• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Some of the "Hidden" movements are really glitched up. There are three or four in the list...for Firered, type 4C works for me with absolutely no problem :)

This happened to my hack once...I had to go back to a working backup and work from there.

All right, thanks for the info.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
Ok so I solved my original problems with my items, my flags were not reading so I had to 'remake' them, and have hit yet another snag hahaha.

When doing a pokemon battle for example Mewtwo when I defeat him he vanishes from map, if I run from the battle he vanishes from the map, but if I catch him then I can keep catching him... How do I fix this?

Copy of battle script:

#org 0x87405E5
'-----------------------------------
special INIT_STEPCOUNT
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if == jump 0x81A7AE0 ' Equal To
special GET_STEPCOUNT
lock
faceplayer
checksound
cry MEWTWO 0x2
waitcry
pause 0x14
playsound 0x2 0x2
battle MEWTWO 5 NONE
setflag 0x807
special BATTLE_PIXELLATE
waitspecial
clearflag 0x807
special2 LASTRESULT 0xB4
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if == jump 0x8162558 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x4
if == jump 0x8162561 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x5
if == jump 0x8162561 ' Equal To
setflag 0x81
release
end

#org 0x81A7AE0
release
end

#org 0x8162558
setflag 0x232
jump 0x81A922D

#org 0x81A922D
fadescreen FADEOUT_BLACK
disappear LASTTALKED
fadescreen FADEIN_BLACK
release
end

#org 0x8162561
setvar 0x8004 0x96
jump 0x81A9236

#org 0x81A9236
fadescreen FADEOUT_BLACK
disappear LASTTALKED
fadescreen FADEIN_BLACK
storepokemon 0x0 0x8004
msgbox 0x81A63C4 ' The \v\h02 flew away...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x81A63C4
= The \v\h02 flew away!

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
Hi all,

I've been puzzling over this script all day now, and it is the most complicated one I've tried to make so far (very new at this). I just can't find any more tutes to help me.

Using Fire Red, Advance map 1.92 and XSE.

I wanted the player to talk to a family who's kid is missing, help Bill with his machine, then take the kid home (who was hiding with Bill).

The family all have before and after rescue text, which works, the kid can ask to be taken home, which works, and her sprite disappears from Bill's workshop after she is spoken too.

The hitch in my script is that I can't hide her sprite in the family home (where she ends up). Either the sprite is there the whole time, and disappears when talked to if not 'rescued' or if I set it to 'hidden' on Advance map she doesn't reappear when she's supposed to.

I'm just wondering if there's a setting I should be using in Advance map or if I need to but the script to show/hide her sprite somewhere else. Should she be set to 'hidden' in advance map and I put showsprite after the warp command, or is there another way to do it?

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
Some of the "Hidden" movements are really glitched up. There are three or four in the list...for Firered, type 4C works for me with absolutely no problem :)

This happened to my hack once...I had to go back to a working backup and work from there.

Unfortunately, this glitch seemed to have slipped through my testing sessions and infected all my backup files. So basically, I should just export all my scripts and maps to a new file and continue from there?

EDIT: Whenever I try to import one of my maps I get an access violation error. Is there anyway I can solve this so I can continue exporting my old maps?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hi all,

I've been puzzling over this script all day now, and it is the most complicated one I've tried to make so far (very new at this). I just can't find any more tutes to help me.

Using Fire Red, Advance map 1.92 and XSE.

I wanted the player to talk to a family who's kid is missing, help Bill with his machine, then take the kid home (who was hiding with Bill).

The family all have before and after rescue text, which works, the kid can ask to be taken home, which works, and her sprite disappears from Bill's workshop after she is spoken too.

The hitch in my script is that I can't hide her sprite in the family home (where she ends up). Either the sprite is there the whole time, and disappears when talked to if not 'rescued' or if I set it to 'hidden' on Advance map she doesn't reappear when she's supposed to.

I'm just wondering if there's a setting I should be using in Advance map or if I need to but the script to show/hide her sprite somewhere else. Should she be set to 'hidden' in advance map and I put showsprite after the warp command, or is there another way to do it?

The best way is to use flags. Set a flag sometime before the house and assign it to the person ID (make the event as normal otherwise. Not hidde
). Then at the rescue event clear the flag and the OW will then be visible when you return to the house.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
I have a question hope have people can reply me.

The champion rival at Fire Red I named " Lucas", but while I battle with him, he name is showing the name of intro name I put, how do I put the rival name to Lucas if intro choosing other name. Or how to put the champion rival VS screen to other trainer as my like, and no showing rival intro name?

Hope has people know what I mean. Sorry for my bad english.

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
Sorry, but has anyone here got a tutorial about adding a new palette for the tilesets of firered? I mean, you know that AMap has got 13 palettes for the tilesets... But how can I add more palettes? Is there a way to increase the avaible palettes for the tilesets? Thanks for the help and sorry for my awful english ;)

Last edited:

mewmasterify

Actual Mew
Years
I have a question how can you increase the size limit in the Gba roms like how do you Change 64x64 into 80x80 so when your inserting a pokemon sprite it doesn't have to be 64x64.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I have a question hope have people can reply me.

The champion rival at Fire Red I named " Lucas", but while I battle with him, he name is showing the name of intro name I put, how do I put the rival name to Lucas if intro choosing other name. Or how to put the champion rival VS screen to other trainer as my like, and no showing rival intro name?

Hope has people know what I mean. Sorry for my bad english.

The "Champion" Trainer Class in FRLG is hardwired to substitute whatever the rivals name is as the name of the trainer. The easiest thing to do is make a duplicate Trainer Class called "Champion" and use it instead, or use a trainer class besides Champion.

Sorry, but has anyone here got a tutorial about adding a new palette for the tilesets? I mean, you know that AMap has got 13 palettes for the tilesets... But how can I add more palettes? Is there a way to increase the avaible palettes for the tilesets? Thanks for the help and sorry for my awful english ;)

Thirteen Palettes is the max...A-Map 1.95 has it wrong. Sixteen palettes is the max number of palettes that can be shown at a given time when you're playing a ROM. Palettes 0 through 12 are the only ones that can be used with A-Map. The remaining three are reserved for other stuff in-game, so can't be used conventionally.

I have a question how can you increase the size limit in the Gba roms like how do you Change 64x64 into 80x80 so when your inserting a pokemon sprite it doesn't have to be 64x64.

64x64 sprites is hardware limitation, not software. The only way you can make anything bigger than 64x64 is with tilemaps, and a complete rewrite of the core game code.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
Thank you Redriders180! Anyway, while I was looking in the tutorial zone, I've founded this tutorial: /showthread.php?t=156018
It seems that he adds a new tileset with its own palette, right? Could this be a way to do it or it's impossible? Thank you again!

redriders180

Years
Thank you Redriders180! Anyway, while I was looking in the tutorial zone, I've founded this tutorial: /showthread.php?t=156018
It seems that he adds a new tileset with its own palette, right? Could this be a way to do it or it's impossible? Thank you again!

He probably replaces an existing palette with his own. Palettes 7-12 vary with the Tileset 2 in FRLG, and Palettes 6-12 in RSE, so if you want to start a completely new Tileset 2 from scratch, you can edit those palettes. If you're clever enough, six (or seven) palettes should be plenty.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I'm pretty sure there's a tool out there, but I can't find it anymore.

Is there a tool that takes a given image and compresses it so the tiles only appear once, as in they delete all the repeated tiles and bunch the image together to save as much space as possible? Please tell me I'm not hallucinating...

redriders180

Years
I'm pretty sure there's a tool out there, but I can't find it anymore.

Is there a tool that takes a given image and compresses it so the tiles only appear once, as in they delete all the repeated tiles and bunch the image together to save as much space as possible? Please tell me I'm not hallucinating...

I believe the program you refer to is called Sphere. It's mainly used for making RPGs, but it has an option to import an image, compress it, and make a tilemap of it, if necessary.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Hello folks.

I feel like starting a ROM Hack, major project. However, I have never done a ROM Hack before. All of the knowledge I have from creating games are from RPG Maker (Did pretty much everything, except Scripting).

So I went and looked around to get informations and grab programs (thought all the ones I wanted were included in PGE). However, I still have some things I want to know:

-I wish to create Fakemons, with my own spriting skills. PGE has all kind of stuff for editting a Pokemon except one thing: Sprites. What program for Sprite editing would you you suggest for a beginner?

-I've seen Physical/Special split is possible to edit in the Attack Editor of PGE. However, I've also heard it requires an ASM to make it work. I have no idea what that is, mind helping me find/install that ASM?

-I'd like to create moves with particular effects. I know I can only use existing effects. However, can I make an effect that normally does no damage actually do damage in addition to the effect? (such as Protect and Transform).

-I wish to create a whole new continent. However, I have no idea how I should start it out, if I should delete maps to make space or not. What do you suggest me?

-Anything a beginner should know before throwing himself into a big project?

Thank in advance for the answers.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I believe the program you refer to is called Sphere. It's mainly used for making RPGs, but it has an option to import an image, compress it, and make a tilemap of it, if necessary.

Thanks for the name but after extensive searching, I couldn't find it anywhere. Could you link me to it, or show me in the right direction?

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
The "Champion" Trainer Class in FRLG is hardwired to substitute whatever the rivals name is as the name of the trainer. The easiest thing to do is make a duplicate Trainer Class called "Champion" and use it instead, or use a trainer class besides Champion.

Now I know it, thanks. But I need the Champion VS screen, how to do it?

Second problem, I use A-Trainer, when I edit the "Elite Four" Trainer Class to "Rival", then I test at VBA battle with the "Rival", the VS screen doesn't
appear, how to make to VS screen appear in game?

redriders180

Years
Now I know it, thanks. But I need the Champion VS screen, how to do it?

Second problem, I use A-Trainer, when I edit the "Elite Four" Trainer Class to "Rival", then I test at VBA battle with the "Rival", the VS screen doesn't
appear, how to make to VS screen appear in game?

I don't know about the Champion Vs. screen, but the elite four vs screens are controlled under the "header" tab. Changing the "Fight Type" to one of the four Elite Four settings will make the battle have a Vs Screen, I believe. But I think it only works in certain circumstances, i.e the battler you're currently battling with is an Elite Four member, with an Elite Four sprite, and possibly only one of the original "Elite Four" trainer numbers. I have some ASM in my game, however, that lets you call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle, although I don't have the ASM on hand, and I can't find the tutorial either...I think it was either erased, or put somewhere else, or I just missed it in my pass through of the tutorial section.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
How do you search by offset in XSE? I'm trying to find the Oak intro speech to see if it's possible to change the female Nidoran to something else, using Advance Text I found the offset for the start of the script at 1C5C78. I took that, put it into the offset box in XSE and hit decompile. What shows up is text that says "update coins" and some hex numbers.

redriders180

Years
How do you search by offset in XSE? I'm trying to find the Oak intro speech to see if it's possible to change the female Nidoran to something else, using Advance Text I found the offset for the start of the script at 1C5C78. I took that, put it into the offset box in XSE and hit decompile. What shows up is text that says "update coins" and some hex numbers.

It shows up like that because, when you put in the offset and hit decompile, it assumes it's a script, and uses the hex values for scripting instead of letters. For instance, if you made a script, put in "msgbox 0x1C5C78 MSG_FACE", and compiled and then decompiled that same script, it'd show up as it should, because XSE would assume it was letters. That being said, I don't think XSE can search for hex values, just decompile scripts. Try using a hex editor to search for the hex values "78 5C 1C 08" and you'll find the part of the overall script that calls the message at 0x1C5C78.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Did that got the offset there got this in XSE:
#org 0x12F8F0
braille 0x18081C5C
comparebanktofarbyte 0x2 0x3B10802
end

The weird thing is that in XSE's own hex viewer if I go to the offset from my previous post it shows the proper text in the side bar of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back