• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
Years
I didn't nickname them cause it was my first playthrough, and as i didn't really know there names i had to get used to the names.

Years
I name my in the order I catch/hatch/recieve them. An example of which is my tepig/whatever the rest of it's evolutions are called has been nicknamed 001. The only exception to this rule is Victini, who has been nicknamed 000. I don't care about nicknames, because they're just tools of war to me to use as I roleplay as a ten year old god of Pokemon training

My friend says I play Pokemon as if I was running the holocaust. :P

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
I named my axew "Ugly", knowing it would evolve into haxorus, i named my woobat "HeartNose" and idk why, and i named my hydregion "Rawrz" because dragons rawr and stuff...

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
Years
I use kind of a rock music motif, but I don't always stick to it that well. Examples from my current lineup:

Tenacious the Emboar: From Tenacious D, since only "TenaciousD" would fit, and I didn't want the name to look cramped. His nature and characteristic of "Bold, likes to fight" made me think of him as being tenacious.
Hall the Throh: If I ever catch a Sawk, I plan on naming it "Oates".
Dolby the Reuniclus: Named after Thomas Dolby, the guy that did "Blinded Me With Science". Again, not necessarily rock.
Dio the Archeops: Both are awesome but extinct.
Sabbath the Zekrom: Black Sabbath, of course!
Shook Me the Whiscash: From the AC/DC song "Shook Me All Night Long," since Whiscash is known for causing earthquakes.

I plan on doing an anime theme for Black Version, including Excalibur the Snivy...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
I named my Braviary Peaches. The reason is really not even close to known by me. I felt it fits him well.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
After my zwielous evolved into hydreigon, I named him "Dennis." Ghetsis battle theme ftw xD

I actually rarely nickname any pokemon that I own, but sometimes it's just funny :P (Serperior => Smugleaf, Hydreigon => Dennis)

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
Years
I named Metagross "Nightmare" cause it's scary strong
I named Mamoswine "Mastidon" obvious I'd say
I named Jelicent "Whirler" I don't know it just kind of seemed right
I couldn't remame Rotom cause it's the in-game trade one
and I didn't want to rename Reshiram or Kyrum cause their names are epic as is

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I nickname all of my Pokémon, tbh. Though a good majority of the time they aren't very good names... :( My two favorites are Prometheus the Emboar and Excalibur the Excadrill. Emboar was named after Prometheus, the Greek Titan who stole fire from the gods and gave it to mankind. Excadrill was actually more because Excadrill + Drillbur made me think of Excalibur, and it's the name of a badass sword which is even better. :D

And no, my Prometheus doesn't get his liver eaten out by Braviary. :>

Years
I nicknamed my Tepig Otto because...well I don't know really why. It just seemed to fit him.
My Tirtouga is named Riptide (not creative I know).

My Sawsbuck is named Antlass, which is a combination of antler and lass (Yes shes a girl).

My Archen is nicknamed Dinonichus which is an attempted spelling by memory of Deinonychus, which is a bigger version of a Velociraptor.

My Zebstrika is nicknamed Stampede because he looks like he'd run you over.

My LArvesta is nicknamed Mothra, cause its evolved form kind of looks like one to me.

And my Liepard is nicknamed Matilda because of a friends cat.

I didnt always nickname my Pokemon but I've been getting into it more and more.

Years
I don't know why but I'm always nicknaming Pokemon
Back in the day it was after anime characters
Then I tried using fantasy name generators (Laure is Tomika in elvish)

But now that I'm playing 5 Pokemon games at once D:
I name them after whatever is going on during my Law and Order marathons or what comes to my head

all I got in my party so far is Dewott and Simisear

Dewott is Gale because there was a character named Gale on the SVU episode I was watching

Simisear is Inferno cause.... let's be honest... Infernape is the better monkey

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Sometimes I'll nickname Pokémon random things just because, and not be real serious about it unless it was a Pokémon I would plan on training or using for Wi-Fi battles. Whatever it may be I need a serious/cool nickname for, really.
---
132.png

I was out catching Ditto at the Giant Chasm for a Timid nature, and I had kept getting these neutral nature ones. So I raged and named one "Stupid". ;x I ended up getting one with the nature I needed right after that Ditto though. n__n

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2019
scraggy - ruadhri.

thats it. O_O im idea-less

but im planning to name my future pokemon like this:
kingdra - fimbultvr
ampharos - audella
:)

Solfatara

Forest Dweller
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 10, 2011
I like to name them after several things.

American psycho characters.

Mewtwo = Patrickbateman
charizard = Mr. Bateman

Jersey shore characters

HG starter = Ronnie
diamond starter = Snooki

I recently named my Caterpie from Nuzlocke Firered Bateman, and uh, a Spearow I think? Paul Owen, haha.
American Psycho ftw.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
Years
I'll start with my current party:

Serperior - Lilith Haxorus - Karyn Samurott - Joshawott(because I have a friend named Josh that I cleverly put -awott (J)Oshawott)) xD
can't nickname my Volcarona or Mienshao because they're traded :c
but once I breed some kids for them after they're 100'd Volcarona - Vessa
and Mienshao - Amethys
and Emolga - Beiru

Now for some noteworthy ones xD
Named Reshiram - Aphelion and I am going to name Zekrom - Perihelion
meaning: Furthest place from the sun and Closest place from the sun, respectively
I guess I'll name Kyurem - Apsis in that sense :PP

Altaria - Aozora (japanese for Blue Sky) Zoroark - Neit Cinccino - Tesla
Tornadus - Aeo Victini - Syn Cobalion - Leiva Virizion - Pai (I forgot why) xD
and Dream World Nidoran - Bane! :DD

those are the ones I put a little thought into :PP

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 20, 2011
Sanurai-Samurott, for obvious reasons.
Yorkie-Stoutland, because when I first caught it as a Lillipup, that was the first thought that popped into my head
Scorcher-Simisear, because I felt like using some sort of fire-related name and keeping the "s" thing going with its name
Lupin-Mightyena, because it's a wolf (duh) and Lupin is the best character in Harry Potter.
Foxy-Vulpix...once again obvious
(best nickname ever right here) Hitler GoT (short for God of Thunder; the only way it would let me nickname him Hitler was if I added GoT to the end... oddly enough)-Thundurus, from an insane inside joke about German/Norwegian gods of thunder and other such nonsense. You really had to be there to get it.
McCloud-other Vulpix, after (who else) Fox McCloud of Star Fox fame.
Trash-Garbodor, because that's what I think of it as.
Those are the nicknames I can think of right now, although I'm sure I have more that I've forgotten about.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I didn't nickname any of mine, so that I could learn their names easier. I do that with most new generations, except I did nickname my starter Johan. That one aside, all of the others have their usual names. On my second run through, I might nickname 'em.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
I nickname all my pokemon but my personal favourites would be:

Tyranitar: Godzilla
Volcarona: Mothra
Hydreigon: Ghidorah

I always use them in triple/rotation battles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back