• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
An error with Pokemon's forms in battle; when a Pokemon with a second form is in a battle and if you have a Megaring, you can make a Mega-Evolution for obtain the second form. I use V.17 of Essentials.

Looks like there's a typo in the script Pokemon_MegaEvolution. Replace line 27
Code:
   return i  # fSpecies or 0
with
Code:
   return ret  # fSpecies or 0

Years
Looks like there's a typo in the script Pokemon_MegaEvolution. Replace line 27
Code:
   return i  # fSpecies or 0
with
Code:
   return ret  # fSpecies or 0

That's ok, but the others forms return to the first form after a fight (I try in wild battle). Example: All Unown forms become the A letter.

An other problem (not important), when you delete a Pokemon with the debug in the party's menu, the game make an error;

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
[Pokémon Essentials version 17]
Exception: LocalJumpError
Debug_Pokemon:789:in `pbPokemonDebugActions'
Debug_Pokemon:813:in `pbPokemonDebug'
Debug_Pokemon:797:in `loop'
Debug_Pokemon:816:in `pbPokemonDebug'
PScreen_Party:1194:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PScreen_Party:1089:in `loop'
PScreen_Party:1289:in `pbPokemonScreen'
PScreen_PauseMenu:176:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PScreen_PauseMenu:173:in `pbFadeOutIn'
PScreen_PauseMenu:173:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

Years
That's okay, but all Pokemon's forms become the first form after a battle (ex: Unown become A letter). Shinies are not affected.

Other problem; in the Party menu, if you delete a Pokemon, the game crashed.

Ego13

hollow_ego
Years
That's okay, but all Pokemon's forms become the first form after a battle (ex: Unown become A letter). Shinies are not affected.

Other problem; in the Party menu, if you delete a Pokemon, the game crashed.

For the form problem I found this solution:
in Pokemon_MegaEvolution find def makeUnmega (around line 60)

and change
Code:
    self.form = self.getUnmegaForm
to
Code:
    self.form = self.getUnmegaForm if isMega?
That solved the problem for me.

I also noticed the crash when debugging Pokemon. It happens when you want to delete or duplicate a Pokemon.
The error message says this
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2019
There Seems to be a lot of issues with V.17 from just playing through the sample maps.

1.Pokemon with multiple forms will mega evolve into their first alternate form, and get stuck in that form permanently for all future encounters.

2.The 'Download a file' script in the player's room causes a crash that terminates the script, saves the game and renders the game completely unplayable after reloading, even if you re-open the save.

3.Cannot Debug Pokemon, deleting results in crash, setting a pokemon's heart gauge does not work at all, probably other errors too but don't want to go through them:
Spoiler:

4. Tripple Triad: Cannot purchase cards, assume I cannot play the game at all.
Spoiler:

5.Real world location script unsuccessfully executing (could be another problem?)

6. Battle arena upon using a randomly generated team

Spoiler:

8.Same for battle palace:
Spoiler:

Assuming there's a lot more. Unsure if a bug, as this is only my third day using essentials, but when scrolling through options, the cursor scrolls through them one by one instead of continuously when the arrow keys are held down like in the games.

Seems most issues stem from "undefined method" I had a similar issue pop up when trying to install the following pokemon script by MEJ71 got the following error:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
I also noticed the crash when debugging Pokemon. It happens when you want to delete or duplicate a Pokemon.
The error message says this
Spoiler:

After doing some research into how Ruby does things, I found a solution that seems to work.

In the Debug_Pokemon script section, around lines 775 and 789, replace "break" with
Code:
throw :done
Then, around line 794, replace the def pbPokemonDebug section with
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Female Espurr is receiving HA Prankster when it evolves.

Espurr does not exist in Pokémon Essentials. And, as the title suggests, this thread is only for bugs in unmodified versions of Essentials.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 20, 2018
Espurr does not exist in Pokémon Essentials. And, as the title suggests, this thread is only for bugs in unmodified versions of Essentials.

Vivillon, Furfrou, Pumpkaboo, Hoopa, all of Gen 6 are in Pokemon Essentials v17, even Aegislash works normally with their forms, only Meowstic that not. Thats why I said, but ok.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Vivillon, Furfrou, Pumpkaboo, Hoopa, all of Gen 6 are in Pokemon Essentials v17, even Aegislash works normally with their forms, only Meowstic that not. Thats why I said, but ok.

MikeYang, I think I understand the confusion here. Those pokemon you've listed do have defined forms in the loosest sense, but the pokemon do not exist in a clean v17 project. These definitions are just for the conditions that said form would be set in game. However, they do not include any base stat changes or new movesets, as these are defined in pokemonforms.txt. This is why Esper does not have the right ability, and Aegislash, if you didn't notice, does not change its stats, (though it may change its image, as that's completely unrelated)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 20, 2018
MikeYang, I think I understand the confusion here. Those pokemon you've listed do have defined forms in the loosest sense, but the pokemon do not exist in a clean v17 project. These definitions are just for the conditions that said form would be set in game. However, they do not include any base stat changes or new movesets, as these are defined in pokemonforms.txt. This is why Esper does not have the right ability, and Aegislash, if you didn't notice, does not change its stats, (though it may change its image, as that's completely unrelated)

Aaah, I see. Thank you very much :3

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Whilest using Surf, if you go to a crest of a waterfall, the game hangs until you close it via task manager.

The fix provided on the "known bugs/old bugs" page on the wiki isn't applicable, as those lines aren't in the latest version of essentials. I'm using Windows 7.

Ego13

hollow_ego
Years
After doing some research into how Ruby does things, I found a solution that seems to work.

In the Debug_Pokemon script section, around lines 775 and 789, replace "break" with
Code:
throw :done
Then, around line 794, replace the def pbPokemonDebug section with
Spoiler:

Thank you. Just 2 things to notice. The first fix you apply (changing break to throw: done) has to be done as well for for line 789.

For the second fix: the code was messed up a bit by this forum. it should be
Code:
if command < 0
(the < was replaced with "& lt;"

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Whilest using Surf, if you go to a crest of a waterfall, the game hangs until you close it via task manager.

The fix provided on the "known bugs/old bugs" page on the wiki isn't applicable, as those lines aren't in the latest version of essentials. I'm using Windows 7.
I can't replicate this.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
I can't replicate this.

If I could get a hold of Luka S.J, I'd ask him about this, as I'm using the most recent essentials and the most recent EBS. However, I don't know if there's an interaction with waterfall in his script at all... It's only when I'm going down the waterfall, the game says the script is taking too long, it saves, I reload, and it continues me down the waterfall...

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
If I could get a hold of Luka S.J, I'd ask him about this, as I'm using the most recent essentials and the most recent EBS. However, I don't know if there's an interaction with waterfall in his script at all... It's only when I'm going down the waterfall, the game says the script is taking too long, it saves, I reload, and it continues me down the waterfall...

This thread is only for bug reports in an unmodified version of Essentials. You have EBS, so this is modified.

Ego13

hollow_ego
Years
When using Spite it raises the following error message

Spoiler:

to fix this:
In Script Section PokeBattle_MoveEffects find
Code:
################################################################################
# Target's last move used loses 4 PP. (Spite)
################################################################################
class PokeBattle_Move_10E < PokeBattle_Move
  def pbEffect(attacker,opponent,hitnum=0,alltargets=nil,showanimation=true)
    for i in opponent.moves
      if i.id==opponent.lastMoveUsed && i.id>0 && i.pp>0
        pbShowAnimation(@id,attacker,opponent,hitnum,alltargets,showanimation)
        reduction=[4,i.pp].min
        pbSetPP(i,i.pp-reduction)
        @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("It reduced the PP of {1}'s {2} by {3}!",opponent.pbThis(true),i.name,reduction))
        return 0
      end
    end
    @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("But it failed!"))
    return -1
  end
end

and change this
Code:
pbSetPP(i,i.pp-reduction)
to
Code:
opponent.pbSetPP(i,i.pp-reduction)

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
An old bug: Larvesta icon (636) was a misplaced pixel.

Arkadious

Developer of Fragmentum
Years
In Essentials 17.1, if you use an accented e (é) for move or ability descriptions, it doesn't appear and ends up making words like Caf and Pokmon. Possibly affects more areas but seems to work alright in the main menu.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
In Essentials 17.1, if you use an accented e (?) for move or ability descriptions, it doesn't appear and ends up making words like Caf and Pokmon. Possibly affects more areas but seems to work alright in the main menu.
I'm looking at v17.1, and accented characters in move/ability descriptions definitely DO display properly.

Back