• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Whatever the new map is, I hope travelling through there is not as linear as BW. Which was good, but I'd perfer alternate routes for alternate gym badges (still out of 8)?

Guy

just a guy
Years
I hope there are lots of routes and cities, Unova wasn't as good as Hoenn as Unova had very few towns, cities and routes. They were bigger, but...
They were sort of dull and forgettable, right?

Unova was just so straight foward and it lacked the variety to make it a really interesting region altogether. Each town and city didn't seem all that different to me, with the exception of Castelia City. They all just seemed to blend.

You mention Hoenn, which I think is one of the most diversified regions. I loved the different cities and towns like Fortree, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog. Sure, there was a lot of water routes, but the variety in the locations made up for that in my opinion. This is something I hope we get to see again in the X and Y region. Not towns that look too bland or one big city that got too much attention, but a region that is filled with culture, color, and variety. Plus, a lot of different routes to take us to each of these areas. It's supposedly set in France, but there are a lot of other European countries and cultures they can pull ideas from if they really wanted to.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
... :(

I found Unova cities unique and I remember all of them very well! For me Hoenn was the forgettable one. XD; I'd hate for it to be completely like Hoenn, because the cities were so boring and tropical and idk, lacking Unova's spark. I'd love to see them designed like Colloseum tbh, and from what we've seen that doesn't seem impossibleee!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
They were sort of dull and forgettable, right?

Unova was just so straight foward and it lacked the variety to make it a really interesting region altogether. Each town and city didn't seem all that different to me, with the exception of Castelia City. They all just seemed to blend.

You mention Hoenn, which I think is one of the most diversified regions. I loved the different cities and towns like Fortree, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog. Sure, there was a lot of water routes, but the variety in the locations made up for that in my opinion. This is something I hope we get to see again in the X and Y region. Not towns that look too bland or one big city that got too much attention, but a region that is filled with culture, color, and variety. Plus, a lot of different routes to take us to each of these areas. It's supposedly set in France, but there are a lot of other European countries and cultures they can pull ideas from if they really wanted to.

That's what I'm hoping for.

It's not that I didn't like Unova's cities, I mean I love Castelia, but I think Hoenn was great because almost every city was unique. From the markets and beach of Slateport, the warm relaxing feeling of Lavaridge, the fresh and green feeling of Verdenturf to the nature feeling of Fortree, Hoenn was a smorgasbord of environments to explore. That's what I want, and that is why I think a lot of people want a remake of R/S as well.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yeah, I dunno, Unova is Hoenn Deux in terms of variations, and the routes are the best in the series. If we're strictly taking BW Unova its agreeable, but B2W2 Unova is one of the best efforts for a region yet. Not to mention, if anything, Unova is the first region with specific music for all cities/towns, which in itself makes it unique. If its the direction the series is going, then so be it, if not just a tad tweaking would make it perfect.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hoenn had different music for several cities as well, Verdanturf and Fortree come to mind. Anyways I think it'll be cool if the region had Hoenn's ecological variety but with Unova's city size, just this time add something to the cities, Unova was really lacking that the only cities I enjoyed visitiing were the three cities in the middle (Castelia, Nimbasa, Opalucid).

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2013
that would be cool if you were able to interact in the train/plane whatever. not like the subway system, but a cool thing like a look out or maybe part of the story invoves being in traansportation system. :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Talking of a look out, I'd like to see something along the lines of the Aspertia look out again. :) It was really nice to see the area in the far distance!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I hope it's not like Hoenn. I prefer industrial areas.

Funny that people are comparing Unova to Hoenn, as I thought they were two extremes of the same issue. Unova is quite simple to navigate and may not have the sense of getting lost, but Hoenn had very poor path issues which stem from its lack of linearity. I recall that, to get to Meteor Falls you need to take the Fiery Path to Fallarbor, then a route to the left and the south. After you return the Meteorite to Prof. Cozmo, you have two options: do a circle route all the way back to Mauville and to the Fiery Path entrance, where the cable car is located (which is what I think you're supposed to do because there are trainers to fight north of Rustboro), or do the reverse path from Fallarbor through the Fiery Path and then the cable car, which is quite long as well. To make matters worse, you didn't even have Fly at your disposal at that point in the game. It was one of the most glaring examples of poor routing in all of the Pokémon games. Then Hoenn also had the useless Pacifidlog Town and that dreaded route of doom with the fast currents which takes ages to explore without a walkthrough. In light of that, I definitely prefer Unova's approach.

Well, at least Hoenn had the merit of not making the Town Map completely useless. :D

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Hoenn did not make the town map useless, if you didn't know where you were going after Mauville you could easily get lost. Unova is the one that made the map useless, the descriptions showed up even without visiting it, which was a nice thing other town maps did. Visit city/town get local description, now read. Another feature I want back however is the city/town road layout with important buildings. That was pretty fun to have, even if useless. God, BW cut so much out..

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I look forward to the evil team despite what I said on twitter of chances that there might not be an evil team :x

Why would you say that? =O

Unless maybe they won't be as evil as say, Team Rocket? I dunno, Team Plasma didn't really catch me as 'evil' either (apart from Ghetsis) so maybe they'll be like them?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Evil team headed by the Professor. Genetics playing a role, would lead the professor's studies down a dark road, with you being her pawn for most of the way. Too dark perhaps for Pokemon where the professor is usually your mentor, but I would love it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well I mean not evil team but just a bad team, really. There's so many other things that we could be fighting against - racing against the time to stop evil Pokemon, etc, it doesn't necessarily have to be a human/team.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Pokemon do have willpower, so that can be possible. =O Liiike... what if the evil pokemon were the legedaries? And yes, before anyone says "but pokemon can't be truly evil" yes, that's normally true, but it can still be possible... sorta.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, the third could be worse than Yveltal and Xerneas combined. We hear about it and at first only gym leaders/e4 are fighting it, meaning we can only battle a few who stay back (so 8 stay back, there's really more than 8, tying in with the more than 8 gym leaders thread) and we go along like a normal trainer like every other game and have struggles like every other game, but you notice bad things occuring in the region as you get closer to the area the legendary is. There's a team but the team is a vigilante team and trying to stop it without gym leaders/e4 knowing. Everyone thinks that they are evil though, given that in the past every region has had an evil team. However! Once you get to the 8th gym and bypass there, you realise what the "evil" team is doing and they explain that they're fighting the evil Pokemon too but the gym leaders/e4 keep getting in their way. Then they tell you why the third mon was evil, which is because its heart was corrupted, a throwback to Colloseum/XD and the third generation in general. Only you can help restore its heart, as gym leaders/e4 notice a fighting spirit within you, or something within you. Then after that you confront the evil Pokemon, and at first you fail. You're disheartened, everyone is disappointed in you, etc, but then the front way out is blocked, so you go the back way, and there you find Xerneas or Yveltal, and together you and the Pokemon go together (and its ability trumps the other Pokemon, somehow) and face the evil Pokemon and purify its heart. Then you go off on your way to defeat the remaining gym leaders, and the elite four - however at that time the "vigilante" team is annoyed that you were heroic and sets out to sabotage you and kidnap your Pokemon specifically etc, so it's effectively like two different stories that tie in really well. In the end you defeat them and stand in the hall of fame~~~~

Could be a nice twist :3

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I love the idea you've come up with but we all know GameFreak isn't going to do something relatively elaborate because it's a children's game. Every game has been pretty straightforward and linear...the only game that broke the mold Rampardos has moldbreaker somewhat would be Black & White and its emphasis on story...but that was offset with a extraordinarily linear campaign when compared to previous Gens.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
But still, they've bypassed their patterns - B2/W2, gen 6 announced globally, making gen 5 a one-region generation, and B2/W2 even referenced to freezing someone so imo anything is possible, and given this is a brand new generation I'd like to see them do something out of the box, and that's the most out of the box I can think of really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back