• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do we ROM-hack?

Do you love hacking? Please be honest......

• Yeah, I sure do!

Votes: 598 91.7%
  • Nah... Not interested...

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • I Just Wanna Play Hacks

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
There are now many ROM-hacks around here in PC which is very nice and shows a lot of hard work from the hackers, themselves, either with their respectful and cooperative team, or their inspiration in doing things solo.

To all of you, share with us, why do you wish to ROM-hack? :3

Spoiler:

Last edited:

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2020
Well i normally learn to hack for fun and i also do it because i got bored when i completed pokemon diamond

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I do it as a Hobby, my Parents don't mind it, in fact my Dad thinks it's pretty cool.
When I discovered Pokémon Hacking, I became Addicted to it. It helps me not
be all depressed and stuff.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
I do it because I have lots of ideas that I can put into them, and it's a good way to pass the time. mentally stimulating

Years
I like to hack because you can make your own game. You make the Pokemon Game, that you want it to be. It won't be what Nintendo considers a good game, it will be your ideas put into it.

But then there are other rare times when I just can't stand it. Sometimes, I just feel like quitting.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hey, thanks everyone for sparing time in posting. It cleared my head a little now. :D

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Well, I love anything that relates to videogames, I've grown with them, so it's not rare that I'd love to make my own videogames. So, I started with the basic: RPG Maker (yeah, I'm a RPG fan, in case you've forgotten), and I did my own stuff and I had lots of fun with it. That, till I tried to make a Pokémon related game, and that's when things didn't go so good (lots of effort were needed), and then a comment said that RPG games sucked, and hacks were better, so I, feeling insulted, decided to give hacks a try, and, what would you know? I find it a lot more entertaining! :D

Of course, things weren't as easy at first, but I've kept hacking for a few years now (with a big break between), and I think I'll keep hacking for a few more years now, that, till I get bored of Pokémon (I doubt I could hack anything else...)

So, basically, I hack because I love it! The feeling of watching the changes you make to the game is something indescribable! <3

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Well, I hack to show others that you can do anything, if you want to do it badly.
Like I, Learned to script with hex(thanks to the help of Blazichu, and The dude),

So really, I didn't need a tutorial or anything, I had to learn by myself(and with some help from BC and The Dude). Other than hack, I mean that, I hack for the Heck of it.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
Years
Why do we hack? A simple question that has no right or wrong answer. I hack because its a fun thing to do. When I feel bored, I'll decide to read over some tutorials. And then with enough knowledge, eventually, all of us can make a hack that's so good, people think its real. We hack because we love Pokemon and want to make a game with what we want in it. We hack for friends to enjoy. Sometimes, people hack for profit because they're cheapskates. Overall, I'd say because it's fun. It can be a hobby. It gives people something to do if they aren't athletic. And mainly, because it is fun.

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
I hack because its a good stress reliever and it feels good to have people like your work. I also like to do it to make a game better than a game made by Nintendo, whether it be story or features

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 17, 2023
I tryed hacking myself, but I could never keep the attention span. :P
Anyway, I belive people hack as a creative outlet. It's just like drawing or singing, it lets you put your ideas out ther and work with something you enjoy. Not to mention it lets you put what you've always wanted to see in a pokemon game, in. Although this concept has started to fade away as we are seeing more and more noobish hacks. And not to sound like a Shiny Gold fan boy here, but look what Zel has done. It really shows his passion, versus the slight mapping changes people are trying to pass as hacks. >.>

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
When I was little I would come up with all kinds of ideas for Pokemon. My friends and I would always discuss the perfect regions and the perfect game. Ironically we even dreamed of a program on the computer that would allow you to make Pokemon games; I simply thought it was all a silly dream. Then, one holiday weekend I started playing roms of games I hadn't seen in a long time, when I found a game I hadn't seen before; a Pokemon game set in the Orange Islands (no it wasn't Naranja, it was for the GB). I was crazy about it! I wanted to know how they did it! I searched and searched and finally I found tutorials on rom-hacking. I get better and better and let my creative juices flow from my brain into my games! To me, Rom-hacking is a dream come true.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Why do we hack?
Well we do rom-hacking because we like it, we like it as in various ways. Some do it as a profession and some do it as a hobby. We wan't to create new idea's for games and show them in our games. In simple, we wan't to be game creators. Meh...I do it cos I like it, and we do get alot of knowledge from rom-hacking. Only people who are very talented can only rom-hack so good. example-zel...he's my idol XD Because of him I started hacking and got interested. At first I didn't even know what it meant but as soon as we know, we want to do it.

~Celebi

~*Pikafan*~

Man I gotta stop leaving!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
^Almost everything in that post is what I was going to put in my post. What a coincidence (or however you spell that word, I never know how...)

The main reason why I hack is because I want to put my game ideas into the actual game. I want to make something really good and have some of the best ROM Hackers out there see it and like it, too. But that will be in a long, long, LONG time because I still don't know how to script and a lot of things.

Gilgameish

Team Avion *****
Years
Because I love making games, they are like books(which I also write) that are interactive and the characters often have a real effect on the player. I know Final Fantasy 8 did for me. Of coarse, I am also a hopeless Pokemaniac. That Helps :D

Yellow Magikoopa

Doin' the electric slide
Years
I hack because for some reason, I've always had an endless train of ideas once i put my mind on something, especially when it comes to games. I still have sketches of custom Mario levels in the back of my closet from when I was 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back