• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Creepy Pasta's

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Hey ho !
I've been reading these CreepyPasta stories :3
So i decided to make my own
i will make more >:3 if my fans so demand

1: Super Mario 64
Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll move this to the main section for you because the Writer's Lounge is not the place for stories, and the creepypasta thread in the Life, The Universe, and Everything section has had no posts in it for a couple of months so posting there would be bumping the thread and against the rules...

I'll also add upon quickly glancing at it that you'd want to watch out for small errors here and there - such as
How its a part of our childhood
It's a memory we will never forget
You use "it's" correctly in the 2nd line but "it's" should be over "its" in the first line there, and there is a lack of punctuation too (such as full stops at the end of sentences). Another instance:
I thought perhaps it was a glitch and made a bowser's speech in the game to early
Anyway after landing in the garden Lakitu did not appear and give me instructions
I didnt care at this point cause i knew how to play.
too instead of to, didn't and I should be capitalised while that 'a' doesn't appear to be necessary (although the first sentence might require a bit of rewording anyway), as well as the missing full-stops that should be there at the end of each sentence. Stuff like that just makes the story look better and doesn't take more than a proofread (and a spell/grammar checker would have caught a large amount of it as well). Also it seems that you started a new line for each new sentence which makes it a bit weird to read and isn't convention either - rather start a new line for each paragraph: so hence the above becomes (for example):
I thought perhaps it was a glitch which made bowser's speech in the game occur earlier than expected. Anyway, after landing in the garden, Lakitu did not appear and give me instructions. I didn't care at this point because I knew how to play.

Lastly although it is not quite the point of creepypastsas (many are typically meant to be short and more to the point than descriptive anyways), some more description at times would have been nice as well - for instance:
I was scared **** at this moment ... i pressed a regretting it
Some more into how scared you were or how you felt when you 'regretted' pressing A would add more to thee tale and make it come off as more realistic/believable and entertaining.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'm going to have to agree with bobandbill here. Not going to touch the grammar, though. All I can say is that even if this is a creepypasta, you've still got to proofread and avoid chatspeak (like using "u" instead of "you"). This is vital especially for game-based creepypasta because in-game text is usually edited and cleaned up. So, it would be more believable if you remembered to edit your work before posting simply because it gives your story more of a sense of realism. Yes, you need a sense of realism for creepypasta. Part of what makes a creepypasta a creepypasta is the ability to be passed off as something that actually happened. It's an urban legend, essentially -- something that readers might question whether or not actually happened.

Now, about the content.

See, another thing to note about creepypasta is that it's either very visceral or very suspenseful. Think of it like this. Either you get extremely detailed with the gore you describe (particularly by the end), or you play up the fact that something might be watching, that something might present a real danger (to one's sanity or overall health -- see Polybius), or that someone is going to flat-out die. The reason why is because you're playing on the emotion of fear. A creepypasta is not just a slightly horrific story. It's an intensely horrific story that could possibly be true. And I'm sorry about this rant, but this is part of the reason why I stopped following creepypasta archives lately: because so many writers think that creepypasta is just, "OMG MY GAME IS POSSESSED." Unfortunately, it's more like, "OH JESUS WHAT JUST HAPPENED." (For comparison, Lost Silver plays up the idea that the cartridge could be real, and it plays up the gore factor to screw with the player's psyche. Same deal with Pokémon CreepyBlack and Curse.)

With that being said, you've got a little blood, but it looks like you're too shy to take it to the next level. For example, when you describe Mario coming out of "Foot For Your Trouble," you say he's missing a foot. Unfortunately, because of what I know about Mario 64, all I can do is imagine a cartoonish Mario with only a stump for a leg on one side. I'm not really getting the shock value I would if you, for example, described Mario's bleach-white ankle bone, blood spurting from the stump, and Mario crumpled on the ground, twitching. Same thing with the part about his arm missing. You describe that his arm had been bitten off and that Peach was laughing, but I'm envisioning a very cartoonish scene instead of an all-too-realistic snap and rip of a limb getting pulled off or the demonic twitter of demented laughter. You've really got to get in there and describe a lot -- either a lot of gore or the setting of the game slowly becoming unsettling little by little. (I'm not talking about sudden thunder and lightning and fire. These elements tend to be a bit cliché for horror. I'm talking about little details that the player picks up on that disturb them. Maybe a twisted face in one of the portraits or a low, grinding murmur in the game music.) In other words, yes to what bobandbill said. The more detail you add, the more chilling it can potentially become because you're highlighting a lot of stuff that should evoke a sense of dread.

It also doesn't help that there's not much about your reaction to it. You say that the game was getting too scary for you, but that really doesn't mean much to a reader because they're not you. One thing that Lost Silver does is recall that the narrator is someone who's playing the game. The player holds their breath in anticipation while using Flash, they freak out at the sight of a sprite getting beheaded, they get a sudden chill at the sound of the music. In short, the lesson here is remember to include the effects of the game on the outside world. That reminds the reader that these things that are being described do have potentially negative effects. Not just people not believing them, either -- full-on, "I think I need to change my pants" kind of deal.

Overall, I have to apologize for sounding so blunt, but remember first and foremost that a creepypasta is supposed to make the readers feel creeped out somehow. Unfortunately, for the most part, I wasn't really feeling it here. To me, this was a lot like a lot of other game-based creepypasta I've read. If it helps, ask yourself what kinds of things scare the crap out of you and try to focus on those points in your creepypasta. And, of course, describe the crap out of them while you do. If need be, try checking out 4chan's /x/ (Paranormal) board for ideas. (They are, after all, the board where a lot of famous creepypasta got posted in the first place, so they're more or less masters of the idea.)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Wow such ... constructive? critism here ;D its why i love P.c

Yeah so i was expecting this kind of thing to happen considering it is my first :L

Anyway ... I'm not really one to look back in my work. just the type to type look send :/

and Details :D I will put some in next time ( ... yes there will be a next)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Wow such ... constructive? critism here ;D its why i love P.c

*le bow* Thanks for taking it so well.

Anyway ... I'm not really one to look back in my work. just the type to type look send :/

Yeah, unfortunately, when it comes to writing, proofreading/looking over your work is just one of those unavoidable steps. It's especially true with creepypasta, where you want the reader to focus on the tone instead of little mistakes, you know? Make way too many mistakes, and it ends up killing a mood. Unfortunate and overly blunt to say, but it's true.

If it helps, you can also look into getting a beta reader, someone who can look over your work before you post it. (Of course, either way, many betas will want you to proofread before posting to make their lives easier.)

Back