• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Infraction system information and questions

Years
I have another problem guys, 3 more infraction points for a post in the Cute Pokemon Club which Olli and Ozzy claimed was spam.

If I get banned again it will be the last straw and I will leave PC permanently and defect to Serebii.

I really want to protest this infraction cos I didn't know it was spam, and I usually have trouble remembering most rules.

Please help me or I'll leave PC FOREVER!!!

Cos PC without Hikari will never be the same.

I NEED HELP!

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, I guess the problem with the spam infraction is, that some people aren't sure what kinds of things that would be classified as spam, and are, like you, suprised when they're infracted. But honestly making a post, just saying "Snivy is the Pokemon of the Week" in multiple languages doesn't really contribute at all, and doesn't have a point to it at all, since people can check it themselves. Now, in most cases we would just have let it slide, but the problem is that you make posts like these too often.

Also the reason I took it up in PM was to avoid things like these...

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Just a question, not wanting to seem agonistic but... Why is there an infraction for a character limit..?

I ask because I just got hit with that one a few minutes ago and frankly, I'm a little confused. Sometimes you don't need a certain amount of characters to get some point across, so people will have to pad whatever they were saying with with something useless to reach a character limit to avoid getting infracted. Why?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
The word and character limits are in place to stop people being completely non-constructive and posting stuff like "cool!" or "i agree!" in threads. Imposing the limit helps to improve the number of quality posts we get and we can't make exceptions for individual cases, unfortunately. Even if you got your point across just fine and your post was completely valid, we can't excuse you from the 25/4 rule.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Another question about the character/word limit... I noticed just today that it is in effect in Other Trivia as well... I can understand why you would want to enforce the limit in forums specifically designed for being constructive, but I noticed this just a couple minutes ago.

No one got infracted for it but. I would like to ask, why is this rule enforced so harshly on Other Trivia? Isn't the point of having that board to be the general "everything else" board? A place where there are forum games (Aka: Non-constructive topics) and other such posts. It even goes through the trouble of not making any posts on that board go to your post count. So why does it matter so much there, that doing it could get one banned, or even perma-banned?

droomph

weeb
Years
They do that because one or two word answers like "That's DrFuji" generally aren't very nice when 99% of the post is signature. And because we always want conversation ^^

However I can't think of a good reason to enforce this rule in that particular thread, but we might as well go with it and put in a couple words like "That right there is Meganium90...my bestie lol <3"

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Hm... I see. I suppose I don't really mind as much because I usually turn signatures off. And thinking 4 word answers were 100% ok, while 3 word answers are totally wrong and militantly dealt with seemed a little silly.

Ah well... It's my problem if I find it silly. I will abide by them as best I can either way.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Hm... I see. I suppose I don't really mind as much because I usually turn signatures off. And thinking 4 word answers were 100% ok, while 3 word answers are totally wrong and militantly dealt with seemed a little silly.

Ah well... It's my problem if I find it silly. I will abide by them as best I can either way.
By the same token, saying that 3 words is where the line is drawn (because you have to draw that line somewhere unless you want to have contradictions or greater inconsistencies in how the rules are upheld) is 'militantly dealt with' seems a bit silly to me as nobody gets, as you suggested in your previous post, permabanned for that. Usually it's a warning for a first offence (and some mods just give a verbal warning rather than an actual one too), or an infraction if it's not the first time.

Bypassing the character/word limit is worth a total of two infraction points, and you need nine to actually get (temp) banned - so you need to break that rule say six times in a short time span to get banned just from doing that. Or say breaking other rules in combination, but at any rate, two infraction points at worst for doing that is far from us dealing with it 'militantly'. If a person hits a infraction point limit from doing that they probably should have paid attention to the rules after the first so-and-so infractions and warnings, or just didn't care about it in the first place.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I think people should be given yellow cards for their first offense for the technical infractions. If it is a case where there is obviously intent to cause problems, then that's a different story.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Infractions are entirely up to the mod's discretion, but if you have a problem with it I would recommend going to a member of higher staff about it, who can revert it if it really is too harsh.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
So yeah, hi. I got an infraction today and I must say that I don't really agree (which probably doesn't hold any significance coming from myself but really I would live up to it if I deserved it, which I feel I did not in this case). It was for disrespecting a member, while the only considerable disrespectful thing I said was in private to some other member. I didn't say anything to the member themselves, etc.
So that's that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You would be best off talking to h-staff about it privately, as they're the ones that deal with infraction reversals. Although if it was disrespectful, it was disrespectful, no matter who you said it to. I'm sure you have your own reasons for wanting to try to get it reversed though.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Being disrespectful to a member does not state that it needs to be direct. "Do not threaten, harass or insult your fellow members, or launch personal attacks against any of them." Personal attacks is in the latter part of that quote, from the rules. You got caught being disrespectful to a member indirectly. It still falls under the Second rule on the Rules page. If you feel to speak about members you have issues with, either state it to a staff member or keep it off PC with someone you trust not to repeat your feelings.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I understand that, but I don't think it's fair that you can get infracted for something which was said in private, and not harming anyone. It wasn't disrespectful to them because nothing was said to them. And so when it doesn't get reported or inquired then.. it's okay? That's not really right. That's like a teacher telling someone they can cheat on a test as long as he won't catch you doing it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If no one was harmed then it wouldn't have been reported, no? Obviously it was found disrespectful to the other end of the message. Things in private on PC are under the rules just as things in public are under the rules. Gav is right; if you don't want what you're saying to be held to the rules of PC, then take it off PC.

As far as the rule in general being unfair, I disagree. If someone was saying insulting things to me in private message to someone else on PC, I would find that highly disrespectful and would want that person to be held accountable so I think that rule is completely valid personally.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
It's still stated in the rules that you can't be disrespectful to other members. Once you send a PM, it is no longer yours to keep. It's out in the world and you can't get it back. It can go anywhere, including to that person. And even if it doesn't, it's not nice to use the place they go to, to insult them in whatever way. Like I said, once you see a PM, it's a few clicks to forward it. And so begins a paper trail. Also Toujours is ninja'ing me, I'm not trying to echo.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I've seen comments in public threads that were WAY worse than whatever I said, and I know for a fact that they received a warning at most, and that's what I'm basing all this on too. Whatever, I just genuinely think this is not at all infraction worthy and could have just gotten a warning, considering the way it went and how small and impersonal it actually was.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
If you have proof as to why it should not be an infraction, bring it to the staff member who infracted you. Otherwise, you will have to accept it.

Back