• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if we were all forced to have the same starter

zypher634

zypher634
Years
what if we were all forced to choose the same starter at the beginning of the game and train it to the end. do you guys think you could cope with the less variety or would you make the best of it and make an awesome team around it?

Years
I would personally hate to have to stick to one starter because I actually like using all starters (even if it means making another game over a previous one). I would cope but would be annoyed at having to keep it on the team. Hopefully it would be like Yellow and you could get the other starters at some point.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I would probably struggle with a single starter if its not a starter I would want (Oshawott and Snivy are the only two I use all time).

After starting a new game for the 3rd time (on a new copy of the game), it would probably be boring not having a choice of a different starter.

Years
I wouldn't mind so much if we all had to use the same starter, I just wouldn't be all that happy if we had to keep it in our team for the entire game. If that was the case, I'd relegate it to one of the secondary Pokemon in my party, and work on training others that I caught as my main Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
Well making it as the region's only starter would obviously force us to use it. Although I don't mind being forced to use that starter, other people would be bothered by doing that and I don't see GF forcing you to use only one starter EVER.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Well, I remember that this has happened once before in Pokemon Yellow. I think that having the same starter can get quite boring every time you start a new game, with the same moves, same typing and the same level; but hopefully on the other hand the other starter Pokemon can be obtainable as wild Pokemon. That way there will be more Pokemon for us to catch.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
what if we were all forced to choose the same starter at the beginning of the game
That'd be fine.
and train it to the end.
Absolutely not.

The starter only makes it onto my final team maybe half the time anyway, if even that. I never use just a single team all the way through the game (and honestly have no idea why anybody would, even though, as near as I can tell, EVERYBODY else does). Most of the point of the games, to me, is to catch and use and train and get to know everything I can get my hands on. So I constantly rotate.

So if there was only one starter, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to me anyway, since the only significant thing about the starter is that it's.... the starter. It's the one that I'm given at the beginning, so that I've got something with which to battle and catch others. As soon as I start catching others, the starter is just another pokemon, who'll be in my party if and when it fits in and won't be if it doesn't.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I wouldn't like being told what to have on my team. I would consider that a huge flaw of the game. I'm assuming we can't remove it from our team after it's been picked?

I could probably live with it if we were only forced to pick it as our starter. (and be allowed to throw it away afterwards)

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I'd find it a pain in the crotch as I usually choose my starter based off of the types of the gyms in that game. For example. In Gen 1 I always picked Squirtle for Brock or Mudkip for Roxanne and Watson. So if I were forced to stick with one starter I might be stuck on a part for a long time and it would be a long time because I hate grinding.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Only having one starter available would make Pokemon more RPG-like and also it takes some of the most important features in nearly every Pokemon game:
to be forced to trade with others to get all starters (yes, I hate that aspect xD)

The good thing is: you are able to catch more Pokemon without trading and the start of your journey could be changed so that you could start, for example, in the middle of a forest, trying to get out of there with only that Pokemon. It adds a little more strategy, I guess.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
If every trainer started off with the same Pokémon it'd be chaos! With the huge amount of trainers starting their journey every day and the amount of starters that are needed as a result, that Pokémon's numbers in the wild would decrease substantially with the number being taken increasing exponentially every year with population growth, excess of interest in training Pokémon, etc, resulting in minimal numbers remaining. This would cause the species to become extinct in the wild with no chance of finding mates to breed with, thus resulting in any predators of that Pokémon starving to death and also becoming extinct. The prey that was before hunted by said starter Pokémon would now be present in enormous quantities, thus depleting all of their own resources from the over-grown population and extincting them too. Essentially what we have here is whole ecosystem collapse which would spread throughout the Pokémon world, thus eradicating any Pokémon that you have ever wanted a chance of catching as they'll all be dead from starvation. If you want to cause the end of the world then only give trainers one starter choice - I hope you people are proud of yourselves.

Lol idk it'd be boring using the same one over and over give me lots of cute things to choose from!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
That's how I felt with Pokemon Yellow. It was frustrating to the fact that I'd have Pikachu as a starter and not Eevee. I remember that I was mad to the fact that Gary took Eevee instead of Pikachu, and I was FORCED to take Pikachu. I prefer choosing three starters over forcing to go with one starter. Because that would be just horrible.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I think everyone having the same starter would defeat the purpose of having and using different types. I also think it would also make it harder for new players to learn the difference between types.

This may have been the case in Yellow, but I feel that it is different because you were supposed to be Satoshi/Ash.

Back