• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Genre in Video Games!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
There's a bunch of different genres out there when it comes to video gaming. All of them are favorited depending on the person playing the game. Whether you are a person who enjoys puzzles, driving a race car with your trusty steering wheel, loves to KILL ALL DA ZOMBIEZ, or save the princess from a monster. Every genre is unique and has its awesomeness!

What are your favorite/preferred genres in video games?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
^ you never told us what your fave genre was. :p

Well, mine's gotta be hack n slash. DMC3 single-handedly made me fall in love with this genre. What appeals to me the most is the fact that I can kill stuff while looking stylish. This 'stylish' combat is what made me feel like a badass whenever I played one of these games. And I loved the feeling too much. <3;

Before that, I used to like racing (not the simulators; arcade racers were the ones I managed to play so that's what I liked) and platformers (Super Meat Boy is awesome. I still play it almost on a daily basis). Aaand I was into shooters in 2003-2005 but then I stopped playing them. Puzzle based games are interesting too. But haven't played much besides Portal, Portal 2 and Quantum Conundrum so..yeah.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I... don't have a favourite genre, to be honest. I simply play the game for its unique appeal and I don't believe genre should come into play when choosing a game. For example, I enjoy Borderlands 2 which is primarily a shooter and RPG just as much as I enjoy Magic! The Gathering which is a card game. I can't then proclaim that my favourite genre is shooter, RPG, or card games because I've played other games in those categories which didn't agree with me. So, to me, genre isn't really a factor - it's more about the execution of the overall gaming concept and if the idea and the concept will actually work.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I like sports games, particularly FIFA... and I like the adventure aspect of things like Assassin's Creed and Drake's Fortune but not the killing aspect. Killing is just gruesome/boring/repetitive and I don't think it's in our nature as humans to kill, we're more about running and climbing and swimming and jumping to avoid predators or play hide and seek (actually, a hide and seek multiplayer online game could be absolutely brilliant, in a huge open gameworld with superhuman characters). It's the feeling of suspense that I like with those games, you never know what's around the corner. As for FIFA, I particularly like how much control you have over the animations of the players, it really allows for a deeper gaming exerience than I've ever known because you have to think about tactics, you have to plan your next move, you have to plan what your opponent is about to do, you have to know what buttons to press, when to press them, react to things as they happen, and so much more - my mind is kept fairly busy when I'm playing FIFA and for that reason, it's the only game where I can feel truly immersed.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I like sports games, especially baseball and hockey. I also like shooters, especially WWII shooters (Medal Of Honor oh yeahh). The only games you'll never find me playing are Puzzle and Dance - unfortunately I have very little interest. :(

Years
I like platformer/adventure games most, since it was the genre I grew up with.

Racing games come a close second, since I liked how some have strategies you can utilize.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I love RPGs. Mainly for the stories of them, but also because of the slow game play. I like the battles and the stats changing on my characters as I explore an interesting world/story line.

Though my favorite games to pick up and play are platform games. That was the genre I grew up in, with Super Mario Land 2 and Spyro, for example.

Years
I'm a big fan of sports video games, with hockey, soccer and football coming out on top. I know that a lot of people say that games like Madden are just roster updates with one or two new modes, but looking at something like Call of Duty, all the sequels generally are new maps, a few new weapons and one or two new modes.

I also like individual games from other genres (like Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Pokemon), but sports games are the only ones where I'll basically play anything there is to offer.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
First person shooter games are good. COD etc. Other then that, RP/Adventure games are good as well. Oh and sandbox games, I dearly love, a lot.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 18, 2013
RPG such as pokemon (obviously lol)
Platformer such as Sonic The Hedgehog
Fighting such as Street Fighter
Shooter such as Call of Duty

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
my favorite genre would definitely be role playing gaming. This genre ,IMO, takes more work and dedication to be good at.

It takes quite some time to level your character, get him the perfect build you have been meticulously and fervently planning and working toward, to get the same build worked to muscle memory so that you can execute moves buffs and maneuvers without much thought. The amount of time and gray matter needed can be mind boggling.

Also RPG's tend to have an involving mythos, either through the traditional story line,side quests, optional information hubs and recourses, or through the culture itself that the world houses. Even games that can be seen to have no story such as Monster Hunter actually have a story in that the story exists in the adventure that the gamer goes through and the small tidbits of information revealed in the quest dialog that many tend to overlook.

Lastly, the burgeoning multi-player aspect of the RPG seen both in MMORPGS and smaller scale multi player RPG's are a delight to play. The challenge this genre offers brings forth a sense of competitiveness and drive towards being as close to perfection as possible makes for a very engrossing and engaging experience.

RPG,JRPG,ARPG,SRPG,MMORPG,etc FTW

NatureKeeper

If I had to absolutely choose one, I say Platformers. However, truthfully, it is a tie between platformers, kart racers and sandboxes.

Back