• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Compatibility issues?

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
Ok, basically I am pre-ordering Pokemon X from EB Games as I live in Australian, but I don't know whether I should pre-order Pokemon Y from Play-Asia and hope that it comes like a day or two early and play on my NTSC 3DS Pikachu Edition. However if I do choose to get the American Pokemon Y from Play-asia, would that version have issue/problems with with pokemon events in Australia? Like exclusive event pokemon, ect?

Thanks guys

Years
I would think that its fine, but isnt the release date the same all over the world? so wouldn't it be quicker to get it from eb games, rather than wait for postage?

besides, we hardly get any events here anyway

toxictwinkie

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
I would think that its fine, but isnt the release date the same all over the world? so wouldn't it be quicker to get it from eb games, rather than wait for postage?

besides, we hardly get any events here anyway

I agree with you right there. I am already getting pokemon X anyway from EB Games, definitely. However I just thought I may take my chances with Pokemon Y from Play-Asia and see if it does come a little early, but I wanted to make sure it will have no issues in PAL territories.

tnfsf11

From what I've heard on the net, the 3DS & its games are region coded, either JP, EU or US.
If you got your 3DS from Australia then it's very likely the EU version, which may have PAL written on it, so make sure the games you're getting are European from the purchase site.
Concerning pre-ordering, it hasn't been revealed yet if there will be any pre-order bonus aside from the CoroCoro figurines accessible to the magazine's readers, so why not wait a little more to find out if there will ever be pre-order bonus for everyone else?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
X and Y will be region-free, because the cartridges for every different region will all contain the exact same rom, byte for byte.

languages.jpg

They write the same rom to the cartridges for the different regions, then when the player starts it up you can choose the language (Unknown if we will be able to change the language again afterwards.)

They need to have the game work on every region 3DS, so they are making it region-free.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
X and Y will be region-free, because the cartridges for every different region will all contain the exact same rom, byte for byte.

languages.jpg

They write the same rom to the cartridges for the different regions, then when the player starts it up you can choose the language (Unknown if we will be able to change the language again afterwards.)

They need to have the game work on every region 3DS, so they are making it region-free.

Language selection doesn't mean that its not region locked. All current Nintendo games are region locked. X and Y haven't been said to be any different. The lock is built into the System iirc so the games have to match proper coding to be able to be read by that region's system.

Searching web, all answers come up the same, yes they are still region locked. Nintendo, The Pokemon Company, and Gamefreak have not made any official statements, but the 3DS itself is what has the lock built in. So a Japanese Game Cartridge should not work on a US System, same with a PAL system and a US game. or a Japanese system with a PAL game.

Years
American game cartridges are incompatible with PAL 3DS, because of region locking, which happens to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived and implemented in gaming industry.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
American game cartridges are incompatible with PAL 3DS, because of region locking, which happens to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived and implemented in gaming industry.

It's an anti-piracy thing, I believe. I don't care much anymore, though, as I'm in the region where I can get the American releases easily and I won't play games in Japanese.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
All current Nintendo games are region locked.

False. The English versions of B/W/B2/W2 feature no region lock. And before you point out "Those are DS games! DS games don't have region lock!", they are DSi-enhanced games and DSi-enhanced games usually feature region lock when played in a DSi/3DS.

It is possible to set the region in the rom itself. Take a look at your nearest B/W/B2/W2 cartridge, if you will.
My White 2 says TWL-IDRO-USA. The O means it's Region-free. Similarly, my White version says TWL-IRAO-USA.

The reason why the English versions are Region-free is because they wanted to save time by having the UK versions and the US versions identical, meaning they have the exact same rom inside them.
They had to make it region-free so that it would work on both NA and EU systems.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
English White version, Japanese 3DS.

Now try playing a Japanese version of the Gen V games on a non-Japanese 3DS. Won't work because the cartridge is region-locked to Japan.

As I was saying, they have the language selection screen because they are actually using the exact same rom to release the game everywhere at the same time.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
False. The English versions of B/W/B2/W2 feature no region lock. And before you point out "Those are DS games! DS games don't have region lock!", they are DSi-enhanced games and DSi-enhanced games usually feature region lock when played in a DSi/3DS.

It is possible to set the region in the rom itself. Take a look at your nearest B/W/B2/W2 cartridge, if you will.
My White 2 says TWL-IDRO-USA. The O means it's Region-free. Similarly, my White version says TWL-IRAO-USA.

The reason why the English versions are Region-free is because they wanted to save time by having the UK versions and the US versions identical, meaning they have the exact same rom inside them.
They had to make it region-free so that it would work on both NA and EU systems.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
English White version, Japanese 3DS.

Now try playing a Japanese version of the Gen V games on a non-Japanese 3DS. Won't work because the cartridge is region-locked to Japan.

As I was saying, they have the language selection screen because they are actually using the exact same rom to release the game everywhere at the same time.

All of the Gen 5 games are region locked. I don't know what kinda info you are getting but you are wrong.

An Email from Play-asia

"We got the first units of Pokemon Black / White in and confirmed, that the games are indeed region-locked on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL consoles.

Please understand that we are not able to accept returns due to region lock issues. We are sending you this email to keep you informed and to ask you to make a decision based on this information.

First off, if you have a Nintendo DS or DS Lite Console from any region then there is no problem.

However, if you have a Non-Japanese DSi / DSi XL console then the title doesn't not work at all on your console. The console simply will say: 'no game cartridge'."

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/1...n-locked-on-nintendo-dsi/#G7eU5122YoP7zBwp.99

The only systems that aren't region locked are DS's IIRC. DSi and 3DS both have region locked coding in them. All Gen 5 games have been confrimed by parent companies and distributors to be region locked. All 3DS games are region locked.

Also my copies of Gen 5 games don't work on my friend's Japanese imported 3DS. Mine say TWL-IRAO-USA, TWL-IRBO-USA, TWL-IREO-USA, and TWL-IRDO-USA. The games don't even appear on his screen at all.

Years
It's an anti-piracy thing, I believe.

The irony of that argument is, region locking is a good incentive for hackers to hack the consoles so they can play any game they want in their 3DS regardless of the region.

Though many aren't in the demograpics of travelling out of country often, for those who are, they're severely affected by the crippling policy.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
All of the Gen 5 games are region locked. I don't know what kinda info you are getting but you are wrong.

Did you even bother watching the video I linked you to? It clearly proves the English versions are not region locked because it clearly shows the person playing an English version of White on what is clearly a Japanese 3DS.
The games not appearing on the menu screen simply means there is a contact issue between the system and the cartridge; I can rarely get my Diamond version and my Platinum version to show up on my 3DS, doesn't mean they are blocked by the system.

Furthermore, said e-mail you received was from Play-Asia, not Game Freak/Nintendo. For one, they aren't the ones who made the game, and secondly, it is possible they just tested the Japanese versions and then assumed every other languages were the same.
Additionally, even if you directly asked Nintendo about this, it would be likely they would deny the English versions being region-free.

In case you missed the video, I'll link it back to you. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Did you even bother watching the video I linked you to? It clearly proves the English versions are not region locked because it clearly shows the person playing an English version of White on what is clearly a Japanese 3DS.
The games not appearing on the menu screen simply means there is a contact issue between the system and the cartridge; I can rarely get my Diamond version and my Platinum version to show up on my 3DS, doesn't mean they are blocked by the system.

Furthermore, said e-mail you received was from Play-Asia, not Nintendo. It is also possible they just tested the Japanese versions and then assumed the English versions were the same.
Additionally, even if you directly asked Nintendo about this, it would be likely they would deny the English versions being region-free.

In case you missed the video, I'll link it back to you. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c

Did you bother to read what was said? I HAVE ACCESS TO A JAPANESE 3DS. MY ENGLISH COPY GEN 5 GAMES DO NOT WORK ON SAID 3DS. I posted my 4 IDs on here for my 4 Gen 5 games. One of each, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. NONE of the four work on a Japanese 3DS. And yes the game not showing up IS how you tell if the game is being read or not. If the game system cannot read the cartridge it will show it as blank despite it being in there.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Yes, I did read your post. But I chose to believe the video that clearly shows the person is playing the English versions on a Japanese system over the words of a person on an internet forum. There is nothing more I can add as I have already said everything I had to say. You can choose to ignore everything or you can choose to take in account what I am saying, but in the end, it is up to you.
And with that, I bid you au-revoir, because this has gone on for too long.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yes, I did read your post. But I chose to believe the video that clearly shows the person is playing the English versions on a Japanese system over the words of a person on an internet forum. There is nothing more I can add as I have already said everything I had to say. You can choose to ignore everything or you can choose to take in account what I am saying, but in the end, it is up to you.
And with that, I bid you au-revoir, because this has gone on for too long.

They also had some kid on here posting videos that said you could trade between Gens 2 and 3. He had youtube videos posted, never watched them either because like with this I know what I've experienced and the answer is still no. Youtube isn't a source, its easily manipulated just like Wikipedia. You can change the face plates of an English 3DS to that of a Japanese one so it looks like a Japanese 3DS. You can even change the language on the 3DS to be in Japanese. There are many ways to fake a video and there are many fake videos all over youtube.

toxictwinkie

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
Oh god what have I started. Would you guys mind if I delete this thread? block? Its getting out of hand.

Also, I got my pikachu 3DS XL NA version and a PAL 3DS. I already pre-ordered pokemon X at Ebgames, so I am still deciding to import pokemon Y from (NTSC) from Play-Asia to play on my new NA Pikachu 3DS XL C:. Though I think I might be consistent and get the PAL Y also...but...would love to play on my new handheld. God I hate region locked consoles with a passion.

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Xander when you said all gen 5 games were region locked, were you just talking about on a 3ds? I'm a little confused because you were able to play japanese games on an American DS . I'm pretty sure that I'm missunderstanding you guys .

I'm actually surprised the games are region locked since you can choose your language. I understand

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Xander when you said all gen 5 games were region locked, were you just talking about on a 3ds? I'm a little confused because you were able to play japanese games on an American DS . I'm pretty sure that I'm missunderstanding you guys .

I'm actually surprised the games are region locked since you can choose your language. I understand

The systems are what have the bulk lock coding in them. I think there is a lock program in the systems and the games have a key program. (I'm trying to explain it as simple as I can for someone else reading...I don't think there really is something called a key program). So when you put a game that isn't supposed to work on a foriegn system its the same as putting a key into a lock that it doesn't belong. The key won't unlock the lock.

I have an original DS which is American yes, but the DS doesn't have a Region Lock on it. B/W/B2/W2 are all DSi enhanced so they have the code that would lock them if played on a DSi or 3DS that was not native to that region. No I cannot play my Gen 5 games on my friend's Japanese 3DS. He can't play his games on my 3DS....cause they are all Japanese. We've tried.

But Region Locking is only on DSi and 3DS. A DS and DS lite aren't region locked.

Back