• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Uhm... I didn't quite understand "what you meant by get go thing in A-Map" ^^' Anyway, I don't think there is a Mew event in Fire Red... So you'll have to make your own. It's just a regular script... Just copy one of the legendaries script and change stuff like the flag(s), the pokemon cry, ... etc. I've not done real scripting for months but I think you should use a flag between 0x200 and 0x2FF inclusive, those are safe, iirc.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
Is there anyway to export the actual tileset instead of the palette? As in, when you have block editor open on advance map is there a way to export the image on the left, edit it, and then import it back in rather than export the palette image.

edit: Also how would one create an ENTIRELY new tileset? For example, if you have options from zero to twenty three, how would you create your own tileset twenty four?

One more question, how do I change the Advance Map header view from name:

ht tp://i1 021.photob ucket.com/albu ms/af336/Rtalt y13/Organizedbyname.png

(^ just connect the url because I'm not allowed to post links yet)

back to the organized folders of 1, 2, 3 etc

Years
@kablam, do you mean, exporting a tileset without palette (to change its palette eventually?)? Just export it, open it, copy it, open a new instance of Paint, paste and save as new tileset, it should then lose the 16-colors palette. But when you're done editing it, you'll have to decrease its colors numbers back to 16 colors and index it before importing it back. As for creating a new tileset, there is a tutorial made by Lu-Ho, A-Map's creator himself:
Spoiler:
EDIT: QUESTION 1: Does anyone know how does the game check the running away from battle thing? What if I want to 'track' it and figure it out myself, how should I proceed? can anyone give me a little Helping Hand, please. Because I want to see if I can make it impossible to run from some specific wild battles. QUESTION 2: A long time ago, I've seen a thread, made by Dartharthon I think (I can't remember exactly) in which he posted a tutorial on how to make your own tools, does anyone have the link? 'cuz I can't find it. :$

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Well the problem with hacks is only a few amount of people want to trade using it. Although trading is not that much done in rom hacks and as for that the script might be bugged and you might have to copy the real script from the original game. Although most of the time those aren't touched and just left there and became buggy from time to time for an unknown reason. :/

In short I don't think it can be fixed.
Alright thanks man :/ atleast ik now xD

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
One more question, how do I change the Advance Map header view from name:

ht tp://i1 021.photob ucket.com/albu ms/af336/Rtalt y13/Organizedbyname.png

(^ just connect the url because I'm not allowed to post links yet)

back to the organized folders of 1, 2, 3 etc
Open A-map, then goto:

Setting>Map Listing>and chose one of the 4 options

@kablam, do you mean, exporting a tileset without palette (to change its palette eventually?)? Just export it, open it, copy it, open a new instance of Paint, paste and save as new tileset, it should then lose the 16-colors palette. But when you're done editing it, you'll have to decrease its colors numbers back to 16 colors and index it before importing it back. As for creating a new tileset, there is a tutorial made by Lu-Ho, A-Map's creator himself:
Spoiler:

Why would you make someone go through all that pain in theyre butt?
Download A-map 1.95 and do this:
Press Block Editor>Tileset>Insert new Tileset> then you get a question where you press if you want it to be a secondary tileset or a secondary, yes for the primary(Bottom tileset), no for primary (Top tileset).

Also to edit a tileset you go to Block editor save the tileset, edit it, and reload it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Hello there,
I am trying to create a new item that will act similarly to X Attack and friends. I have JPAN's hacked engine, and I have looked at DavidJCobb's tutorial on creating new item effects using the engine. My question is in relation to making a script that will increase attack by one stage in battle and lower accuracy by the same. However looking at what I believe is the X Attack script it seems to be mostly nonsense that I can't seem to be able to apply for my purposes. If anyone has any insight, that would be great, thanks.

What I believe to be the X Attack code is below (It happens to be the same for all "X" items):
Code:
//---------------
#org 0xA1E7D
removecoins 0x600
call 0xE490E0E
checkitemtype 0x7800
warp4 0x0 0x40 0x18 0x8802 0x2064
applymovementpos 0xC43 0xC184049 0x49 0x9
pokemart3 0xE120612
nop
callasm 0xFA8EF79F
nop
if 0x2 goto 0x132A000E
setworldmapflag 0x4A07
gotostd 0x4B

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
I need help with inserting new OW sprites. I followed part three of Darthatron's guide here, and did the process of adding new OWs (just one extra OW as a test), but when I start up my test rom, everything is fine until the end of the Nidoran/Gengar intro or I skip to the title screen, but then I get a black screen and nothing else.

What I did was:
1. Copied the original OW table from the location "0x0039FDB0" (604 bytes)
2. Used FSF to find an offset of free space containing 608 bytes.
3. Went to (or "goto" in the hex editor) said offset and pasted the original OW table (604 bytes) over the first 604 bytes of 608 bytes of free space. Replaced the last 4 bytes with the pointer to the new OW sprite data.
4. Used FSF to find 36 bytes of free space, enough to add sprite data for the new OW.
5. Went to said offset and replaced the 36 bytes of free space with the sprite data for the first hero OW sprite.
6. Went to the pointer for the original OW table and and changed it to the pointer for the new 608 bytes of OW pointers.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hello there,
I am trying to create a new item that will act similarly to X Attack and friends. I have JPAN's hacked engine, and I have looked at DavidJCobb's tutorial on creating new item effects using the engine. My question is in relation to making a script that will increase attack by one stage in battle and lower accuracy by the same. However looking at what I believe is the X Attack script it seems to be mostly nonsense that I can't seem to be able to apply for my purposes. If anyone has any insight, that would be great, thanks.

What I believe to be the X Attack code is below (It happens to be the same for all "X" items):
Code:
//---------------
#org 0xA1E7D
removecoins 0x600
call 0xE490E0E
checkitemtype 0x7800
warp4 0x0 0x40 0x18 0x8802 0x2064
applymovementpos 0xC43 0xC184049 0x49 0x9
pokemart3 0xE120612
nop
callasm 0xFA8EF79F
nop
if 0x2 goto 0x132A000E
setworldmapflag 0x4A07
gotostd 0x4B

It's not a script, it's pure ASM coding. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to decompile ASM with XSE.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
It's not a script, it's pure ASM coding. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to decompile ASM with XSE.
Ahhh, okay, thank you. I have a little experience with ASM, but what would writing a routine for such an item involve?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I need help with inserting new OW sprites. I followed part three of Darthatron's guide here, and did the process of adding new OWs (just one extra OW as a test), but when I start up my test rom, everything is fine until the end of the Nidoran/Gengar intro or I skip to the title screen, but then I get a black screen and nothing else.

What I did was:
1. Copied the original OW table from the location "0x0039FDB0" (604 bytes)
2. Used FSF to find an offset of free space containing 608 bytes.
3. Went to (or "goto" in the hex editor) said offset and pasted the original OW table (604 bytes) over the first 604 bytes of 608 bytes of free space. Replaced the last 4 bytes with the pointer to the new OW sprite data.
4. Used FSF to find 36 bytes of free space, enough to add sprite data for the new OW.
5. Went to said offset and replaced the 36 bytes of free space with the sprite data for the first hero OW sprite.
6. Went to the pointer for the original OW table and and changed it to the pointer for the new 608 bytes of OW pointers.

Did you find the tutorial I worked on with Darth? You're missing several steps to allow the game to use those OWs as there are limiter bytes. Mine is called Advanced Over World Editing: Part 2.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I'm pretty sure it is attached to the name of the map. However, try scrolling through all of UnLz on 256 color mode like taja... I mean Shadowraze:p suggested.

1) Map Script on the opening map.

2) Here, I think this is how it works:

Map Script-

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @Start
loadpointer 0x{table}
Setvar 0x8006 0x0
setvar 0x8005 0x{see explanation}
special 0x58
end

Table:

See his documentation for how the table is set up.

Var 0x8005-> the first 4 bits tell what data this is:

Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing.
The second byte, I don't know. It says it is used to determine level, but that is in the table.

3) I think I know what you mean, but I'm not completely sure. Could you elaborate more on exactly what you want to happen?

1) Thanks.

2) Thanks again.

3) It has random weather BUT for example it rains, it will rain for about 30 mins. After 30 mins. It will choose another random weather which will again, last for 30 mins. and so on. I think they used the timer specials for that.

karatekid552

Years
1) Thanks.

2) Thanks again.

3) It has random weather BUT for example it rains, it will rain for about 30 mins. After 30 mins. It will choose another random weather which will again, last for 30 mins. and so on. I think they used the timer specials for that.

Ahh, okay. Well, you would use a walking script as far as I know. Then, use the timers where it will start the timer and set a flag. Then the next time it comes through, skip the special to start the timer (check the flag) and check the timer using that special and a compare command. If it has reached a certain point, if jumps to a random weather script and resets the var and timer, if not, the script ends.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Did you find the tutorial I worked on with Darth? You're missing several steps to allow the game to use those OWs as there are limiter bytes. Mine is called Advanced Over World Editing: Part 2.
Okay, I read through the tutorial but the game is still black-screening even after I changed the limiter offset. Are you sure I didn't do anything wrong when I added the new sprite-data pointer table, repointed it, and etc? I can send you an IPS patch of the modified test rom, if you like to look at what I did.

I like a little more help, just to make sure I'm doing things right.

The limiter for OW sprites in FireRed (US) is 0x5F2CE, right?
The actual value of it is EF...I think? EF is hex for 239, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Am I reading the offset incorrectly? Is it two bytes or it is supposed to be six bytes? Not a pointer, since a pointer is eight bytes. Is it supposed to be EF (239)? I thought it would be 96, which is hexadecimal for 150.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I'm pretty sure it is attached to the name of the map. However, try scrolling through all of UnLz on 256 color mode like taja... I mean Shadowraze:p suggested.

Yeah I looked at the R&D for map headers and found nothing. I ran a deep scan and didn't find anything in 256 mode either. I could have missed it, but I have decided to use forests in the forest maps and make do with that, or just use them as routes with no warps into them.

Thanks anyway :D

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Yeah I looked at the R&D for map headers and found nothing. I ran a deep scan and didn't find anything in 256 mode either. I could have missed it, but I have decided to use forests in the forest maps and make do with that, or just use them as routes with no warps into them.

Thanks anyway :D

I just found them again I'll give you the UNLZ numbers just give me some time. :3 I'll edit this post. :3

Not sure of some of this and there might be probably be more so be sure to check it out. :3

262 - Some kind of cave Mt.Moon?
266 - Rocket Hideout?
268 - Cinabbar Mansion
270 - Lavander Tower?
272 - Cerulean Cave?
274 - Rock Tunnel?
276 - Seafoam Islands?
280 - Victory Road
282 - A cave? :/
284 - Safari Zone
290 - Digglet Cave
296 - Viridian Forest?

Apparentyl they're not in 256 color mode but in 16. Also I remembered Dr.Fuji replaced those in Lilac so maybe ask him if you're still confused. :3

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I just found them again I'll give you the UNLZ numbers just give me some time. :3 I'll edit this post. :3

Not sure of some of this and there might be probably be more so be sure to check it out. :3

262 - Some kind of cave Mt.Moon?
266 - Rocket Hideout?
268 - Cinabbar Mansion
270 - Lavander Tower?
272 - Cerulean Cave?
274 - Rock Tunnel?
276 - Seafoam Islands?
280 - Victory Road
282 - A cave? :/
284 - Safari Zone
290 - Digglet Cave
296 - Viridian Forest?

Apparentyl they're not in 256 color mode but in 16. Also I remembered Dr.Fuji replaced those in Lilac so maybe ask him if you're still confused. :3

Thanks heaps Shadowraze. Sorry for a late reply, I had to use a clean ROM because my numbers were different (at 1000) but I followed the offsets so THANKS!

Also now I have these how will I know if these images have raw data? If that's the right word? Generally the next image that follows? Or do I just replace the image and just go from there?

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Thanks heaps Shadowraze. Sorry for a late reply, I had to use a clean ROM because my numbers were different (at 1000) but I followed the offsets so THANKS!

Also now I have these how will I know if these images have raw data? If that's the right word? Generally the next image that follows? Or do I just replace the image and just go from there?

Yes just replace the very next image for the raw.

And if you're not really sure what the image is export the tileset and then export the raw along with it and open it in NTME or Darth TME. :3

karatekid552

Years
Okay, I read through the tutorial but the game is still black-screening even after I changed the limiter offset. Are you sure I didn't do anything wrong when I added the new sprite-data pointer table, repointed it, and etc? I can send you an IPS patch of the modified test rom, if you like to look at what I did.

I like a little more help, just to make sure I'm doing things right.

The limiter for OW sprites in FireRed (US) is 0x5F2CE, right?
The actual value of it is EF...I think? EF is hex for 239, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Am I reading the offset incorrectly? Is it two bytes or it is supposed to be six bytes? Not a pointer, since a pointer is eight bytes. Is it supposed to be EF (239)? I thought it would be 96, which is hexadecimal for 150.

By the fact that it goes black right as the game starts means it can't load the player's OW, so yeah, that is a problem. Probably a bad repoint or something.

The offset is wrong in my tutorial. I had to make another bunch of changes to it due to problems with dynamic OWs and when cleaning up, I screwed up that offset. The right offset is 5F2E0. It should 97 because there are 151 OWs. (people always forget the SS Anne, and in my quote of Darth's tutorial I fixed that.)

Now, the max you can change this limiter to is 239 unless you either are completely deleting everything from the original FR or you follow the later step on the page which is Dealing With Dynamic OWs for FireRed. If you read that section, you will understand.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Uhm... I didn't quite understand "what you meant by get go thing in A-Map" ^^' Anyway, I don't think there is a Mew event in Fire Red... So you'll have to make your own. It's just a regular script... Just copy one of the legendaries script and change stuff like the flag(s), the pokemon cry, ... etc.

Using Mewtwo as a basis, I've replaced every hex value of 96 (Mewtwo) by 97 (Mew):

Spoiler:

What else do I need to change?

I've not done real scripting for months but I think you should use a flag between 0x200 and 0x2FF inclusive, those are safe, iirc.

What are those for and where would I put them? I'm still a newbie as far as scripting/hex editing goes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
How do I make more OWs? I'm using JPAN's engine and I don't understand a bit of his explanation. And karatekid552 and Darth's tut I believe doesn't cover the Advanced OW Editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back