echoed in indignant disgust. Valorie just sort of... gawked slightly, restraining the urge to ask Shu if he had any idea what he was talking about. Shu looked around for a moment, gathering his surroundings before noticing the ever so slightly concerned look Valorie was giving him.

"...What?" he asked ever so innocently. "You wanted me to try and talk to her again?" he quickly adds in a matter-o-fact tone.

"Well, yeah! How'd you know that..?" Valorie asked in response, puzzled to say the least.

"I was ennervated, not deaf!" Shu replied in a teasing tone, only to get a rather blank stare in return. Valorie clearly had no idea what he had just said. After a moment Shu took advantage of the situation. "There is no rest for the dead~" he explained, doing his absolute best to feign a malevolent tone and simultaneously reaching out and wiggling his fingers in Valorie's general direction. The small girl's eyebrows shot straight up, her expression clearly a tad unnerved. She declined to comment, if not for her own dignity's sake. Shu chuckled light-heartedly before floating down to the blade clutching Valorie's arm. Suddenly he became tense, cautiously moving in as if to touch the blade but never quite doing so.

"Hey, why're you still here?" Shu asked in a slightly demanding tone. For a moment, he waited. "...She's ignoring me." he then explained, less than thrilled with this. He reached out and finally seemed to touch the cloth wrapped tightly around Valorie's forearm. A jolt of pain shot through Valorie causing her to emit an audible squeak and draw back, startling Rex a bit in the process. Valorie seemed a bit disorientated by the sharp pain and softly shook her head in an attempt to regain clarity with only mild success.

"Stop that! Can't you see she doesn't need this right now?!" Shu demanded again, rather irritated now. The sentient blade began to emit a shrill, metallic noise. "...We did what you wanted. Why are you still here?" She pressed, seemingly understanding the noise the honedge was emitting. For several long moments he merely listened.

"Uh-huh." Shu remarked casually as he continued to listen while a disorientated Valorie regained her senses more fully. "She says that she was searching for her family, and that she was forced from her home when that pokemon from before moved in. She says that you gave her closure and that leeching off of you has helped her cope." Shu went on to explain, once again disturbing Valorie who more or less felt a little violated right about then.

"She wants to keep on doing ...this. She wants to accompany you." Shu added after a long moment. Valorie's disturbed expression immediately shifted to one of anger.

"She tried to eat my spirit!" Valorie replied, entirely irate with the gall of this soul nibbling ghost. What did she look like, some sort of buffet? She was using that life energy!

Shu was silent for a moment as if torn by what he was hearing. "...She says she can help you find your way back." She said, clearly unsure what to make of the offer himself. This took Valorie off-guard, and while her first thought was that she really didn't want a parasitic pokemon clinging to her any longer than necessary she did have to reconsider because of their situation. Valorie turned her gaze on Kale, expression now slightly distraught. She didn't know what to do.

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
Alice Crenshaw
Mountains

The trek through the small hole was seemingly never-ending. What was more, Alice's limbs began to ache and she felt more and more cramped with every inch they moved. In the same way as one would need to get off the car for a while to stretch out during long trips, the red-haired girl was longing for a stop. I've been crawling through this hole for a long while... But I'm sure Aron's trainer is nearby, and that's what counts. she thought. And her thoughts were not mistaken.

All of a sudden, the Aron that had been leading them through the hole made a dash forward. Grace followed, and soon the four of them had come to a clearing. It was dark, but a Flash from Grace made it possible for everyone to see. Alice did not hesitate to stretch out her whole body and sigh in relief. Aron growled, urging everyone to stay quiet. "This way." he said coldly, and walked over to a cliff. He stood over at the edge of it and spoke up.

"You see that rocky path over there?" he asked, and both Jello and Grace nodded. "It wasn't there during the training. There must have been a cave in while I was out. Mike must be over there. Let's hurry."

Aron dashed along the rocky path, which led to a lower level in the cave. Grace followed running as fast as she could to keep up. "W-Wait up!" Alice exclaimed and sprinted after them, with Jello staying behind to ensure no harm could come to his beloved trainer. The group continued until they reached another clearing. There were holes and fainted Digletts everywhere, and there appeared to be someone there. It was a human, a boy! That must be the Aron's Trainer! But there was something wrong with this boy. He was on his knees, and looked exhausted. Aron barked to draw his attention.

"A-Aron... You're back!" he exclaimed, "And you brought help, too!"

Suddenly the ground began to shake violently. Alice fell on her knees, and so did Grace. Aron tried to keep his balance, while Jello... Well, he didn't have that problem. "Y-You... You gotta get out of here. This Pokémon is really vicious, and I can't take much longer... You have to escape while you still can!" the trainer said. Alice stood back to her feet, and bit her lower lip. She was feeling hesitant; the Pokémon appeared to be really vicious because of the quake it had made, and she wasn't sure of Jello and Grace could handle it. She didn't even know Grace's true powers, and Jello was worn out because of his previous battle with the wild Diglett! In spite of that, a feeling in her gut similar to the one she had when she engaged in battle with the wraith-man who had kidnapped her told her to stay and fight. Her hesitant expression turned to a one with eyes full of determination, and she took a step forward to where the Aron's trainer was.

"No way!" she shouted, "I made it all the way here, and I'm gonna fight!"

The ground shook once again, this time more violently. "I'm telling you, this one's tough! It's taken down almost all my Pokémon!" the male trainer said in response, "Get out of here while you still can! Once it comes out, you won't be able to run away!" Alice smirked, as having Grace's Teleport at her disposal made it able for her to escape whenever she saw fit. "Then we'll team up and defeat it!" she exclaimed, "Grace, Jello, go onwards!" The other trainer shook his head. "Tch...fine. We'll have it your way. Don't say I didn't warn you..." he said weakly, "Aron, Frogadier, go!"

Alice watched in surprise at the last Pokémon he mentioned. She had never heard of that Pokémon before, and she could see a blue, frog-like Pokémon. "Wow, I've never seen that Poké-" she said before she was cut off by yet another earthquake. "Waaah!"

"It's coming back! Watch out!" the male trainer exclaimed. Then, out of the ground popped a huge Dugtrio that looked berserk and blood-thirsty. "Frogadier, Water Pulse! Aron, Take Down!"

"Jello, use Psywave! Grace, um, you use, um..." she said, and tried to think of a move that a Ralts could use, "um...Confusion?" The other trainer looked at her puzzled. She doesn't know her Pokémon's moves? Oh, lord, we're both gonna end up stuck here... he thought. We're doomed...

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

Kale looked back into Valorie's eyes, his gaze was as steel, uncaring, cold and unflinching. He didn't even blink. Had Valorie stared long enough into them then she would undoubtedly see some form of emotion hidden under such a blank gaze. Something between concern, pity and contempt... though which exactly it was was nigh impossible to decipher... perhaps the most confusing part was that he could communicate such emotion through naught more than his gaze.

"So she was using you for her family... she dragged you to a cave guarded by a powerful pokémon in order to search for them..." Kale went over the information while nodding in the Honedge's direction, he then closed his eyes and averted his gaze while contemplating. "You do not wish to return for your pokémon... understandable if they are no longer allies. That being the case, I have given you what I said I would, I'm finished with-"

Kale cut off his speech as he once again caught Valorie's gaze upon opening his eyes. She was clearly confused... no plan of action... evident amounts of distress. She had been held captive, had her partners turned against her, had her energy sapped out by a selfish blade and... had almost had the only source of help she could find abandon her. How she wasn't bursting into tears was incredible to Kale. She had appeared weak to him at first... but perhaps the fairly manageable levels of her current weakness did nothing more than show her inner strength.

"...*ahem* I'm finished with... this place. You there, Yamask, you said that blade can lead the way to our next destination? Correct? Then we should let it do it's job." Kale stood up and shook himself slightly to remove any snow. He turned to Valorie then and her Tyrunt, Rex.

"I understand you're tired. But staying here will be of no assistance to you in the long run." With these words Kale turned to leave when he was pulled backward and unto the ground. "W... what?!" With a thud he fell on his behind, only to see Aria's massive jaws clamped around and opening his bag. "Aria... what are you...?" The small mawile growled. "Maw... Mawile!" Kale grimaced. "Is that really necessary?" Aria shot him a piercing glare and he sighed. "Alight... fine."

Kale rooted around in his bag and pulled out an article of clothing. A finely woven, woolen white jacket, warm, soft and nearly identical in every single way to the one he was wearing. He looked at it with extreme annoyance before closing the bag and slinging it back around onto his back. Frowning he throws it in Valorie's general direction while scrambling to his feet. "Here. Should help with the cold." With a deep sigh Kale turns around and starts to head out of the alcove into the harsh mountains.

"Stay close... and hopefully we'll be back at the academy soon."

Dawn

Years
Valorie didn't seem completely aware of the hidden emotions being conveyed from Kale's non-verbal language, or if she was she didn't show it in return. She merely watched Kale with a mildly puzzled look on her face as if noticing but not quite grasping the thoughts never quite breaching his lips. In truth, she simply did not trust what she was seeing. He had already tried to abandon her once and she couldn't simply forget that possible near death situation. What was with that look..? Was he using her somehow? Was his pokemon calling the shots here??

...She declined to confront Kale once again, as this was still really just an awful time to stop and have a conversation about that.

"She was expecting us to have actual pokemon to fight with. Hehe... That's actually kind of funny." Shu remarked in response to Kale's observation, his amusement only half-hearted. It might seem he considered himself Valorie's equal rather than one of her pokemon. Weird, perhaps? A shrill noise emitted from the blade in such a tone that almost seemed to convey passion in it's strength. "...No need to get personal." Shu seemed to reply, rather dismissively. He became aware of Kale speaking directly to him and turned his attention to the boy, red eyes slightly puzzled.

"...That sounds about right, but I usually leave that sort of decision up to this one!" Shu replied in his ghostly tone, ever so slightly flustered at having been put on the spot. He simultaneously gestured towards Valorie, revealing something clutched within the shadowy mass that was one of his hands. Upon inspection it appeared to be an everstone.

Valorie seemed slightly crushed at Kale's advice in comparison, eyes falling to the vampiric blade that wished to continue this parasitic relationship with her. To say she wasn't thrilled would've been an understatement and yet...

"Alright."

Valorie was admittedly rather somber. Could she live like this? Would this honedge push her over her, toppling her already poor condition into oblivion? She felt her arm involuntarily rise and shift directions to point the attached blade off into the distance. Well, that was convenient! She moved to return Rex to her ball. "...She hates the icy weather." Valorie explained, adjusting the scarf Kale had given her in preparation to depart. Shu in turn seemed to phase into her shadow, vanishing from sight.

As Valorie finished preparing to leave she observed Kale's conversation with his mawile, declining to comment for one of many reasons. Things started to become transparent to her once Kale threw a sweater to her that she awkwardly tried to catch. The tired and sick girl hesitated a moment before struggling to put the sweater on, mostly on account of the large blade she could not remove from her arm. With a little psychic magic on Shu's part however she managed to maneuver it over and past the blade without incident, shuddering in a sort of relief at the heavier clothing. Without furthr delay she sped up to meet Kale's side, at least slightly refreshed from her momentary rest.

Valorie observed Kale for a moment before her curiosity got the better of her. "I think she pointed us in the direction of the academy. It's over that way. ...It's complicated between you and Aria, isn't it." she remarked in a thoughtful tone as she gestured off into the distance. "Is this sweater special..?" she then asked, not having been oblivious to Kale's reluctance to give it to her.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

Kale was somewhat pleased that his sweater-jacket had lived up to its purpose. With the rest they had taken added on to the jackets warmth, Valorie seemed slightly more refreshed... so he was relieved to see that even though he was doing this job against his better judgment, at the very least, he was doing it well. The mountain air was not any warmer however and he hastened to escape it as soon as possible, he didn't know wether or not it could be trusted just yet... but for now they would have to put their fate in the Honedge's directions. At the very least Valorie seemed fairly confident in them, as confirmed by her next comment.

"I think she pointed us in the direction of the academy. It's over that way..."

Kale simply nodded in response. Seeing no reason to input further... however Valorie's next few words warranted a response from him.

"...It's complicated between you and Aria, isn't it?" She remarked in a thoughtful tone, while gesturing into the distance.

Kale didn't stop walking but he turned his eyes on the girl. He seemed to be looking down at her with some form of... resentment. What did she mean by that? What right had she to say that? She knew nothing of the relationship between Aria and himself so how could she possibly assume such things?... however the more he thought about it, the more his eyes shifted from resentment to understanding. Judging by what Valorie had seen of them thus far... which in essence wasn't far from the way he and Aria usually acted anyway... he could somewhat understand her questioning their relationship in the way she had. While Kale thought so deeply as he did on it, Aria didn't give much of a reaction to the comment at all, she was eyeing the Honedge leading the way suspiciously... almost as if she were ready to pounce on it at any moment. Pure distrust? Or steel type rivalry? Kale couldn't tell.

"Aria and I have known each other from her birth and my childhood respectively. We act a little strangely sometimes sure... but one of us has to be nice, so she keeps me on the right path at times." He grimaced at those words while he was sure Aria was smirking.

"We may seem to be at each others throats in certain circumstances... but when it comes down to the wire... we couldn't be closer. You should see us in battle we..." Kale trailed off as he realised he was actually talking quite a bit... his pokemon were one of the few things that could actually get him ranting. "*Ahem* Yes... we're quite proficient battlers." He sighed slightly and looked away, glad to be done with conversation for a while... however Valorie just had to keep asking him questions.

"Is this sweater special..?" She asked, Kale's eyes widened slightly as she did so. His expression darkening... but more in a way that showed sadness, rather than anger, annoyance or contempt.

"It's nothing special really." Kale pulled at the edges of his own jacket to further prove his point, it was almost identical to the one Valorie was now wearing... except it seemed to be made from weaker materials, it didn't have a woolen padding like Valories did and it looked to be at least a year or two old. while Valorie's appeared to be in mint condition. What was most surprising however was that even though you wouldn't think it from his unflinchingly cold personality, Kale's jacket was clearly much thinner and weaker being without the padding that Valorie's had. If that wasn't enough, other than the jacket all Kale seemed to be wearing was a thin cotton shirt underneath and a plain black denim pair of jeans. Along with a pair of black fingerless gloves, his large backpack and some hiking boots of course, but they hardly kept out the cold alone.

He must have been much colder than Valorie was by that point... freezing in fact... yet he didn't show any sign of weakness or change in attitude.

"The jacket I'm wearing was a gift.. something I wear all the time." Kale explains gesturing towards the jacket again, before gesturing towards Valorie's in turn.

"That jacket, the one you're wearing, was a gift aswell... but it's nothing more than a cheap knock off of the original... I don't even like looking at it to be honest." Kale trailed off. He had said more than he had had to... but he seemed to have a certain... passionate feeling in regards to the two jackets he and Valorie were wearing. It was obvious that he wasn't giving her the whole story. If one listened very carefully, Aria gave a quiet sigh as Kale finished, though it was mostly drowned out by the powerful mountain winds.

Kale stopped for a moment as yet another freezing cold gust blew by, it passed through his entire body, making him feel like his insides were ice, in response to this he tucked his hands under his arms for a few moments to warm himself up... thus showing his first sign of weakness to the cold since meeting Valorie. With slight annoyance in his voice he turns to her and the Honedge on her arm.

"I don't know the island very well, I've only been here a few hours myself but..." He trails off. "I don't suppose you have any idea how far we even are from the academy? Or how long you think it will take before you start recognising some landmarks maybe?" It was clear from his tone that he was becoming slightly fed up... but at the same time it didn't seem like the situation was really getting to him as much as it should have been.

Dawn

Years
Valorie seemed rather pleased as Kale explained his feelings toward his pokemon. One probably wouldn't expect even a slight smile from her in her current condition but she managed anyway... lips curling subtly up in a manner that could honestly be missed if one wasn't paying good attention.

Her ears could've never dreamed of picking up the virtually non-existant crunch of a stalking predator's feet, muffled entirely by the thick layer of snow.

Valorie seemed to take a single hint from Kale's irritation with her questions, and that hint was to close her mouth. She merely watched Kale, exhausted eyes showing some level of concern, gaze infrequently shifting to the vampiric blade for a brief moment's thought. It was only one Kale asked her a question that she next spoke.

"It's so hard to figure out where we are with all the snow..." Valorie remarked, slightly distressed in tone. Her gaze searched the grey skies to no avail. A snow white world spanned as far as the eye could see, an almost featureless world where nothing but hope could give them sustenance.

"Nnn--She says we're almost out of the mountains, about ten kilometers from town. The academy is much farther." Shu's disembodied voice echoes helpfully. "...Kilometers?" Valorie hesitantly asked in an appropriately frustrated tone. "...About six miles." Shu reluctantly translated. Valorie was... a tad daunted. Sure, she was a pokemon trainer--She had the legs to make the distance, but these weren't exactly ideal conditions! In fact, they were awful! She couldn't think of a worse condition to be in right now!

"...Great." Valorie responded, a bit of hope having left her tone. As she continued to trudge on, arctic winds causing her scarves to trail erratically behind her, she couldn't help but wish for a pokemon that didn't mind the weather to come and whisk them away to a place where the hot cocoa flowed like water.

Valorie sighed, allowing herself to relax a little--Just enough to speak casually. "I wonder what my parents are doing." she remarked, seeming to speak to thin air. In reality she was of course taking a much more passive route to attempting conversation. "If... If it's really Christmas I--I guess I've been gone for a long time." she quickly continued, thinking aloud. Had... there even been a search team? Had anyone noticed she'd been missing, or did they just think she was training vehemently as she always had? Had they given up? Had her friends and family been forced to move on?! Memories of faces she desperately longed to see flashed before her eyes--It was getting harder to remember exactly how they looked. Details became lost in time and she found herself greatly distressed by this. Shaking her head she assured herself that she was simply too young to die, and therefore she wouldn't.

"I had a pokemon I raised from an egg." Valorie began. "She was a dratini, my second pokemon. I got her one night from a trainer--They didn't have the time to raise her themselves, and they gave her to me because... because they knew how how much I wanted a dragon type pokemon. ...I remember training with her in weather like this--But it was never this cold... It never felt this cold, anyway." she reminisced out loud. She seemed to be trying very hard to hide the fact that this memory was painful for her, but if one looked closely they would see tears now mixed with the falling snow. Valorie fell silent as she attempted to quell her emotions. She very much did not want to be seen like this, burying her face in her scarves for the moment being. Weakness wasn't something she intended to be known for. This was... unacceptable. She prayed the snow hid her pain well enough from Kale's radars.

Crunch!

The sound of pounding, heavy feet against snow was finally faintly audible as something rapidly closed the distance between themselves and the group.

Crunch, crunch, crunch!

"Look out!" Shu called out, startling Valorie out of her thoughts. The ghost had turned upon the sound of none other than Haxorus sprinting towards Valorie. Crash! Haxorus slammed into the timely shield Shu generated with his protect at full force, further startling Valorie and causing her to fumble with her pokeball as she struggled to produce a response to her attacker. Haxorus sprung back slightly, crouching back down and eyeing the teen in a predatory manner. To say Valorie appeared terrified would've been an understatement. Quick to awkwardly throw out Rex, Valorie cringed as Haxorus immediately confounded her attempts at protecting herself with speed, headbutting straight through Shu's next attempt at protecting them devastate Rex with a dragon claw attack from her head-axe that sent the poor pokemon flying through the air where he fainted mid-flight.

Valorie looked around in an attempt to find somewhere to hide or lose the apex predator in but of course found nothing. Haxorus had waited until the most ideal moment to strike, and now..? Valorie was understandably having a panic attack right about then, desperately searching for something to give her an edge here. She'd completely forgotten about Aria. Her arm however, had a mind of it's own. The honedge attached to Valorie's arm raised itself and abruptly yanked her forward to stab at Haxorus' thick reptilian armor. The move seemed to knock Haxorus off balance, shattering a plate of armor and inflicting a wound underneath. Valorie's eyes widened in horror of what she was seeing done to what was by all rights her own pokemon, but it took only a moment for Haxorus to shrug it off and smack the blade away with her head, axes glowing with a dark power. The blow was enough to send Honedge flying, but Valorie's meager added weight stopped it. Instead the blade yanked Valorie off balance by her arm, painfully pulling a muscle in the process. She emitted a yelp and clutched at her arm, stunned into inaction.

It seemed Valoie had become a damsel in distress yet again. She needed saving, and judging by how vicious and absurdly fast Haxorus had been it didn't seem like Kale would get a second chance if he hesitated now.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

"Aria."

Kale's voice resonated throughout the frozen landscape. No fear, no confidence, just absolute calm and although it was unlikely anybody would have had the time to look... Kale's face was also a mask of calm, his eyes burning with a bright determination beneath a myriad of completely unbiased and calm features besides. Aria had almost exactly the same expression, save for a slight aggression in her eyes and a devious smirk pulling at the edge of her mouth.

What happened next was truly a sight to be seen, without any prior commands from Kale, Aria seemed to know exactly what he wanted... as if they were in nigh-perfect sync with one another. As the raging Haxorus charged violently towards Valorie... it prepped a dragon claw, clearly intending to rip the girl in two, moments before impact however, a flash of silver and cream seemed to almost "appear" between the two, leaping in front of the huge pokémons talons... Aria.

The full powered dragon claw connected with Arias outstretched palm and the two pokémon froze in place for only a brief moment. Suddenly, the dragon type attack was launched back, throwing the Haxorus off balance as the inner strength of Aria's fairy typing repelled the attack.

Almost silently and very calmly, Kale stood behind Aria and directly in front of Valorie. He peered down at her with an expression of annoyance.

"You sent your tyrunt out against a Haxorus? What were you thinking?" He tuts slightly and turns to the problem at hand, the Haxorus. Having recovered from it's lack of balance, it roars with an unleashed bestiality. What was causing its anger? What did it want? Was it just hunting? Kale was in no mood to care.

"Haxorus! I'd ask that you leave at once, I'd rather not end this with harm coming to you." He calls out, only to be met by a roar and a scolding mawile. "Maw! Mawile!" Kale sighs at this. "Perhaps you're right... we should just get this over with now!"

With his first full on smile since meeting Valorie (a dark one at that), Kale tosses his large backpack gently to the side and stands his ground, his jacket begins to blow violently in the roaring winds and his already ruffled hair does the same.

"Alright... Aria! Let's show this dragon how fairy's can play rough!"

Crying loudly and catching the Haxorus off guard, Aria rushes forward with glowing pink fists and with violent efficiency, she pounds a number of powerful hits right into the larger pokémons stomach, before barreling backwards using her massive jaws as a spring pad to launch off of the Haxorus' head.

Landing gracefully in the snow, Aria turns to face the now enraged and seriously injured dragon pokémon. "Aria, prepare yourself!" Kale cries as the beast charges forward, it's large horns primed to drive through Aria with a headbutt.

"Now... leap!" With his words, Aria uses her jaws to once again launch from the ground, directly skywards. The confused Haxorus quickly tries to turn, but slips on the frozen ground and clumsily begins to try and regain its balance... just the chance Kale had been looking for.

"Aria... now! Fairy wind!"

With fierce determination, the small mawile begins to spin rapidly in the air, the cold mountain wind wrapping around her and changing color until she resembled a miniature pink tornado.

"Maaaaw.... WILE!"

With a final cry Aria bursts free of the wind and shoots it violently towards the struggling Haxorus, unable to move in time with it's current footing the wind strikes it directly and manages to hurl the large dragon type backwards, it's body crashing violently into the ground as it falls.

Kale quickly catches the now exhausted Aria as she too falls from the sky. That done he glances over at the Haxorus. It lay motionless on the ice... the battle appeared to be over. "...Maw..." Kale snaps to attention. "Right... Valorie."

Kale rushes over, with clear concern until a few paces before the girl, holding himself back before reaching her and slowing to a more reasonable pace before stopping in front of her. After the ordeal... and now that he was paying direct attention to her, Kale could see the tear stained face that Valorie had so desperately tried to hide earlier... and he understood her more for it. She really was upset about her pokémon and the incredible series of unfortunate events to befall upon her. He didn't know what to say to her... she was going through a living Hell basically... he wondered how long she had been kidnapped... what they'd done to her... if anybody was even looking for her.

"..." He looked at her deeply for a moment, unable to speak, for the first time his eyes showing an actual emotion.

Sympathy.

Years
Kayla Makihatayama

Kayla frowned and sighed. "I don't... What do I do?" she asked. "They used to get along so well... I should go talk to her... She probably won't even listen to me." Kayla hugged Shawn and sighed again. "Wish me luck," she whispered. She walked away, following Holly's tracks. After a few minutes, she found Holly curled up into a tiny ball in the snow. "Holly?" Kayla asked. Holly looked up, her eyes red and puffy and her nose bright red. "What do you want?" she asked angrily.

Kayla sat down next to her and wiped her tears away. "I want to know what's wrong," she said softly. Holly looked away. "Nothing... Just leave me alone," she muttered. Kayla shook her head. "I didn't come here to leave you alone. Now tell me what's wrong. And hurry, because we need to find Amy." Holly shook her head. "I don't want to talk to her. Just let her go," she said angrily. Kayla groaned and stood up. "Fine. I'll just leave you here. But don't come crying to me later, Holly." Kayla stomped back to Shawn angrily and shook her head. "She's being stupid..."

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
Alice Crenshaw
Cave

The battle with the vicious wild Dugtrio had been going on for quite a long while now. Jello was struggling to stay fighting, and Grace was starting to grow tired as well. With no super-effective moves at her disposal, Alice had no choice but to strike the foe with Psychic attacks and hope that it would go down and end the battle. The other trainer's Pokémon were getting tired as well. Despite his Frogadier having a type advantage, the Dugtrio could withstand attacks like Water Pulse quite easily.

"Grr... This is no good." he said, "It's 4 against one, but this one's really tough!"

"I-I know..." Alice said, "But we have to keep on trying! Jello, Reflect! Grace, um, Double Team!"

"Glad to see that you finally got to know your Pokémon's moves." the trainer said sarcastically.

"Let's focus less on jokes and more on this mad Pokémon, shall we?" she replied in a similar tone, and the male trainer chuckled. "Frogadier, Water Pulse! Aron, Protect!"

The Water Pulse forced the mad Dugtrio to move a few inches backwards, but it still looked upset and with plenty of energy to battle. The other three moves, however, would set up a defense in case it decided to strike them. Which it did. Dugtrio attacked with Magnitude, making the earth below the trainers and their Pokémon shake slightly. Ha! It wasn't very powerful! Alice said to herself, smiling. "Jello, Psywave! Grace, Double Team, again!" she commanded. The male trainer looked confused about her strategy, but shrugged it off and called out his next command. "Aron, Iron Defense! Frogadier, Water Pulse!"

All Pokémon were about to do as told: Grace started to create more illusory copies of herself to raise her evasiveness, Aron was getting ready to harden its surface to endure attacks more easily, and Frogadier was charging a powerful Water Pulse attack. However, before Jello could launch his attack, the wild, vicious Dugtrio charged at him and attacked with a very powerful Sucker Punch, which sent him flying back against a wall of the cave. Having been already tired from the long battle and the previous one, he was unable to keep going, and Alice had no choice but to return him to the Pokéball.

"You did good, Jello, now return." she said, her face looking less confident now. All commanded attacks then took place. Both trainers were then ready to shout out their next command. But with one less team member, and the mad Dugtrio with a lot of energy to keep on battling, would they be able to succeed? Or would both trainers be trapped in the cave for the rest of their lives?

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
Shawn Williams - Raikou Dorm
Outside

Shawn stood there, waiting for Kayla to return. She had gone to talk to Holly about her altercation with Amy. "Why do families have to fight so much?" he thought to himself. After a few minutes, Kayla returned stomping towards him. Evidently her talk didn't go well, saying that she was "acting stupid". Shawn simply gave her a hug and gently kissed her cheek. "Its ok, honey," he told her, "I'm sure you did what you could. Let her calm down some more first before we try again." He turned in the direction that Amy walked and pointed to the sky. "Lets try Amy. Hopefully, she'll be more receptive," he said before walking in that direction.

Zapper, meanwhile, glided around and soon found Amy. She seemed to be stopped and crying. She flew overhead and used her stored electricity to glow brightly in the sky to signal Shawn that Amy was nearby.Afterward, the little Emolga glided to her quickly and landed near her with a concerned look across her face. She gingerly approached the girl and gently tapped her leg, saying "Molga?", trying to see if Amy would want her company.

Dawn

Years
Valorie froze up where she stood, unable to keep up with Haxorus' speed. Had she performed a dragon dance before approaching them..? It certainly seemed like it, and Valorie would know--That was her pokemon. To her relief Aria stepped in and brought down the mighty dragon finally, leaving Valorie with a mere fright to last her the entire week. She was still recoiling from her start when Kale approached her, eyeing Haxorus with a sort of horror and disbelief. She was still absorbing what had just happened, processing the events.

That, and her aching arm was making it very hard to think. It was a very sharp pain that threatened to steal her breath away and it only got worse as she released the breath she'd been holding in. Suddenly a psychic aura grasped her arm, lifting it just enough to counteract gravity. Valorie sighed in relief as the pain slowed to a distant soreness. She could think clearly again.

Her gaze focused on Kale's concerned eyes, but his sympathy was met with puzzlement followed quickly by a sort of disappointment. She quietly averted her gaze down at Haxorus, attempting to avoid discussing the moment they'd just shared. Subtle shame burned through her.

"Thanks--All of you." she offered weakly, her voice audibly shaken from the earlier experience. She clearly wasn't used to being attacked like this. She looked back and forth briefly, gesturing at the fallen haxorus. "That was one of my pokemon. She--She was always stir crazy if I didn't let her hunt, but she would never do this. She'd never attack a human... I made sure of that." she explained in a somber tone, simultaneously moving forward and cautiously leaning down to inspect the fallen pokemon. Her eyes slowly moved over Haxorus, searching for something--Anything really. To her dismay there was no mind control collar to be found, no rubber mask hiding the gardner underneath. She was left without answers, including a far more immediate problem.

What did she do about her precious pokemon? Haxorus was clearly down, but could she just leave her there in the snow? It felt wrong. She needed a potion, but a part of Valorie knew Haxorus could simply get back up and keep attacking them. She seemed torn, unable to make a decision.

...Overwhelmed.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years

Kale could only stand with a sort of distinct and unusual sadness in his expression as he realised the situation in it's entirety... this Haxorus was one of Valorie's old pokémon, turned against her by team rocket. It was a knowing sadness on his face... one that would have conveyed a sense of fellowship, or brotherhood, "I know what this feels like", it would have said. Though Valorie would never see it as she fretted over her fallen friend... fallen traitor. His head was hung low aswell, so one would have to stand almost directly below him to see his expression anyway... a position Aria the mawile now filled while sitting in his arms... quietly she spoke to her trainer, hopefully out of Valorie's earshot.

"Maw... wile..." Her voice was a murmur due to her exhaustion. Kale just sighed in response. "Maw..." Aria's persistence only served to make him sigh again before a few words left his somber lips.

"I know... but it's difficult."

Hesitantly, Kale walked over to Valorie. He could tell just by looking at her that she was overwhelmed, she clearly loved this pokémon... it was her friend, she wanted to help it but... if she did, then what would happen? The most likely outcome? It would attack again. So did she take the risk of their lives? Or leave her friend alone in the snow? If Kale was forced to make that decision could he make it? Doubtful.

But perhaps there was another way, nay, Kale knew for a fact there was another way. It was just incredibly risky to everyone involved, he and Aria included. So he didn't exactly see it as a worthwhile choice, yet still he was considering it. Kale didn't like Valorie all that much it was true... but he didn't like anybody that much when he first met them, plus Valorie was an odd one when compared to other people being incredibly strong while showing some weakness, it honestly impressed Kale quite alot. He could relate to her slightly aswell, he had experienced betrayal in the past and it was the most painful feeling of all... especially when committed by someone close. Finally Kale recalled the nigh-horrible thing he had done earlier, he had almost left Valorie (practically for dead) to fend for herself on the harsh Winter mountains... on Christmas no less.

Taking all of the relevant facts into account... Kale did something odd. He decided to, for the first time in his life, do something selfless for someone he had just met.

He placed a hand on Valorie's worrying shoulder and knelt down beside her. He spoke quickly, not in any mood to repeat himself.

"If you give me a chance here... I might be able to help you... but what I do to help, if anything, is something that you can and will never repeat to anyone. Do you understand? " Without even giving her a chance to answer, he quickly pulled out the only non bitter reviving item he had, a single "Max Revive" he had received as a gift a few months prior to entering the academy, it was a better choice than another revival herb... after all they couldn't afford to aggrivate Haxorus further. He held it in front of Valorie to show her what it was.

"If you let me, I can... communicate with Haxorus. You said she was your pokémon right? There doesn't seem to be any mind control devices used here, nothing that could force this pokémon to turn on you... there must be another reason and I think I might be able to find out what that is..." He paused and looked over the sleeping giant that lay before them.

"For the sake of safety... I want you, the blade and the yamask to try and hold down Haxorus' arms and legs... Aria can use her jaws to pin down her head, neck and... "axes"." He paused again, trying to find the right wording. "I'll go by her head and feed her the max revive. Once she's awake I'll... talk to her... like I can do with Aria."

He shifted his gaze as if extremely uncomfortable. "This is... incredibly risky... and if I feel it's not going well then I won't hesitate to knock her out a second time but..." He paused. "The only other alternatives are risking her attacking us again or leaving her in the snow to d... where her fate is in the hands of Arceus." He held his tongue, he was saying more than he would have liked but it was a desperate situation.

"It's up to you in the end... underneath everything that's happened to her she's your pokémon, no other trainer has a right to call her their partner. I'll only do this if you tell me to, it's your call."

Back