• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Length of a fangame

Time you would ideally play a fan game for

• 3-4 Hours ( Catch em all / traditional story game)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 4-5 Hours (Not a lot to do but a fun game)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 5-10 Hours (Decent story with a lot to do)

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • 10-20 Hours (amazing story with lots of things to do)

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voultronix

Pokemon Fossil Creator
Years
Fan games often vary on length depending on the play style of the game and story. But how long are you guys willing to play a fan game ? Do you like long intense story games or medium length catch em all games? and what is the max time you would play for?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
It honestly depends on the game (And whether you are playing with speed doubled, hahaha). I have little interest in spending a huge amount of time on your average 8 gym rom at this point, it's got to have something different about it, yet honestly most original story hacks are going to be a lot shorter than that - there's a difference between length in terms of 'filler and extras to fully complete things' and length in terms of 'minimum events that have to be accomplished before you can win the game'. Trying to fully complete rather than just win, obviously can take someone weeks, especially if there are 700+ pokemunz.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I prefer long games that I can invest a lot of time into, although with fangames it doesn't matter as much as I am not paying

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
In the case of ROM hacks, the most popular ones have always been the standard 8 gym ones, bonus points if there's a second region with another 8 badges.

I'd personally rather enjoy short games, but development of standard Pok?mon game length fan games is interesting to follow.

Guest123123

I do like games with long stories and a lot of side content.

I think I prefer games with only one region to those with multiple regions, though, since I've noticed games with multiple regions usually have less story or no story at all after the first region.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
i like a nice and long story with plot twist's and other stuff. something like Pokemon reborn.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Iowa
  • Seen Sep 30, 2021
i can go on for as long as the game takes to complete 100%, as long as it is good enough to warrant it, for me longer/bigger = better/best

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I think fan games should have 15 regions minimum

In reality I dont think that theres much to be said about the total amount of time that a game takes. Making sure that it remains interesting and engaging throughout the playtime is a much better quality to have than just the total hour count.

I think pacing is really hard to do correctly now that so many players play with turbo buttons. It is really hard to balance gameplay to be fun consistently through time if everyone is playing at a different speed multiplier.

Quality over quantity, anyway

Back