• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Kanto Gym Leader ?

Hardest Kanto Gym Leader

• Total voters

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Which was the hardest Kanto gym leader for you. Give reasons also.
For me, it was Misty. When I first time played LeafGreen or first time played any pokemon game, I chose Charmander. Then, I did not know any basics of pokemon.My team was consisting of lvl 31 charmeleon and other pokemons in 10s. Misty keep Water Pulsing Charmeleon and he always die in 2 hits. It took 20 tries to get a lucky critical hit.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Sabrina was the hardest. Particularly since Psychic-type was the best in RBY, and since my team's levels were too low compared to her.
However I don't remember I had a hard time with her in FR/LG...

Years
I can only think of Koga right now.
Misty wasn't a problem for me since I always had a pikachu.
As a kid I just couldn't get past that Muk.. My nightmare ;0

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
For me, it's Misty. She's only easy if you choose Bulbasaur. Her Starmie is so freakin' strong O_o !

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
Koga; because when I played FRLG the first time, I didn't use items or switch out, so I would just get badly poisoned and lose all of my Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Having just replayed Fire Red, I can honestly say none of them were hard :x I was very under levelled when fighting most of the gym leaders and yet they were all easy D: I guess hardest would be Koga with his Weezing and Muk combo since I tend to train Grass, Bug and Poison types, but even he wasn't really a challenge.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
Sabrina. My team has some trouble with psychic >''<
However, it's not too hard to surpass her.

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
I got stuck against Lt. Surge for a while, having no good rock Pokémon (I didn't bother training my geodudes) and my starter being Squirtle. Eventually, I was able to beat him with my wartortle. :3

Last edited:

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
none of them were too difficult, weepinbell easily defeated misty, sabrina was easy enough to defeat with bite or crunch (whichever I had at the time) Koga was easy if you get psychic at the game corner, I think I taught my starmie that.

I'd say misty was the most annoying because weepinbell was probably barely evolved at that point, and low leveled.

If we were talking about R/B/Y Erika would be the worst because of the constant status, and because of how over powered wrap was in the originals.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
For me none of them were actually a challenge because of the team I had but I'd say Koga was the hardest.
I had Mankey take out Brock because I picked Charmander.
I knew Misty uses Water so I did the smart thing and caught me an Oddish.
Surge wasn't really an issue because I caught a Sandshrew and taught it Dig.
Erika was super easy because I had a Charizard by then.
Koga was annoying because I had an Gloom, Charizard, Vaporeon, and Sandslash. Weezings damn Levitate ability made it so hard.
Sabrina wasn't that difficult cuz I used Charizard with its increddible Attack and took advantage of her Pokemons weak Defense.
Blaine was easy cuz of Vaporeon
Giovanni was easy too because of Vaporeon.

I didn't really have that many problems because I had an awesome team that I loved, in the end this is what I had. This is during Elite Four.

Charizard
Vaporeon
Sandslash
Vileplume
Electabuzz
Gengar

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I struggled with Misty(Starmie is way too strong for a 2nd gym) and Sabrina(Alakazam+Calm Mind=Scary) which I am not surprised by at all because they were a pain in the originals too. In the end, I voted for Sabrina because at least Starmie doesn't learn Calm Mind or am I wrong? I may have been playing since 98, but I still don't know everything.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Sabrina has always been the one I've been having the most trouble with. Usually I don't train any Dark or Ghost Pokemon, or teach any of my Pokemon those moves, so I usually have to rely on normal damaging attacks, and with her Pokemon being as strong as they are, it's really a pain to beat her. Misty has always been a bit of a pain, with her Recover spamming Staryu and Starmie, who are also able to deal quite a bit of damage to my Pokemon, though that's only whenever I don't choose Bulbasaur :P

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't find any of them to be hard, really. :/ I never had much trouble in FRLG, especially since they gave Charmander Metal Claw to handle Brock. I'll just pick ummmmm...yeah no I can't pick lol. None of them are that bad. :( Sorry!

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, I agree with Sydian. They were very easy gym leaders in FRLG. Back in the first gen Brock was hard if you started with Charmander but Metal Claw fixed that issue.

Years
although I had pikachu Misty was pain in the ass
for me Koga and Sabrina were really easy since I've kicked Koga's ass with my kadabra and pwned Sabrina with my Nidokings megahorn

Back