• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Get up and get your game on. Literally.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Alright, first thread since my return, holla.

When Nintendo announced that they were creating the Wii a few years ago (how long has it been, 4?), it was basically a gaming revolution. The all too common controller with two analog sticks had evolved, basically. And Nintendo definitely reaped the benefits. Free motion gaming? An instaseller (yeah, I made that word up). Obviously Sony and Microsoft wanted in on the market, so they created the Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect, respectively. Today, there are a plethora of games out that use this free motion technology, some well, others not so well.

Have played and free motion games (I'm pretty sure there's a correct term, don't remember what)? What's you're opinion of them, and how do they compare to the gaming mechanism we've known all too well, simply sitting on the couch and rocking out. Have you enjoyed these games? And my most important question, are there any ideas for games that you'd like to see free motion implemented in?

Personally, my sister got a Wii two days ago (not Wii U) and Just Dance 4. That game is heaven. Seriously.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019
The Kinect and Playstation Move seem rushed. They don't work all too well. You can they were made to gain ground in the market.

The Wii however, works like a dream. Just Dance is just a solid, fun game.

Years
I like free-motion games because you have a sense of freedom in the way you play. The player is able to move around somewhat freely compared to just being limited to a controller. Free-motion games also, quite obviously, are very active; so you at least burn some calories whilst you play.

I reckon that in later years, free-motion games will be taken up a step in terms of technology. As in, the body's movements are captured more precisely and games will be able to be played more accurately e.g. in Wii Sports 2, you just kick a ball however you like and it goes in the same direction; but later we will be able to kick the ball and it goes in the desired direction or us kicking it in a certain way and affecting the ball's movement.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Motion controls are fun to use, but they can also leave you sore arms. It's too bad that motion controls are demonized by the hardcore gaming community (the people who grew up with video games since the arcade/SNES days) such as Screwattack, because they're too use to the old control schemes.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I think the Wii was announced like 6 years ago, feels like ages ago u_u

Kinect tried harder than Move to make ground with the motion-control trend that the Wii started but they both failed pretty hard.

I never owned a Wii, but I'm saving up for the WiiU, and I plan on getting a traditional Wii controller to catch up on the past half a decade I missed of some serious Nintendo gaming lol.

It'll be a bonus now since my living room is pretty huge, there's a lot of space to play the heck out of those motion-oriented games.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I've never really been participant to it, as a PC gamer; but I do view the means by which a game is controlled as something that should be as effortless and unnoticeable as possible, and believe that motion controls go against this logic. I imagine it can be fun with certain games, just as there are occasional circumstances where controllers are better than keyboard & mouse, but I don't take it seriously as a practical control method... yet. It's almost like a stepping stone to virtual reality. I'm interested enough to see where the technology goes, but I hold no pretences since, to answer your 'most important' question: I have no idea.

Last edited:

Zozma

I'm a blur
Years
I hate them but I have a heart condition and that kind of thing just makes me really sick or tired (depending on how much I do). I participated in a "dance off" playing DDR with my cousin, best friend, and sister, and let's just say I will never do that again!

Years
The Wii was a huge success for Nintendo, in terms of profit for the company. They started off, as they normally do, something new and fresh, but the idea and concept didn't really agree with the 'hardcore' gamers, but they brought in a fresh new crowd, which is what they seem to do.

Now, a year or two down the line, Sony and Microsoft made their own versions, which felt rushed, in my opinion, as they are still trying to bring out decent content for them and still have a way to go, in my opinion.

I am an old fashioned gamer; if I wanted to be active and jump around, I would go the gym. I like to sit with a controller and enjoy the game and not the physical actions I have to put into it.​

Years

Now, a year or two down the line, Sony and Microsoft made their own versions, which felt rushed, in my opinion, as they are still trying to bring out decent content for them and still have a way to go, in my opinion.

The thing is though, Sony and Microsoft never will focus on motion-sensor gaming more than Nintendo, so the Wii will be better than the Kinect/Move. Also, I think that Sony and Microsoft couldn't really splash out on something they couldn't guarantee was going to be huge, since the Wii had been released and WiiU announced. The Wii products are going to be better forever than all motion-sensor consoles because they were the original and got the crowd.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
Years
Well maybe I'm stuck in my ways, but videogames should be played with a keyboard and mouse, or atleast a controller. There are a few wii games I'll make an exception for (namely Okami), but otherwise I'm really not a fan.

Back