• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

restarting, rate my brand new team (OU)

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
okay,so i decided to make a new team from scratch. just by looking at this team, i can tell it needs some work, suggestions are, as always, more than welcome:

Azelf
EVs- 252att/252spd/4hp
nature- jolly
item- focus sash
-stealth rock
-u-turn
-explosion
-thunderpunch

to set up rocks, not used for much else. t-punch to deal with water pokes, u-turn for scout, explosion to get rid of it when i cant use it anymore.

Porygon-Z
EVs- 252sp.att/252spd/4hp
nature- timid
item- choice specs
-tri-attack
-ice beam
-thunderbolt
-dark pulse

my hard hitter, timid lets it outspeed lots of pokes while specs increases power of moves. tri-attack for STAB, t-bolt/ice beam for coverage, daark pulse to get rid of ghost types.

Vaporeon
EVs- 200hp/252def/56sp.def
nature- bold
item- rocky helmet
-scald
-wish
-ice beam
-protect

a more wall like guy, set up to take some hard hits. will replace with porygon2 if good replacement for porygonZ is suggested.

Forretress
EVs- 252hp/100def/156sp.def
nature- careful
item- light clay
-stealth rock
-gyro ball
-reflect
-light screen

a weird set i guess. stealth rock in case azelf dies before setting them up, dual screens to support sweepers, gyro ball to hit stuff.

Mew
EVs- 100hp/100def/100sp.att/100sp.def/108spd
nature- modest
item- wise glasses
-psyshock
-aura sphere
-nasty plot
-softboiled

another weird set, nasty plot for set up, softboiled to heal off damage, att moves for attacking. NOTE: not a sweeper.

Haxorous
EVs-252att/252spd/4hp
nature- jolly
item- focus sash
-dragon claw
-dragon dance
-earthquake
-shadow claw

second sweeper. set up with DD, item to prevent OHKOs, D-claw for STAB, other 2 moves for coverage.

thats what i have as of now, within 4-8 replies ill post an updated lineup.

and im doing this in PO, so making any change isnt a problem.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For Porygon-Z, you can consider Trick over Dark Pulse to let Porygon-Z cripple walls with its Choice item.

Replace Vaporeon's Rocky Helmet with Leftovers. The passive recovery helps. A lot.

While Forretress is somewhat unexpected as a dual screener, people mainly use it for its ability to lay down hazards while Rapid Spinning hazards away from your field. Thanks to its good defensive typing, Virizion can set up Dual Screens nicely:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Taunt
-Giga Drain/Close Combat
Nature: Timid/Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay

If you want to keep Forretress, switch to this:
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Volt Switch
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy

While evenly distributing Mew's EVs across its stats seems tempting, it's not a very good idea because you're not really focusing on the suitable stats the set is utilizing (Special Attack and HP/Speed). Change the EV spread to 224 HP/252 SAtk/32 Spe or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe. For the first spread, this gives Mew enough bulk to set up multiple NPs while outspeeding Tyranitar, as well as hitting harder even prior to setting up NP. The latter spread is for as much speed and power as possible.

Shadow Claw has terrible coverage on Haxorus. EQ does more to Gengar (Mold Breaker ignores Levitate) than Shadow Claw would. Replace it with Outrage because it's so insanely powerful in conjunction with Haxorus' huge 147 Attack and scores KOs that Dragon Claw can't accomplish. If you do, replace the item with Lum Berry to cure any status that Haxorus takes, especially post-Outrage confusion. Change the EV spread to 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spe; that way, Haxorus can survive random attacks like Reuniclus' Psychic.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
PlatinumDude in the case of porygon its nature and item are meant to work together to make it faster and stronger than most other pokes.

with forretress i was using the dual screening thing really as filler, but turns out its been helping me alot, but i will mostlikely give it rapid spin, because hazards mess with this team too much

for the 2 mew sets, well the second is obivously sweeper mew. the first, while having good hp, wouldnt have the bulk to survive a hit from something insane like +3 bullet punch from scizor. ill try them out again, but im also messing with the EVs for its current set.

as for haxorous, well ive always hated outrage, for 2 reasons.
1- it confuses you after usage. 2- i never hit through confusion.
and shadow claw = filler, but outrage = no no. im thinking of some replacements. but youre right, i should add more hp to increase survival.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
PlatinumDude in the case of porygon its nature and item are meant to work together to make it faster and stronger than most other pokes.

with forretress i was using the dual screening thing really as filler, but turns out its been helping me alot, but i will mostlikely give it rapid spin, because hazards mess with this team too much

for the 2 mew sets, well the second is obivously sweeper mew. the first, while having good hp, wouldnt have the bulk to survive a hit from something insane like +3 bullet punch from scizor. ill try them out again, but im also messing with the EVs for its current set.

as for haxorous, well ive always hated outrage, for 2 reasons.
1- it confuses you after usage. 2- i never hit through confusion.
and shadow claw = filler, but outrage = no no. im thinking of some replacements. but youre right, i should add more hp to increase survival.
For Porygon-Z, that's true, but what if you're up against a very sturdy special wall? Trick is up for consideration for the reason I said: to cripple defensive Pokemon by locking them into a single move by taking their Leftovers and replacing it with Porygon-Z's Choice item.

If you really don't like the confusion that Outrage induces, then use a Lum Berry. It really, really helps. You can also have both Outrage and Dragon Claw together on the same set; the former can be used for tearing massive holes into the opponent's HP while the latter can be used as a safe, reliable STAB when you feel that the power of Outrage would be overkill against frailer Pokemon. Dragon and Ground have good coverage together, but that still leaves you a bit vulnerable to Ferrothorn, as explained below.

Last edited:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
You should definitely change vaporeon's item to lefties, you have protect, and you get extra healing when you use that. Rocky Helmet is of no use on the turns in which you use Protect.

As you're not gonna use Outrage on Haxorus you should definitely consider using Brick Break over Shadow Claw. It hits Ferrothorn harder and also helps against Tyranitar. Dual Chop is also an option to break through Substitue and Focus Sash, but other than that it is pretty redundant with Dragon Claw. Brick Break seems to be the most useful.

Mew's EVs are very random. You should never invest that much in Defense and Special Defense without maximizing HP, as HP increases your ability to take hits from both sides of the spectrum (an exception is when something has very high base HP and very low defenses, like Wailord and Wobbuffet). If you must give it 100 SpA and 108 Speed, the remaining EVs should be 252HP/148DEF. But I'd say the best spread for defensive Mew would be 252HP/176def/48Sdef/32Speed.

Oh, and give Mew Leftovers, it'd be more useful than wise glasses with a defensive spread.

Mention which abilities you're using. I'd recommend Water Absorb on Vaporeon, if you aren't already using that (you probably are) and Download on Specs Pory. You're choiced so you'd be switching in and out. So you'd often get a special attack boost, which would power up all your attacks unlike Adaptability.

The Forry set is pretty odd, but keep it if you must. Bronzong is better suited to that set, but I guess it wouldn't be able to cover Mew's weaknesses. And definitely use a -speed nature with 0 speed IVs whenever you use Gyro Ball.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
sorry, i realize i forgot to put the traits up. if i do that, mention it in your posts.

Azelf- pressure

Porygon-z- download

Vaporeon- water absorb

Forrtress- sturdy

Mew- synchronize

Haxorous- mold breaker

Now, PlatinumDude, i reallize that special defensive walls(chansey/blissey) stop porygon in its tracks, but that why i keep mew witrh psyshock and haxorous.
and ive already taken into acount the lum berry, but i still dont like getting confused off my own move.

Sayan,ive switch vaporeons item to leftovers, and will replace shadow claw with brick break. and ive changed mews EVs: 252hp/156sp.att/100spd.
ive also replaced dual screens on forry:
-rapid spin
-gyro ball
-spikes
-stealth rock
speed IVs are also 0.

im looking to replace porygonZ with another guy so i can get porygon2 on this team, any suggestions help.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
sorry, i realize i forgot to put the traits up. if i do that, mention it in your posts.

Azelf- pressure

Porygon-z- download

Vaporeon- water absorb

Forrtress- sturdy

Mew- synchronize

Haxorous- mold breaker

Now, PlatinumDude, i reallize that special defensive walls(chansey/blissey) stop porygon in its tracks, but that why i keep mew witrh psyshock and haxorous.
and ive already taken into acount the lum berry, but i still dont like getting confused off my own move.

Sayan,ive switch vaporeons item to leftovers, and will replace shadow claw with brick break. and ive changed mews EVs: 252hp/156sp.att/100spd.
ive also replaced dual screens on forry:
-rapid spin
-gyro ball
-spikes
-stealth rock
speed IVs are also 0.

im looking to replace porygonZ with another guy so i can get porygon2 on this team, any suggestions help.

Azelf doesn't have Pressure; it has Levitate. xP

Here's a Porygon2 set for you:
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Toxic/Thunder Wave
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 SDef
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Trace

And wouldn't it be easier to only replace Porygon-Z? Porygon2 already shares good synergy with Mew (and Azelf).

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
I just noticed that you had Stealth Rocks on both Azelf and Forry. That's a big no. Azelf is for balanced or hyper-offensive teams that need rocks up as soon as possible to net KOs while Forretress is for more defensive teams. Forretress is also not that good as an only steel type in a team as repeated outrages and stuff can dent it badly, and it also lacks recovery. You can switch Azelf for another steel type like Jirachi. You can use Trick scarf Jirachi over Azelf and switch PoryZ for Pory2 if you want. It gives you a secondary steel type and also a resistance to flying attacks for things that spam Hurricane or Brave Bird.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I just noticed that you had Stealth Rocks on both Azelf and Forry. That's a big no. Azelf is for balanced or hyper-offensive teams that need rocks up as soon as possible to net KOs while Forretress is for more defensive teams. Forretress is also not that good as an only steel type in a team as repeated outrages and stuff can dent it badly, and it also lacks recovery. You can switch Azelf for another steel type like Jirachi. You can use Trick scarf Jirachi over Azelf and switch PoryZ for Pory2 if you want. It gives you a secondary steel type and also a resistance to flying attacks for things that spam Hurricane or Brave Bird.

I second this. How could have I missed that on my last posts?

Anyway, here's what an ideal Jirachi set would look:
-Thunder Wave/Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Wish
-Protect/Fire Punch/Stealth Rock
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/224 SDef/32 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
I had designed an anti-weather Scarf-rachi earlier. Maybe you can use that. It's can unorthodox set, but it is great in dealing with the two most common weather starters Politoed and Tyranitar.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
(don't remember the EVs, but something like 160atk/96SpA/252speed)
+Atk -SDef nature
Iron Head
Thunder
Ice Punch
Trick

Use Iron Head to deal good damage to all Tyranitar and non scarf Terrakion. Thunder kills Politoed and also is good against hurricane Tornados. Ice Punch lets it check Dragonite and Brave Bird Spamming Staraptor. And trick to cripple defensive Pokemon beyond repair.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
i already have a porygon2 set similar to that one:

EVs- 108hp/200def/200sp.def
nature- bold
trait- trace
item- evolite
-tri-attack
-toxic
-recover
-ice beam

theres 1 problem i have with adding Jirachi is then i have 2 steel types, increasing my fire weakness.i know that vaporeon walls fire types,but once its gone theres nothing to stop them from destroying those 2 steel types.

and i have the dual SR just in case azelf cant set them up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
i already have a porygon2 set similar to that one:

EVs- 108hp/200def/200sp.def
nature- bold
trait- trace
item- evolite
-tri-attack
-toxic
-recover
-ice beam

theres 1 problem i have with adding Jirachi is then i have 2 steel types, increasing my fire weakness.i know that vaporeon walls fire types,but once its gone theres nothing to stop them from destroying those 2 steel types.

and i have the dual SR just in case azelf cant set them up.
Then use Heatran. Not only can it act as a backup Stealth Rock user, but it also has an immunity to Fire, because of its Flash Fire ability. If you do decide to use Stealth Rock on Heatran, then replace Forretress' Stealth Rock with Spikes:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
Then use Heatran. Not only can it act as a backup Stealth Rock user, but it also has an immunity to Fire, because of its Flash Fire ability. If you do decide to use Stealth Rock on Heatran, then replace Forretress' Stealth Rock with Spikes:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

hmm, well its tempting. ill try it as a test. and forretress already has spikes on it, so another move would help.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
alright so i tried the heatran and it works pretty well. ill put those moves on forry too.

for my next idea, im thinking of replacing haxorous for a new sweeper.

Back